I am very pleased with my over two years old Nokia 6230. My question about this phone is whether someone has faulty battery like mine? My battery gets too hot to touch while being charged with ACP-12E. I tried to charge it with ACP-7E and it didn't get so hot. I have already a new battery and now everething seems OK. It's a pity that the original battery lasts for so short time, but I must consider the fact that a friend of mine had his battery replaced in only 1 year on his SE K700i.
Can anyone help me, where can i upgrade my firmware??
To SUDIN: The phone's firmware is the operating system for the phone. Just like how Windows is the operating system for a computer. Whenever you change an operating system you get different features and in some cases faster responses.
You can check your firmware by typing *#0000# in standby mode.
I will use my firmware data as an example as to what you will see:
v 05.24 -> This is the firmware of your phone
25-11-04 -> Date the firmware was released
There's more information below all that which you will see if you press the key but you need not worry about that, that information is for the smaller brother Nokia 6230b deigned to work in the U.S.
Nokia 6230 firmware started at 3.15 as far as I know (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) and it's now up to 5.50. I have tried quite a few including 5.50 but I'm most satisfied with 5.24. 5.24 was the first major upgrade and to me it's still the best. Even though 5.50 is the latest 5.24 has two things over it, in my opinion, speed and better clarity from the camera.
The changes you will find in 5.24 onwards is:
1. The Music Player can read simultaneously from the internal memory and memory card whether or not the MP3s are in the root folder or the MMC or subfolders.
2. Different options when you highlight a file and select options. One of the best options is being able to create a folder anywhere in the gallery (even on the MMC) after you begin the moving process for a file.
3. When the phone is locked you can press several keys to turn on the light for 2 seconds which comes in handy for me. Sometimes at night you might want to check the time but you don't want the phone light to stay on too long (as that drains the battery). With the phone being locked, if you press the 'End' or 'Unlock' key, the screen will light up and then fades out after 2 seconds. Very handy for checking the time quickly in the dark...for me at least. When I was using firmware 4.40 I had to press the power button to get the light on as NO other key seemed to turn it one ONCE the phone was locked. Using the power button makes the light stay on for 15 secs (and you can't get the light turned off in less a time) with 4.40...and it still does with 5.24 or later BUT at least more keys are able to light up the phone.
4. BETTER quality from the camera and it loads up the camera more quickly.
5. Faster responses throughout the whole phone.
6. The screen is more enhanced, more clarity when viewing photos & graphics...example when you turn the phone on the 'shaking hands' are more detailed and clearer compared to the dull look of the hands in firmwares lower than 5.24.
7. The audio icons look different. The colour is changed from yellow to white now and they are a bit smaller and has a neater look.
8. The text in the notepad is larger which I prefer (acessible by going to Organizer - Notes).
9. When you go to Clock settings the seconds are shown alongside with the time. I love that because you are able to set the time more accurately.
10. File size reported for files are more accurate. For example I had a 1.9mb AAC file which was reported as 2.0 in firmwares lower than 5.24.
There are more enhancements but I included the top 10. To find all the enhancements you just have to dig deep and find them on your own.
The ONLY downgrade is that after taking or viewing an image the middle key now says 'Send' opposed to 'Zoom'. In order to zoom you have to select options and then select Zoom which is first on the options list. Regardless I don't consider it a major disadvantage so I can live with that. The improvements greatly outnumber whatever disadvantage you or anybody else may come across.
Finally, once you UPGRADE (flash) you will lose EVERYTHING you had previously so BACKUP your phone before FLASHING it.
Take your phone to a NOKIA CENTRE or anywhere that flashes phone. If your phone is under warranty you will get a free upgrade from a Nokia Centre otherwise you will have to pay a small fee. Other places may charge more than a Nokia Centre so consult a Nokia Centre first if there's one in your area. I hope my post helps.
Hi, I have the 6230 and i am very happy with it. I have only one problem. I would like to use the automatic sync function from Nokia PC Suite but after the first sync the phone is waiting for pressing OK. So the phone is not in idle state until I pressed the button to confirm the synchronisation. This means that the next auto sync fails because the phone is not in idle state. Does someone have a fix or workaround or is there a setting in the phone that i missed?
Yes, it supports AAC format. This phone is one of the first phones to support such audo format. Best phone in 2004!
Ya nokia 6230 supports aac audio.
This phone is the greatest phone i have ever had. Original jamaican can u help me with this phone. How do i upgrade my phone's firmware and how to know my current one. And what does happen if we upgrade it?
does this ohone supports audio aac format. pls anyone tell me
can anyone telme how 2 reset phone memory??
my sms is got stucked all 150 sms is on phone memory n my phone is nt showing it n i dint find any option to convert the sim memory 2 phone memory what can i do please reply me???
To AMY: The Nokia 6230 plays audio in stereo.
ERPAS, you NEED to BACKUP your FILES before flashing !!!!!!
There was a particular time I flashed my phone and a few photos remained in the phone memory but ALL the contacts were erased.
Normally when a phone is flashed everything is automatically deleted before the new OS is installed. Just in a few cases certain things may get left behind after a flash (in my case a few photographs)...BUT in ALL cases the CONTACTS, Text Messages, Java games/apps, user settings, Calender Notes (reminders, appointments, memo etc.), Notepad notes (from the Organiser) among MANY other things are deleted...so ERPAS you may want to think twice about NOT backing up (smile). ERPAS the beauty about our phone is that it only takes a minute or two to backup IF there's NOT too much stuff in the phone memory. Please keep in touch and let me know how things go along the way. If you want me to tell you all the things I have discovered with 5.24 I will tel you. Go ahead and get 5.24 I'm sure you will be pleased once you start using it. Take care.
and also one problem ive encountered with this version is about some video files. i hav this 3gp file transfered to my cp thru bluetooth. its only a small file ang it played fine, but recently, it suddenly fails to play. when i try to play it, the phone turns off and then on again.
another video transfer (different time/different video), and it plays fine when i opened it before saving. but when i saved it and tried to play it again, it ses file format not supported.
my phone's version is only 4.28 :(
hey, do i need to back up my files before upgrading or its ok to just get it flashed with all my files in it....flashing wont affect them, right?
Hi could anyone tell me if FM-radio and mp3 player stereo or mono??
ERPAS, you are welcome. I'm glad I could be of assistance.
You never told me what firmware your phone has though :-)
If your phone's firmware is less than 5.24 I would suggest you upgrade it to enjoy much better enhancements. As small as some of the enhancements are, I find them to be very useful.
Believe it or not 5.24 actually speeds up the overall phone's speed. I know this because I had firmware 4.43 and the very latest 5.50 and none of them compares to 5.24 in speed. In fact, 5.50 slows down the phone more than the aforementioned. Now don't get me wrong, even with 5.50 the phone is still fast, just not as fast as 5.24 in my opinion.
If you have a firmware less than 5.24 if you should upgrade to 5.24 you will notice the wonderful enhancements over time. Probably the best enhancement is the improvement of the camera. Believe me, photos look nice with 5.24...ESPECIALLY photos taken at nights in a lit room. With 5.24 photos taken in a lit room has less noise in them (grains) and they appear more detailed/sharper in comparison to firmwares below 5.24.
Flashing your phone is the BEST way to cure problems BUT one more thing MIGHT work. If you have 5.24 or later and you were satisfied with that firmware you can MAYBE fix the problems by doing a FACTORY RESET, the immediately TURN OFF the phone, then take out the BATTERY, SIM CARD and MEMORY CARD. Put them aside and leave the phone off for about 30 mins. - 60 mins. before turning the phone back on hold down the power button for 30 secs. - this is said to clear the memory. As I said, this METHOD MAY work, not a gaurantee but it's worth a try. Once again, flashing is the best answer. Just thought I would share my knowledge with you and tell you the no-cost alternative. Take care and big up.
when can i get my firmware upgraded from a Nokia repair centre
6230 can handle a MMC memory up to 1GB and 2GB but the firware has to be more than V5.35
it can handle a memory card up to 1GB maybe 2GB when it comes out
to ORIGINAL JAMAICAN:
wow man, tnx very much! i really appreciate your help. now im confident that my cp is not faulty..all i have to do is to reflash it...great help! :)
To CP: The Nokia 6230 can handle 1GB with a firmware lower than 5.35. I have 5.24 and my Transcend 1GB works fine.