Yes, you also can upgrade at Motorola Service Center. 98R is for E398. And I'm running it now in my phone very well.
Is 98R for E398? Can you upgrade the phone to 98R at Motorola's service centers?
Follow this link to get the newest firmware :
For instruction read this :
NSTRUCTION TO UPGRADE E398 FIRMWARE
1. Unpack/UnRar file R372_G_0E.20.98R_reflash.shx.gz, GIKE398000AC0DB.rar, JAVA_G_0E_E398_09_07R.rar, RSD_Lite_1.5.rar, and P2K_driver_2.3.zip. Use Total Commander (www.ghisler.com) to do that.
2. Install RSD_Lite_1.5.rar and the driver needed in P2K_driver_2.3.zip.
3. Remove SIM Card and TransFlash Card from the phone.
4. Connect the USB Cable to your phone.
Powerup your phone until it says 'Insert SIM'
5. Running RSD Lite 1.5 and see status of your phone 'connected'
6. Browse for the file (click '...' button) 'R372_G_0E.20.98R_reflash.shx
7. Click Start, then flashing proccess running. Don't do anything until it's status says PASS. It's take time about 5 - 7 minutes. After that the phone will restart by itself. I recommended : Not to open any application except this program and you have an UPS. This proccess can failed if your PC shutdown suddenly and your phone maybe not useable anymore except you brought that to Motorola Dealer to reflashing.
8. After that you flexing your phone with this file 'GIKE398000AC0DB.hs' do the same proccess as above. This will take time longer about 10 - 15 minutes.
9. Then the last install for the JAVA 'JAVA_G_0E_E398_09_07R.hs' with the same proccess. Don't worry if it said 'FAILED' in the end proccess. You can run and install Java normally.
10. Close the program. Disconnect the USB cable from your phone. Insert SIM Card and TransFlash as usual. Restart the phone.
11. Congratulation !!! You've upgrade your phone to 98R + GIKE. Now you will have more phone memory than before, fast SMS typing, Quad Band GSM, fast menu access than before.
WARNING : Do this at your own risk, I'm not responsible for damage caused by this software. But for me this running so smooth :). Sorry my English not well.
But you need P2K Drivers, just search this on internet. Or you can go to www.motomodders.net
can anyone out there tell me how I can convert my mp3's to 64 kbps from 128 kbps?
what is firmware?
my computer can't detect the usb cable when i plug it in and its connected to the phone. my computer is windows 98, and i leave my usb settings in the phone on memory card. please help me i need the mp3 player. what do i do?
You can upgrade your firmware (there's 3 kind of firmware : Flash (contains S/W, usually end by XXR. Example : 34R, 96R, 95R, 97R, 98R), Flex (contains flex, example 7CXXXXX, 7FXXXXX, GSKEXXXXXX, GIKEXXXXXXX) and JAVA (contains JAVA Application and basic programs). I've upgrade my firmware to 98R and GIKE (the newest firmware out there) and it's stable. The menu is now faster than before especially for typing SMS. I've all programs you need to upgrade that. just email me. Before upgrade backup all your data because that will be erased. For more information go to Howard Forum (there's a lot of other's stuff and info too).
i was looking through the reviews and i see alot of people talkin bout firmware. wat it it? can someone explain it to me
Yes you can transfur any mp3, gif, jpg, 3gp, mp4 from any other bluetooth phone/computer.
.sis is a symbian os program
java isnt an os like symbian, its a sub-program, so u cant run that kind of programs on it, so yeah, it'a a silly questin.
u need to get PST 4.7 and midway program in order to upload java apps in your phone, they r not readable from t-flash memory card.
.jad and .jar are both needed for upload, the jad file is like path to the jar...
To arjains. What firmware do you have because upgrading to 95R and or higher and 7F will increase your speed.
Note: 97R and 98R are not yet stable.
Do a search to find out more on how to do this.
I just tried some mp4 files. Only the files that came with mpt worked. (Only one has sound)I downloaded an mp4 but it didnít work on the phone. Mp4 files are very large for the length/quality. I would just keep with 3gp. I have a converter that hasnít made a corrupt file the phone couldnít play. It's called imTOO 3gp converter give it a try.
I havenít had any 3gp movies freeze on me yet. I use imTOO 3gp converter and have 95R &f firmware.
To load java apps try the same way to add java games. Go settings > java settings > java app loader. If you donít have that follow this website on how to upload java apps.
AFAIK there isnít a java camcorder for this phone only flashing to v620 firmware.
This phone is awesome!! For its price, this is definitely a bargain. It comes with datacable already and has bluetooth. Its speakers sound great plus it has a free 64mb transcard. What more can you ask for? As for their complaint on the speed...hello!!! Its only split seconds slower than any other phone so its negligible. As for the problems connecting with the computer, just try again, it works. You guys just probably dont know how to operate it.
man this phone is reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaallly slow .what do i do ?can i do ne thing wit software to make it fast ?if yes what ?plz any one reply me
i h8 dis fone man its sooooo slow, the usb cable dont ever work,videos stop half way.
i dont recomend it!