i have been using the E72 for almost a month now and its is simply awesome in terms of usability and functionality. The software is more stable and the sleek feel of the form factor is superb. Highly recommended.
Zia, 17 Dec 2009hi.. firmware upgrade will take time... for most of the previous nokia phones, firware upgrade... moreThanks a ton zia!!a bit confused of investing my pocket money in e72 or d e71???wat is ur take on this????
never said e71 was superior but I have seen tons of people swear that its better than e72. my n73 still outperforms most of these new phones in many ways so NEW TeCHNOLOGY doesn' mean better and I would venture to say that for most of these people....new tech is insignificant..they just want the latest toy....how many do you think actually need PUSH e-mail. you can't put pics in folders like the e71...people have been complaining about basic stuff like setting up e-mail accounts....it should be able to at least do that OUT OF THE BOX without firmware updates. I didn't hear all this hoopla when the n79 was released or the n86. how is it that they had the prototype for this phone (e71) released it over a month after they said and it still is screwy on a basic level....NOT GOOD NOKIA. the BB 9700 has none of these basic problems. spec wise it is on par...build wise maybe better..if a BB data plan wasn't required I would buy it in a heartbeat as much as I love Nokia. the screen is brilliant..trackpad is far superior....how many of the problems will the FW fix?
Anonymous, 19 Dec 2009Spiff and Prince78...come on there are way to many o the same complaints from different people... moreThere are complains about the E72 simply for the same reason you get complains about all new Nokias - They rush things and the first firmware is usually quite lame. E71's first firmware was rather pathetic so if you compare, the E72 is a lot better and more stable.
Perfect? No way. But better than the E71? Anytime.
Just check the USB and wifi transfer speeds on both E71 and E72 units, fully encrypted (ram+card). That alone will show you that the E71 is yesterday's technology.
I'm not saying the E71 is bad. It is a good, well engineered unit. It just makes no sense to say that it is superior when overall it isn't. It just has 4 or 5 extra generations of firmware bugfixes, plus a chassis that MIGHT be slightly more solid. That's all.
When it comes to the rest, the E72 packs a lot more punch and the only reason to go for an E71 instead is if you want to same some money.
SuccessCre8or, 18 Dec 2009So?
Should I get the more expensive E72 just for a better cam and 3.5 jack ??
I think I'l... moreNot just camera and 3.5mm. OS is slightly more polished (FP2) plus you get extras like the compass, faster CPU, more RAM, optical pad and much faster wifi and USB transfer speeds.
The E71 is nice but you all face it once and for all... it is outdated and not as good. Everything in the E71 is WORSE except - perhaps - chassis build quality.
But I'd rather have all the nice, juicy 2009 features than details like "oh it does not leak 0,5mm of light out of the keyboard".
Friends, Further analysis of E72 leads to following confusions and conclusions
1) Nokia has chosen a design and looks of E63 and added metal finish to make E72 ( but its far less metalic than E71 )
2) The boot up time of E72 is 22 sec whereas E71 is about 46 sec which is far slower than E72. But here is a catch - E72 boots very fast and when you reach the home screen you can see a better looking menus which is a blessing of fp2. But the amount of free RAM which you get on hand is only 45 MB. Whereas on E71 or E63 you get about 90 MB +. So the ultimate speed when you use E72 is not better than E71 even though E72 has a 600 mhz processor.
3) The backlight leak from behind the action keys make E72 feel cheap and defective.
4) The medium or high bitrate mpeg4 videos are jerky and tend to stop at times. The presence of 600 mhz does not do any good which accessing videos. I have checked and rechecked. The same mpeg4 videos run so smoothly on 528 mhz Qualcomm and 400 mhz Intel Xscale processors. Why?????
5) Camera is a much better improvement over E71 but definitely far behind Carl Zeis optics found on N series. But it is acceptable as E72 is a business phone.
6) E72 looks good enough to draw attention of anyone but when you hold E72 and E71 together you will notice that E71 is far sturdier and have a solid metal feel to it.
7) Another drawback of E72 is its speaker which has a very low volume output. You can easily miss a call as even the vibrator is not so strong.
8) The optical trackpad used on E72 is a big plus but its make is very moderate when compared to Samsung and Sony Ericsson. You will feel the inferiority when you use the optical trackpad on Samsung i8510 or Omnia i900 or xperia X1 on Sony Ericsson. E72 has a cheaper feel.
9) fp2 software itself though is a very nice improvement. Web browsing and Menus are much improved and now Contacts on E72 show both Phone and Sim card together whereas on E71 it showed only Phone contacts and you had to locate contacts on Sim by choosing options to show sim directory.
10) Presence of 3.5 mm jack and flashlight is a welcome feature again these are features which were found E63 which created more interested buyers for E63. But the way you can very well use a 1 dollar 2.5 mm to 3.5mm adopter on E71 for standard headphones.
11) E72 costs about USD 380 to USD 450 whereas E71 today costs only USD 250 a much lower price.
Will be back soon....
Spiff and Prince78...come on there are way to many o the same complaints from different people on different sites to say that the phone has no issues just because you don't have issues. 50% of the comments are negative on several sites. Compare that to the 90%+ positive things I see about the Blackberry 9700. I am a NOKIA E72 fan on Facebook and it's the same mixed bag there..some hate it some love it. I am considering the E71..(change the theme to get rid of the ugly icons...get a 3.5 headphone adaptor..and I heard the firmware update improved the camera)
I have sold E72 Customors . reply is too good as it have an excellent sensor joystick which is very easy to operate. Headphone is Queit Good.Its Camera 5mp is too good and last its metallic body glow the design of the mobile.
Should I get the more expensive E72 just for a better cam and 3.5 jack ??
I think I'll get the less expensive E71
Ignore the criticism. There are no major issues with this phone, it is not slow or laggy and mine is full of apps, hacked with HelloOx and also using full ram+card encryption.
The only thing I agree with is that the speaker volume isn't very loud or impressive... but if you want something to hear music loud perhaps you should get a stereo instead no?
This might be Nokia's best phone ever. I've used mine extensively for over 2 weeks now and am impressed by how stable the firmware is. Not a buggy, sorry piece of code as most 1st gen firmwares shipped with new S60 Nokias. You can actually use it.
In general this is a solid product.
I,ve used both e71 & e72 and one thing i can say is e72 is simply awesome.. No need to listen to the negative comments about e72.. I,ve had e72 since last 3 weeks and i never had any lag problems as mentioned by other users. My e72 never hanged as mentioned by others. I,ve used 15 major applications simultaneously and my phone did not show any lag. Still 5MB memory was free. The only issue is light lesk from behind the soft keys which is not a major issue.. If u have waited for this mobile for so long there is no point going for e71 now.. The reason being it,s much faster, camera and gallery is awsome, fp2 is very eye catching.. Sure there are minor bugs but all of those can be fixed by a firmware update. It has a very stable firmware considering it,s the initial one.. Also, e71 has become very common now so no point in going for that now.. Go and buy e72.. u will never regret..
SuccessCre8or, 18 Dec 2009Plz Help: I really liked the E71 and it's ROCK SOLID build quality, but from what I've heard ... moreThe 2.5 jack is not a major problem IMO. I own a E71 and bought a 2.5.to 3.5 converter which is kept permanently connected to my headphones. It adds just a couple of cms to the headphones cable lenght and I am happy with the sound I get.
Friends, this is to those who are still on edge of yes / no to E72.
I have tried 2 units of E72 but never been able to say E72 is what will satisfy your requirements as a perfect mobile.
Although those who already own this mobile may not agree as they have been eagerly waiting and finally when they got their E72 will not accept anybody complaining about their most loved gadget.
E72 has a 600 mhz processor but it has never been able to play high bitrate mpeg4 as smooth as 528 mhz Qualcomm and even 400 mhz intel Xscale processor. I dont know why 600 mhz is not as capable as older processors.
E72 sometimes gets bogged and slowdown and even at times hang while using applications. E71 performs far far better and never lag in performance.
The hardware itself is not very sturdy as E71. The backlight leaking out from behind of action keys makes it feel cheap and defective.
Speaker volume is a total letdown. Forget about listening to mp3s while on the go. You have to keep your headphones with you all the time. Besides that you can easily miss a call as vibration is not that strong and speaker volume as I said is a curse.
When compared to E71 only and only its a camera which is a great improvement and the flashy looks of fp2 menu.
At the moment this mobile sells in most parts of the world a about USD 380 to USD 450 which is way higher than E71 which now cost only USD 250.
Apart from Camera, there is no job that can be done on E72 better than E71 infact when it comes to usability and stability E71 wins 10 out of 10 and E72 should fetch around 6 to 7 out of 10.
I have used both devices and can without any doubt recommend E71 to those who are looking for a good mobile solutions. ( Not problems )
I really liked the E71 and it's ROCK SOLID build quality, but from what I've heard the E72 is NOT AS GOOD in terms of build quality...
Should I get the more expensive E72 or get the E71 ??
For me the E72 has one pro, that's the standard 3.5mm jack..
What do you say?
I owned a brown one, made in finland. When I listened radio fm, phone reset often. I quit second day.
I have tried 2 of these devices as an upgrade to the E71 and had to send both back as they do not function as well / fast as the E71. I am still on my faithfull E71 and staying there till Nokia sorts this rubbish out