i have a e398.s/w vewrsion is :R372_G_0E.20.34R
what is the latest version,and does it make the interface more slick?kindly let me know.thanks
can any one tell me that this phone and k508i,which one is better? thank u.
In the month of July-2004, I had posted a much pepped review of the Moto e398. Following my posting, I had received several enquires (in hundreds) about the product’s functionality, which I have tried answering to the best of my knowledge, till date the enquires still continue. So I thought it is time to update the review.
No doubt the e398, when it was first launched stood out in the market with its surround sound capabilities and its trans flash memory expansion slot. Being a person who changes phones every six months to make a fashion statement; held on to the moto e398 in spite of the fact that other new and cool models are available in the market.
However all things said, after eight months of using the e398, I feel that the product was a big dream that was delivered short. I am some, if not all of the following issues have been discussed in this thread, one time or the other. For a noobe this will be help to look at the negative side of the product.
The obvious drawbacks :
1) no video recording
2) no fm radio
The drawbacks visibile only after using the phone for a considerable period of time:
1)Slow Mp3 downloads to the phone. The product is marked for its surround sound capabilities, with mega slow download to the phone, it defeats the purpose.
2)Lack of free OS themes, though some may argue against this. The visibility on the internet is zero.
3)Lack of information on how to install any 3rd party apps for the product
4)Average volume control, left much to desire for…
5)De-colorization of the side silver panels, same problem as a Moto V8088/V8088+, this I doubt we can change the shell itself however, the product looses its charm without the side silver panels
6)Lack of higher Mem trans Flash, at least in India cause the demand for the product had dropped really bad
7)Charging wire dock loose control. Very poor charging unit. Clearly Motorola did not think this product through.
There are more small issues that start to bug you over a period of time and it highly likely that you will get frustrated with it its lack of flexibility.
Great product for a noobe. But an advanced user surely has to think it through before buying this product.
and one more thing !!! if the price was'nt the issue, would you still say this phone's better than the K700i ??? your opinion would be of gr8 help... thanx
To any E398 user : is there a way to SILENT the phone during n incoming call, without cutting the call (like Nokia's) ??? and something i still have'nt got a clear answer for is that, on an incoming call will it rind & vibrate together, or does it take turns ? i think its a good phone, but need help deciding whether worth buying it ... thank you
Motorola E398 is a good phone..but I'm still having some troubles with it..
I've tried ImToo 3gp encoder and so far it's the best (but not freeware). The freezing dissapear if I use 128x96 format. I'd like to try MP4 since my 3gp video is not very sharp.
Thanks for the url for loading java games/apps, I'll try it.
Yes, you also can upgrade at Motorola Service Center. 98R is for E398. And I'm running it now in my phone very well.
Is 98R for E398? Can you upgrade the phone to 98R at Motorola's service centers?
Follow this link to get the newest firmware :
For instruction read this :
NSTRUCTION TO UPGRADE E398 FIRMWARE
1. Unpack/UnRar file R372_G_0E.20.98R_reflash.shx.gz, GIKE398000AC0DB.rar, JAVA_G_0E_E398_09_07R.rar, RSD_Lite_1.5.rar, and P2K_driver_2.3.zip. Use Total Commander (www.ghisler.com) to do that.
2. Install RSD_Lite_1.5.rar and the driver needed in P2K_driver_2.3.zip.
3. Remove SIM Card and TransFlash Card from the phone.
4. Connect the USB Cable to your phone.
Powerup your phone until it says 'Insert SIM'
5. Running RSD Lite 1.5 and see status of your phone 'connected'
6. Browse for the file (click '...' button) 'R372_G_0E.20.98R_reflash.shx
7. Click Start, then flashing proccess running. Don't do anything until it's status says PASS. It's take time about 5 - 7 minutes. After that the phone will restart by itself. I recommended : Not to open any application except this program and you have an UPS. This proccess can failed if your PC shutdown suddenly and your phone maybe not useable anymore except you brought that to Motorola Dealer to reflashing.
8. After that you flexing your phone with this file 'GIKE398000AC0DB.hs' do the same proccess as above. This will take time longer about 10 - 15 minutes.
9. Then the last install for the JAVA 'JAVA_G_0E_E398_09_07R.hs' with the same proccess. Don't worry if it said 'FAILED' in the end proccess. You can run and install Java normally.
10. Close the program. Disconnect the USB cable from your phone. Insert SIM Card and TransFlash as usual. Restart the phone.
11. Congratulation !!! You've upgrade your phone to 98R + GIKE. Now you will have more phone memory than before, fast SMS typing, Quad Band GSM, fast menu access than before.
WARNING : Do this at your own risk, I'm not responsible for damage caused by this software. But for me this running so smooth :). Sorry my English not well.
But you need P2K Drivers, just search this on internet. Or you can go to www.motomodders.net
can anyone out there tell me how I can convert my mp3's to 64 kbps from 128 kbps?
what is firmware?
my computer can't detect the usb cable when i plug it in and its connected to the phone. my computer is windows 98, and i leave my usb settings in the phone on memory card. please help me i need the mp3 player. what do i do?
You can upgrade your firmware (there's 3 kind of firmware : Flash (contains S/W, usually end by XXR. Example : 34R, 96R, 95R, 97R, 98R), Flex (contains flex, example 7CXXXXX, 7FXXXXX, GSKEXXXXXX, GIKEXXXXXXX) and JAVA (contains JAVA Application and basic programs). I've upgrade my firmware to 98R and GIKE (the newest firmware out there) and it's stable. The menu is now faster than before especially for typing SMS. I've all programs you need to upgrade that. just email me. Before upgrade backup all your data because that will be erased. For more information go to Howard Forum (there's a lot of other's stuff and info too).
i was looking through the reviews and i see alot of people talkin bout firmware. wat it it? can someone explain it to me
Yes you can transfur any mp3, gif, jpg, 3gp, mp4 from any other bluetooth phone/computer.
.sis is a symbian os program
java isnt an os like symbian, its a sub-program, so u cant run that kind of programs on it, so yeah, it'a a silly questin.
u need to get PST 4.7 and midway program in order to upload java apps in your phone, they r not readable from t-flash memory card.
.jad and .jar are both needed for upload, the jad file is like path to the jar...