Hi there.. Actually i want to use this device as a music player.. So I'm just curious whether this phone can actually support a humble 128gb card as they say 200gb in its description.. I've used a 32gb card in one of their devices that was meant to support 64.. And i was disappointed..
Guide me through this..
Thanks in anticipation..
Feras, 16 Apr 2016hi every one. Before switching to windows 10 mobile I want to make sure of something. I'm usi... moreHi Feras, I am not 100% sure you can store on SD card the databases of programs like whatsapp and telegram, but probably you can on Windows 10 Phone. Here is a screenshot with the options you have on Win 10 Phone to change default save path: http://postimg.org/image/t4j8wn27h/
Review Microsoft Lumia 550 by Tyr Antilles
I will not repeat what is already written in the accurate and well made GSMArena professional review, but I would like to add my personal experience with the phone:
- The IPS display is very clear and sharp, and the subjective image quality is very good. With the phone I bought a screen protection called Glass Pro (made of glass not plastic), on which the finger glides a lot better and is very hard to scratch.
- The speaker is loud enough, and on headphones the sound is beautiful. The sound chip used on Lumia 550 is of good quality.
- MS Lumia 550 have no possibility to read directly USB Sticks, and on the micro-USB port, cannot be connected any peripherials like mouse or keyboard or USB sticks. Is not working either with OTG cable, and the connector is a normal micro-USB, not Type C. The only solution is to connect the phone to a computer with a normal micro-USB to USB cable and then access the phone memory from the computer. Or, of course, by wireless / bluetooth / internet.
- On the browsing side, Microsoft Edge web browser looks to me a lot faster and stable then the default browser integrated on Android (I can compare only with Android 4.2.2, so, maybe on newer versions things changed). All in all, my entire online experience with Lumia 550 phone is a lot better then on my old Android platform. Basically, everything on the net, windows store, web browsing, maps, etc., runs better, smoother, faster and most important, without crashes.
- The camera is only 5 MP and is not awesome from this viewpoint, but the photos are clear, have natural colors, and the camera menu offers advanced functions like manual adjustment of many parameters that are not accessible from any Android platform. For example you can manually adjust focus, ISO 100 - 800, or activate the option to capture "living images", HDR, white balance and others. Video capture at 720p with 30 fps is of very good quality in my opinion, but my standards are not as a pro photographer.
- Programs found on Windows Store are OK, and their number increase day by day.
For example, I found a free video player called CCPlayer that is able to play my MP4 files (codec HEVC H265 with AAC audio) and with ASS subtitles placed on the same folder. The same player can play MKV files with H264 and subtitles inside MKV container. Very important, the phone have hardware acceleration for H264 AVC1 and H265 HEVC, so, the 720p movies play fluently, without any glitches.
- A big problem, not of the phone but of the OS, is that, at this time, you canÂ’t remove downloaded and uninstalled applications from MS Store > My Library. Once you install an application, it will be there forever. Even if you decide it was crap and will never be installed again, there is no way to get rid of it, rendering My Library almost useless. I hope Microsoft will solve this problem soon.
In conclusion, after more then a week of intense usage, net surfing, installation and removal of tens of programs, I realize that I like Windows 10 Mobile (Version 1511 OS build 10.0.10586.218) more then Android. Even if the phone have only 1 GB of RAM, it never run out of memory, the OS is running fluid, internet experience is better on Win10 then on Android, the phone never locked and didn't had errors, and for me, hardware acceleration for movies encoded in H265 HEVC is a real deal.
Bought Lumia 550 about a month ago and I was positively surprised. Relatively fast, decent camera and the UI is probably the best on the market.
After a while I noticed some lag in using it, which is normal for a phone in this price range. Thougth that updates would fix some if it later, which brings me to my biggest gripe. I can't get the phone or the apps to update. I have unlimited 4g plan, so I figured it'd be fast. That was until I found out that you can't update phone or apps using mobile data. And I haven't been able to get the updates with wifi either. Another matter, hotspot works for about an hour until it just stops, and I have to restart the phone to have another hour of usage.
So I can't recommend this buggy mess to anyone. My first experience with a windows phone will most likely be my last.
Lumia 550 is a nice phone. I'm using it for two months. With the heavy usage i'm giving this comment. This phone is good for multitasking Because it won't hang. Camera is good provide shard image shots. Outdoor shots are awesome. Front camera is superb. Battery stands for a whole day on heavy usage with data connection. Display awesome.
Geekay, 26 Apr 2016Hi Guys, Im having a problem with Microsoft Lumia 550, I cannot add contact on it and when ... moreyou have to first activate an account , microsoft or google account to add new contacts, and Of course is need to update your phone, go to settings - update and security - phone update. Sorry for my bad english.
Im having a problem with Microsoft Lumia 550, I cannot add contact on it and when I tab on people to check my contacts it goes back to the main menu
please help guys?
It does't have the language option, to send massage in Hindi or Kannada. That way Lumia 520 is perfect.
Win10M build 10586.218 is stable now with this phone. Windows 10 is just evolving with many updates for pc and phone. T.Y. MS for updates no hang or reset for me. One thing i like with this phone is the loud speaker is much louder than my lumia 830. 😁
Arcil757 , 05 Apr 2016Hello phone communities,i had use almost all os and i find that if you love music,want to be u... moreCompletely agree with you. Never beck on Android since I change my os to win. I have Nokia Lumia 630 for almost 2 years,it works perfect even with a broken display. Now I think about getting new and I doubt between Lumia 550 and Lumia 640
Feras, 16 Apr 2016hi every one. Before switching to windows 10 mobile I want to make sure of something. I'm usi... moreOn Win 8.1 you can choose where to store music,pic,videos,podcast,new app and downloads,so you can store all of this separately on CD card or on the phone. So I think it is the same on win 10. It's not like LG where you can't choose and all of apps are going on phone. I change my Android phone before 2 years and I can't evan think about turning beck on it. Windows is more powerful than android
Anonymous, 17 Apr 2016I suggest you to reinstall the firmware over pc by the help of windows device recovery tool (e... moreI have no idea about these things actually.. So can u plz help me in a simple way? Or kindly help me in anyway?
lumia 535, 16 Apr 2016Make sure your outlook mail is available/registered. Only after that you can sync everything.I could able to download few. Sometimes big and sometimes very low sized app can't be even download. And may be after the store update it may fix. But the store isn't downloading. How can i solve it???
how about the display? GSMarena mentions it is a capacitive touchscreen. will it be better that Lumia 630. Please confirm.