The phone currently comes with 128mb memory card but can take up to 2gb I beleive (certainly 1 gb). A good quality single (no compression) takes about 3mb, so with just music, you could store about 40 songs on the card it comes with or about 340 on the 1 gb card. The cards are "hot swappable" kind of. Music is either played through the mono loudspeaker or the supplied stereo headphones.
just wondering how many tracks i could expect to be able to load on to the phone and what kind of memory space 1 track takes.
Sukhu: Edge: http://www.bsnl.in/Knowledgebase.asp?intNewsId=21021&strNewsMore=more
MP3: Try reading the 7710 phone review which is on the left of this page. Someone spent a long time writing that.
Video formats: Yes realplayer requires realplayer files. Again the review says what else it accepts.
Thanx. Im glade you said it plays movies. I tried to drag a regular video file from my pc to my phone but it dosent work on my phone. Could it be that its because its a Windows media file. When I tried to play it on my phone it says file format unknow. Does it have to be a real player file or something.
i wanted to ask another thing that does it play mpeg4 movies & can assign mp3 as a ringtone. thx allot
I cannot suggest an alternative phone in that price range as I'm in the UK, so have no idea of what you can get. I ended up looking at the Nokia 7710, 9500, SE 910i and Sharp 902. I chose this one as it has a good camera, a radio, can play movies and games, read and write Office files and many more things. It is also new and a bit flash. The 910i is recognized as an old phone now. Friend of mine had one and replaced it with a 9500 which he says is far better. I didn't get the 9500 as I wanted a decent camera and radio. If you dont need the things the 7710 has, then maybe the 9500 is a better bet, though it has a smaler screen and is huge!
Anyway, its personal choice. I love the 7710, though it is not the most reliable phone (possibly because I mess with it, its reliable when you leave it alone) and its a bit slow. I like it and people I have shown think its great and have got it.
Software wise, jad and jar files are just to do with java installations on your phone. Aside from pc suite, you need nothing loading on to either your desktop or phone to get .sis files working.
Witchking thank you. But one last question the .JAD and JAR are those softwares I should download for the phone or r u talking of the java software. Also if it is software i should d/l for the phone what does it do.
do you guys think i should get the Nokia 7710 or Sony Ericsson P910i? Which one do you recommend?
thanks witchking. what do u think should i buy this phone or any otherin the range of rs 16000 to Rs 21000 thx in advance
The phone has handwriting recognition (graffiti 2), but not speech recognition.
As for caller ID, make sure that 1. You're network has not started adding the international dialing code onto incoming calls (i.e. I dont recognise calls as they come in with +44 on sometimes). 2. Make sure you dont have more than one number of the same type for the same person (i.e. two mobile numbers) as it will not check them all, just the first it seems.
anyone having this problem?
my caller id wont show up now. its was working fine since i got it. now, when i recieve calls from my contact list, the number shows, but no names. i also set ring tones for different contacts and still nothing.
can any1 tell me that does this phone has a speech & handwriting recognization system.thx in advance .
Bokia - you need to have PC Suite installed on the pC for it to recognise a .sis file. If it doesn't or isn't then you will have to copy the .sis file across to your phone and then under the phone's file manager or app manager, install the .sis application.
No idea about java games on the phone, but I do not beleive you need a jre to run them (as I think the phone has the nesc already in its OS) You just need the .JAD and .JAR.
Oh wait sorry, I see what I did wrong. I tryed to download it directly from the phone instead of my pc. but still, are there any software that i need or should download foe this phone.
Ok, witchking. Thank you for the steps on the picodrive. I just got the phone 3 days ago. I followed the steps. When I d/l the picodrive I always find it in file manager. Then when I try to open it it says Unknow file format. As a matter of fact it says that for alot of things. Are there certain progarms I need to download before i can do certain thing. Because een java games wont work. Do I need java software to play them or something. Please please help me if you can. Help me make the mame or picodrive work.
7700 was the precursor to the 7710. It was scrapped by Nokia and the 7710 developed. There are no plans to release it (they could not get it working). There is a concept phone which looks like a possible 7710 replacement which may be released at year end, but God and Nokia knows.
No idea why I'm posting this, apart from that my flaming phone died this weekend and I had to format it to get it working again (hence I now have to re-install everything). Thought I might as well put a post on how to install Picodrive as a new version is now out with limited sound support. I may do a post for Mame when I get round to sorting it, but its fairly similar to this.
1. Go to http://picodrive.atspace.com/
2. Download: v0.4: PicodriveS80S90_0_4.sis *LATEST*
3. Connect 7710 to PC via USB link & ensure PC Suite is installed on the PC.
4. Double click on the downloaded SIS file and answer YES to “Do you want to install the application to the phone” and then OK.
5. On the phone, click “NEXT” to acknowledge no certificate (they cost too much to use).
6. Click NEXT again.
7. Select DEVICE.
8. Select OK
9. Confirm Picodrive appears on the Desktop and runs.
10. Enter Picodrive and test. While there, enable Sounds (under SETTINGS).
11. Enter File Manager and switch to the DEVICE and create a NEW FOLDER (under FILE) called PDGames (NOTE this is case sensitive and incorrect naming means you will not find your ROMS).
12. Go to http://www.emurussia.km.ru/def...sid=gen&l=en and download required ROMS.
13. Copy the ROMS (using Windows Explorer and Nokia Phone Browser) to the newly created directory.
14. Games with Sound support: Golden Axe 2, Phantasy Star The End of the Millenium, Frogger, Xenon 2
15. Note Sound Support slows games even if they have no sound, so don’t have it selected if this bothers you.
16. You START games using the GREEN call key.
17. Supported games: Animaniacs, boogerman, castlevania bloodlines, contra hard corps, earthworm jim, golden axe 2, The lion king, sonic the hedgehog 2, tiny toon adventures 777_casino, aladdin, bugs bunny in double trouble, chess, frogger, golden axe, lemmings, mega bomberman, mortal combat 5, mortal kombat 3, phantasy star the end of the millenium, the simpsons (barts nighmare), super mario world, tetris, xenon 2 megablast, zoop