I got my Moto G5 Plus yesterday from Flipkart. It is 4 GB RAM and 32 GB ROM (Lunar Grey) Variant. I sold my Redmi Note 3 to buy this phone because I wanted a better camera as the camera quality in Redmi Note 3 is worse. Here's my honest impression of this phone.
1. Build quality. This is pretty compact, not too big. This is using a metal build so build quality is good and premium. All the buttons are on the right side and give nice tactile feedback. The top and bottom of the back is plastic to facilitate better signal reception which isn't very noticeable. The phone is more curvy and looks nice although I'm not a big fan of curvy phones. The phone has some special coating which makes it water repellant to some extent but isn't waterproof so keep in mind. Overall build quality is very good. No complaints.
2. Display is 5.2 inches Full HD. It's IPS Display. Protected with Gorilla Glass 3. Being used to 5.5 inches screens, the Moto G5 Plus display seems a bit small to me. Screen quality is very nice and crisp. Brightness levels are satisfactory. There's a slight difference in viewing angles but it's nothing serious. The colours aren't very accurate and tend to have a cooler tone. The contrast levels I feel is pretty low. Sunlight readability is an issue as the brightness is not high enough. Overall display quality is nice. Unfortunately, there's no notification LED light which is a disappointment.
3. Performance is very good. Although not on the level of Redmi Note 3 which packs Snapdragon 650 processor but the difference is minimal. It has Snapdragon 625 octa core power efficient processor using A53 cores clocked at 2Ghz and is built on a new 14nm process. Antutu score - 63657 3D Score - 8791. Because of the 14nm process used to built this processor, the phone doesn't heat up much while doing heavy task like gaming. Asphalt 8 & Mortal Kombat X ran smooth. Multitasking is smooth due to 4 GB RAM. Most of the time 1.8 - 2.0 GB RAM is free. Software department has Android 7.0 Nougat which is completely stock Android (pure Android) with no bloatwares. So it is very smooth to use and doesn't lag or slow down. There's Moto App which has some gesture features that you can turn on. Internal memory is 32 GB total out of which around 22 GB is free. Damn 10 GB used by system. Additionally you have the microSD slot so not a big deal and yes OTG feature is supported.
3. Sound - the front earpiece is the loud speaker and talking about sound quality, it's nice and clear but not very loud. Earphone sound quality is good given that you use a nice pair of earphones.
4. Fingerprint sensor - it is fast and accurate and you can use this fingerprint sensor as a navigation key with gestures like swiping up and down or swiping left and right. Unfortunately you can't press it like in Samsung phones.
5. Connectivity - It has dual SIM and separate SD card slot on the top. No Hybrid SIM slot here which is awesome. I don't like hybrid sim slots. Great job by Moto here. You can use two SIMs and a SD Card at the same time. Jio 4G and Volte worked, no issue. It has usual connectivity features such as 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS.
6. Battery - it has 3000 mAh battery non removable battery and the Snapdragon 625 processor built on a newer 14nm process is battery efficient processor. I've charged the phone twice since getting it yesterday morning (18 March 2017, 9:30 AM). On the first charge, I got 6 hours 30 Minutes of Screen On Time which included 1 hours of playing Asphalt 8 with half brightness, watching an HD movie with full brightness for 2 hours 40 minutes, 2 hours 40 minutes worth of Internet browsering on Airtel 4G. Battery backup is good but it takes at least first 3 charge to calibrate the battery and more information is needed to approximately tell how much battery backup this phone gives so I'll update the battery performance within a few days. From my initial experience, the battery backup seems pretty good but I expect more from it.
7. Camera - I bought this phone just for the camera and I reserved my impression of the camera for the last as it's going to be a bit lengthy. Now Moto has hyped the Moto G5 Plus Camera Quality and advertised the camera as awesome. It has 12 MP main Camera with a bright aperture F/1.7, Dual Pixel AutoFocus, Dual Tone LED Flash (Sounds like Galaxy S7?). Focusing is fast. The camera quality is very good in daylight and the macro shots (close up shots) look very nice due to the background blur which is very smooth due to the bright and wide aperture of 1.7. In artificial light and low light, the camera doesn't perform as expected. Unfortunately, it seems to bump up ISO in these lighting conditions and you get a noisy image. The noise can be controlled by manually adjusting the ISO levels but then you have an under exposed shot. Images with the dual tone LED flash are good but image appears somewhat grainy. If you zoom all the way on the images clicked by the G5 Plus during daylight or low light, you can notice very less details and oversharpening artefacts. The camera fails to capture raw details.
Front camera is 5 MP with f/2.2 Aperture. Selfies are passable. Not very good and not too bad either. In daylight the front camera captures good selfies but in low lights, you know what happens. I'm not concerned about the front camera that much. There's 4K Video Recording option available. The main 12 MP camera is a bit of a disappointment for me as I expected it to perform much better. The photos look nice on the phone but unfortunately zooming in them reveals the true story.
That's all. I would give the Moto G5 a 7/10 score, for me the camera fails to live up to the marks. Sorry for any mistakes as I typed the review in a hurry. Got to wake up earlier tomorrow. Thank you. Hope it is helpful. :)
Anonymous, 19 Mar 2017which country r u from??? bcoz in India g5+ is cheaper than p2am from UK, England
Moto G5 Plus Witnesses Record Sales on Flipkart: 50 Units Sold Per Minute. Went out of stock in India very good sell so far.
Well all of the things included in the G5 plus are good enough. I am expecting it should have the following features but not they included
1. 18 mp pure hd camera with 8mp primary
2. 2.0 GHz + 1.5 GHz octa core cpu
3. Google pixel like home launcher and keys
4. Improved headphones + wireless charger
5. More options in the developer mode
I like Moto G5 plus in all futures. The previous version of Moto g4 has heating issue which is overcome in G5. I'm planning to buy this week.
Ravi drawing Chavda, 19 Mar 2017Today (19th March 17) I got my moto g5 plus in India and with surprise I found that there is n... moreEveryone over here knows that it doesnot have support to compass l
Today (19th March 17) I got my moto g5 plus in India and with surprise I found that there is no compass sensor.
Cam quality is good.
Hi, when will you conduct battery test and update it in battery life table?
AnonD-395272, 19 Mar 2017Hey guys this is an update after 3 days of usage, and hopefully this would be my last post, as... morestupid ppl with stupid arguments that even with those matter which doesn't matters..
AnonD-395272, 17 Mar 2017Hi guys this is an update after visiting the Lenovo service about the overheating issue I men... moreHey guys this is an update after 3 days of usage, and hopefully this would be my last post, as i see some stupid unhelpful arguments over a thing which is hardly even matters anyways.
After using for 3 days I found the battery backup is decent ,, yesterday night I charged my phone 100% and watched movies back to back, so with low brightness(night mode) streaming movies over wifi, battery gave me around 7hrs 20mins of video plack with 17% of battery to spare, I would consider that quiet good, device got little warm which is absolutely normal.
Other thing to mention is that lenovo has rolled out an update if 280mB which they say will improve sound quality while recording videos. I haven't done it yet n planning not to update unless they roll out a major update, if you have already updated it share your experience if there are any changes or still has some bugs
GaganAhuja, 19 Mar 2017you meat g4 plus speaker is better than g5 plus?Nope,g5 plus is better
GaganAhuja, 19 Mar 2017you meat g4 plus speaker is better than g5 plus?Yeah a bit better than its predecessor
AnonD-265900, 19 Mar 2017This phone even be compared to the GS7 Edge camera even if it is a budget phone. Meaning it is... moreIs that the answer for my question....I am asking about the camera... It is better same or bad than the speaker of g4 plus?
GaganAhuja, 19 Mar 2017can you tell speaker quality is good or not as compared to moto g4 plus. It is better than g4 ... moreThis phone even be compared to the GS7 Edge camera even if it is a budget phone. Meaning it is better the Moto G4 Plus
mark, 19 Mar 2017does it support volte?
all Flipkart negative review about Volte..Yup it has volte...The negative comments are from those ppl u have used phone for the first tym...so they are unaware of how to use it...