Idea 3 is best - but every person/pc only one vote!
If not idea 3 than I would say best would be leav all voting by side and let us only discuss ;)
I'd go with 3. Since the stats are inaccurate anyways, it's not an issue if you start at ground zero.
The idea of Xerxes sounds very good:
- Force all users to sign up with GsmArena and get an ID (unique email is necessary when signing up)
- Allow a registered user to vote for any phone only ONE time a day (both limit the ID and IP)
- Only accept votes that is not very different from current score, for example: current vote score of design for XYZ phone is 8.3, a user votes 2 for design of this phone, then this vote should be rejected because it's obviously biased. The tolerance for determination of biased votes should be argued and set by mathematical formulas (GsmArena knows it best).
- Any user who is known for many biased votes, should be banned and all of him/her other votes be ignored and deleted from Database.
OK, it was my solution and I'm sure it will work!
BTW, I think if you only do this, problem solves easily:
- Ask a question from user who is voting: Are you a fanboy of Nokia or Samsung? If answer is YES, then don't accept the vote!
(Just KIDDING, not offensive) HaHaHa...
Leave the old votes as is, and start a new voting system for only logged in users for the new phones..
Create a table in your database wherein you have a column with the date of the vote.
Periodically(hourly, daily) delete the votes older than one month and refresh the view.
Why not reset statistic periodicly every month or something like that. Than you may have a list of most popular phones for that certain month.
Make the voting system for logged in users only. But don't restrict to login to facebook only. Allow users to login with gmail or other popular mail clients. If some people create multiple accounts just to vote then nothing can be done about them.
A suggestion to method 2: combine the 1st and 2nd method, meaning logged in users are allowed to vote only ONCE, filtration done with IP filtering.
i say follow option 2 but with a little change apart from the current ranking show another ranking coloumn which shows the results from users who are registered.
In a way you shift from current method to the new one in future if you like without much impact and secondly the lower known phones will not be neglected
Why change now?
While Samsung phones were all over the top everything was clear and fair.
Now, "manipulation" is referred and something must be changed.
The tide has changed.
There is nothing to do but to accept that change.
Any other way, it wouldn't look good on this site's imparcial and serious image.
I think the third one is better. It is also used on other sites who don't have problems.