I don't think it's that simple. Most likely u'll need a programmer(hardware) or something to flash the eprom... no idea at all. Normally u can only get firmware upgrade thru Nokia Service Centre.... but probably can get some gadgets online.... that i really dunno... i don't intend to do so coz I don't want my warranty to be void. Sorry can't help u on this one.
Im keen to upgrade firmware on my N3230, Hey TC is there any free Firmware upgrade available, also please let me know how to upgrade it.. i mean the process. will it be done simply by attaching USB cable to the PC and trasfer the upgrade version to the N3230.
I need ur help again :)
i had the 3230 with prev firmware. its sounds cannot be compared to 6630 as the difference is like night and day. however, i dont know if this is still the case now that the firmware upgrade has improved 3230's sound quality.
U can only upgrade firmware. Not OS.
To check firmware:
Yes, all java phone should be able to run the .jar programs (I think the term is something like MIDP v1 and v2) However, it depends also on how the programs is written. If the program is written to be used universally, then u won't get screen size problem. Nowadays I often encounter programs (more often are games) that is giving bigger screen then the usual 208x176 nokia symbian phone screen size. I think lots of new SE phone is having 220x176 size and I guess those programs are written for SE.
Oh ya, certain java enabled phone require another file .jad apart from the .jar file. In fact nokia 40 series phone need that... (my old 6610 do, not sure the new one how)
I've been giving a lot of .jar programs to my friends who own SE phones. It's working on their phone too.
BTW .rar is a PC zip format like .zip file. It's not java file.
At first I loved the phone, then it started randomly shutting down and freezing halfway through txting then shutting down. This started happening a week after I got it, then it stopped now the phones off more than its on. I have been told it can be rectified with a software upgrade, if this is a common fault you would think they would have the upgrade installed. As soon as the phone is paid off I will to getting a new one.
Guys... err, sorry... how to see the OS version of this phone and how to get the updated OS for this phone ?
I have 3230 and I found it great phone only the sound is not stereo even with the new firmware. I am going to replace it with 6630 only to get stereo sound. Please tell me guys who has listen both phons's sound.how much the difference in mp3 sound quility? should I go for 6630 or not???
Thanks a twillion for all the help you have given in all these forums. You are an angel. belive me.
Please help me with this one question. I need to know if .rar, .jar files a work on a java enabled fone too.
i m using n3230 with V3.0505.2 RM-51 firmware
and i think ther are lots of prob with this firmware what is the new firmware and has it improved the mp3 quality, is it stereo sound or still dual mono.
Is there any video player .sis wich can play this video formats: .mp4, .mpeg, .avi, .mpg from phone? help me pls.
Hey TC, i had the same problem and u helped me out, and now when i saw krystal having the same problem so i help her out with the same nodes.
Oh ya about the battery, I also a bit disappointed coz 3230 using lower capacity battery (BL-5B instead of BL-5C) when it's using lots of power. Most 60 series using BL-5C that gives 900mAh instead of 760mAh. Really can't understand. Guess that's why it is under 3000 series rather the 6000 or 7000 series.
I almost charge my everyday coz i play with the phone a lot. I think the most power draining thing the screen backlights.
For all who are still using the old firmware, please update to the latest and you should have a pretty decent Nokia 3230.
New data package v37.0 (MCU SW 4.0537.0) has been released for RM-51.
Changes/improvements made from MCU SW v 4.0526.2 to v 4.0537.0:
- SW support for new Bluetooth module added
- Improvement for pairing devices
- Improved handling of volume control when music player is stopped by incoming phone call
Changes/improvements made from MCU SW v3.0505.2 to v4.0526.2:
- Call and network management
- A warning tone just before the ringing tone is played due to safety
reason, but the sound level has been reduced by 10dB
- Warning tone is not played when the ringing tone is set to “Off”
- Improved handling of GPRS request from network enabling streaming at high rate
- Improvement for browser when trying to access some specific web pages
- The UPD range was previously limited to the range 6970-32000 and now the supported range is 1024 (0x400) and 65535 (0xFFFF)
- The phone enables a use of vibra also in the “silent” profile
- The message symbol blinks when the phone memory is full and the symbol discontinues after messages have been deleted.
- The session control has been improved to ensure proper handshake with the network so all MMS’s sending acknowledgements are better interpreted by the phone
- “Agent V” will be muted when the silent profile is selected
- The phone's SIM Driver has been update to be able to handle NULL strings send from the Gemplus SIM card, and thereby enabling improved roaming
- Improvement for Java application in order to avoid a memory leak in Java games
- Improvement for the start-up sequence when starting up the phone
- Improvement in camera picture quality when preview the taking (1xmode) image
- Updated made to the camera driver, when the camera is used for still pictures in Night mode and if the camera needs to refocus
- Improvement when muvee clip created
- Improvement for MP3 sound quality
Guys guys, pls be polite to each other ok.
BTW, I think even with firmware upgrade there's no stereo mp3. I don't really observe much sound quality improve either.
I think phone comparison is a very subjective issue. It really depend what u want actually. 6630 has faster processor and it's running Symbian OS8. It can run many new 3D games which I find 3230 can't run or running very slow. 6630 allows variable zoom for it's video recording but 3230 don't.
However 3230 has radio and infrared. And one more very important feature (to me) is that it got a joystick instead of navi-buttons. In fact this was the reason I didn't trade-in my 3230 for 6630 after I got my 3230 and found out that it wasn't that cool especially the sound. Well I was really tempted to do so though.
One more thing, 3230 can use normal RS-MMC whereas 6630 can't. So at that time (April 05) RS-DV-MMC is still very expensive and only available up to 256mb. So I made up my mind to stick to 3230 and got myself a 512mb memory.
So, conclusion is, it really depends what u want. If sound is very important, might as well get SE than Nokia.
Hey, those sentence u post to Krystal sounds familiar leh... he3. Anyway, I guess that's how it should be huh. Building up a good community where ppl helping ppl. :-)
mp3 on the 6630 can be set as ringing tone. pls check well before posting in order to avoid misleading others.