Sorry to hear about the raw deal. Maybe the person realised that they would end up missing their beloved 6230. I hope you get one soon. I'm sure you will see that it lives up to the hype.
The easiest way to fix the formatting problem is to get a Memory Card Reader to format the MMC. Format it using FAT and NOT FAT 32. If you don't have a Card Reader OR aren't able to get access to one then try taking out the battery, Sim and Memory Card and leave them out of the phone for a long period and see if that helps. Sometimes that tip fixs problems.
So far I have come across four MMC brands which worked flawlessly
1. A-Data My Flash
There are others which is said to work like a charm. You just have to test other brands and see for yourself. I have pointed out the ones which I KNOW works.
My 6230 WASN'T made in China but I came across someone who had one which was manufactured in China. The phone was ok. The person didn't have any complaints other than their 256MB memory card showing as only 80MB...which as I explained previously in this forum, is due to a memory count flaw in older firmwares. That person's phone had version 4.40.
After upgrading from 4.43, the changes you will find in 5.24 onwards is:
1. The Music Player can read simultaneously from the internal memory and memory card whether or not the MP3s are in the root folder or the MMC or subfolders.
2. Different options when you highlight a file and select options. One of the best options is being able to create a folder anywhere in the gallery (even on the MMC) after you begin the moving process for a file.
3. When the phone is locked you can press several keys to turn on the light for 2 seconds which comes in handy for me. Sometimes at night you might want to check the time but you don't want the phone light to stay on too long (as that drains the battery). With the phone being locked, if you press the 'End' or 'Unlock' key, the screen will light up and then fades out after 2 seconds. Very handy for checking the time quickly in the dark...for me at least. When I was using firmware 4.40 I had to press the power button to get the light on as NO other key seemed to turn it one ONCE the phone was locked. Using the power button makes the light stay on for 15 secs (and you can't get the light turned off in less a time) with 4.40...and it still does with 5.24 or later BUT at least more keys are able to light up the phone.
4. BETTER quality from the camera and it loads up the camera more quickly.
5. Faster responses throughout the whole phone.
6. The screen is more enhanced, more clarity when viewing photos & graphics...example when you turn the phone on the 'shaking hands' are more detailed and clearer compared to the dull look of the hands in firmwares lower than 5.24.
7. The audio icons look different. The colour is changed from yellow to white now and they are a bit smaller and has a neater look.
8. The text in the notepad is larger which I prefer (accessible by going to Organizer - Notes).
9. When you go to Clock settings the seconds are shown alongside with the time. I love that because you are able to set the time more accurately.
10. File size reported for files are more accurate. For example I had a 1.9mb AAC file which was reported as 2.0 in firmwares lower than 5.24.
There are more enhancements but I included the top 10. To find all the enhancements you just have to dig deep and find them on your own.
The ONLY downgrade is that after taking or viewing an image the middle key now says 'Send' opposed to 'Zoom'. In order to zoom you have to select options and then select Zoom which is first on the options list. Regardless I don't consider it a major disadvantage so I can live with that. The improvements greatly outnumber whatever disadvantage you or anybody else may come across. I hope you will make the plunge and upgrade. Believe me, you will enjoy the phone even more. Let me know how things work out. Take care.
To original jamaican
that deal of mine 6233 for 6230 fell threw never happend ..the guy pulled....i hope to get 6230 sooon....btw i have a 1GB MMC brand is Kingston in my 6230i..had it for 1 year...and 1 day my 6230i was on charge ..i went to the memory card and it said it needed "formatting" i tried to format and it didnt.it said "operation failed" iv tried it many times didnt format it...i dont know wats wrong with it...but i will buy a new 1GB MMC .which brand do you recommend..???
are 6230"s made in Germany bcoz my 6230i is..???.....anyones 6230 made in Germany...or is that only new Nokia"s ???
6230 is better than 6230i...6230i has only 3 differences said below by nagila....i would rather have 6230..much better phone...
in addition of 6230 or 6230i
camera vga or 1.3mp
sounds 24 or 64 chanels
display 128x128 or 208x208
hi guys. hi O_J. i have 6230 v4.28 :).
i can have 6230i. what do u think. isn't it better?
To Simbad: My 6230 is made in Hungary. I have seen 6230 that are made in Finnland as well. Hope chinese have done their job as good as their hungarian colleagues have, because my cellular is simply FLAWLESS :)
To SUDIN: If you have to pay to get it changed from 5.50 to 5.24 then don't bother BUT if you can get it done freely then by all means go ahead with it for two main reason...it makes the phone faster overall and it utilises the camera better, making the quality of the photos taken looking better. There are other things I prefer with 5.24 but those are the two worth mentioning.
In regards to the playlist, I don't know what you are doing wrong but if you want a clear and straight-forward method of creating a playlist, check www.mobymemory.com. Click on the 6230 phone and you will find it in a document which you can download. It's a PDF document so you will need Adobe Acrobat to read it.
Finally, the MMC compatibility is probably one of the most discussed topics with this phone. It is said that some brands will work but not all the capacity from that particular brand will. For example, it is said that Kingston 256MB works yet Kingston 512MB doesn't work. Well, maybe that was then because recently I purchased a Kingston 512MB and it worked fine. I also tried A-Data My Flash 512MB and it worked fine as well. The Supertalent brand works fine. A friend of mine has a Supertalent 256MB and it works fine. I'm currently using a Transcend 1GB and it works fine. Those are all the brands I have seen in action and they all worked fine. My suggestion to you is if you recently purchased the 512MB from a store then return it and try another brand. If it's a different case then you are out of luck. Hope things work out for you soon. Take care.
To Original_Jamaican.. thanks for the clarification. I need one more suggetion from you. Can you tell me what are the advantages after upgarading the version from current version on 6230.
Hy, I found a nokia 6230 made in China.
The question is: how good it is, does anybody has a 6230 made in China(the one I saw it was grey)
Hi thanx to all for helping me with some of the problems i have got with this phone. I think i hav accidently upgraded my phone firmware. When i checked it was 5.50 now. What u guys say should i stick with it or should i put the 5.24 version. Which 1 would b nice. N how to make playlist in this phone. I tried n succeeded but when i tried to put multi playlists with different songs n with some same songs it said should i replace the previous song in other playlist. Does that mean that one particular song plays with only 1 playlist or it plays with multi playlists? Another problem i got is that i put 512 mmc card but the phone says that the card is not formatted, please format. When i try to format the phone says operation failed n doesnt work. There is not problem with the card as it works in the pc with card reader. What happened ? Is there various kinds of mmc cards? Please help.
To KENZO: As your phone is now, with v4.43, you can use a 1GB memory card but you wouldn't see the correct storage capacity due to a memory count flaw in that particular firmware. I wouldn't even say it's a flaw of such because originally the phone was said to accomodate up to ONLY 128MB MMC.
Overtime Nokia decided to give the consumers a break and released firmwares which supported higher capacity. When v4.43 was released, I don't think the 1GB memory capacity was in Nokia's mind but surprisingly v4.43 is able to recognise a 1GB MMC. When you check the memory size, you will see something like 80MB but ignore that because you can store stuff on the card going over that 80MB all the way up to 1GB. You just WON'T know how much capacity is really being used.
If you want to bypass that flaw and get the right statistics then you need to upgrade to at least v5.24 (which I find to be the best of all firmwares).
Using my 1GB memory card with my 5.24, the phone tells me that the total capacity is 991.2MB (which is normal due to file system etc.)
So the bottomline is YES a 1GB Memory Card will work with your 6230 BUT it won't register the correct memory size. Take care.
To 6230 FANS: Quote - "There are more enhancements but I included the top 10. To find all the enhancements you just have to dig deep and find them"...those were my words to another opinionist, in regards to the 6230 v5.24 firmware. The enhancements are simply too much to list. Also, I did say the v5.24 makes the phone faster overall.
Now, to assist you with your problem...
1. The Caller Group problem you are having happened to me too after I got mine flashed with v5.24. There's a SIMPLE way to fix it...just do a factory reset and it will be all right. You don't even need to restart the phone right after the factory reset.
2. The DKU-5 cable provides NO additional features. The only difference is that the cable will perform tasks more quickly than bluetooth. In otherwords, the DKU-5 cable will transfer data more quickly to and from the phone compared to bluetooth according to my knowledge.
3. There's ABSOLUTELY NO OPTION in the phone to create a M3U Playlist. To create a playlist you will have to use the Nokia PC Suite and open the Nokia Audio Manager. You may see it as 'Transfer Music' in your Nokia PC Suite depending on the version you have. While you are running the Nokia Audio Manager program, if you still aren't clear on how to create the playlist just let me know and I will give you a step-by-step tutorial. Take care and I hope I was able to be of assistance.
when I got nokia 6230,I thougth it was one those phone.B ut when I got to really understand it,I had no need for any other phone.Its one of it kind.I LOVE IT
Although many phones has come in to the market, still , i like 6230, becozzz its very handy and has all thats really needed. The most good one is its MP3 player, its really really fantastic. Though the sound loudness is a bit low, we can enjoy crystal clear sound.
I have few doubts can anyone plzz, clear, I would like to go for AD-15 nokia audio adapter, can any one plzz suggest, how far its worthful to purchase it. I would also like to take a headset can anyone suggest which among HDS-3,HS-3,HS-6,HS-8 is best.
Thanks in advance.. Please anyone help me in choosing best one.