I just purshased this phone today,I am very disappointed because I found that this phone is made in china..because when I ordered it online from DELL,the representative told me that they carry the one made in finland...I don't know if there is a big difference in the quality or not..
also I keep trying to know what is the WCDMA frequency of this phone ,but I didn't found it.is it 850/1900 or 900/2100.I looked in the user manual, but there is nothing...Does anybody know how can I know?thx guys
Agree with Jay and Picturesbyme below, this is a great phone, esp in the $200+USD range. I just bought for $225+tax thinking I would try for a week and return it, but am amazed at features at this price point-- GPS and WiFi makes it a keeper for me. The touchscreen is surprisingly easy to use with finger tip. Is this a glass screen? Do I need a protector?
very poor camera. if you are into taking pictures (especially at night) i wont advice you to use 5800. its a music phone anyway so maybe thats a valid excuse. but then again its supposed to have a powerful camera because its 3.2 megapixel or something. quite disappointing.
finally what speed of cpu of 5800? my 5800 is more slow, but right here in this site theres are two information. look at " specifications" and look "nokia 5800 spressmusic review" please gsm arena answer the question everybody wants the true
lengleng, 31 Aug 2009just bought the phone today..very nice... problem and a question: whenever i try to brows... morethis happens when you are connected to wi-fi network which doesn't required password but specific mac addresses
HELP NEEDED !
Hey ... i m having a problem in my nokia 5800 .. when i go in gallery and click on edit button and after i click on img or apply effect option it comes to the gallery !
i updated my fone from ver 10 to ver 30 but i m having the same problem !
lengleng, 31 Aug 2009just bought the phone today..very nice...
problem and a question: whenever i try to brows... moreI had the same issue. I did the following and it seemed to have fixed it.
Go to Setting-Connectivity-Destinations
Add your WiFi connection to "Internet" and "WAP" by selecting either of them and going to Options-New access point and check for available access points.
Now in the browser select Options-Settings-General-Access point and set to always ask.
Doing this allows you to choose the WiFi when you start the browser and stops it when you close the browser. This should take care of your issue.
I have had this phone for about a month and have used it extensively. For the money, there is nothing like it. I will just mention a few thing about this phone since GSMArena has a full review and there is plenty of info available in this "forum".
1. Interface - Sure its not as snappy or flashy as say an IPhone but it works and it makes since...it could be better, but the same could be said for most interfaces.
2. Software - Ovi is a little short on Apps at the moment but, it is not the only source for apps. The are tons of apps available online, just do a search and you will find them. Plus a fair share of the Java apps actually work good on this phone.
3. Camera - It works...not the best camera on a phone but a good one. If you don't carry a camera with you all the time this camera will suffice.
4. Music Player - It's pretty good. Plays every song I upload to the phone. Sound quality through my Sony earbuds it great although the max volume could be a little louder. With a name like XpressMusic, it has to be good. Radio is excellent.
5. GPS - I normally use Google Maps, but the Ovi Maps app is descent. The GPS lock fairly quickly most of the time and once locked it usually keeps the lock.
6. Messaging - This would be one of my few gripes. The included messaging apps are just OK. SMS works but it should be threaded. Email works OK but when you have multiple accounts it has to connect individually to each of them. Nokia @ Email app (not included) works much better but does not send notifications to the interface, only a ring notification.
7. Phone - It works and requires little thinking...the ways its supposed to be. Great job!
8. Input - The QWERTY keyboard is pretty descent, it is nicely sized and is fairly comfortable to use given the somewhat small display (for touch screen). I rarely use the other options unless I am forced to (i.e. in Ovi Maps you can use any method expect QWERTY), the keypad works has good has a physical keypad and the mini QWERTY works well with the stylus. The handwrighting method is a novelty for me and I rarly ever use it.
9. Internet - The 3G connections is quite snappy and wifi works pretty well. The included browser is pretty good, although it could be a little more intuitive. I have tried the Opera browser on this phone, it works pretty well, the speed of the browser is amazing and the pages render pretty good...but the touch controls are small and sometime link do not respond the first (or second) time.
10. Build - this phone is quite solid for being made of plastic. This past weekend I managed to drop it for the first and second (hopefully the last) time and both time it took it in strides and show only the slightest signs of a fall. The guy who sat on his phone should not be allowed to use this phone...he needs a phone made of stainless steel. The overall layout is wonderful...I love it.
The Nokia 5800 = big bang for little bucks!!!
just bought the phone today..very nice...
problem and a question: whenever i try to browse the internet (already connected through wifi) an error appears: "no gateway response"...what seems tobe the problem and how can i fix it?????
thank you =)
webbo, 31 Aug 2009hi,
had the nokia 5800 about 4 weeks, not had any issues with it untill yesterday! had the ha... moreDUDE come on you sit on your phone and then you blame nokia? idk what to say. Im speachless.
Got it a wk ago. US ver. Black, with black stripe.
-Well built, no cracking noise. I had an N95 8GB US before & the slider was loose after a wk, the back had a cracking noise b/c there is a gap between the battery door & the battery.
-Size, narrow, display uses almost all the avail. surface. Easier to carry than the large flat iphone.
-Display. One of the best. I like the 16:9. 16mill colors might too much but sure looks great.
-Controls work well, sleep slider is a good idea.
-Touch ctrl is good, don't have problems w/it, responsive & quick, the stylus is great but it works fine w/ fingers too. Although I can understand if in the US some has more probs w/it than ppl in EU or in Asia :).
-Camera is good, I do photograqphy so if I want a quality photo I use a DSLR but to snap a quick shot this is just fine.
-Wifi works well, no lagging I tried at home, at a hotel, at a coffee place & no issues, unlike the N95 which had a lot.
-Battery is good. Surprisingly used it for 2.5 days w/ moderate use of wifi, gps, camera, video, music & phone of course. N95 worked for 1 day w/ the same or less usage.
-Affordable 279 USD + free s&h for an unlocked phone is better than 2yrs contract & stripped features from a carrier.
-Fat, if it would be 2/3 of what it is now it would be awesome.
-No lens cover
-Applications are still hard to find, much less than iphone has, also no Office application installed.
-Home screen should have a menu option between the dialer & contacts. Only 4 shortcuts on home scr.
-Could be a little louder
-No stand in the box.
-8GB is pretty good, however nowadays they could throw a 16GB in it.
Overall it's a great phone with gps, wifi, 3G in the US and lots of features in a small body at an affordable price.
had the nokia 5800 about 4 weeks, not had any issues with it untill yesterday! had the handset in my back pocket for a journey in the car! when i got to my destination i took out the handset and the bloomin screen had a big dirty crack right across the middle! has anyone else had any issues with this happening??? and before any funny comments come up, im not a 25 stone sumo wrestler! its gone to nokia care and is going to cost £65 for a new screen! not really happy but what do you do??? i have always had handsets in my back pocket and this is the first time a screen has broken! is this common or am i unlucky?? cheers
michael, 31 Aug 2009I have just got my Nokia 5800 today. Upon careful checking, there is a small card saying "Re... moreYou must have bay Nokla then, but not real Nokia, otherwise you lie, because nokia will not make specific phone just for nutty-boy like you.
michael, 31 Aug 2009I have just got my Nokia 5800 today. Upon careful checking, there is a small card saying
"Re... moreWell, mine 5800 is brought couple of months ago and supports tv out and i use it on daily basis. Nokia are trying something :S
And bout corupted files problem
GUYS DONT USE MICRO SD CARD THAT COMES WITH THE PACKAGE BUY NEW ONE. MAJORITY OF THEM ARE CORUPTED
I have just got my Nokia 5800 today. Upon careful checking, there is a small card saying
"Regretfully, this device does not suppport the TV-out mode.
Even though TV-out mode may be mentioned in the user guide, package, or other material, this device does not support TV-out mode. Please ignore any setting options related to TV-out mode in this device.
We apologize for any inconvenience. "
I felt so cheated. There is no mention about this outside the box or by the sales person!!! Nokia doesn't seems to be interested to inform others about this. Am I buying a defective unit???!!?!?!
Either Nokia practices very bad PR or they dump defective units out to the market!!
Eblen, 31 Aug 2009People, please help me, I have a question about this phone, I live in Mexico and the oficial p... moreYes there is a ALL BLACK version of NOKIA 5800XM. I am having it. Its slightly expensive than the Red/Blue versions. The price difference is not that huge.
Irfan KK, 31 Aug 2009I had the same problem.but now 100% solved. 1-Connect your phone to computer in mass storage ... morethanks for the solution. i'll try it when i get my 5800 from nokia center. but can i ask? this solution is only temporary, right? i still need to go to my computer every time my unit corrupt or erase my files? if this is the case, i still can't use it as it intended to be. thank again
Anonymous, 24 Aug 2009Hi Vern!
In new 5800 sales packages, there is not anymore extra stylus, stand and pouch....... moreHi there
I did check with the service provider, MTN and they indicated that Nokia will send the pouch and stylus if asked. They also did indicate that the pounch and extra stylus was taken out because Nokia SA did not get it from overseas.
The reason I want the stand is to watch some youtube on my phone instead of holding it the entire time. The total package for the 5800 is still good but the Nokia.com site indicated that the pouch and stylus are STILL included.
Eblen, 31 Aug 2009People, please help me, I have a question about this phone, I live in Mexico and the oficial p... moreif i were you i would stay away from that. No such versions of the 5800 exist. The only close ones are the 5800 navigation edition and the watered down version 5230 and ALL the 5800 XpressMusic phones that i know of have the blue or red stripes on the side. It may be a chinese rip-off so keep your hard earned money mate. try
checking e-bay u might have better luck there! just make sure u check on the feedback page of the sellers!