Nvidia has started rolling out a new update to the Shield Tablet K1 that adds Vulkan support and brings Android Marshmallow version 6.0.1 to the tablet. Aside from the Android 6.0.1 goodies, the update - which bumps the software version to 1.2 - also includes Android security patch for the month of March, as well as several other features, improvements, and bug fixes.
Here's the complete change-log:
• Supports the new Vulkan API for high-efficiency access to SHIELD’s graphics hardware
• Adds Android 6.0.1 changes including:
Repositioned Navigation Buttons in Landscape mode & Updated Emojis
Double Tap Power Button to launch SHIELD Camera app
Do Not Disturb Until Next Alarm
• Support for Android Doze mode & additional power optimizations
• Adds USB MIDI support
• Adds memory compression enhancement
• Improved Wi-Fi connectivity when waking from sleep
• Fixed Compass functionality
• Fixed Gamepad Mapper issues
• Fixed issues with moving apps to SD card
• Fixed Doom 3 HDMI output issue
• Repositioned Lasso Capture icons in landscape mode
• Update to Android 6.0 Security Patch Level March 1, 2016
• Overall stability and security enhancements
The company says the update will start hitting he original SHIELD Tablet (including LTE models) in a few weeks from now.
The current update just reduced stability. Very time I turn on the shield I get 5 apps or so telling me they quit. Some even do it every 30 seconds until I reboot. Aweful quality control.
Why? MiPad2 can't even beat MiPad in terms of GPU performance I would have expected MiPad2 to use the Tegra X1 but, due to costs, opted for the intel X5 instead (which I feel should be x7 instead(
shield tablet x1, eta?