as a mobile tablet I cant fault it. runs ever app without problems, updates are easy and i does not overheat as much as my G3 did
However, using it as a phone I am disappointed - it is nowhere as good as the G3. The cell signal pick up is not as good. I have to talk to all callers using speaker phone or head phones as the built in speaker is so very quiet.
On my old G3 i could set all my media notifications to silent yet still have call ringing at full volume so I could hear incoming calls - i thought i had the same settings on this G5 but I never hear my phone ring.
I cant wait for my contract to be up so I can change this phone for something else
Things I love about the fabulous LG G5
The Screen :
- it's stunning
- always registers touches
- very responsive
- very accurate / natural colours
- beautiful colour contrast
- extremely sharp
- silky smooth Gorilla Glass 4
- resists smudging well
- easy to clean
- my only criticism is that it's a bit darker than the LG G4 screen ... but this is vastly outweighed by the gains
- LG really have nailed it with this one ... its size and dimensions are perfectly proportioned
- the rounded edges make holding this phone a joy ... was made for holding
- the width is perfect - making the grip comfortable and secure
- the thickness is just right - there are too many thin / fly-away phones out there
- the density / weight of the phone are fantastic ... it wants to stay planted in the hand
- the size, weight and density make it extremely satisfying in the hand
- it's beautifully balanced
- The convex curvature at the top of the phone is beautiful
- The bezel above the screen is black - and the one below is silver ... so you always know which way up the phone is
- It's a very clean front face
- The lock / fingerprint reader on the back is a joy to use - it's recessed and the concavity makes it easy to find and inviting to use ... a triumph, bravo LG !
- The side-mounted volume buttons are nicely weighted - and always but always register presses
- The wide-angle rear camera is a joy
- The regular camera takes good quality, natural shots
- moving it from the back (LG G4) to the bottom was a good move
- it's nice and loud - and produces satisfying and rich sound
- all the goodness of Android 7.0 Nougat
- LG's skin is light, intuitive and nicely done
- slick, snappy and smooth
- doesn't struggle for speed
- maintains its snappy performance
- sterling performance
- being replaceable is a bonus rather than a necessity
- by a long chalk, the best phone I've ever had the pleasure of using
- makes me WANT to use it and find any excuse for doing so
- satisfying to hold and behold ... looks good, feels great
- it's nice when the design effort invested by a manufacturer translates into such a viscerally satisfying user-experience
- by far, the best phone of 2016
- a tour de force by LG
yep it's still good. battery life is good, screen looks nice once you install a blue light filter app (1800k at 5%) and forget about it. GPS antenna can be an issue, was on one out of three of the G5s i've owned. Was able to open and fix the poor contact. Wish it could get oreo, meh..
Anonymous, 13 Jul 2018How the phone performs? Camera, battery and display? I want to buy one but the battery seems s... moreBuild quality is not the best and battery life is mediocre... but if you can get it for less than 100US dollars the G5 can be a great deal, good performance, decent camera and pretty good screen.
I bought one and I'm very impressed. 130,000 on antutu which is much faster than any phone under $100 like the G5 sells for. No phone under $100 has 4gb of ram either. Runs everything you can throw at it. Screen looks amazing.
Anonymous, 13 Jul 2018How the phone performs? Camera, battery and display? I want to buy one but the battery seems s... moreNoo...its only depends on your luck, if find are good one...after 6 m i have screen problem camera problem fingerprint problem..and battery is very disapointed
How the phone performs? Camera, battery and display? I want to buy one but the battery seems small and some critics on display which is not very bright and it is not Oled display. Guys is it worth it? Good in 2018?
Anonymous, 04 Jul 20183 LG G5 phones all 3 are garbage. Dropped calls, power button no longer works, GPS has complet... moreI think you don't take care of ur phones I mean 1 defective phone may happen even it happened to me g4 .. the other is still in my house working fine but g5.... I got 1 and it works just fine I had a minor issue but software related and I fixed it my self already ......
but 3 phones .. you might be purchasing counterfeit / used / user refurbished phones ... you cant have such a bad luck on a brand new hand set 3 times.. ... dismiss
Uppercut, 27 Jun 2018The Good: Great modular design. One of the few phones left on the market with a removable batt... more3 LG G5 phones all 3 are garbage. Dropped calls, power button no longer works, GPS has completely failed and is currently trying to find itself. What a waste! Other issues include the burn screen and the screen freezing. Just to name a few.
Oathbreaker, 03 Jul 2018RS988 Get it unlocked. I had the Sprint variant and it showed image retention after three m... morei can tell this there is something funny about it.... I own rs988 tried to take it from stock that came in box 7.0 to 6.0.1 due to software issues related to sd card writing using game emulators .... when I went to 6.0.1 I got image retention which I never had on 7.0 I was shocked about it ....I think lg did something about refresh rate I guess ... because when I upgraded it again for a bout a week and a half the retention is gone .... I se my phone at 60% brightness level ... even on 6.0.1 used it on 15% and I was still getting retention .. for me the screen is not bad at all but the issue is on the refresh rate controller surely and / or maybe too on color calibration because they are good but not as oversaturated and they were before... and yes rs988 is the best you can gte I have mine with 128 gb external card nothing else I can ask ill stay with it until it die ... because it is easy to fix as well
Rob, 21 Jun 2018Which model of lg g5 is the best? RS988
Get it unlocked. I had the Sprint variant and it showed image retention after three months. It did have FM radio. My RS988 I got 9 months ago from B&H has image retention too but doesn't show as much.
My RS988 is still on Marshmallow and it's still my favorite smartphone of all-time. Underrated.
The Good: Great modular design. One of the few phones left on the market with a removable battery.
The Bad: I have 4x of these phones. 3 were purchased brand new and one was purchased used.
The 1st one I had lasted for about a year. In that time, the camera on the back of the phone could no longer focus properly. The GPS completely failed about 2 to 3 months in. The USB-C port on the phone could no longer keep the USB-C cable in correctly to properly provide a fast charging connection.
The 2nd one I had lasted for about a year as well. In that time, it exhibited the same issues as the 1st phone with both the GPS failing and USB-C port unable to provide a fast charging connection over time. About 6+ months in, the power button stopped functioning. I was left too power up my phone by holding the volume button.
The 3rd phone, is a month old and CONSTANTLY drops calls. The other party is constantly breaking up over the phone. I live in the city, service is 4G with full bars almost everywhere. This shouldn't be a problem but it is. I expect the GPS on this device to fail very soon as well based on my prior experiences.
I'm done with LG phones. This phone had great ideas but was done in by poor craftsmanship. There should be no reason why i'm on my 4th LG G5 phone in a little over 2 years.
Upsi, 22 Jun 2018You are liar...its no possible for the same volume double off capacityQuiet down, you don't know what you are talking about.
I've had the LG G5 for about 3 weeks now, and I think that is enough time to really get to know the phone.
First off my initial impressions of the build, speed and camera were spectacular. Lightning fast for a 2 year old phone, camera is super detailed and the build just feels right in my opinion.
Until I realized how fast the battery started to drain, like each percentage was dropping by the second, like the battery turned into a 100 second timer, you can fix this by using a quick charger but it still drains super fast because of the stock 2800mah battery.
This really bummed me out considering the quality of the rest of the phone.
I was ready to go back to my previous phone, until I found a 4050mah battery replacement, which made the battery life turn from seconds to a full day of usage.
Now that I've replaced it with the new battery I can proudly say it is the best phone ive ever used.
You can get this for under $100 on ebay refurbished , I would totally recommend getting that.
Just make sure you get the 4050mah battery replacement which can go for around $15 on ebay.