It's not fair the 4.7 inch could be LCD screen and other sizes OLED Screen sizes,they people prefer smaller screen with similar specifications of other iPhones on the same model at the same release time .
This function area is just their fancy way of naming on-screen-button.
Seems wasteful of display area. I like Samsungs layout better - the display area extends until the rounding of the corners begin. Besides, Apple doesn't need much function area - it has only that single button - the round Home button - whereas the Menu and Return button are not in the function area but in the application display area contrary to Samsung devices. But perhaps Apple is thinking of doing this like Samsung does in order not to clutter every application display with Menu and Return button and in different locations. On another note - why not put the function buttons on the side - like the Power and Volume buttons?
lol "function area"
in Android world it is called back,home and multitasking.
Make a patent of it ... and sue Android for being first.
To be honest I was expecting many phones to adopt the bottom action area.
Like some android phones already have.
Also it was a matter of time before echo fingerprint scanners whould rise as qualcom already has such a think and it sounded like a way better solution than a touch pad or button.
Pretty curious to how the phone will look.
Not that I will be buying an iphone but still.
Maybe there is another apple product needed for other phone companies to wake up and start doing new shizzle with their phones instead of itterating
LOL I thought that Apple finally going to use amoled screen but NO... Apple just ordered amoled strip from samsung as touchbar.. The screen will still be regular old lcd just with additional amoled touchbar below.. Fail Apple
The function area looks like a natural evolution from having capacitive buttons and a fingerprint sensor at the bottom. Now you can put whatever you want there in software and the fingerprint sensor is neatly hidden(assuming its not on the back).
- it makes no sense for the horizontal resolution of the physical OLED panel to differ from the horizontal resolution of the screen area if only the bottom part is devoted to the function area.
- if the display area has the same aspect ratio as the original iphone screen (16:9), the physical OLED panel has an aspect ratio close to 18.5:9.
- 5.8" at an aspect ratio of 18.5:9 would give it 5.8mm (vertical) x 2.65mm (horizontal) bezels. These would be completely unprecedented measurements. Current records (to my knowledge) stand at 15mm vertical (Xiaomi Mix) and 3mm horizontal (Note 7) and that's assuming the Note 7 is really 5.7" instead of a rounded up 5.65".
- it is unlikely to have such small horizontal bezels if it is not also a curved edge panel. The record for non-curved horizontal bezels stands at 5mm (Xiaomi mi5).
- Apple has so far not created any phone models with small bezels, so the claim that they can suddenly be experts at it seems dubious. I'm more confident in Samsung, Xiaomi and LG pulling off such feats.
infamousNXT, 16 Feb 2017He meant what he said. You cannot imply everything is copied from other manufacturers.
As ... moreJesus Sat.an Christ, why you all take everything so serious?
No wonder that people say that its era of snowflakes if no one today get sarcasm and joke...
[that is joke to if you where wondering]*
*this is also a joke
Akinaro, 16 Feb 2017I still love those renders that fans make all the time... they expect super-ultra-mega new loo... more"They" get a bit faster CPU : no, actually, everyone proved the 7 is the fastest smartphone on the planet across all benchmarks...well, the 256GB at least.
Not that it matters much to me, I'm just in it for the O.S. and reliability; form-factor and innovations are quickly drowned in an ocean of lookalikes and similar if not exact same goodies anyways.
Btw, heard that Google robbed some fans of about 5 hours battery-life, is dat true ?
Someone Else, 16 Feb 2017Finally, justifying the high price tag.... wait... $1000? nvmMight be more if they go along with the whole AR thing.
Akinaro, 16 Feb 2017you mean LG second screen, that is just on the bottom of screen?Hmm, yeah you could say that. But the LG V-series can be operated easily with the second screen turned off. But since this new iPhone replaces it's home button with the ""function area" I tend to think it will be more important to how the iPhone works than the V20's second screen.
That's why I made the comparison to Apple's Fnc-Key replacing Touch Bar.
Akinaro, 16 Feb 2017you mean LG second screen, that is just on the bottom of screen?He meant what he said. You cannot imply everything is copied from other manufacturers.
As for the new update I doubt that. If there will be any function area should be on the right side of the display itself. I highly doubt the new home button will go to waste only for the iPhone 7/7plus and eventually the 7s/7s plus.