nokia 6230 is a very reliable phone with a good battery and great performance
To Original Jamaican: Thanx for ur help. I tried 512 mb MMC memory card of kingston and it works cool. Now i dnt need my mp3 player. Only 1 thing i want next is that a good headphone or earphone which gives good sound n stereo sound. I am using HDS-3 earphone. Its sound is very good. I want to ask u is that is there any other type which is better than this one. OR a bluetooth device which i can hear in both ear not only in 1 ear. Plz tell.
i would like if someone will be able to give more info about itunes..
i never had this handset but is about to purchase it cuz i think it is a very good phone. in fact all nokias..
well i would say without doubt the nokia 6230 is the worlds best phone ,it has everthin u want camera, video, mp3, extendable memory ,bluetooth, infrared ,radio etc .
i will recommend anyone 2 buy the 6230 without hesitation .thanks a lot for NOKIA 4 producin a phone like this
Hi all, I want to ask can I use itunes AAC (.m4A) on nokia 6230? Thanks.
10x O_J :))
i want to ask something else. are pictures taken with 1.3mp camera better than vga one's? is it true that in the dark (when u don't have flash) vga is much better?
To original jamaican: Thanx for ur help. Ur help was really helpful. Is that true that the phone wil get damaged if we change the firmware from 5.50 to 5.24 ?
To Original_Jamaican.. Thanks a lot for clarification regarding upgrade. Will see u again after upgrading done. However as I said earlier my 6230 is made in CHINA and Iam using it for last 2years without any problems at all. Its supereb..
To 6230 FANS: Guess what, I had 5.50 on my phone and then went back to 5.24 and my phone is working just like new. I did all this last year summer. I'm NOT saying what the technician told you isn't true but it certainly hasn't affect my phone.
I'm glad I could help you solve the Caller Group problem. Ask for my assistance anytime.
i have sonething to tell u all..if u currently firmware version let say is V.5.50 then if u flash it to V.5.24, ur phone will get damaged. in other words, u can only flash ur phone for the same firmware or higher version but not the same version. the damaged tht i say is something will happen on ur circuit board..which may harm ur phone..the technician told me during i flash my phone..hope u all understand wat i mean..thanks!!by the way, really thanks to original jamaican tht help me solve the problem of caller group..thanks a lot!!cheers!
GSM Arena messed up the formatting I used so here's another attempt to make my chart clearer for you readers.
Differences between both phones:
6230 - 6230i
Standard Menu -3D Menu
7MB internal memory -32MB internal memory
Standard Radio -Visual Radio
Mp3/AAC support -Mp3/AAC/M4a support
24 Polyphonic -64 Polyphonic
3 minute voice memo -1 hour voice memo
Java MIDP 2.0(J2ME) -3D Java
100KB MMS attachment -300KB MMS attachment
Standard Bluetooth -Bluetooth Printing
VGA camera -1.3 Megapixel camera
sub-QCIF video rec. -QCIF video rec.
4 minute video rec. -1 hour video rec.
Thanks for the special greeting (smile).
Well, the 6230 is hard to top by any means. Think about it. It's almost 3 years since the 6230 was released (April 2004). It dominated the market easily. It's just today that other brands are catching up. It has everything and some features many people don't use, don't need or will never need BUT I always say, it's best to have more features than less.
Every other phone including the '6230i' can only expand on the features that the 6230 has...they CAN'T add anything more significant than what 6230 has. In this world there are 2 types of audio and visual devices, Camera and video camera, Radio and Music Player. The 6230 has it all so other phones can only expand on these features by incorporating higher specs. into their audio and visual areas.
The 6230i has the same features as the original but expands on some. Both phones have the same amount of colours (65,536)
Difference between phones:
Standard Menu 3D Menu
7MB internal memory 32MB internal memory
Standard Radio Visual Radio
Mp3/AAC support Mp3/AAC/M4a support
24 Polyphonic 64 Polyphonic
3 minute voice memo 1 hour voice memo
Java MIDP 2.0(J2ME) 3D Java
100KB MMS attachment 300KB MMS attachment
Standard Bluetooth Bluetooth Printing
VGA camera 1.3 Megapixel camera
sub-QCIF video rec. QCIF video rec.
4 minute video rec. 1 hour video rec.
As you can all see, some of the features have been revved up but there are still some drawbacks. The phone weighs 2 grams more, options for replying to a message are gone, eg. Reply to sender saying "Yes", "No" etc., The overall phone is slower. The higer resolution screen drains the battery faster. It is said that the sound is NOT as loud as the original 6230. Selecting ring volume level 4 or 5 causes the phone ring in an ascending format (low at first then gradually gets higher). The music player has less functionality eg. In original 6230 while the music player is shown on screen, pressing navigation keys left, right would pause and unpause a song. The T9 dictionary according to GSM-Arena is now different and not as effective as the original 6230's. Those are the disadvantages I know of, there may be more.
When it comes to deciding which phone to buy it all boils down to what you want to do with the phone BUT for me the Nokia 6230 will always be the best cellular phone.
To: Original_Jamaican THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
I'm going to buy that phone even if it's made in China.
Thank you again Original_Jamaican
to original jamaican
im buying a new 6230 soon il get it this month hopefully but i the MMC that iv got in my 6230i doesnt work...il try get MEMORY CARD READER if that doesnt format it then il buy a new MMC from 1 of the brands you have recommended in that list..il try get SANDISK bcoz they work fine.and there well known
Sorry to hear about the raw deal. Maybe the person realised that they would end up missing their beloved 6230. I hope you get one soon. I'm sure you will see that it lives up to the hype.
The easiest way to fix the formatting problem is to get a Memory Card Reader to format the MMC. Format it using FAT and NOT FAT 32. If you don't have a Card Reader OR aren't able to get access to one then try taking out the battery, Sim and Memory Card and leave them out of the phone for a long period and see if that helps. Sometimes that tip fixs problems.
So far I have come across four MMC brands which worked flawlessly
1. A-Data My Flash
There are others which is said to work like a charm. You just have to test other brands and see for yourself. I have pointed out the ones which I KNOW works.
My 6230 WASN'T made in China but I came across someone who had one which was manufactured in China. The phone was ok. The person didn't have any complaints other than their 256MB memory card showing as only 80MB...which as I explained previously in this forum, is due to a memory count flaw in older firmwares. That person's phone had version 4.40.
After upgrading from 4.43, the changes you will find in 5.24 onwards is:
1. The Music Player can read simultaneously from the internal memory and memory card whether or not the MP3s are in the root folder or the MMC or subfolders.
2. Different options when you highlight a file and select options. One of the best options is being able to create a folder anywhere in the gallery (even on the MMC) after you begin the moving process for a file.
3. When the phone is locked you can press several keys to turn on the light for 2 seconds which comes in handy for me. Sometimes at night you might want to check the time but you don't want the phone light to stay on too long (as that drains the battery). With the phone being locked, if you press the 'End' or 'Unlock' key, the screen will light up and then fades out after 2 seconds. Very handy for checking the time quickly in the dark...for me at least. When I was using firmware 4.40 I had to press the power button to get the light on as NO other key seemed to turn it one ONCE the phone was locked. Using the power button makes the light stay on for 15 secs (and you can't get the light turned off in less a time) with 4.40...and it still does with 5.24 or later BUT at least more keys are able to light up the phone.
4. BETTER quality from the camera and it loads up the camera more quickly.
5. Faster responses throughout the whole phone.
6. The screen is more enhanced, more clarity when viewing photos & graphics...example when you turn the phone on the 'shaking hands' are more detailed and clearer compared to the dull look of the hands in firmwares lower than 5.24.
7. The audio icons look different. The colour is changed from yellow to white now and they are a bit smaller and has a neater look.
8. The text in the notepad is larger which I prefer (accessible by going to Organizer - Notes).
9. When you go to Clock settings the seconds are shown alongside with the time. I love that because you are able to set the time more accurately.
10. File size reported for files are more accurate. For example I had a 1.9mb AAC file which was reported as 2.0 in firmwares lower than 5.24.
There are more enhancements but I included the top 10. To find all the enhancements you just have to dig deep and find them on your own.
The ONLY downgrade is that after taking or viewing an image the middle key now says 'Send' opposed to 'Zoom'. In order to zoom you have to select options and then select Zoom which is first on the options list. Regardless I don't consider it a major disadvantage so I can live with that. The improvements greatly outnumber whatever disadvantage you or anybody else may come across. I hope you will make the plunge and upgrade. Believe me, you will enjoy the phone even more. Let me know how things work out. Take care.