AnonD-547843, 12 Jun 2016Just bought mate 8 few days ago..overall experience..7/10..
I bought this due to several good... moreDue to a number of posts like yours about the poor quality of the Mate 8 camera I've waited more than 2 months before deciding to buy one. I have 2 Canon DSRL, a Sony RX100 and a few compact cameras (Canon, Panasonic, Kodak) so it's obvious that quality of the camera for me is one of the most important features in a smartphone. After getting the Mate 8 I must say that I was surprised by the general good quality of the pictures I could snap. After about 6 weeks I would rate the camera with a score around 7/8 (out of 10).
Here are some UNEDITED pictures I took, you can judge by yourself:
There are better camera phones out there (Huawei P9, Samsung S6 and S7, LG G4, G5 and V10, iPhone 6 and 6S to name a few) but they are not without faults and often the quality of the pics taken with the Mate 8 is VERY close to them.
Mate 8 has a good general purpose camera, the focus is reliable, the lens is good (I cannot see a significant image degradation at the corners of the image), it has an effective optical image stabilisation, the exposure is good, the colours are natural and even in low ligth and high ISO the pictures are comparable (if not better) to the ones taken with a Canon or Panasonic compact camera.
- HDR mode is not particularly effective (could be fixed with a sw update)
- not the ideal camera for macros (it cannot focus closer than 7-8 cm)
- some noise is visible even at low ISO in areas of homogeneous colour, in particular the blue of the sky. This is a choice by Huawei in order to preserve the details of the image. All cameras with a small sensor have a lot of noise visible in the raw file. Then the jpeg engine settings determine the amount of noise that remains in the finale jpeg image file and the level of detail that will be sacrificed. The noise in Mate 8 pics can be easily removed with very little degradation of the image by post processing with sw like DeNoise or Noiseless (for OSX).
- sometimes the white balance (particularly with a cloudy weather or in the shade) is not spot on
- cannot easily freeze fast moving subjects. For that you need a DRLS or maybe you can get more successful shots with the Samsung S7 camera with its new Dual Pixels technology
Just bought mate 8 few days ago..overall experience..7/10..
I bought this due to several good reviews I read online..
I wouldn't mentioned the good points..I have a few negative issues..
1) Software is still buggy..unresponsive touch..fingerprint ID sometimes required rekeying pin, Notification doesn't show on lock screen even setup as. EMUI still lacking some functions.
2) Camera is the biggest disappointment..all pictures taken are rendered artificially..edges are overly smoother. Auto focus tends to in the wrong place in taken pictures.
3) Sound from right speaker only even though it has 2 speakers openings.
Hope the future software will improve the overall experience..
Joed, 10 Jun 2016just brought the phone 4/64gb 3 day ago n the phone is awesome for me.hi.. i'm planning on buying this phone too...
it's really awesome,huh..
i'm still reading all the reviews from users..
Anonymous, 11 Jun 2016Mate 8 or P9 plus?mate8 is bigger so better to have a try in shop as it may surprise you. then you may be in a better position to have a decision since it's not a cheap device.
far, 10 Jun 2016LG v10 is better or mate 8 or Honor 7? Could you please help me. I want to buy which one of them. Mate 8 but lg v10 is good too I like it's design but the battery discharge quickly thats y I didn't bought v10 so I prefer mate 8 otherwise the choice is all urs
Anonymous, 11 Jun 2016if you have extras, grap mate8. it's proved by its domestic market the very successful model.Mate 8 or P9 plus?
far, 10 Jun 2016LG v10 is better or mate 8 or Honor 7? Could you please help me. I want to buy which one of them. if you have extras, grap mate8. it's proved by its domestic market the very successful model.
far, 10 Jun 2016LG v10 is better or mate 8 or Honor 7? Could you please help me. I want to buy which one of them. I prefer lg v10
far, 10 Jun 2016LG v10 is better or mate 8 or Honor 7? Could you please help me. I want to buy which one of them. Mate 8
LG v10 is better or mate 8 or Honor 7?
Could you please help me. I want to buy which one of them.
AnonD-290346, 08 Jun 2016hisilicon kirin no support 4K video..good idea..are u joker or crazy? but design not bad..now... moreno need to 'perfect'. it's commercial product so need room to 'upgrade'. see how iphn is going.
could you help me please , which is better P8 Max or mate 8
i know that max is bigger in the screen and mate 8 higher in other specs. but from the review it shows that P8 max don't have problems and mate 8 after update having camera and battery issues ?
so please advise
Anonymous, 09 Jun 2016it's all right. the left is mic and right one is speaker.Thank you!...
Whatever the people r saying against mate 8 , come on guys use a lil bit sense company did not say that it'll be the last phone on earth but overall it's good enough.. a bit less is not a big deal ...I m happy with it and performance is blazing fast speedy and design is really good with big beautiful display, i just love it and stop complaining nothing is perfact and one last thing company did not pay me to love it