This is the best and the cheapest high end mobile you could ever get. I bought two 64 gb (250$) versions and one 128 gb version (300 $ ). The 128 gb version is beast in performance though 64 gb is also very good. i have gifted 64 gb version in my family and kept 128 gb version Sapphire crystal glass for me.
Pros : Great display , Very good stereo speakers , slim , not heaver side easy to carry , Good performance , Best head phone you get in box better than current Iphone 8 . Dual SIM , bigger screen . all these in so less price.
cons : NO 3.5 mm jack , no water resistance , Average battery life ( whole day with moderate usage ). thats it.
Aside from my bad comments, this phone isn't bad.
For the $250 dollar I paid, I get a real flagship phone rather than a mid range phone.
This is not some sort of Chinese brand either, it is the HTC.
At the most budget constrain at the time of buying, this one offer most bang for bucks.
It is not perfect. The lack of 3.5mm jack is big issue. It try to compliments with a type c $100 dollar grade noise cancelling in ear earphone, but still cannot simultaneous charging and listening at the same time.
SOT is shy of 4 hours. Apart from that, it is an ok phone.
Anonymous, 29 Jun 2018This one depend, I prefer the silence option, that is using the fingerprint sensor.
But norma... moreI have the alphanumeric, finger print & OK google unlock setup.
I don't use the pattern because with wet fingers anyone can tilt your phone to the side and see your pattern in the sweat marks
Anth0ny, 28 Jun 2018I suffer from the wet fingers problem too. but drying my fingers and cleaning the home key nor... moreThis one depend, I prefer the silence option, that is using the fingerprint sensor.
But normally I will not use it at all, simply wet finger totally make the fingerprint sensor dirty.
I normally just double tap the screen, and unlock the screen with pattern.
Not the fastest way, but more reliable than fingerprint.
As I say, it is my always sweaty finger that may cause the problem, my area is high humidity too.
Anth0ny, 28 Jun 2018I would say the secondary screen is useless. I like that I can disable popup notifications fro... moreAgain, there is works around for my false trigger or false touch issue.
Probably I shouldn't say the secondary screen not useful.
I should say if the false touch issue is solved whenever I put in my pocket, then it would be very good.
Anth0ny, 28 Jun 2018did you go in your wifi preferences & set "keep wifi on during sleep" to always?Yes, already set to "Always" for "Keep WiFi on during sleep". Issue still happen. Not always disconnected, but do happen sometime.
My router is only the old 2.4Ghz WiFi, wireless N 150mbps, issue may happen on this old WiFi band.
Maybe issue will be gone if connect to 5Ghz WiFi.
I suppose this is some software issue.
Anth0ny, 28 Jun 2018would you say a Samsung S7 is better for a normal user or would it be more annoying?Samsung S7 is not, but Samsung S7 Edge definitely still worth to buy.
Depend on region, mine only comes with 32GB storage, and cost considerably more (almost 50% more expensive), so that's why I don't go with it.
But for normal user, yes, Samsung S7 Edge is more recommended.
There is also Samsung Note FE, and also Oneplus 3T, for around that same pricing.
Anonymous, 28 Jun 2018Been using this phone for 3 months, 64GB version, so here are my thought: 1. Obviously, the 3... moreI suffer from the wet fingers problem too. but drying my fingers and cleaning the home key normally works. I also set up "ok google" to wake & unlock my phone. and it does very well in distinguishing my voice over other voices part in thanks to the 4 mics. I know it's not foolproof but its good enough for my normal locking needs
Anonymous, 28 Jun 2018Been using this phone for 3 months, 64GB version, so here are my thought:
1. Obviously, the 3... moreI would say the secondary screen is useless. I like that I can disable popup notifications from social apps and get the notifications on the second screen only. which does not disturb the app im in but I can still see the message. I like that I can have all my communication app icons there for quick app switching without having to press the app switcher button first.
I like that some 3rd music player apps can load their basic play interface on the second screen so you can have some music control without leaving your active app.
Anonymous, 28 Jun 2018Been using this phone for 3 months, 64GB version, so here are my thought: 1. Obviously, the 3... moredid you go in your wifi preferences & set "keep wifi on during sleep" to always?
Anonymous, 28 Jun 2018Been using this phone for 3 months, 64GB version, so here are my thought: 1. Obviously, the 3... morewould you say a Samsung S7 is better for a normal user or would it be more annoying?
Been using this phone for 3 months, 64GB version, so here are my thought:
1. Obviously, the 3.5mm headphone jack is missing, this is the biggest issue. I have buy the USB C to 3.5mm accessory, the original HTC one work right out of the box (sadly, not included in the original phone box, need to buy separately), but cannot charge the phone at the same time. The OEM one, like Baseus brand, which can charge the phone and listen to music via 3.5mm jack at the same time, need to install an apps called Audio Router to force the sound output to the 3.5mm jack. So, technically, it works with any brand of type C to 3.5mm converter, but need a workaround app to use. I'm not a music listener with headphone/earphone (I actually hate those), I prefer proper loud speaker, so this is not so much an issue for me, I seldom use headphone.
2. Battery life really is just average, powerbank is needed, won't last a day with my usage pattern. You can use any Qualcomm certified quick charger to charge. I buy the Xiaomi Powerbank 2, which support Qualcomm QC 2.0 to use with this phone. My car also installed a Qualcomm QC 3.0 car charger. No issue for me if I can quick charge the phone after battery is less than 40% in a day.
3. Yes, the backside is slippery, I crack my back glass too, but it is ok, I covered it with a sandstone cover, that's it. Not much can do with bare glass back. I am not the kind of showing off. I prefer the usability over the cosmetic beauty.
4. Secondary screen doesn't very useful, can accidentally trigger other function when put in my pocket. The secondary screen will be wake up when lift up the phone, like the case in the pocket. There is pocket mode to block the secondary screen wake up. Work around is disable the function toggle page of the secondary screen.
5. Some minor WiFi stability issue, where WiFi will disconnected at some time. This only happen on this phone, I got other backup phone that work without issue. Certainly is not my router issue, is this phone issue.
6. Fingerprint sensor not always work, might due to my sweaty finger (I live in tropical country), and my finger skin change. Need to calibrate and reset from time to time. This might not is the sensor issue. I have try other phone with fast fingerprint sensor, same issue with sweaty finger.
7. Direct hot swap out the sim card and Micro SD card without turn of the phone from the sim tray will cause the phone cannot detect the Micro SD card when put back. Phone will overheat if not rebooted to detect the card, even reboot is selected, it won't reboot, just goes to a blank black screen. Must press power button and volume minus button to force a phone reboot into recovery menu, then select reboot for the phone to properly reboot. After reboot, the phone back to normal.
8. Otherwise, everything else just work like a flagship smartphone, with great power and speed, great speaker, great screen, and much less heating.
The only reason I buy this phone is because it is the cheapest Snapdragon 821 phone sold at my country (just around USD 250), almost half the price of other similar spec phone, that still comes with Micro SD slot, that also actually flagship grade, but with some flaws. It is much less heated than my previous phone when is stressed by using camera for long time, or playing very heavy games. On normal usage, no heating issue what so ever.
All in all, this phone is not for everyone. The battery life is bad and the missing 3.5mm headphone jack is annoying. Secondary screen doesn't really useful. Some issue here and there, not serious issue, but can be annoying. Otherwise, it works like a normal Android smartphone. Performance wise, it doesn't disappoint.
I advise don't go for this phone.
For me, I'm ok, because I am a software engineer, some workaround to make things work doesn't quite bother me, I know how these workaround works. But for normal user, you can get annoyed with these problem. Just skip this phone and get something else.
Juli, 28 Jun 2018I really like it and i want it to stay with me at least 2 and half years So should i go for it ?as you plan to keep it for a long time, you should not buy it used. as the charging cycles on the battery could have already been reduced by more than a year use.
Juli, 28 Jun 2018I really like it and i want it to stay with me at least 2 and half years
So should i go for it ?if you ok with staying on Oreo or Android P for the 2.5 years, don't see any reason. you should not get it.
but please invest in a good TPU case and a tempered glass screen protector. if you want the shell of this phone to last that long. remember its made of glass, not plastic or aluminum.
it doesn't matter that its gorilla brand glass. it's still not as shatterproof as metal or plastic.
Anth0ny, 28 Jun 2018my phone before this was the HTC ONE MAX and before that the Samsung SIII
so what was annoy... moreI really like it and i want it to stay with me at least 2 and half years
So should i go for it ?
Juli , 28 Jun 2018And is there anything annoying about this phone or not good ? my phone before this was the HTC ONE MAX and before that the Samsung SIII
so what was annoying about this phone is.....
1. how slippery, easily scratchable & crackable the back glass is. the 1 time I had it out of my case, I was sitting on the floor & watched it slip right off my lap to the floor and the back glass got scratched. in the 2nd month of having it, I shattered the back glass. had the buy a replacement glass on ebay. I put a skin on the back as soon as I replaced it.
2. there is no extended battery case for this phone like I could have gotten for my SIII & ONE MAX.
3. I still miss having dual front-facing speakers which were on the HTC ONE MAX
4. I miss not having HTC branded album and music player. they both did things I can't find in a single app so now I have to use more than 1 app to get the same things done.
as for the rest, I really do enjoy using this phone and don't see the need to upgrade to any other 2018 phone.
Juli, 28 Jun 2018Is the U Ultra good for a long term using like 3 years or not ? I really like this phone but I... moreI was good for 3 years but now it's already 1.5 years old.
Half of the 3 years is already gone.
The promised Android update window for most phone is 18 months, so Android P is the last version on Android this phone is going to get.
Anth0ny, 27 Jun 2018I would day U Ultra for smooth performance, quicker response time and better audio quality &am... moreIs the U Ultra good for a long term using like 3 years or not ? I really like this phone but I donÂ’t know some people say it is good and others say itÂ’s the worst phone ever