I currently have (and am still using) the Nokia 5300, and I'm shopping for a possible replacement. I'm currently looking at these 3: Nokia N97, Nokia 5800 Xpress-Music, and the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 (my first cellphone was a "Ericsson GA 628" (this one: http://www.gsmarena.com/ericss..._628-105.php ), and I really have no problem going back to [Sony] Ericsson cellphones, if really it turns out that the best of the 3 I'm currently looking at, is the XPERIA X1.
Yes, I know, "there's a new model of XPERIA coming out", "the Nokia N97's got 32GB of memory", and "the Nokia 5800 Xpress-Music came out before the N97, so, supposedly -- at least in gsmarena.com -- SOME (not all) of the kinks of the Symbian OS for touch-screen cellphones, have been worked out".
But I'm really looking for a cellphone that's:
3. has durable battery life (I'm not big on having Bluetooth on 24-7, or always browsing the Internet, or any of those battery-draining activities. I use them when I'm in the mood and/or "urgent need" to use them, but otherwise, I just leave them off. Period.),
4. you can easily organize and manage your contacts
(in the 2 Nokia cellphones I've had so far -- the 5300 Xpress-Music and the 'Nokia 8210', this one> http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_8210-19.php -- I've always liked how I can very easily organize multiple phone-numbers, e-mail addresses, website addresses, street addresses, birthdays, nicknames, etc etc, and other things, into one contact, and all that information would just appear under ONE name, instead of HAVING EACH-PIECE of contact information appear "SEPARATELY" and/or like a "separate contact", like my Motorola V220 did; it made the darn address-book be WAY MORE CLUTTERED, and i DESPISED that!!)
5. Bluetooth, integrated camera, 3G, not 'complicated' to learn (and/or "too hard a learning-curve, that makes the cellphone just not be worth the hassle of learning how to use it" -- yes, I always read the manual on my cellphone though, by the way)
6. The Bluetooth capabilities DEFINITELY DO need to have the ability to transfer files from cellphone to cellphone (not just sending files, but also RECEIVING files), including (but not limited to): MP3 files (for ringtones, listening to music, etc), photos, video-clips, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. (Ahh, the magic of having Bluetooth on my Nokia 5300, especially when before that my cell-phone was the Motorola V220).
7. durable. "good quality" construction. "solid"-feeling. (i don't harass and/or "brutalize" my cellphone -- I do try to take good care of my things -- but I don't like for my cellphone to feel as if it was a 1-milimeter-thick piece of glass that could break at the slightest touch).
Any recommendations on which of these 3 cellphones to get? ie. Nokia 5800 Xpress-Music, Nokia N97, Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1?
(overall, in general, which is the best option??
and, then again: which is the best option, for ME???)
I also forgot to mention: Quad-Band [GSM] is a COMPLETE, DEFINITE, AND UNQUESTIONABLE MUST!!
by the way, I'm going to be using the new cellphone (whichever I am recommended to get) on AT&T [in the States], "prepay" as opposed to "contract". And, I'm going to make sure that I buy the darn cellphone UNLOCKED (like maybe from Amazon.com or some other place where I can find the cellphone chosen, unlocked).
Good call-quality, good cellphone-reception, I can hear the person on the other line well, the person on the other line can hear ME well (and also, "loud and clear", obviously).
Another thing I noticed: Look at Episode 12 (ie. "Knight To King's Pawn") of the new "Knight Rider " tv-show. Sarah Graiman, in the beginning of the episode, when she hangs up on Michael Knight's phone-call, she's using an XPERIA!!! (this IS NOT affecting my decision to buy one though, by the way)
viperkid, 28 Jul 2009"All those persons saying that the V30 is already out just want to grab attention, misinformed... morever 30.0.011 is confirmed available for 5800. No one is lieing about it. It is not available through nokia software updater right now instead the update has to be directly done on the handset using FOTA. Press *#0000# from the "dialer" and from the "options" menu select "Check for updates" proceed from there onwards as prompted.
Hai 5800XM users, ur handset already get their V30.
There is a change log and more more so rock ur 5800XM.
For more info go to symbianworld.org
Nokia always rockzzz.
viperkid, 28 Jul 2009"All those persons saying that the V30 is already out just want to grab attention, misinformed... moreKid, you can't help your self, but if you can't update your hone over the air, than turn few pahes back is the link where you can download the firmware in to your coputer amd then update any nokia 5800xm.
Wow the camera is enhanced in night mode 100%, well dun nokia.
I love this nokia, now is over with camera problem on this firmware v30!
BIL, 27 Jul 2009can anyone tell me that that what about the new firmware which the nokia is going to lanch new... moreif u live and bought ur N5800XM in Manila, bring ur phone to Nokia Care Alimall or Greenhills and they will update ur phone's firmware to V30 for free (if u still hav ur warranty). u may also try FOTA (firmware over the air), press *#0000# on d dialer and press "options" then "check for updates" and answer the ff prompts on ur screen. be sure to fully backup ur phone's internal and microSDHC first before proceeding. ok? u should have ample battery left (at least 80%) and a reliable high speed internet connection (3.5G or available wi-fi access with high speed connection too) before u begin
also, connect ur phone to ur PC via USB and choose "mass storage" or "data transfer" or "media player" and browse "nokia phone browser" on ur PC's "My Computer" and copy all ur device's internal memory (dat is how nokia instructs us to backup our preloaded contents' license keys). license keys r needed so preloaded videos and songs will still work after updating whether via NSU at home or FOTA. hope ds helps.
for V30 unofficial change log (changes/improvements) click here:
some people r just not that UPDATED when it comes to latest available firmware. i guess by now u know who provides REAL and TRUE information here. =)
KceeGee, 27 Jul 2009The 5800 Black Edition's only difference from the Normail 5800 is the COLOR or just physical. ... more"All those persons saying that the V30 is already out just want to grab attention, misinformed or just a plain liar"
i just wanna help =( gee..
Anonymous, 01 Jan 1970obviously im not =) if u bought ur N5800XM in Manila, update urs now mr/ms rude to V30 (i think its d other way around..)
Samarth, 27 Jul 2009Hey All,
I want to install free software for Ms Office in my 5800 ....any recommendations/l... moreThere are 2 softwares for microsoft Office files (.doc, .xls, .ppt...)
1- Quick Office .
2- Office Suite
But sorry , both aren't free.
I think Quick Office is built in in your 5800 , isn't it ?
texas, 27 Jul 2009Ive had mine for about a month, and so far im in love . The only thing im having trouble with ... moremark all the sms and then delete it
feko, 27 Jul 2009can anyone help me, I have 2 messages in the sent item can't delete. always a message said alr... moretry deleting in oofline mode if still issue do master reset
steps menu-settings-phn-phn mgmt-factory setting
default password 12345
not much difference with the new s/w
can anyone pls tell me the +ves and -ves of the new s/w in brief
New Firmware Version is available now.
Here all information:
hey i bought nokia 5800 in United States is it going to work in Mexico.All the stuff of 3g and nokia maps?. Im from Mexico. Thanks
nokia 5800 is a verry bad mobile i hate it verry verry much i want to give a complain abount it.it is toooooo slow mobile so plz my dear friends never buy this mobile plz plz
can anyone tell me is it better to buy this phone which made in china under the authority of nokia finland with nokia care warranty or to buy one which is made in hungary but with Mobile ZOne warranty?? plz replyy thanxx
I ve bought this phone.This is great but the problem is that web browser plays only Youtube videos but videos on other web sites it does'nt play. The frame in which video plays is black and written f9 means Flash 9 .Does any body get the same problem and what is its solution I ve Firm version 21. Did V30 resolved this????
PT, 27 Jul 2009Negatives: 1. some applications just crash, like messaging (I'm writing a new nessage, and i... moreHey, can you tell me how to use this as Webcam using AUX jack??
It feels as though there is a general improvement in the stability in the phone with ver. 30.
Other improvements seem to be:
1. Response time for apps and the menu system is better
2. Sensitivity of the touchscreen feels improved
3. The scrolling smoothness has improved
4. Also, note that when tap and holding a menu item, then dragging up or down almost to the edge of the screen results in a smooth but speedy scroll action. Don't believe it was as good or even usable before
5. Loading and unloading of themes seem to be much faster
6. Heavier use of shading when overlapping of menus or 'windows'
Basically just speed and usability improvements. Can't see much else, though I'm aure there is lots under the hood.
1. some applications just crash, like messaging (I'm writing a new nessage, and i try to input a symbol, and suddenly, the message is just gone)
2. it fell down once (just 1 feet) on the ground, and the screen started to flicker. flickering would go once i locked the screen using the side slider, and then came back up after some time. Nokia care is great though... they replaced the entire screen free of cost, as it was in warranty.
3. Microsoft office not available for free.
1. GPS works gr8.
2. Music apps work gr8.
3. Video quality is gr8.
4. Because of the AUX jack, it can be connected to almost any device... TV, car stereo (i answer my phone calls like that), comp (and use it as a web cam).
Log in I forgot my password Sign up