Chirag1989, 19 Mar 2016Hii I am from India I have Lumia 1520.kindly share what the diffrence after update to win10.wh... moreThe usefulness of this update is basically user dependent i.e. how you see the OS . Still, I will tell you the differences between 8.1 and 10 which I have found.
Still, take this information as grain of salt as I have used the mobile barely for 1 and half day after the update
1. The action centre is the same but now you can have 15 toggles in total of which 5 are displayed when you bring down the action centre and the remaining 10 can be expanded. The mobile data toggling option is now available in action centre. Multiple notifications from single app can be individually cleared as opposed to clearing all notifications from one app
2. The entire settings UI has been overhauled and now there are total 10 categories such as System where you will find your entire system related settings such as Display, Notifications, Battery Saver, Storage. The settings are same as 8.1 but they are categorised unlike the scattered once you will find on 8.1. You can also search settings (As an extra info I'm running build version 10.0.10586.164)
3. You can now search your apps and it will show recently added apps on top of app list.
4. Cortana is now enabled but it requires location turned on but it is finally available in India. Long pressing the search button will start the app but single tapping the search button will not bring the Bing search anymore.
5.The music app is replaced by app called as Groove Music and just like settings app, it is just overhauled version of music app. The same goes for Videos app which is renamed as Films and TV. Saying about the codec support, I can say it is very much at primitive stage and I would prefer an aftermarket app, at least for videos.
6. The internet explorer is replaced by the Edge browser which is quite faster than IE :p and overall I haven't noticed any lag and overall very good experience over IE. For e.g. The Edge Browser can now view the 360 degrees view of devices available on GSMA reviews which was not present on IE.
7. Speaking of camera, the nokia camera app is also renamed as only camera. The launching is rapid and the capturing is also quick but if you review the photo immediately after capturing it, you will get the message as 'Adding the finishing touches' and also the the dots travelling on screen which will indicate the process and takes least 2 seconds or almost 6 to 7 seconds depending on the amount of light the sensor has capture i.e. if you capture single bright object (monitor in my case) took only 2 seconds for processing. Conversely, capturing an entire brightly lit room with lots of objects took whopping 7 seconds to finish the processing. Speaking about image quality I haven't captured any daytime images but night time images came very bright ( to an extent where you can use the term overexposed), the noise is also less but the image comes too soft. So soft that you even loose normal details such as handle of door, edges of furniture even though these objects are lit and very near to camera ( barely 1ft to 2ft from where I captured). The colour temperature of image was cold. During the preview, the image is shown off as small video and finally the processed image is shown. The low light performance is hampered but can be fixed via a software update.
The battery life is one big downgrade caused by update. The stand-by battery drain is high, not too much but worse than 8.1 and this was the field where the 1520 exhaled in GSMA review.
One really useful feature in this update is the one handed mode. By long pressing the windows button, the entire screen is reduced to bottom half of total screen. A huge plus for 1520. If you don't use phone after reducing the screen size, it will revert back to its original position after 5 seconds. Also the scrolling dot is available on keyboard to scroll within text more precisely. The typing language can be changed by just swiping the spacebar if you are using more than one language and pressing. The position of keyboard can also be changed. By pressing and holding spacebar, you can move you entire keyboard on screen and keep it wherever you want, on top of screen for example.
Being a developer, I loved the update because this opens new boundaries in WP platform
but as a casual user, I haven't noticed any major improvement over 8.1 save for UI overhauls and some performance tweaks.
Finally, if you use your 1520 casually i.e. used for phone calls, messaging, music, camera and web browsing, then there is no need to update your phone to 10 as the update sizes over 1GB and requires more than 2 GB amount free on either internal storage or SD card.
But, if you are a power user and bored with 8.1 and want to try to something new without any problems then this is the update you can't miss
nokiaXpress, 19 Mar 2016Sorry Nokia Lumia 1020, Micro$hit forget you bcz u are Nokia Lumia 1020 not Micro$hit Lumia 10... moreI am not sure, but I think even though, you might get windows 10 build 10.5861.64 if you enrolled to windowsInsider program and opt to the third choice (1-Slow, 2-Fast and 3-Release preview). I did this last month and it is working perfectly with me.
Advice: windows 10 is worthy to try, more comfortable to use than 8.1 and really no big gap (I mean in use , not in Apps) compared to Android.
I hope I could help.
Need one more update. Using Lumia 730 and version .164 but bugs are there. Groove music and Microsoft Edge crashes often. Apps are running in background, have to close them manually not like WP8.1.. Please update this and it will be a smoother device to use... So faar happy with the update. All the apps, games are intact...
naman, 19 Mar 2016Hey dude....is glance screen working properly on our 640 xl and can you see any option to turn... moreYes it is working fine. The settings at Settings > Extras > Glance Screen decide what, when and how long will visible.
This thing needs a 3rd update. Something that will fix this blinking to black screen time to time. I am on Lumia 830 with .164 and if I am browsing something or pay with it , I have time to time when the screen blinks to black like the screen is shut down for a less then a second. Other thing is that today I needed to set in sim card code again and I had no update for that to happen. It felt like if the phone is idle to long it will automatically restart it.
Sorry Nokia Lumia 1020, Micro$hit forget you bcz u are Nokia Lumia 1020 not Micro$hit Lumia 1020...
Happy with wp8.1, No need to wp10 update, still love u...
Andy, 19 Mar 2016Wow. When I thought Android couldn't be more late with those yearly OS upgrades.. Then there's... moreWhen I have nothing smart enough to say, I just shut up. That's a friedly advise to you too :)
soshi, 19 Mar 2016mine says i have the latest updates i do have 2 windows phone one is htc one m8 and lumia 540 ... moreDude, read the post! Your phones aren't on the list of devises who can upgrade to Win 10 mobile
Trooper, 19 Mar 2016If you are not happy then roll back to 8.1 using the Windows device recovery tool.I said it put it out of action, you cannot roll back or roll forward, it is dead man ... dead.
Unless it picks up again and continue/complete the installation process. The very slow downloading eventually done after several mysterious aborted attempts and preparation for installation is also already done.
Anyone having a bug with bluetooth toogle? It doesn't let you go to the setting when you hold it. Anyways my L930 is at .164, the second update.
The author forget writing Lumia 1020 in list. please make correction. thx
Anonymous, 19 Mar 2016Any OS update of this nature should be Â– at least, at a minimum Â– as smooth and trouble-free... moreIf you are not happy then roll back to 8.1 using the Windows device recovery tool.
Any OS update of this nature should be Â– at least, at a minimum Â– as smooth and trouble-free as your competitors. Anything less is unacceptable. But what we have here is a mixed reactions of happy and unhappy customers, satisfied or confused, disappointed or frustrated, elated or angry, sure or unsure or don't know, bemused or amused or not amused at all !
This so called update screwed up one of favorite devices (the Nokia Lumia 1520) and put it out of action, probably for good but I am not sure for now. Luckily I have many other flagship devices to go by, but I am definitely not amused. These sort of things force you to appreciate Apple even if you do not want to !
Hi all, it looks fine. I think they have done a good job with Win 10 at least in 1520.
I feel good and it is zippy in accessing apps and the overall Interface is good 👍👍
AnonD-42534, 18 Mar 2016Updated my 640 XL dual sim 3G to 10568.164 today. It was on Windows Insider 107 so I had to ch... moreHey dude....is glance screen working properly on our 640 xl and can you see any option to turn it off
Andy, 19 Mar 2016Wow. When I thought Android couldn't be more late with those yearly OS upgrades.. Then there's... moreSays he, comparing Windows 10 Mobile to the most fragmented mobile operating system on the planet.
mine says i have the latest updates i do have 2 windows phone one is htc one m8 and lumia 540 both of them did not get the updates can somebody help me? im from the philippines