Vegetaholic, 18 Aug 2017You is rubbish, S8 has g71-20mp, so if it equals to g71-11mp or something which was rumoured i... moreAnd maybe you dont know, kirin chipset uses mali gpu with low core count but very high clock speed eg, mali g71 8core@1000+mhz as tested by anandtech meanwhile samsung uses higher core count with lower clock speed.
rich watarious, 18 Aug 2017Yes as I expected, I knew Huawei will be the first to bring the ARM's new premium GPU & CP... moreHuawei has a predictable release cycle:
- Mate-series: this is their flagship/luxury model, its the most expensive, largest, is released first just ahead of the Holiday Season in-line with the Note/iPhone release, comes with the latest SoC, Camera, Screen, and Luxury Design
- P-series: this is their premium model, its the second most expensive, large size, is released second just after the MWC in-line with the Galaxy S/HTC release, inherits the SoC and Camera of the Mate-flagship, has a Premium Design
- Honor-series: this is their mid-range model, the one they expect to sell the most, is reasonably priced, released very late almost a year after the Mate-flagship, inherits an older SoC or sometimes cutdown, uses a cheaper camera, tries to make up for the shortcomings with a Premium-Luxury design.
...then the cycle repeats itself.
To get the best value for phones, you should buy the P-series as its not very cutdown yet cane be competitively priced. Also buy the device as soon as its released so that it has a longer lifecycle. And upgrade once every 2 years, so that each upgrade feels more like a leap rather than a small step.
Kiyasariin, 17 Aug 2017Actually. MaliG72=1.4 Mali-G71. SO an 8 core G72=11 cores of G71. and 8 cores of G71 are plent... moreYou is rubbish, S8 has g71-20mp, so if it equals to g71-11mp or something which was rumoured it is a failure as usual, move along guys nothing to see here
No... this is not an upgrade... they should have at least upgraded GPU to mp12 if not 20.... maybe this is not final version.
I am also waiting for Honor 7x with reduced bezels that has 5'7 inches of display with the same dimensions of the Honor 6x. It should come with Hi-silicon kirin 660 or 662 that is more battery efficient than the Honor 6x. 3700 mAh of battery capacity will be very important. What I mean is improved audio, improved camera, improved battery life to over 100h endurance, and improved General performance for improved price of $280 dollars. We need this before November.
Yes as I expected, I knew Huawei will be the first to bring the ARM's new premium GPU & CPU out on mate 10 as they did on the Mate 9. The clock speed of 2.8 ghz will be crazy fast. Huawei will not relent until every body on earth recognise their brand as the best performing phone brand on earth. Already their phones are conquering the greats. I love Huawei indeed. But I really really want them to control their annoying bezels.
Oh Haswel you are rightly right. I feel the same as you feel. Very beautiful Honor 9 with ugly huge top and bottom bezels. We need Honor 10 with well reduced bezels of 5'5 or 5'7 with same measurement(diamesions). I wish this could be Honor 9 plus to come before the year ends. That could be the most beautiful phone ever seen on the market.
ZloiYuri, 17 Aug 2017After few dai in-hands with Honor 9 I trust Huawei. They can do this. Great software and fast ... moreI wish I have the patience to wait for Honor 10 (with reduced bezels compared to honor 9). I like everything about the honor 9 except the ugly thick bezels & no at least 5.7 inch screen.
Anonymous, 17 Aug 2017kirins drain too much batteryToo much drain in battery should tell you to try reset your phone and start clean! May be things get messed up a bit after a recent software update from Huawei
Kiyasariin, 17 Aug 2017Actually. MaliG72=1.4 Mali-G71. SO an 8 core G72=11 cores of G71. and 8 cores of G71 are plent... moreTherefore, still quite far from Exynos 8895's G71MP20. They really need to catch that up.
I'll wait a couple of years. The 990 should be much faster.
The beast is arriving XD
Kangal, 17 Aug 2017It's bleeding-edge, but not cutting-edge. Why? Firstly, HiSilicon has proven that they can d... moreBut TSMC is still better than Samsung in terms of power efficiency. This was proven with the A9x chip provided to Apple.
Anonymous, 17 Aug 2017kirins drain too much batterynoooo i still have the mate 8 from 2015 with kirin 950 with emui 5, battery life is excellent, with heavy use and games you get 4.5 to 5 hrs on screen time...
Anonymous, 17 Aug 2017kirins drain too much batteryWell, my Huawei Mate 9's battery life is pretty good. GSM Battery Monitor says these ratings for my battery life after using the phone for almost 6 months:
Battery life average: 3 days and 6,5 hours.
Screen-on-time average: 7 hours 33 minutes (Max. 9 h 24 minutes).
Idle battery drain seems to be about 0.7 %/hour. I know this phone doesn't have the best battery life out there, but I never need to charge this phone twice a day and mostly get through a week with 2 or 3 charges. I'm happy with it.
AnonD-287672, 17 Aug 2017This is good . But will it be better than the 835 of the 8895?It's bleeding-edge, but not cutting-edge.
Firstly, HiSilicon has proven that they can deliver chips, but not at the same level of polish as their competitors from Apple, Qualcomm, and Samsung. And obviously not as good as Intel, AMD or Nvidia. However, HiSillicon are definitely ahead of MediaTek, RockChip, Allwinner, AMLogic, etc etc.
Secondly, TSMC's 10nm wafers are better than GlobalFoundaries, but they're worse than Intel's wafers. Currently Samsung has the best lithography, narrowly edging out Intel.
The QSD 835 will be slightly more faster and efficient in both CPU and GPU.
The Exynos 8895 will be as efficient as the QSD 835, but even slightly faster in both raw CPU and GPU performance. Both these System Chips are developed by more experienced manufacturers and they're using better quality wafers. And to make matters worse, the Qualcomm chips are quite some ways more developer friendly. On top of that, they're nearly a year old. I would welcome competition regardless, but HiSilicon chips are not made available to purchase for other Chinese phone builders, so it has a far smaller effect on the industry than I gave them credit for.
Areas of improvement?
- A larger GPU would be the start, this still seems like the G71, they should upgrade it to the G72 with 12 cores and clock up to 700MHz
- A better Performance Core, like a 2.5GHz Quad Cortex A75 would be neat
- A better Efficiency Core, like a 1.5GHz Quad Cortex A35 would be sweet
- A simple design allows for better optimisation, however it would still need a decent DAC, LTE, and Wireless radios which aren't cheap/buggy
- Opening the chipset source, drivers, documentation to developers is great way to show you care and think forwards. It allows the devices to get better support and last longer in consumer hands, which builds more loyalty, satisfaction, and customer recognition