I guess now I have no reason to upgrade my Note 8 this year. I'll wait for S10 or Note 10.
Anonymous, 14 Feb 2018boring $900 glass rectangle. I want foldable phone or hologram phone asapGo and develop your own phone them ..
Well They have to leave even one upgrade to sansung Galaxy X model next year ;)
Sami - under the screen scanner is vanity.
MILT STD 810 G is sanity.
Focus on making your phones more durable.
boring $900 glass rectangle. I want foldable phone or hologram phone asap
Anonymous, 14 Feb 20181. You cannot use the scanner if you lay it flat on the table. 2. You cannot use the scanner ... moreI very much prefer it to be on the front too. Only time i find having it at the back is useful is when i take it out from my pocket but having it at the side would be more practical than the back. Maybe there should be 2, side and front.
Is under display scanner doable? Sure
Is it durable enough or Is it Reliable enough? Not quite.
Samsung, unlike Xiaomi or Vivo who still need "World First to feature" to move more units,
Samsung put more importance on creating reliable and functional fingerprint scanner rather than "world first" shoddy product as it is the gateway to " way more important than marketing gimmick" Samsung Pay.
And i remember the "world first" "revolutionary" Xiaomi MiMix is plagued with problems like failing basic things like can't hear things on phone call as its under screen speaker sucks.
It's is pretty but yeah, in era shoddy product could get the company sued, Samsung can't risk it. Especially when it related to lucrative Samsung Pay.
Unlike group of mostly grey market phones company, they sell it at awesome price, i personally use Xiaomi, but yeah, they have their shortcomings.
I'm one of those who's been hoping for this sensor to arrive on a Samsung flagship. Having said that, I'm happy at Samsung's decision to prioritise a quality user experience over being early to market.
Having seen the unimpressive performance of Vivo's sensor in a video, I'd say it still has a way to go before it can replicate the supported and accuracy of a regular fingerprint scanner.
Anonymous, 14 Feb 20181. You cannot use the scanner if you lay it flat on the table.
2. You cannot use the scanner ... more1. Fair point but it's not that hard to lift for a little bit, still there maybe some specific situation where FPS on the front is necessary.
2. Thank God! They got the FPS placement right this time so it'll be a non-issue.
3. Fair point.
4. No case will cover the FPS as it's associated with camera slot.
5. Agree, it's a cool feature to have.
Now, the main reason i do not want this feature is because
1. I can live without it. Of course there will be some situational inconvenience.
2. It will make devices more expensive which are already very expensive and it's the main reason i do not want this feature.
3. Reliability issues thus far.
Anonymous, 14 Feb 2018I'm ok with this. I prefer the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone anyway. My hand is... more1. You cannot use the scanner if you lay it flat on the table.
2. You cannot use the scanner unless you got used to the placement, so you might get stain on the camera.
3. Can't use fingerprint feature when using docks / wireless charger.
4. Flip covers, wallet type of casing, will cover the scanner if you flip it over.
5. Looks cool and immersive when you place your scanning on the screen on the App ui.
Benefit of having it in front is better. Thus they pour resources and urgency to get it embedded and working.
Vivo's version doesn't function well enough to bother with.
By the time they think they've sorted this facial / iris recognition will be so advanced fingerprints will be redundant.
What's the point of striving for more buttons- virtual or not?
Anonymous, 14 Feb 2018One button less Which button are you talking about? Samsung flagships do not have home button in the front anymore.
I'm ok with this. I prefer the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone anyway. My hand is there already so it's easier and more convenient for me.