This phone would've been the best but...
1. The bluetooth option needs a lot of work. I want to be able to accept multiple files at once via Bluetooth instead of accepting them one by one. Also when I receive PDF files over Bluetooth and I don't open them immediately, I don't see them again. There should be a folder where all Bluetooth files can be viewed and saved without going through a long process.
2. I can't use any other ringtone apart from the ones provided by the phone. I follow the instructions provided but I don't see the "change ringtone" option.
3. WhatsApp video call doesn't work well. I see the other person's face but all they see is my dp and not my face.
4. Sometimes I want to reduce call sound volumes but keep notification volumes high but when I reduce the call volume my app sounds also reduce.
5. I try sending feedback directly from my phone but it never works!
Bought it yesterday. Its a wonderful phone and very rich feature-wise. I got the orange cover, and because it was a retailed version for Thailand (I'm from Iran, though), it came with genuine Microsoft hands-free. Now, on to the features and some clarifications about misunderstandings on this phone:
5" IPS HD Gorilla Glass 3 + Microsoft Windows Tweaks (that are a hell lot better than other manufacturers, by the way)
8MP back camera with auto focus, and Lumia Camera, to make it even better. I've not tested the video quality yet, but the daylight pictures are brilliant, and I rarely see a bit of noise in them. If the camera cranks up ISO in low-light environments, noise will appear (lots of colorful noise XD ), but that's how cameras work. I haven't tested the LED flash yet (I never use flash)
Front-facing camera is 5MP and does its job way better than other selfie shooters in this price range. Lumia Selfie app helps you take even better shots.
Worthy to note that I can't to this phone from an ASUS Zenfone II, so I have high expectations of phone cameras. This phone really didn't disappoint (if not taken my expectations a little higher)
Snapdragon 200 (Pretty Old) that works magically smooth because of Windows Phone OS. Also an Adreno 302 which I think is pretty old, but still holds well and works perfectly with the rest of this hardware.
It comes with Windows Phone 8.1 that CAN be upgraded to Windows 10 (Just go to the phone settings and update through the "Software updates" section)
1GB of RAM, which is quite low nowadays, comparing to brands like ASUS or Samsung, but again, due to the magic behind Windows OS you won't even see nasty lags or "Force Closes" i.e. crashes in your programs. Also it comes with 8GB of internal storage, which is sufficient for the OS, all basic everyday apps and maybe some multimedia/games too. but you can always expand the storage by Micro-SD cards up to 128GB extra space.
2200 mAH battery, which I think is pretty big for a phone like this, and can easily survive a whole day (with dual sim and wifi). Also, the phone has power-saving features that can extend battery life whenever you choose to.
This phone (Lumia 540 Dual Sim) only supports up to 3G. That's it. So if you want more speed (If you have any idea of speed, that is) in you downloads or internet surfing, consider buying another model. But I heavily doubt that you won't be able to watch YouTube or Netflix smoothly on 3G. I've had 4G phones all over and now I've come to understand that yet more speed than 3G isn't really necessary.
Other helpful features:
Double tap to lock and wake, which you can fully customize in the phone settings. As I said, I came from ASUS Zenfone II and I'd really miss it if I got another phone.
This phone comes in Black, White, Orange, Yellow and Blue. The Black cover is matte and others are glossy. note that all the glossy covers are made of two layers, and the MICROSOFT logo on the back won't wash off over time. Also, matter covers are always fingerprint magnets, so I suggest buying the glossy ones.
Clarifications about common misunderstandings on Lumia 540 Dual Sim:
- You can activate data services on either of the two SIM cards, in contrast with most other dual SIMs that support data only on the first SIM
- Touch sensitivity and input isn't a problem if your phone isn't damaged by any sort. Also, touch is very responsive, although responses may be sometimes slow due to the processor (like in double-tap-to-wake-up)
- It does have a good IPS display, but don't expect extra-wide viewing angles from it. Also, the ambient light sensor does its job brilliantly, so if its a little slow to react its due to the processor
- Every battery lasts if charged properly using the provided charger. So PLEASE use genuine Microsoft AC charger, or a quality USB cable (if you charge over PC) to avoid damaging the precious battery. Take my word, you ain't getting any better battery life for the price.
And finally, this is my first Microsoft phone (and my first Lumia). I'm not a fanatic when it comes to brands, given I've had HTC, Samsung, LG, and most recently ASUS. I'll probably even buy another brand for my next phone, as change is always welcome and enjoyable. But my final verdict is "Don't lose Microsoft Lumia models if any is in your price bracket".
Hope this review comes helpful for those interested in this phone. Cheers ;)
naresh, 15 Nov 2016Phone is good but this phone not available screen shot Power boutton and volume up at the same time to screenshot
anand shaw, 23 Nov 2016update window 10 phone not work properly.slow,charnging problem.etc lot of prblm.plz help me change your charger . take 2 ampere charger .then it charge faster
If shareit transfer have failed sd card mb gone.what's the prolem.please solve my problem.
My phone is lumia 540.I share 1.31gb movie from nokia X2.my SD card storage was 3gb.then storage is 365mb.what's the problem. please say.
update window 10 phone not work properly.slow,charnging problem.etc lot of prblm.plz help me
Khanna, 14 Nov 2016How is the device working after upgrading to windows 10I have been using this phone from last year ...buy only if u want to use windows phone..buy the phone on its software basis not on hardware configurations... Problems which I face with this phone.... 1-) if you will transfer anything through share it from any android phone the windows will get crash 2-) If you will update the phone in windows 10 you will face a lot of problems a) Charging issues b)slowness c) earphone will stop working if you will connect while you r on call d)Battery will run out quickly 3-)Do not expect any third party app Phone is good if you are using window 8.1 Camera is ok.. Performance is okay You can run few games as well But that will work only on windows 8.1
Som, 14 Nov 2016Its a gd phone..bt i am not able to update it to win10..plz help and how to do plz say..Simple, download windows 10 advisor app and there you are ready to update your handpiece to windows 10 successfully
I got my lumia 540 still and use for business/office purpose only. Few weeks back my screen broke after falling on concrete slab. I visited a "Nokia" service center and that man said to me that it will cost 6000/- bucks. I did not accept the deal as you can buy a lot of second hand 540 from 3500/- onwards on olx. So, I did a google search at find the LCD/Digiter set online for 2200/- which is discounted about 300/- bucks. So, I ordered it and after few days I replaced the broken LCD by myself and the phone is working well. Also I noticed the phone speaker is dead (not the loud speaker), initially I run it well. But after my father replaced the 535 with A5, I opened up the 535 and took the speaker and fixed it on my 540. Now my phone is good. But still the cameras are dead. I tried everything, but it did not worked. Anyway I got myself a On 7 Pro as primary device and used the 540 as secondary device eg. for working on outlook, MS office suits etc.
So, my verdict is
1) Nokia or Microsoft service centre sucks.
2) Buy 540 or any windows phone if you need windows on run, but do not expect for many third party apps.
3) Never ever install any "Insider Preview" on your device unless you are a developer.
sathwik , 23 Oct 2016I came to know that after windows 10 update phone hangs frequently.is that true can anyone reply?I too have faced same problem. Is there any solution...... plz.... help me....
Yunus20, 18 Nov 2016thank you, but i had a lumia 535 and after i updated it to windows 10 through insider the mobi... moreYou updated it through insider which provide you beta i said get it by upgrade advisor i got it and after second update it works better than WP8.1
Anonymous, 18 Nov 2016No more updates for WP 8 get windows 10 by installing upgrade advisor then you'll get plenty o... morethank you, but i had a lumia 535 and after i updated it to windows 10 through insider the mobile's battery efficiency decreased and it began to lag. so, the problem I have is that, lumia 540 also might lag as the lumia 535 which i had earlier. once again thank you
Yunus20, 18 Nov 2016guys, since I purchased this mobile i didn't receive any update except for the 'additional lan... moreNo more updates for WP 8 get windows 10 by installing upgrade advisor then you'll get plenty of updates but some of them are not good microsoft ditched fm radio in one of updates
guys, since I purchased this mobile i didn't receive any update except for the 'additional language support' update. is it a problem with the phone or hasn't Microsoft sent any update for it?