Anonymous, 02 Dec 2012I am surprised that nobody on this forum has not noticed or does not really use Nokia maps oth... moreYou really have no idea about Nokia maps and offline navigation.
1. They are two separate apps, Maps (actually NokiaHERE) is a high class app with Navteq maps updated more than once a year. There are 2d and 3d map view, terrain view, satellite view and soon will be the street view too, similar to what Google has in pc version.
2. There is a compass in Nokia devices even some very old and outdated ones which can rotate the map respective to real world directions. However maps are for reference purposes only, if you want a navigator, then Nokia Drive does it. Maps can be downloaded from Nokia server acc. to your needs, full countries or partial for big countries, whole world is included too. Set a destination after that and it calculates a route totally offline, and guides you with turn by turn free lifetime voice navigation.
3. There are many tips and tricks for getting out the most from Nokia mapping services (maps, drive, public transport, guides, city lens, etc) excellent service for totally free and by saving a lot of data, you get what you need in a wifi area and use when you want.
4. After using Nokia mapping services, Tomtom and Garmin in my eyes started to look useless, i didn't need them ever more.
5. Offline navigation or points of interest services for Android and iOs (all what is available) are damn frustrating, i have tried google, tomtom, navigon, navfree, waze, etc, etc, are at best simply useless, can't compare any with Nokia in all terms. All the paid and data hungry navigation services you may find for the SGNote2 or iPhone5 are a joke compared to the free Nokia services on an outdated c7, n8, x7, e7 Belle phone, i've tried that.
6. Map services on the new Lumias will be just impossible to rival, try them and then let's talk.
Anonymous, 02 Dec 2012I am surprised that nobody on this forum has not noticed or does not really use Nokia maps oth... moreSon, do u know how to use that app ? have been using it for 3 yrs now and it is working just fine..
Anonymous, 02 Dec 2012I am surprised that nobody on this forum has not noticed or does not really use Nokia maps oth... moreIf it doesn't float your boat,stick to whatever you have mate. But i love it. Nokia lumia rocks
I am surprised that nobody on this forum has not noticed or does not really use Nokia maps otherwise you would find issues: you do not have integarated phone's electronic compass in Nokia maps and you cannot spin the map or get an arrow for north or direction of keeping the phone do if you do not have a route and just watch the location current location on map you do not know in what direction to go because you do not know in what direction is north west east and south. This is a huge limitation and google maps and apple maps all spin the map or show a compass on map that is updated with the orientation of the phone. Nokia maps are 10 years old and the feature to download maps is useless for USA where the area is huge and the portion downloded is limited to 10-20 square miles on which you see the street names or if you download to larger area you cannot see the street names.
Ii is much fuss about WP8 and Nokia but realistically such pair just prove to be a mediocre system, nothing to be remembered and used 3 years from now. It does not bring any benefits over iPhone and Android like I expected a global file manager and side loading, no customization over home screen and system fonts and layout, some people may just wish classic icons on home screen, no possibility to upload and download files using the web browser so you need an app for each site that lets you download or upload pictures and documents or executable programs. You are bound to Microsoft store as iPhone users are at least iPhone users have an alternative with Cydia you do not have any solution to break the limits imposed by Microsoft.
The pre-orders in the Netherlands are even more than normal sales of iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3. Nokia Lumia 920 really will be one of the most popular devices here. Good news.
My ideal secondary phone would be a wp8 Nokia with 3.2'' screen, 800mhz processor, 400mb ram, 10mm thickness, 1500mah battery, 3.2mp camera, no storage but microsd card slot. Wouldn't it make sense for up to $200 sim free?
Hey, won't they release a midrange to low end wp8 phone of $200-? I want a secondary phone, i want it Nokia and i want it wp8. Wouldn't mind a small screen, low processor, ram and storage, but i want it wp8.
It is coming to India from 15dec to 25dec depending upon location. I asked about price and launch date of Lumia 920 at NPD Noida, He said 25Dec and 37000INR which means 521EURO.
JayM, 02 Dec 2012Huge Demand for Lumia 920 confirmed in all markets. This article rounds up all Sold outs and B... morewith a bang!its gonna be their top dog,worthy to drive nokia's momentum forward.they had been running dry after n8 did its job.
J4RH3adm0nst3R, 02 Dec 2012Any news for release of L920 in India anyone Please ?Getting launched @ 15th dec in india
Huge Demand for Lumia 920 confirmed in all markets. This article rounds up all Sold outs and Best selling performances. Must read.
Nokia is Back!!
its now available here in the philippines...
contract free,, for only $599..
Windows phones are the worst!!! Sure it looks great and fell "alive" but thats it, there are not enough apps and the ones you can actually install work like hell, for example if you install whatsapp you have to open the program for the phone to notify you have new messages so if dont open it for 3 or 4 hours you never know you have them....
Nokia and MS has its eyes set on the US market. They are basically giving away this phone for free here. And they'll basically get their profits elsewhere. Look at how insanely expensive the previous Lumias are and this one!
people are saying this phone is heavy but I say its good that its heavy so we can do a little weight lifting aswell Keep it up Nokia & Microsoft :D
c'mon Nokia, please release
this awesome phone in the Philippines..
many are still patiently waiting..