Here is some technical advice from me a software expert.
Nokia 3230 will restart when :
1) You install buggy software or spyware which does things which it is not not do.
2) Your phone may have caught a virus through bluetooth or while browsing the web sites from the phone.
3) The phone memory is completely full. Check the free mem space from Nokia3230->Menu->Tools->File mgr. Click options-> Memory Details. It will count the memory being used by the PHONE MEMORY. On my Nokia 3230 it has 4.5 MB free. It never reboots or just once in a while.
4) The phone has multi tasking feature. Which means that if you open contacts, it is kept open till you manually click Options->Exit. So each time you go to Inbox or open gallery or go to missed calls or send SMS, open camera, open radio etc, they are running in the background. You must close them to release the memory and clear the temporary files which they create in Phone Memory. Rebooting hence closes all applications and starts allocation of memory to applications freshly. I reboot twice a week. Even once a week is fine as long as you close opened menu items frequently. You can see open apps by keeping the menu button pressed for 3-4 seconds. Press the joystick up or down to highlight an opened application and press the C button to kill that application running in the background and using precious phone memory. You should have only the telephone task running at the background and at most 1-2 tasks, which is fine.
5) Upgrade the old firmware version from Nokia.
6) You can request Nokia to format the phone memory and install applications freshly.
7) If you still face issues with your Nokia 3230 hanging, then you may have been sold a buggy or a not thoughly checked phone by Nokia which Nokia should replace.
8) If still you face issues, then Nokia Smartphones are not for you. You should stick to older simple series 40 phones which are usually meant for calling / SMS / basic cameras etc. Nokia 6230i (a series 40 phone) is a very good phone with almost all features which Nokia 3230 has though its camera is somewhat not as good, but it has stereo MP3 player. These phones have default Nokia Operating system which does not allows the user to do things for which he has no knowledge. Latest series 40 phones have 1.3 to 2 megapixels cameras and are equally good but they do not have a Symbian OS which I am very fond of, which extends the functionality of my Nokia 3230 to extreme lengths. Its for technically expert people, though normal users can restrict usage to basic needs and it will function without any hassles.
hi this is pranit.i jst submitted my nokia 3230 in nokia care today FOR THE THIRD TIME.this ph is so sad man.it restarted the day i bought it.IT GAVE ME MANY SFW PROBLEMS.REBOOTS EVERY NOW AND THEN.finally it got repaired.got working for three months and again conked off on me.its bad man. m very disappointd with the phones software.CAN NOKIA HELP ME WITH THIS?its not worth the money they charge on this.at least ensure the new or the upgradedv version of this phone is in the market??????????????????
for me 3230 is a good fone...
it has a good camera and aside from that it can take video up to 1 hour!
for the people out there who says that it can only have a 125mb memory card,your absolutely wrong! coz im using a 256mb memory card!
what else,n3230 has a good design compared to the others...im sure that those who have big and small hands will love to hold it!
it also has radio..which is important for the music lovers like me!radio is also important for entertainment purposes!
the games on it are fun to play!
the speaker,i notice that many people gave bad comments about the speaker of the fone!
let me tell you this guys! why dont you play your mp3 on the stereo! so that you will be satisfied with its volume!remember that this is a fone not a stereo or a radio as well,,.!
if your not satisfied with the quality of the mp3,why dont you go for an i pod!?
the fone is very stylish! thats why it gets alot of attention when i go out!
hi, i've been using 3230 since last nov. It keeps hanging and one day it got dropped from me without my knowledge which is very less in distance. Now i cant switch on my ph and display is completely damaged. Nokia priority says IC is been out form ph's mother board and i just cant really understand wt hapnd to my mobile. I cant see my mobile dead wn am alive. not joking am serious. Am a mobile savvy pls help me out wt should i need to do to set up my ph in old condition. Do i replace motherboard?
I would rather buy a new mobile instead doin that buddy.
Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeee plssssssss
what kind of phone is this? it keep hanging every now and then. Recently it developed a software problem( failure in the start up program).
Imagine the phone is just three months old!
hey guyz can you please help me with my prob.?my fone is 0nly new and
i accidentally dropped my n3230 for the frst tym.i just want to know what possible problems i will encounter with the fone..how about your suggestions?
please help bro and sis!
Hi!GUYS.I had my 3230 phone about 6 months ago. i have first 4 pages of comments from u users.i only find only one statment opposing about its qualty true ,that is about its sound.it has not much good 3d sound.this problem can be handled by using speakers or handsfree.all other problems hadarisen due to carelessness or rough use of it.It is best smartphone.
Please help... My phone indicates that a headset is conected even if it is not. Im hoping that this is just a software problem. Anyone knows how to fix this problem? Any comment would be a lot of help too. Thanks in advance
i don't like it anymore!!! waaaaaaa... the joystick/scroll doesn't work now!! i've been using it for about 10 months only and it's already freaking hard to use just because of the joystick!!... i don't like nokia phones anymore because of my experience with 3230! I want SE now!! much better.... i want a K800 or a K790... wooooH!! GO SE!!! :D
i recently bought this phone but i have a problem it restarts itself pretty much and the phone is new i don't know what to do??? plz help me!!
I purchased a nokia 3320 a month ago. Its a nice mobile.
The only problem which at times i face is that it gets stuck some times.
the firmware version =4.0537.0
I dont know the current OS version installed on it.
Can someone help me?
A very good review I must admit. So you decided that 6630 is better. I stumbled upon the option of buying 6630 and I found it rather good when I held it and noticed its colors. It appeared to be a rich boy's toy at that time (more than months back).
6630 is the best and has the most powerful Nokia processor in its entire range. It has Symbian OS version 8 which is even higher than 3230's. Symbian OS creates an operating system for the phone to use its phone api and design softwares using C++ and Java to harness the operating system's and the phone api to create more softwares than are usually allowed by older default OS like Series 40 used in Nokias.
Moreover its cost was also same as 3230. However still I decided to go in for the 3230 because -
1) 6630's design does not look sleek and professional especially in corporate offices. It is quite bulky and oval shaped. 6600 is still widely used by business sophisticated professionals however nobody has 6630 in my business circle. Hence it would appear to be out of the way to hold out a rather strangely designed phone even if it was far better and faster. Nokia does these things purposefully. They do not want to give a perfect phone to keep sales of all products going. Each phone is designed for particular features. Phones have to be stylish also. And tell me who would not agree to it? Styling sells a lot. Look at the Moto RAZR. Even though it has not even 1/3rd of the functions which 3230 has still it sells so much. People have no idea about its functions. They just want it for Style. See how much a hit the Apple IPod is? Just because it's an Apple IPod and it looks cool. Style statement matters a lot. It reflects your personality also if you want to make a good impression. It's only human after all.
2) It does not have a FM radio. Radio gives you access to news and 100000's of songs 24 hours of the day and is much better than having songs stored in the memory card. It helps to feel connected to the world with so many FM stations. In many countries you have close to 40 FM channels with so much stereo music, shows, news. It's great !
3) 6630's battery does not even lasts a single day especially due to its 3G feature.
4) It did not have a joystick which is great fun to use when playing games etc. It is almost very easy to use especially if you work a lot with your PC and mouse.
5) It uses costlier Dual Voltage RS-MMC which was costlier 6-8 months ago. Now it is just slightly more costly hence it is better today but certainly not earlier when I bought 3230.
6) It has a stereo MP3 player which is its great plus point over the 3230. However I have 2 MP3 players - An IPod and another one smaller than a match box, so I do not mind if 3230 does not have a stereo MP3 player. At least it can play stereo Mp3 songs in mono and I can use playlists through softwares. That's more than enough for me. It's speaker is not a quality speaker however it is better than Nokia 6600. Plus it plays song in a tone softly - which is better than the shrill treble sounds of 6680 and 6681 N70s etc. Treble has to be reduced a lot to make it bearable.
7) 6630 did have issues with dropping off the network. And that's a big issue because basically you buy a phone to talk. What happens if you bought all the power and you cannot even make calls with it? 3G phones need to keep continuously searching for 3G networks. Is there a way to turn it off? Also does it have safety hazards when it tries to search for powerful 3G networks? What's the use when you cannot do that? Plus you need to recharge the 6630 every day. It has a poor battery. All the functionality goes kaboom when the phone's battery dies so fast.
8) Pricing. The 6630 came out with a steep price tag of 660 $ USD when it was launched. I still remember those Nokia ads mentioning 3G phones and power with CNN news readers in this phone's ads. Nokia created such a hype out of it. Now look at it today. It hardly costs 255 $. A drop of close to 1/3 rd. Still at this price it is a very good buy but certainly not when it was launched at such a steep price. For me getting value for money is higher than spending needlessly on features which I will never use. It's not that I cannot buy the costliest phones, I can buy the entire Nokia range, but getting value for money is what matters most.
9) 6630's music edition was not available at that time. It featured a 256 MB memory card with better speakers for stereo sound etc etc. A feature which I liked a lot but this edition of 6630 handset was not available then.
10) 6630's camera was just as good as 3230's. It's smooth 6x zoom was good however with a software it is possible to do a smooth zoom on 3230 also upto 8x and higher also.
This was why still 3230 was better.
I am a proud owner of a Nok-3230 & need to know what does SYMBIAN statnd for....??
Great camera phone (considering that it does not have flash)!!!
please my casing is badly damaged and i was wondering if anybody out there can kindly send me one cos i have searched for it to no avail. and is there anything one can do to increase the volume of this fone cos it seems like the volume is reducing by the day
hy..i wonder what does mono MP3 player means...a poor sound quality or what? i am not sure but with speakers will it sound better?
as someone living in the philippines, using a phone for calling is only an option. most phones here are only for text purposes.
when i first got this phone i was happy to have a better phone than the 6600. i was wrong, it was the 6600 all over again.
it slows down... unless i clear the Log.
i was disappointed that my 256MB MMC won't fit, i had to buy an RS-MMC.
the cover for the battery easily slides off and then the screen instantly asks if you want to remove the memory card. if you press yes, any apps running from the memory card will instantly be shut off. especially themes!
this phone reboots too much.
no improvement when taking video from the 6600 other than that it can record longer.
there is a contrast and saturation problem when taking pictures. colors are too extreme.
you can barely hear anything when listening to mp3s with the headset.
volume isn't that great either. it's too loud and it all sounds the same. it's mute, loud, louder, and louder, etc...
if you receive a call or message, there's an annoying beep before the tone plays. and it can't be shut off. and again. adjusting the volume from the Profiles does nothing.
infrared is useless, it's hard to connect to another device.
the phone can't read the memory card correctly, it reads it as corrupted. i realized this because that little piece of metallic thing that slides the simcard in and out, scratches the memory card. i place a piece of paper to resolve this problem.
aside from all these. i find it great to be a texting phone. the keypad "feels" better than the 6600. and i love that the thumbstick has its own functions.
Hello everybody. I am Sumit. from india.
This is My first detailed review on nokia 6630,3230,6681
** 3230 vs 6630 vs 6681 **
I will discuss these three models in detail and simple language....
may be it will be helpful to u.
** History of my previos handsets **
Lg G1800(i have this now also.and i like it)
nokia 6630 (best among all the phones)
my 3 frinds have 3230. i have 6630. and 2 frinds have 6681. i got my 6630 four days ago.after reserching 2 months on the web and reading almost all forums and stuff available on the net. i went for 6630.
** Let us discuss about three phones. which i had considered before buying 6630..
** Processor **
3230 - 104 MHZ (slower)
6630 - 223 MHZ (faster than 3230)
6681 - 223 MHZ
** symbian os **
6630 V8.0 bugs fixed. more ability
** battery **
3230 BL 5B
6630 BL 5c(best)
6681 BL 5c (" ")
nokia has BL series like bl 1,2,3,4,5
Among them Bl 5 is latest and i think best.
6630 has talktime upto 3 hours(3g on) and 6 hours ( 3g off). enough for everybody..
3230 has talktime upto 11 hours. because its processor is slow. stand by time of all three is almosy same..
** DISPLAY **
technically all are same. but 3230 is best according to me.
** mp3 player**
3230 worse... its mono..
6630,6681 strereo and best
** 3D Games **
6681 not supported.. go through other sites and u'll see this.
** phone memory **
more phone memory = more speed.and runs big application also..
6630 10mb great than others
**memory card included in pack **
** i recommend to add memory cards of following size for good(bearable) performance and good size **
3230 128mb. since slow proccessor,low ram
6630 512mb required for mp3
6681 512mb "" ""
** assembly **
in asia 3230 is manufactured in china. and shiped to asian contries.anyone can see the difference in 3230 it feels like cheap plastic. 6630,6681 are manu.in finland.. and imported to asia.. their build quality is best.
** looks **
according to many people
6630 good. bulky.(only negative factor)
according to me
i like all three. but 6630 looks great. i am fan of it.and doesnt matter. its trend of big phones :-)
** EDGE **
3230 half. only for uploading.
leave kbps.(b= bit)
we'll consider kBps(B=byte, actual file size is in this format.)
if i leave one big file for downloading then i get
3230 5-6 kBps, 13 to 16 mb per hour
6630 18-20 kBps 50-64mb per hour(by edge. no 3G available in india)
6681 same as 6630
i have tested all on pc. now posting this from 6630 connected to pc.
3230 uopload fast. but download by normal GPRS. so no use for me.
**3G support.** soon will be available in india
much faster than edge
3230 not supported
6681 not supported
** weight **
almost same for all.and doesnt matter much
** Data cable **
3230 not included in pack
its worth Rs 1200
(RS=India currency. 1$=47 Rs)
** headset included**
6630 grey like nylon. one of the best.
6681 pure white. one of the best.
** typing **
3230 headacke... bit difficult
6630 comparatively better
** user interference **
3230 best. as its os is 7.
6630,6681 bit difficult, because more powerful os.and can do more things
** push to talk **
i dont know what is it. and doesnt matter. because no friend of mine uses it
6630 not supported
6681 i dont know
** s60 applications **
3230 most of it works
6630 most of it works
6681 most of them DONT work
** price ** india, 28-march-2006
3230 Rs- 11,100
6630 Rs- 11,650
6681 Rs- 14,500
** hot swap **
dont ask what is it. i know it. but tired of typing...
ok.. its... u can remove memory card withouth shutting phone off. and u dont have to remove cover also.
** FM radio **
doesnt matter for me.
** CD with software **
** conclusion **
( "~~~~~~" = best acc. to me)
3230= 11100+1200(data cable)=12300
-plays all applications,3D games
-" 3G "support ,
-very vey fast than previos model 3230
-plays all applications,3D games ~~~~~~
-big impression on others,
again ~~~~~~ means better
-lack of " 3G "
-no data cable
-not stable. cant say whaen it is going to hang.
-no FM(doesnt matter for me),
-others find it bulky. but i like it ~~~~~~
-No 3D games,
-doesnt play almost all the s60 applications
-not so stable
** Summery **
6630 is the winner. just go and buy it
**** Now the best part is here.******
I know its very difficult to find free 3gp videos,movies,clips etc on net.
but i have found one good site after long search....
no registration. download
accelerator,manager can be used..
**** free ngage games ****
here u can find all ngage games, s60 applications for free.
just register and enjoy.
site is. dont forget to scroll down...
*** links ***
www.ovao.com (for free thousands of 3gp)
www.s60addict.co.nr (best i have found ever all ngage games and all s60 applications)
IF you like this review..
then please leave a comment on my email ID.
any suggestions or information regarding this which i havent mentioned are also most welcome.................
A good MP3 player for Nokia 3230 is Viking MP3 Player version 3.5 or higher. It has another name of Gravity also. It has 8 band equalizer which provides good results.