AnonD-909757, 24 Aug 2020Solutions from best to worst :
1) No front camera, front camera have a SINGLE advantage tha... moreSo, you prefer to pay for a secndary screen than having a small front camera?
AnonD-909757, 24 Aug 2020Solutions from best to worst : 1) No front camera, front camera have a SINGLE advantage tha... moreAnd din't forget that under duspkay cameras can fail because of the movibg picels
Solutions from best to worst :
1) No front camera, front camera have a SINGLE advantage that can't be reproduced with other methods, which is continuous/regular face recognition check, which isn't a thing yet anyway, to compensate the absence of front camera and allow selfies and video calls there are 3 solutions :
**A second display on the back.
**A retractable (double) mirror on the back, reflecting your face to the main camera.
**Other display solution (on smartwatch, another external device, direct retinal projection, etc).
Those solutions literally mean that front camera isn't required and everything (except continuous authentification) can be done.
2) Pop up and flip up camera, unlike what peoples say they does NOT suffer from wear issues, they do last long, longer than display, chips and batteries, which by the way are way more important, it is stupid to think that only moving parts wear down, moving parts are quite reliable when not used wrongly, there are almost not a single report of definitive broken pop up camera (outside of abuse) to be found, but for the same phones, tons of reports about display, chips and battery issues are to be found, proving that the pop up is actually more reliable than the most important components themselves.
About water, it CAN be made waterproof, and the OnePlus 7(t) Pro proved that a phone with pop up can be water resistant enough to survive most accidental drop in water or water spilled on it, and if you are gonna think about those two letters, I stop you right there, IP rating is actually useless, no brand do cover water damages, including for phones with IP rating, IP rating isn't waterproof but a certification that few randomly out of many phones of the same model, in perfect brand new conditions, in a lab with controlled environment and excellent conditions, survived ONCE a test, many IP67/68 rated phones do die, the funny part is, if we compare an IP68 rated phone sold to the same volume as the OnePlus 7 Pro AND 7T Pro, and we compare the OnePlus against said phone, you'll find MORE report of damaged or dead phone by water for the IP rated one, because IP rating ISN'T waterproof and DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD put your phone under water, peoples use them as if they were submarines, meaning many do die, unlike pop up phones which actually make peoples more cautions about their phone, proving that IP rating can actually be detrimental.
Flip Up camera share many advantages with the pop up, but the pop up can be improved further and use an electromagnetic + magnet and rail actuation system rather than an electric motor, allowing it to be more wear resistant, tougher, entirely waterproof as the pop up can be physically outside the phone's main body (in a separated enclosure) that would also make it easy to maintain without opening the phone.
Both those solution come with a HUGE thing :
Privacy, and before you think privacy is just one of many factors to take into consideration, actually, privacy is the MOST IMPORTANT thing you can think of when buying a phone, collection of private data aren't just about targeted ads, it can have SERIOUS consequences and is to be taken really seriously !
3) Then the Bezel come as way better than the underdisplay camera, literally, what actually is the issue with having border OUTSIDE of the display ? Are peoples also going that beyond the phone there is the real world showing up ?
The ONLY aspect a bezel show anything negative is simply by reducing the display to body ratio, which, for peoples preferring smaller phones, CAN be a negative point, but when you see phones like the Nubia Play, you can't tell me that bezels are necessarily big or intrusive !
4) The notch, when properly done COULD be nice, but it would require a large one to have many sensors, otherwise it is useless, AND require Android to adapt to show notification and statut icons BOTH around and under the notch, in two lines, as the notch take precious space.
5) Tiny notches (teardrop) and punch hole are both equally stupid, mainly when you consider that a chin probably as thick as what a bezel would be is ALWAYS here on phones with punch holes and slim notches, meaning literally, you could have a phone with no chin but a slim bezel AND NO DAMN BUNCH OF DEAD PIXELS !
6) Underdisplay camera is the stupidest and most problematic solution, for many aspect : lesser quality for both the pictures and the display (there is a spot where the camera is located, you can make it hard to see, but not invisible), is extremely costly, so hard to do that after years and probably way over millions per brand wasted on it, we barely have the first one coming soon (and no one guarantee that it will be good).
But it is a true privacy hasard, remember how I explained that IP rating actually cause more phones to die because of water ? The same apply here, hiding the camera will make peoples think the phone is not potentially looking, and with ALL the news exposing scandals of illegally acquired private data of users, it is foolish to think your camera isn't spying on you, the pop up camera actually helped pointing it out by popping up when some websites/apps were triggered, an excuse of "it access some camera code, which trigger the pop up" was given, but considering that when launching the whole damn camera app, if the video start with the main camera, the pop up doesn't move, meaning it only does when a picture/video is taken, it prove they did actually take pics/video of users illegally.
And if you think that's over because the pop up doesn't do that anymore, I am sure if you were to change your phone model ID to make it appear as one without a pop up, you would get a surprise of seeing the pop up moving again.
Underdisplay camera concept is also totally stupid, trying to look through an opaque surface is as stupid as it can get, and yes it is also true for optical underdisplay camera, which capacitive do a better job and ultrasonic an even better one, think about it, when looking inside something, what scientist do ?
Shine a super bright light at it and try to look inside, or use sound which do travel through bodies to see it ?
Anyway, underdisplay camera are the new thing that will spam the market like the punch hole did, soon, most smartphones will have it despite the huge price tag that will probably come with it, and no other solutions will be available in anything than some ultra rare occasions.
The first few underscreen cameras will be a monumental disaster. And that's how it is with each new tech.
Anything is better than a hole or notch.
mehami, 23 Aug 2020Hi
punch hole notch is really disgusting and disgusting.
I will not buy a new phone until n... morePunch hole is better than Apples Face ID notch. Also better than moveable mechanism because of gradual wear and tear.
Till we get to under display sensors the punchole and pill are the way forward. Huawei did notches and then learned to do the Samsung way. Others have also followed suit like Google, Xiaomi. Apple is left but for now they still using their Face ID.
no moving parts are always better
also more convenient in this case
i don't care about lower front camera quality, ain't teenage girl
punch hole notch is really disgusting and disgusting.
I will not buy a new phone until notch is removed .
I am waiting for a Samsung phone without punch hole and with under-screen cameras.
There will be 2 screens 1st across the camera and 2 nd on the camera hence the screen quality will be not compromised as to current situation. Also, the only compromise we have to make is screen coverd on camera.
Anders, 23 Aug 2020Under screen is obviously better in theory as long as the quality is there. With under screen ... moreDo you remember Samsung galaxy s5? Ok, it was ip67. But had removable parts. So why is that suddenly impossible to make now?
Tbh, I liked the pixel 4 approach. A small bezel on top for camera, etc. And no bottom bezel for smooth swipes.
Anonymous, 23 Aug 2020Dual screen is useless. You need 1) selfie -works 2) videocall -doesn't help anything.Edit: I mean if secondary screen is a SMALL one. Regular on a flipside isn't worth price, usability, breakable... at least on current phones. Generally Idea isn't wrong.
You know what, the thing I want the most is for the screen to be an uninterrupted rectangle with sharp corners.
Then the phone's outer corners could be rounded off, but that would add bezels.
There are also a few phones with quite thin bezels with cameras in them. (Meizu 16s already mentioned is one, but is has unnecessarily overly rounded screen edges too for some reason ...)
Or why would a phone necessarily have to be rectangular with straight edges and rounded corners? Why not make the top edge curved and fit a bigger lens in there?
By all means do put buttons on the lower bezel. I don't care if you think that would be "old". A good designer could still make this look new and exciting. Form follows function.
I use my selfie camera once a year, so I don't care about the quality. The rear camera and screen are all I care about.
Under screen is obviously better in theory as long as the quality is there. With under screen the phone can still be ip68 and it means there are no moving parts to break. But the quality we will get remains to be scene
Under the screen camera won't give you the same quality.
why not just plain old bezel? I would choose flip-up cams, but selfie camera on a bezel is tons better than the solution came after it...