jayson, 21 Dec 2010which phone is better htc desire or the nokia n8?please help me choose.OK, here we come to HTC desire and Nokia N8. First Both are good pones. you can do a spec sheet comparison on this site and then read the reviews. it will provide you a better idea. First i will say Why i choose N8
1. Camera - its stellar you don't have to have any doubts. its far more superior to the one on HTC desire. Actually i added my Digital camera budget to the phone budget.
2. The ability of Symbian to use operator comands
Now this is regional dependent
3. Pentaband 3G radio. I live in US and use T-mobile, Desire Don't have 1700 band which used by T-Mobile
Unlocked: I didn't go for locked galaxy vibrant or T-mobile G2 (desire Z variation) coz if i buy the phone i need to get a 30$ data connection its a must.
Also the data connection for any Android device is 30$ while for N8 it is 10$
4. Free lifetime voice guided navigation with offline maps. It works well for me, and actually i cancelled my data plan now, and have a pay as you go data plan only for the GPS assistance, it use less than 100 Kb for a month.
5. Multimedia: Better video player and music player. photo viewer is a win-win Nokia N8 provides albums and tags but Desire provides some cool animations and replicate the folder structure instead of album.
6. Price : Desire unlocked is 550$ (+ 100 $ separate digital camera) where i bought N8 for 449$ from nokia USA
7. Front facing camera for video calls. i use fring to do occasional video calls when i'm away from Laptop
Now why i choose Desire
1. Android 2.2 Froyo: Call filter, Private inbox, Wifi tethering, etc
2. HTC sense UI, its fun to use, but i felt bored after some time, even though it is useful
3. Better social network integration and gmail services
4. More software reliability, with 1GHz processor and 576MB ram, UI flies like a rocket. You will find no lags or poses, while you will experience some poses in N8 - not because it has less resources, because in some cases it has designed in that way to give better better performance
5. Even though it seems like only strength of desire is the OS and UI (OS by Google and UI by HTC) i need to mention the screen size and aspect ratio, it gives a better touch experience with two hands
6. Quick office and the pinch to zoom enabled pdf reader are far superior to the once found in N8. Its a pity i couldn't read any excel sheets came with email attachments on N8.
Now some critical factors.
1. Screen resolution: desire has a bigger screen and resolution, but N8 maintains the 16:9 aspect ratio make the device easy to handle with single hand - its your choice
2. You cannot display times of deferent cities and countries in N8 home screen only the current time zone get displayed where you can do it easily in Desire, i would like to have it, also when you set alarm you cant sellect your personal recurrence patters in N8, Eg. you cant set an alarm to recur on every Tuesdays and Thursdays you have to set two Alarms.
3.No USB on the Go, FM transmitter, HDMI out or even TV out in HTC desire
4. Some what confusing organization in Android setting menu, for example, USB debugging is under Application - development menu and i couldn't find the Factory restore in froyo which was located in the security menu in eclair and i used the recovery image to do the system restore.
5. Web browser in Desire is superior to the one on N8
6. Keyboard Input in N8 was frustrating for me after i was used to desires keyboard. Split view is a must and i would like a portrait qwerty keyboard for user name and password entry, address search in Ovi Map and so on
7. Battery life of N8 seems to be better than Desire for me.
these are my honest opinions about both the devices. You have to fit your needs and wants and your background to decide among those two. i won't suggest you to play with both the devices for one hour and buy your device, coz if you play with the device one hour, I'm certain you will buy HTC desire, but your real device may have been N8. So if you wanna try the device try it for little more time and take your decision. I hope i was a help
iPhone Look I am so popular I have an iPhone LaLaLa
Andriod Look at me I'm so pretty
Symbian Don't give me that sh*t just get the job done
hey guys....can i ask question?............how can u describe the n8.....coz im planning to buy...bcoz there are lots of bad comments about n8..pls help me to decide..
Having this for two month now,doesn't face any serious problem so far,restarting once when trying to instal s60v5 apps. Performance is good,music quality is fine,gaming is ok,browser is slow,camera is awesome,battery last for two days. One of the best phone i ever had (n73,n95,iphone3gs,galaxys,n8).
Cannibal Corpse, 22 Dec 2010u peoplr r highly influenced by n8. anyone just see, if u write anything against n8, people he... moreNice thoughts Pal,
Standard of the phones only depends on the user. As i mentioned earlier in a post, User should be able to find the best choice for them. Sure N8 is not the God, neither iPhone nor Droids. Its obvious that N8 packs more technology than any phone under one body. But it lacks in UI front. Symbian is still not fun to use, that doesn't mean Symbian is inferior. Again the choice of OS and Phone depends on ones needs and wants. We have to admit the facts, HTC desire didn't satisfy my need, But N8 did, I'm happy about it. But there are instances that i wish Symbian^3 to behave like Android. Similarly, there were instance i wished Android to behave like Symbian 5th edition, and Desire to act like 5800. What does it mean is each device in the market has it strengths and weakness. Neither of which are GODS nor Garbages.
Guys, please try to provide Your honest opinion and counter opinions So somebody Try to find the suitable device for them can be befitted. You use N8 doesn't mean that everybody in the world should use N8 or you hate N8 doesn't mean that nobody should buy N8. No bashings please...
Indian., 22 Dec 2010Dude..I checked it with my handset(Wildfire)...I can't find the issue that you have mentioned.... moreopps dude,
here you go, you can find several of similar pages. if you want i can provide you my back and forth communications with HTC customer service.
Indian., 22 Dec 2010Dude..I checked it with my handset(Wildfire)...I can't find the issue that you have mentioned.... moreBro, your Android Market is working i guess. My Market was broken. it was not working. App brain did a good job while my market was working. What i said was its not an independent app store. If you search for vending.apk (thats the apk file for Android market) you will get to know about the posts regarding the breakdown of Market in various devices. This is not an android section so lets refrain from talking android here
jayson, 21 Dec 2010which phone is better htc desire or the nokia n8?please help me choose.htc
razan, 22 Dec 2010i have bought this phone two weeks ago but I dont find any thing new in it instead the camera.... moreMake a comparison of X6 and N8 in the spec sheets of GSM arena you will find what are new to N8. Ya if you are not a person who makes use of those new additions, then you should have bought 5800 instead of X6 or N8. Thats the real value for money to date, not even X6 or N8 honestly.
New about N8
First Nokia device to feature multi touch
First Nokia device to Pack HDMI out, USB on the GO
First Device with Symbian^3,
First Penta-Band device
HSDPA 10.2 Mbps HSUPA 2.0 Mbps
First Nokia to pack AMOLED Display
Only devic with Class 33 EDGE and GPRS
Features n-Band of WiFi
680 MHz processor, 256 MB RAM and 512 MB ROM
Dedicated Graphic Hardware Accelerator
Active noise Cancellation
DivX/Xvid codec inbuilt
Full photo editor and Video editor
I think this list is enough for you to realize whats new in N8.I didn't talk about the Camera here, coz you agreed it, But actually is you want to talk about the camera, it will need an entire chapter here. Ya, if You want to talk about the Symbian^3 advancement over Symbian 5th edition thats also another chapter.
Improvements are there, Its Up to you to notice it. I can say either you don't have an N8 or you just tried it once before your post.
Anonymous, 19 Dec 2010Hey bro, if you happened use an android you will know this, when u save a phone number with co... moreDude..I checked it with my handset(Wildfire)...I can't find the issue that you have mentioned..I may be with low end android device..
u peoplr r highly influenced by n8. anyone just see, if u write anything against n8, people here will come to abuse u. i myself used n8 and it is a nice phone but people here have made it god which it is not. guys use ur brains before u buy. it has good touch and camera and some other features but operating system has made it limited. its good if u r buying this phone but must take a look on other phones as well. dnt get influenced by people here who r just appreciating n8. they r appreciating it since it was not launched. people here i want to ask them as they are rating its performance it was not launced " how can u rate a phones performance when u have not used it and morever when it is not launched?? ". i m not at all saying this phone is bad but guys go to nokia store and try it and use ur own brains instead of being influenced by review writers here.. best of luck.. N8 ROCKS...
jimmylks, 21 Dec 2010hi guys, may i know is the N8 compatible with AppBrain? AppBrain is something like Ovi Store t... moreAs far as i know, app brain is an android market extension, when u choose to download an app from appbrain it connects to android market and download the apps. When my market was broken in wildfire due to a software update, i tried to make use of Appbrain and it didn't work since my market was broken. You cannot install .apk apps in Symbian, its like trying to install MS office for mac in your windows PC. Most of the games are cross platform and you can find the equivalent version in Ovi Store, sooner or later. Also there are plenty of forums out there provide apps for Symbian^3.
i have bought this phone two weeks ago but I dont find any thing new in it instead the camera. All features are same as my nokia x6 and compativily i found nokia x6 is the best in term of price. One thing more, web tv is added in nokia n8.
[deleted post]in Jordan it costs 350JD, which equals to $500..
if Syria is expensive, just buy it from Irbid(jordan), its only 1.5 hours away from Damascus :)
which phone is better htc desire or the nokia n8?please help me choose.