“Memory caps at just 8GB” .. Are we really going there, GSMArena?? 8GB is more than enough for any smartphone and Sony is actually using faster GDDR5 RAM. They also have excellent RAM management. I am yet to see the use case for 12GB RAM on any phone
Anonymous, 27 May 2020Let me put my words here before any review comes out: This phone is not built with good enoug... moreThat's common. Most cameras that cost thousands of dollars offer a higher burst rate thats not even as high as 20fps, but you have to shoot in lower quality and compressed files. What did you expect? You should know this
Let me put my words here before any review comes out:
This phone is not built with good enough quality components (both hardware and software) on which you can build a quality camera system by 2020 standard.
What is special about the camera subsystem of this phone?
1) "BIONZ X Mobile", a software version of its "BIONZ X" chip-based ISP used in Sony's alpha cameras. Due to a lack of synergy between SD865's ISP (Hardware-based) and "BIONZ X Mobile" (software-based), Sony uses a seriously under-powered software-based ISP to try to accomplish what a hardware-based ISP ("BIONZ X" chip) does for a alpha camera. In other word, when this Sony phone is faced with a large amount in-coming image data, it is forced to deal with heavy image processing task with computation-light algorithms.
2) Only the main camera sensor is decent, but not among the best sensors used for 2020 phones. The primary strength of this sensor is fast data read-out rate (10ms). When this strength is properly utilized in combination with high bit-rate and good codec support from ISP (hardware-based), you will get good quality video. However, Sony uses that strength to offer "high burst rate photo shoot" of 20 fps. Because not enough computing power is available to do proper image processing at such a high burst rate, you end up with a large flood of poor photos.
I'm a Sony fanboy. But that camera killed it for me, very sad.
This phone got me excited AF, it is a pity I can't grab because of the availability :C
Asphalt-nation, 26 May 2020Phone was annouced months ago, why it takes so long for them to release it ??1) the factories start production of the announcement. Reason none knew specs until like 10h before the online event.
2) factories are in Thailand, the country has had serious problems with the virus
3) photo pro was not ready , still it is not. Japanese units do not have it.
4) in many places the situation is bit better compared to march/april. Sony would just lose more money with earlier release.
5) xperia 1 also came in late may. No delay compared to previous years.
The Xperia 1 II does not have a 70mm equivalent 12 megapixel camera with 1/3.4" type sensor. Dpreview has posted sample images, the exif focal length is 6.95mm. A 1/3.4" type sensor has a crop factor of 8.6.
6.95 x 8.6 = 60mm , this likely means that Sony crops a 60mm 12 megapixel camera in order to give you 70mm. So Sony's specifications are wrong. At 70mm the sensor area is likely smaller than a 1/4" type sensor and there will be only 9 million sensor pixels, if the resolution of the entire sensor is 12 megapixels.
I am curious as to why Sony phones are so, lets say, hum drum... Baby steps updates, nothing WOW.. They all look alike and always a few steps backward of the other phone ?
Asphalt-nation, 26 May 2020Phone was annouced months ago, why it takes so long for them to release it ??there is a pandemic going on u know that right
Asphalt-nation, 26 May 2020Phone was annouced months ago, why it takes so long for them to release it ??From info that I can gathered, one of them that it has to do to prevent leaks spreading far from launch date (to prevent like Pixel 3 leaks level) since Xperia X Performance, and the production of their Q1 flagship started after announcement for Sony, unlike many other OEM that started before launch, and Camera Pro app software optimization and to fix bugs.
Bobi7x7, 26 May 2020I need your full review and also DXOmark then i will decide P40 Pro or Sony Xperia 1 II DXOmark is a joke
I hope the Sony Xperia 1 II has the coveted 4.9 star rating or 4.8. It has to score better because they got the 3.5mm jack back.
Almost 2 weeks sooner than last year, but waiting for next flagship like forever.
MagicMonkeyBoy, 26 May 2020Yes... Unbox therapy nailed it... This is possibly THE most professional smartphone camera, au... moreWell, if you do not watch content for 10yo, there is always JuanBagnell ... with real reviews and real camera comparisons.
Can't wait for GSM battery and speaker test, but I will probably pass on their video test, since they are one of the worst when it comes to that category.
Serisously, GSM please try to make video test that ... test the video recording image and sound and all that stuff.