Congrats guys n gals on ur team. I ALWAYZ mention you to anyone who is interested in phones. I've been with you guys like 15 years now and I'm always checking your website like 10 times a day. Imagine zombie for you guys
Hi, Smartviser test android phone with the same protocol with iPhone phone ?
You could update the battery tests for some phones that had unrealistically low battery life, despite being a 'carbon copy' of a different phone that got a completely different result.
That is great! That will give us more accurate tests so we can make better choices!
Kaloyan, 26 Feb 2018Our test routines won't change with this automation, so it's not a benchmark. Here are a few e... moreHowever I have a concern with you guys using such automation.
Will the app itself be a background battery hog, so much that it can noticeably alter the end results of all tests onwards??
Perhaps you can do a before-after comparison to double check on that.
Kaloyan, 26 Feb 2018Our test routines won't change with this automation, so it's not a benchmark. Here are a few e... moreGreat stuff. Any chance that you could do this on some of the older, previously tested devices? I know you say that it will be broadlybaimilar, but just for kicks?
Hopefully you will find some app to test camera battery endurance also. Like how many shots it takes without hiccup or overall, how long it can record 4K as one file or per battery. With camera being main feature, it should be tested same as for wifi/calls/video.
Please try to simulate the following
- driving with google maps navigation
- paired bluetooth radio
- listening to spotify via LTE and bluetooth
- starting with 20% Battery, trying to charge up
most phones get so hot, charging stops entirely of like the sony z5 compact, get a lag/stuttering in navigation and sound. This is an absolute No-Go due to delayed navigation information (like 1km late on a highway). The only way to make this phone usable was active cooling via dangling it in front of an air outlet set to cold.
Akinaro, 26 Feb 2018As far as I understand concept of unifying battery testing... those data will be fake as any b... moreyou do need to understand it's a unified test. One hour of Talking, ome hour of Video Playback and one hour of web browsing PER DAY without doing anything else. running from full battery, to completely flat.
there is somewhere a costum tester that allows you to use THESE parameters with different times.
So happy for you Team GSMArena! I can't wait to see results from the test engine!
Great that you improve yours method on battery life.
For me, battery life is an essential information !
I think it is highly mandatory to reproduce some of the recently tested battery results using the new automated technique.
Thanks team gsmarena, keep innovate.
The best team on mobile review, hopefully there is battery review after used in flagship for a year to prove which manufacture provide the durability battery since all flagship use noremoveable battery.
Kaloyan, 26 Feb 2018Our test routines won't change with this automation, so it's not a benchmark. Here are a few e... moreNice details. Why dont you publish the app on play store it will help users with older devices get idea on how much their battery last after all these years of use and if there is some problem with your review unit user with same unit can correct you easier
Akinaro, 26 Feb 2018As far as I understand concept of unifying battery testing... those data will be fake as any b... moreOur test routines won't change with this automation, so it's not a benchmark. Here are a few examples of what will happen.
1. The app will automatically replay our test video - something we had to do manually each hour.
2. The app will automatically redial the call number after each hour as there is a network security limit of 1 hour per call. We had to do this manually on every 60 minutes.
3. The app will keep track of what happens in standby and we can give you the reason why the standby numbers are outside the norm - high or low. Until now we were just throwing wild guesses, but we could never pinpoint the exact reason in case such wasn't visible in Android's battery stats.
4. The app will keep the screen on for when our automated battery script is running (it is the same script we have used since day 1 that emulates web browsing by loading different pages every 10-20 seconds or so). The script hasn't changed, it was always been the same. But we had to keep the screen turned on manually if the phone didn't have an option for never to turn the screen off. We had to tap every 15-30 mins on it. Now something will do it for us.
And here are the two great benefits of this new automation:
1. The phone will recharge automatically after it reaches a critical percent, and then start doing or continue to do battery tests. This will shorten the time to complete a battery test by a mile.
2. We will have rich background statistics and we would be able to say if a test was plagued by issues, or if it's the phone that has an issue needed to be fixed by a firmware update. This way you - our readers - will know if a phone has a problem at launch that may severely cripple the battery life.
We will try to interpret all of those results into something meaningful to you - our readers. We are not doing it for as e benchmark - we never did. We want to give as helpful information as possible and that will continue to be our goal in the future.
Hope this helps.