Aral, 09 Jan 2018Is it worth buying in 2018. And what about SOT for the price, i would say it is good
But if you not looking at price, why buy a phone that came out in January 2017 in January 2018? why not see what better is announced in a month or 2
HTC OS upgrade support is only 18 -24 months, that means there are only 6-12 mounts of support left on the U Ultra.
I enjoy using this phone and would keep it for a next 1 to 2 years before I upgrade again. but if I was to break it now. I would be looking at the U11+ or waiting to see what HTC phablet is coming out this year, not running out to buy a phone that is halfway through its life cycle.
Anth0ny, 08 Jan 2018U ULTRA still on Android 7.0 1. Apps tray icon can't be removed (no swim up for app tray) 2.... moreIt would appear HTC is as bad (i.e. slow) with updates and with features that "should be there" for a 2017 phone.
Gino76, 07 Jan 2018Well, my disappointments with the XZ so far are:
1. Apps tray icon can't be removed
2. No sy... moreU ULTRA still on Android 7.0
1. Apps tray icon can't be removed (no swim up for app tray)
2. No systemwide dark theme (don't know if the theme builder can make the settings background and the notification tray dark but it can change the rest.)
3. It has the selfie cam screen flash option
4. Speakers audio detail is great but volume is not like when it was 2 front facing speakers. still remain meh (a software update can remedy this but Sony chose not to)
5. Camera is fast and has a pro mode but missing spilt mode to record from the front & back camera at the same time.
Anth0ny, 07 Jan 2018yes you can get most of what I mentioned in the play store but this has it without adding load... moreWell, my disappointments with the XZ so far are:
1. Apps tray icon can't be removed
2. No systemwide dark theme (not possible via Themes app or 3rd-party launcher)
3. No selfie cam screen flash option
4. Speakers still remain meh (a software update can remedy this but Sony chose not to)
5. Camera still bit slow to load/ slow shutter + some settings are buried deep in UI
6. Reboot could be faster
All of these post-Oreo 8.0 & december security update.
Gino76, 07 Jan 2018I feel half of the things you mentioned a Samsung or a Sony phone can do and half can be "acti... moreyes you can get most of what I mentioned in the play store but this has it without adding load of installing extra apps to get what this UI has by default and is optimised for this phone. if you have no problem with installing apps for UI change, just stay with your XZ as it's not really old yet. Why upgrade to small improvements? Not like you are looking at 2018 phones to upgrade too.
Anth0ny, 07 Jan 2018Im on October 1st Android Security update, what is your Sony phone on?
There are 2 battery op... moreI think battery life is very subjective. But I expect a 5.2" (& more) screen of IPS tech to have a 3000mAh the very least.
But a 5.2" phone like the Galaxy A5 2017 (the one I have right now) has an AMOLED screen and having seen Touchwiz morped into a lighter UI (Grace UX then to Samsung Experience)I get a solid day & a half (even more) on an average/moderate use. And I watch Youtube going to & from work, I use Google Maps half of my work day, read the news, weather, notes taking, etc.
Sony phones (especially my XZ) is excellent in standby time. But kind of "meh" in terms of web browsing, watching Youtube, etc.
So so far of all my phones the two best phones with true all-day (& more) battery life is my old Moto G4 Plus and Galaxy A5 2017.
Anth0ny, 07 Jan 2018That is just my personal opinion after years of using HTC, my old Samsung SIII and a few times... moreI feel half of the things you mentioned a Samsung or a Sony phone can do and half can be "activated" via a third-party launcher.
My other concern is with a 5.7" screen the 3000mAh battery seem inadequate.
Gino76, 07 Jan 2018How come HTC is better? Does it release security updates every month like Sony? Does it update... moreIm on October 1st Android Security update, what is your Sony phone on?
There are 2 battery optimization modes. Power saver & extreme power saver mode. (which can be set to auto turn on at a set battery %)
Note the battery size is the same as the moto phones you are looking at and HTC phones in general are not as power hungry as say Samsung.
I know nothing about Sony phones, I have never even seen one in person.
That's why I asked you, why you called the moto phones an upgrade, when on paper it looks like a sideways move instead of an update from your xz. I keep HTC phones 2-3 years before I see the need to upgrade. I wanted to change my SIII after 1 year.
Gino76, 07 Jan 2018How come HTC is better? Does it release security updates every month like Sony? Does it update... moreThat is just my personal opinion after years of using HTC, my old Samsung SIII and a few times of using friends moto G phones.
1. The UI is light with very little redundant apps.
2. There is no UI redraw lag when swiping or going back to the home page.
3. The UI is very customizable thanks to the theme engine on the phone or if you want to build your own theme you can go to HTC THEMES (maker pro) web page. (from a PC).
4. It has the new google assistant and the "OK google" activation can be set to work from any screen including the lock screen.
And it can be set to reconize only your voice so other people can't say OK google to activate your phone. And it will type what you say when other people are talking at the same time.
5. The keyboard is skinnable right out of the box.
6. The keyboard can have a dedicated number row.
7. Keyboard auto word suggestions also shows emojis not just words, as you type. Eg. If I type boat, I see the boat emoji as a suggestion along with other words.
8. The all apps grid is 5x6 not 4x5 like the moto phones.
9. The home key, which is also the finger print scanner can also turn on the screen. (no need to press the power button or double tap the screen.
Anything more you want to know about the U ultra UI, just ask.
Anth0ny, 07 Jan 2018O Well if it the feel of the UI is important. HTC is better than motorola in that department.How come HTC is better? Does it release security updates every month like Sony? Does it update to the latest Android software quicker than Sony? Does it optimizes the battery life well despite having a lower than expected battery capacity?
Gino76, 07 Jan 2018True but there are things that i don't like about the UX/UI and software. There are things tha... moreO
Well if it the feel of the UI is important. HTC is better than motorola in that department.
Anth0ny, 06 Jan 2018Why not just stay with the XZ you have? What's wrong with it?True but there are things that i don't like about the UX/UI and software. There are things that are either missing or needs polishing.
amazing phone.gud battery,excellent camera,running smooth.all performances r outstanding.previously i had HTC desire 816..that was also gud.im a HTC fan.i never go for other phones.i strongly recommand htc
Anth0ny, 04 Jan 2018The 2 moto phone are good but not better than the Sony phone you already have. The CPU is not ... moreThere is a big discrepancy in the U Ultra's pricing from an expensive £549 (at Argos) to £349 (at Carphone Warehouse) to only £299 (at Amazon). Prices are at GBP and very unstable and may change time to time. I'm also choosing between the old school/budget Moto G5 Plus and OnePlus 3T.
Yes I know the XZ has water resistance but If I am careful with them that's no problem. The XZ may have front firing speakers but the overall volume/loudness isn't what I want from a smartphone.
I find the G5 Plus' camera better than the newer G5S Plus for many reasons. And I know OnePlus 3T is still a solid choice.
Gino76, 29 Dec 2017I'm trying to sell off my Xperia XZ to get a cheaper (and better?) phone with the HTC U Ultra,... moreThe 2 moto phone are good but not better than the Sony phone you already have. The CPU is not as good. they have mono speaker . They are the same screen resolution.and the charging ports are USB 2.
They are good phones but not upgrades to what you already have.
The ULTRA cost the most. But has higher resolution, bigger screen, boom sound, more RAM, faster CPU. quick charge 3. So it would feel more like & upgrade unlike the moto phones.
aca, 04 Jan 2018is every model global model or there is some model for China or other markets? I just know th... moreI know for sure the US factory unlocked one is single sim. The tray can hold 2 Sims but the software don't support the feature.
I have got mine with only 250 euros in Germany. Price is amazing now for the phone.