I've had the phone for about a week (ordered from Amazon) and I'm very pleased with it so far.
- Beautiful screen, despite being somewhat easily-smudged, and nice dimensions.
- Feels solid and sturdy without being bulky or heavy.
- Excellent feature set - the GPS is a cool addition, but gets spotty reception indoors and in a moving vehicle; with good signal strength, it integrates very well with Nokia Maps or Google Maps.
- Camera is decent, 3.2 megapixels won't replace a digital camera but it does quite nicely when you can't carry one.
- The keypad takes a few minutes to get used to (which was my one hesitation buying this model) but it's surprisingly easy-to-use once you figure it out. I've found that the easiest way is to press across the keys with a fingertip/nail.
- Good battery life so far, and the Micro-SD is handy (the 2GB it ships with is plenty).
Overall a quality device.
I advise all people that Own a N78 get a Bluetooth Headset instead of using the phone speaker!!
Firmware update is out, it fixes the naviwheel and music player responsiveness, hopefully this means crashing too.
Anyone knows how to fast forward and rewind without using the remote when using the Real Player in N78?
I have tried pressing the various keys on the phone and I can only pause and adjust volume.
When I watch movies and I stop halfway, the next time I play it, the movie starts from the beginning.
Been using this phone for couple of weeks. Here is my brief review:
1. Battery can last about 2 days (took about 5 pics, record video for 10mins, browsing net using WIFI for 60mins with 50MB data downloaded, about 90 min calls)
2. Speaker volume is quite soft
3. Ringtone volume is alright
4. Buttons are not very ergonomic
5. Battery cover do have creaking sound
6. GPS work just fine
7. Camera works fine both in day & night shoot
8. Video quality not impressive (can't expect much from 15fps)
9. Navi-wheel is cool (need to get used to it)
10. See not much difference in FP2
Overall, this phone is good to use as it is. Design wise is either you like it or hate it. Do not expect much from the camera or video quality. A real fingerprint magnet surface.
But I'm happy with its battery life. The colour contrast of the phone is another plus point. Looks good even under a sunny day.
viperkid, 23 Jun 2008i knew it, it was u indeed. re stereo speakers, oh men dat's quite a downer =( as u may hav no... moreI got ur point bro.
In my case, I'm considering either 5320XM or 6220C.
6220C, because it has a 5MP AF camera and xenon flash! Or 5320XM, since I love music-centric phones.
Still have to be patient for these babies to come out.
Me too, I want good music first, camera second..so I must be patient and wait until next year for 5220XM and 5320XM..still can't decide which one..ones got the brains, the other got the looks
ash from manila, 23 Jun 2008You're right, kabayan. FM transmitter works fine. I personally tried it out when I dropped by ... morei knew it, it was u indeed. re stereo speakers, oh men dat's quite a downer =( as u may hav noticed, a 'loud' loudspeaker is a must have for me. btw, dat's d only reason y i didn't pursue upgrading to 5700XM..
back to N78, apart from its tad(?) lower speaker volume vs 5700, N78 seems to be an uniquely good all rounder (navi-wheel, fm transmitter, wifi, S60 UI 3.2, std interfaces [audio jack, usb.. et al]) device in its class. i dunno f d fella down here has a reliable source (a patch s being prep by nokia for d issue). r we finger crossing?
but when i see N82 black next to N78, im like - getting mad (like a cow LOL) seeing d previous wd lower price n still u get better image quality, video capture (VGA 30fps n powerful xenon flash s kil1in' me dude). on contrary, symbian OS 9.3, fm transmitter, navi-wheel n N78's brighter screen likewise s ki1lin' me, grrr.
anyway, since im a music buff, my 'plan c' might b d real solution, i.e., to get 5320XM instead. dat way i'll save a fraction of d cost of buying any of d three - N82, N78, 6220c. thence, probably purchase Panasonic Lumix FS5 for my imaging n video stuff. sounds a better deal (well at least for me). watcha think?
Anonymous, 22 Jun 20086 days after buying the phone I found that the Zoom In or Zoom Out buttons are inactive as soo... morei have the same prob the volume thing isnt working and it sux neways id rather throw this thing out of tha window
TP, 23 Jun 2008Its pathetic, battery drains before you could imagine. No use of using it for GPS as the batte... moreI've found this phone to have better battery life than phone's I've had in the past... Haven't played with GPS too much, but even using Wifi and downloading and veiwing videos it's great.
viperkid, 22 Jun 2008for pinoys:
price in nokia gateway P22,900
good thing is dat FM transmitter is enabled f... moreYou're right, kabayan. FM transmitter works fine. I personally tried it out when I dropped by at Nokia Store in Robinson's Galleria. So it's a good one to try in your car stereos!
However, the questionable thing is the speaker's sound output. It's so soft! It's softer than my 5700!
Its pathetic, battery drains before you could imagine. No use of using it for GPS as the battery will drain and you will not have the phone to call anyone after that. Nokia is known for the long lasting battery, dont understand why the battery is poor in N78.
Liam, 23 Jun 2008Not gud at al and nt gud vlume and keypad im going 2 use my old k800i way bter than ths!U r absulatly right, same feeling here. cheers
Is it true that fm transmitter included in-box?will malaysia's sets get one?
Not gud at al and nt gud vlume and keypad im going 2 use my old k800i way bter than ths!
Nokia has advised that they will be releasing a patch online for download to correct the low speaker quality on the N78!
fone is not good stay away from it! its not worth buying it has the worst volume and is soo damn large and ugly from tha back