Shahzaib, 06 Jun 2018Dear,
Which unit u have owned? Which carrier?H990N, both units.
I rate the V20 as 10 out of 10. Most feature sets of phones are very similar and I've gone through a lot. Two standout features the DAC and the 2nd screen.
The DAC puts out incredible sounding music to the point that I completely rebuilt my car audio. It is simply miles ahead of other phones and unlike the V20 I have a256gb card in it and play hirez music almost exclusively.
The 2nd screen is very very convenient and something other phones should use.
Battery life is adequate for me and all other features are good.
The only thing is missed from the Samsung was wireless charging but that was easily fixed.
I will likely have this phone for a long time.
I ended up buying three
Note 3 user, 06 Jun 2018May i know this lg v20 got bootloop issue? Or motherboard issue like previous lg brand?
Think... moreLg v10 do have a bootloop issue buying v20 is safe as im using it its H918 no problem till now love this phone
One problem that im facing is, when i charge this phone with genuine lg 1.8 amp fast charger the phone charges in 40 minutes from 0 to 100 and the end in an hour, but when i use 1amp charger of samsung the phone takes 3 hours to charge and lasts for a day (23 hrs).
Is it a battery problem or lg charger's
Forgot to mention:
Sometime the phone losses 2% battery instead of 1% at a time
Note 3 user, 06 Jun 2018May i know this lg v20 got bootloop issue? Or motherboard issue like previous lg brand? Think... moreThe bootloop issue was affecting several batch of G4. The V20 are running totally without this issue. Personally I tell you that I own two units and since more than one year everything runs perfectly.
Anonymous, 06 Jun 2018Again like I said this phone is an example of LG throwing everything at the wall and seeing wh... moreThe things I mentioned below that make the V20 superior to other crippled flagship phones are not gimmicks. FM radio and IR blaster are not gimmicks. Just because you don't use those two of the fourteen features I mentioned doesn't make the entire feature set a gimmick. If there's any gimmick, then its those fragile curved 18:9 screens that are unwanted touch magnets and fracture magnets, the wireless charging which is a poor substitute for a removable or at least a bigger 4000mAh battery, and waterproofing that is effective only for a few months unless the seals that become brittle and water permeable are a replaced at least annually, waterproofing that no phone manufacturer warranty covers if you happen to damage the phone. Naive buyers prioritize them thinking these worthless features add long term value or make the phone last long or survive accidents better, but no, they realize broken curved screens and horrible battery drain after a year of use actually happen a lot more often.
Again, as I said in an earlier post:
If you only use your smartphone for call and text and lots of photo sharing on Facebook, then you have absolutely no need for the V20's multitude of features and manual controls above and as such, any disposable flagship phone with sealed battery, 18:9 curved amoled screen or amoled screen with notch will do. Heck, even cheap China made phones will do. You won't notice the low image quality in Facebook anyway since 5.5-6.5" NarrowView 18:9 screens are too small to show any glaring photo quality difference anyway as most phones, even entry level ones now take acceptable to good quality photos.
For the rest who truly are tired of annual upgrades and disposable flagship phones that have nothing new to offer other than a new processor, superfluous RAM, or a new camera that isn't significantly better, then the V20 is for you now more than ever.
May i know this lg v20 got bootloop issue? Or motherboard issue like previous lg brand?
Thinking to change my old galaxy note 3 to this lg v20 or v10
Anonymous, 05 Jun 2018Again, let me enumerate the features that truly make the V20 unique:
1. The V20 has a built... moreAgain like I said this phone is an example of LG throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks. This phone proves there is more than just cramming as many features into a phone for it to be successful.
The screen is average at best, but dimmer than the G4's. The battery life is below average and the ability to swap for a fresh battery that will extend the bad battery life is unacceptable to most consumers. No waterproofing, most phone manufacturers do drop testing on their designs so whatever most phones can take a drop, please note your v20 warranty doesn't cover damage caused by drops same as phones with said waterproofing aren't covered by warranty caused by water.
It's got big bezels and is generally a not good looking phone so I'm guessing next to no women bought this phone despite it being available in pink.
Everything else you wrote is just gimmicks and stuff. I'll take wireless charging over fm radio AND ir blaster because I actually use wireless charging where as I never use the radio or blaster.
Good luck with your purchase validation endeavor! Nobody should buy this phone in 2018, even LG has forgotten about it as this phone didn't meet their sales expectations and even the Note 7 battery fiasco couldn't push people to the v20. Incredible how on paper this phone looks like winner but in real life it's a disappointment.
Many people cannot sing the excellence of the ephemeral in their respective forums, don't hesitate to denigrate the sin of LG.
Again, let me enumerate the features that truly make the V20 unique:
1. The V20 has a built-in IR blaster to control all your appliances including those of your noisy neighbors. Volume of their sound system too high? Turn it down or turn it off with your V20 secretly through their window. It will scare the hell out of them so they will stop being noisy. Want to input your song number in a karaoke player? You can do it with your V20! Aircon? TV? Washing Machine? Car stereo? Teach your V20. It has a learn mode! Just REALLY spend time learning how to use it and customizing it and you'll wonder how you ever survived using a phone without one.
2. The V20 has dedicated sd card slot, not that stupid hybrid slot where you are forced to choose between dual SIM or one SIM + SD card only. With the V20, you can use the 2 SIM slots AND still add your SD card. What's more, the V20 supports up to 2TB micro sd cards.
3. The V20 is probably the ONLY recent flagship with analog FM radio. All the rest have removed it. When theres a calamity, you'll realize its utmost value when nothing other than your FM radio is working. When you just have to listen to your favorite DJ on those long trips without data available, you are going to realize how much you miss not having an FM radio with you, anytime, anywhere, without wasting data and draining your battery in the process.
4. The V20 has drop resistance which ensures your phone will handle drops. More important than waterproofing really. I have dropped my phone a lot more times than wetting it with liquid and damaging it in the process.
5. The V20 has slimport (hdmi out/4K video out) capability. Wireless screen share of movies is nice but results to downgrade in video quality due to WiDi bandwidth limitations. Not so with slimport. Also, the V20 is licensed to play Google Play movies in HD. You may not be aware of it or notice it but on a Xiaomi, Huawei, Oppo, Vivo, Oneplus, Lenovo, and other lesser known phones, HD playback on the phone of Google play movies is not allowed even if the phone is capable. It's a DRM (digital rights management) /studio thing. You can't change it.
6. The V20 has removable battery. Low batt? Replace with a fully charged spare while charging the depleted battery using an external charger accessory. That means no charging time needed, no wear and tear of usb port (loosening), and no frequent exposure of phone internals from heat generated due to charging. Forget slow wireless charging! Why accelerate battery wear with even more heat? External charging is best!
7. The V20 has high quality audio recording, high-quality 4K video capture with manual controls and superb photo capture with dual cameras and full manual controls.
8. The V20 has a high resolution QHD IPS display with SECOND SCREEN. Place app shortcuts, your name or even Christmas greetings or whatever you like (Halloween, Valentines, emojis, etc.) on the second screen.
9. The V20 has fast charging when you need it through USB-C. It's OTG compatible too! Usb thumb drives, external hard drives, even those in NTFS and exFAT formats (not limited to FAT32) can be read with the proper app.
10. The V20 has analog headphone jack when all the rest have removed it.
11. The V20 has LTE advanced (4G+) with support for wall penetrating 700mhz. It has ABILITY to FORCE network mode to 4G/4G+ only (LTE only) for those places where the auto mode (GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto) keeps on giving you the slower HSPA/HSPA+ (H/H+) signal. You can't do that on iPhones, Huaweis and Samsungs.
12. The V20's screen is a bright, 5.7" IPS panel in ideal 16:9 aspect ratio. 18:9 may be IN nowadays but consider this: 18:9 screen actually makes Facebook photo feeds smaller! 18:9 is too narrow. It makes keyboard typing cramped for the same screen diagonal! Reading in 18:9 curved phones look like reading text from a bottle of shampoo! Too much scroll! Amoled screens look nice, but if you didn't know already, they actually have much shorter life span than IPS panels. Amoleds tend to burn all their blue pixels and white pixels faster than the red and green ones, losing brightness faster with time and skewing the white balance towards reddish or amber tones.
13. The V20 has a powerful processor but costs only half to 1/3 the price of current flagships. Do you need the fastest processor for Facebook, Mobile Legends and Clash of Clans? No! Even the midrange snapdragon 625 will be do. Processors are like cars. The only benefit of the fastest cars are bragging rights and speeds in the race track. They're barely noticeable in everyday city driving.
14. The V20 supports hidden SSID in hotspot. Want to share your V20's data connection to your other devices via wifi hotspot without letting others know? Just set the SSID to hidden and nobody will ever ask you what your wifi/hotspot password is.
The V20 is a phone meant to last and built to last, and not some latest trendy model that gets dumped after every year when newer flashy designs and newer models are released.
Get the V20 if you truly want to slow down the nonsensical yearly upgrade cycle phone manufacturers push so hard on consumers with the main objective of making your phone obsolete faster than ever, but actually adding nothing meaningful other than a fresh new exterior design and a new color option.
Exterior designs and looks rapidly go out of style. Useful features like those enumerated above don't.
Anonymous, 04 Jun 2018When it comes to technology 99% of the time newer does = better. You probably think more feat... moreFor V20 owners who bought the V20 because they need a master remote with them all the time, an FM radio with them all the time, unlimited battery power with them all the time without being tethered to a powerbank or to the wall charger, additional 400gb external storage without losing dual sim functionality, lte only option, slimport usbc to hdmi out option, and even making the phone an invisible hotspot (enabling a hidden SSID name so no one will ask for your hotspot password), then yes, the V20 is absolutely the best phone in existence bar none, EVEN in 2018. Excellent photo, video and audio recording capabilities with fully manual settings/options are just added bonuses.
Now if you only use your smartphone for call and text and lots of photo sharing on Facebook, then you have absolutely no need for the V20's multitude of features and manual controls, and as such, any disposable flagship phone with sealed battery, 18:9 curved amoled screen or amoled screen with notch will do. Heck, even cheap China made phones will do. You won't notice the low image quality in Facebook anyway since 5.5-6.5" NarrowView 18:9 screens are too small to show any glaring photo quality difference anyway as most phones, even entry level ones now take acceptable to good quality photos.
Like it or not, the V20 was, is and will be the last smartphone of its kind to be truly smart and versatile, to truly have almost everything you could ask for, not to mention, to be truly designed with longevity in mind rather than planned obsolescence as a goal. LG realized the mistake that was the V20 and so copied Samsung's planned obsolescence strategy for more frequent phone upgrades and more sales.
Anonymous, 02 Jun 2018This confirms my suspicions and is probably a very accurate long term review. Most fanboys us... moreThose who don't own a V20 really do not know how insignificant the screen retention is but keep on raising it as some huge issue. It doesn't exist for most users and for others, they are barely perceptible and goes away after the static screen has changed to another screen or after the phone screen has been off for a while. Nothing lasting or permanent and definitely not quite as glaring, visible, and permanent (as in permanent screen damage) as can happen with amoled screens of the same number of running hours of cumulative use as the V20's ips screen.
CalibreTechFilms, 02 Jun 2018Here are my honest reviews after using my V20 for 16 months (previously Note 7 users). the ... moreSorry wrong verdict. V20 users/buyers stick with the V20 because it is the last feature packed flagship phone of its kind - features newer flagship phones don't have. Go ahead keep on buying new disposable sealed battery flagship phones with no dedicated sd card slots, no FM radios, no IR blasters, no removable batteries, no 16:9 screens, etc. That is not what many V20 owners want.
clueless, 05 Jun 2018turn on airplane mode. 6 hours later no battery drain at all. this means battery is still ok. ... moreIf data is always on when network is on, background processes (updates, sync, battery draining apps, etc) are at fault. Otherwise, change the battery. You probably have a bad one Also check for malware and do factory reset just in case (assuming your battery is really ok).
turn on airplane mode. 6 hours later no battery drain at all. this means battery is still ok.
turn off airplane. everything off except network. no apps running just sleep. 3 hours later 30% drain.
what is draining in its sleep?
Anonymous, 03 Jun 2018Yes, it's still overall the best phone in the world. You are incompetent because you think "ne... moreWhen it comes to technology 99% of the time newer does = better. You probably think more features = better phone but that is not always the case. The v20 is a clear example of LG throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks. If only it was as easy as just packing a phone full of features, buttons, cameras, and other gimmicks for it to be a home run success, unfortunately, it's not that easy and I think LG learned that from the v10 and v20.
Tell me, was your last phone newer or older than the v20? It was (most likely) older, hence the v20 was newer and it is better than your last phone. Now, your next phone will it be older or newer than the v20? Again, it will be newer and most definitely better than your v20 in which you will be then saying that phone is the best in the world. We all keep buying newer phones and they keep getting better so arguing that phones have taken steps backwards since the release of the v20 seems just like a really convenient argument for a v20 fanboy. Then you will buy your next phone and you will be in forums for years saying that is the best phone in the world until you buy yet your next phone and the cycle repeats. Let me guess, every phone you've owned was the best in the world at the time you owned it, right?
This phone has screen quality issues, below average battery life and lacks convenient features such as wireless charging, no way this is the best phone in the world. I could agree it's probably the last best phone with a removable battery, but best phone in the world? -- not a chance.
For the record I don't think I own the best phone in the world.
Anonymous, 03 Jun 2018Yes, it's still overall the best phone in the world. You are incompetent because you think "ne... moreI totally agree with you.
If you look a few comments behind, now on the 2nd or 3rd page, I've shared my 1+ years experience with the device, only positives with a single exception, the ghosting effect of the screen.
I'm not sure what's the incentive for some people to denigrate this device it's the last true flagship with many features and build advantages over most of the devices on the market today.
Anonymous, 03 Jun 2018Ridiculous review ruined by your verdict statement that the v20 is "still the best phone in th... moreYes, it's still overall the best phone in the world. You are incompetent because you think "newer = better", because that's not always the case. The only thing that is better (slightly) in newer phones is the CPU and camera. That's all. And that's just because it's a mandatory upgrade from year to year. Everything else is worse in newer phones.
I don't admit anything. I tell the facts.
Wireless charging and water resistance are also unimportant gimmicks.
Winning awards doesn't mean anything. They are sponsored contents, paid advertisements like DxOmark and Displaymate and most phone review articles.
Yes, the vast majority of people are primitive, therefore they don't appreciate the true good things.