My thoughts after going through thousands of user opinions - -
1. Go only for standard brands like Samsung / Apple as service support is widely available. For example, I heard, Samusng keeps inventory of spares for relatively old models also.
2. Hi-Fi / exclusive brands like One Plus, Huawei, Lenovo, Google etc either don't have wide support facilities or their support is not user-friendly.
3. Almost all smartphones develop issues with time. The most common is battery degradation.
4. The cost of spares & service is directly proportional to the cost of the phone.
5. Best if one waits for some months after a model is released, instead of rushing to buy on day one. This will not only save you from feeling sorry (for the poor quality of the phone) but also may save you money (most companies cut prices. Even Samusung slashed for their best models S7, S7E).
6. The more exclusive the brand (e.g. Pixel, iPhone) the more the price and the more the cost of service.
7. Even the so called best are not really best. Pixel does have lens flare issue, a mechanical problem (for which they give you a SW patch instead of recalling sold units).
8. Decide if you want to keep your phone for some years. Then buy Apple or Nokia (or Samsung). If you want to throw away or exchange soon, then no point in spending large amounts. The exchange value of your old phone may be near zero.
9. Careful when buying "common" brands, there may be a risk of fire / explosion. Even Samsung can't guarantee quality. Brands like Oppo etc are popular but it doesn't guarantee quality or service.
10. Best if you buy in a shop, at least you need not worry about the quality of the unit you will be getting. When you buy online, unscrupulous sellers may palm off returned or known/unknown defective pieces. Then you will have to run around the online seller and the retailer also who may play soccer with you as the ball.
11. New features keep coming like waves on a sea. Know well what you will actually need. No point in spending a fortune on some feature you may use rarely or may not use at all.
12. If you buy high cost phones, you have to spend on protecting it and also worry not to loose & to be careful about it not dropping. That is why they sell you a costly but fragile phone and also make you buy insurance. All this for a phone that may or may not last more than 2 years!!
My own example - I have been using Nokia N8 for the last 8 years plus and it serves me well. I use my phone for calls, SMS, music and occasional browsing. I never install apps liberally. I make it a point to restart the phone once in a while. With such a use, ithas served me well and only now it began to give minor troubles. After having surveyed many, I made up my mind to buy some low-price model like J7. Even it "fails" in a couple of years, there will be no regrets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous, 04 Jan 2017Is it good after update to nougat??After the nougat update I've been facing battery issues. It charges from 0 to 11% in 3 seconds. So also the battery drains very fast. Nougat does not optimise the battery but it does just the opposite.
This is what happens when a popular brand is bought out by a Chinese buyer,
1. Screen burn-in (retention) issues = This was happening before the recent update as well and there is no solution to it.
2. Rear camera gets scratched easily and there is no replacement glass cover available. The support people are holding the user responsible for this and are not willing to rectify it under warranty repairs! They are asking Rs. 2500 to get this issue resolved!
3. Phone has the tendency of overheating. Even playing simple games results in overheating and the performance goes down dramatically and you have no option but to restart it.
4. Cant be used as a navigation device since it overheats under the sun and the screen and performance goes for a toss.
Summary = I am not buying a Lenovo phone ever again which has been re-badged as Moto. Its not the actual Moto any more, its a typical Chinese phone brand now. Thanks for cheating on your customer, Moto, oh sorry Lenovo!
Half a month review:
Well i have been using for 15 days now....i dont update my phones.ever...i like them as original.
I must say over time the moto Devices do show signs....like my battery doesnt necessarily charge as fast as it charged on the 1 st day. Google phones/motorola phones are more prone to virus as they are open source stock android. I did a hard reset after phone shut down due to an app that carried virus. thank God for memory card... coz all data on device had to be deleted. Imagine using "one plus 3" no memory card. ? i thought non-removable battery will be problem but not much. And this phone has email security compulsary to restart phone....without wifi you cant restart your phone after a hard reset...man android is starting to have restritictons like apple. I would prefer J7 over moto g4 plus....but both phones are great and well known and popular.
I must say i really love my moto device...coz it has excellent hardware...not so user friendly software.....the only problem with J7 was the camera never focuses welll so dissatisfying results....that problem is not in Moto g4 plus......although moto g4 plus is not best camera ...under 15000........."LG g3 stylus" best camera phone
I want to buy moto g4 plus....friends its really over heati g? Pleas suggeste me.
Anonymous, 14 Sep 2016Plz dont buy this. Its camera fails in one month. I have had g4+ since end of June & my camera has never failed
Douglas, 15 Sep 2016I forgot to add I my G4+ is 16 GB lollipop and I also tried leaving phone powered down for up ... moreIt's odd your Moto g4+ came with lollipop mine came with marshmallow out the box
Its a good phone but the phone is facing screen burning issue and it has increased after the nougat update is there any way to clear tat problem
never Upgrade this phone to Nougat Mobile so much hang , Battery Drain so Fast , all apps are hang, video play hang, File delete hang SAY NO to UPGRADE
samba, 03 Jan 2017Hi all I recently December 26th purchased motor g4 plus and this is the 3rd week am working wi... moremake sure your device is updated to latest android version and do a factory reset
Its gutting hang while using internet and purchased it just one month ago
Douglas, 15 Sep 2016I forgot to add I my G4+ is 16 GB lollipop and I also tried leaving phone powered down for up ... moreMoto g4+ comes with mm out the box g3 came with lollipop out the box upgraded to mm
Anonymous, 04 Jan 2017Is it good after update to nougat??Got it updated to Android 7.0, 3 days ago. running fine. But its a great experience overall. 7.0 Android is best OS for this phone. But apps update only on Wifi and not on 4G. I had to use Wifi or takes someone's hotspot facility. I hope Android 7.1 will fix this. There is another issue. I am unable to apply wallpaper from my pictures in Gallery. I had to download Wallpapers by Google from playstore. Nice experience overall but i think 7.1 Android will be needed to make it even better.
Unable to download apps/update them in play store as my data connection is in roaming. Pls help..
AnonD-628046, 03 Jan 2017i am planning to buy motog4 plus, can u please tell me if its better than redmi note 3 or lenovo z1This phone is not good. All features are upto the mark but problem is this set has problem of restarting automatically again and again. And when you click on google play music player it will automatically will restart.