Used my N8 on holiday. 3 days without charging, lots of stunning photos and videos, no reliability issues at all under heavy use. Got very drunk and dropped it off the top bunk too, no damage done :)
symbianize, 13 Dec 2010TIPS FOR NOKIA N8 Keypad shortcuts (Select "Call" from homescreen) - Bluetooth O... morewow!! This is one of the most productive and informative post on this forum..i just saved this page in opera mini..thanks a lot
TIPS FOR NOKIA N8
Keypad shortcuts (Select "Call" from homescreen)
- Bluetooth ON/OFF: longpress on '*'-key
- Call log: press call key
- Contacts: press on contacts icon
- Open browser: longpress on '0'-key
- Silent profile: longpress on '#'-key
Keypad codes (Select "Call" from homescreen and type...)
- *#7370# does hard reset
- *#7780# does soft reset
- *#06# shows your IMEI
- *#0000# shows info about phone software
- *#92702689# (*#war anty#) shows lifetimer
- *#2820# (*#BTA0#) displays the Bluetooth device address of your phone
- *#62209526# (*#MAC0WLAN) displays the MAC address of the WLAN adapter
Clock and Profile -widget
- Active and edit profile: press on profile name on the widget
- Calendar: press on date on the widget
- Clock: press on clock on widget
Notifications popup (press on battery icon)
- Clock: press on time on the popup
- Connectivity settings: press on connectivity icon on the popup
- Powersave mode ON/OFF: press on battery icon on the popup
- USB mode: press on USB icon on the popup (when connected) to switch USB mode without unplugging
- WLAN-manager: press on WLAN connection on the popup (when connected)
- Alarm Enable/Disable: Set alarm to repeat, then you can disable and enable it
- Animated Themes: Nokia default themes (not Midnight pack) have animated backgrounds, just active it from theme settings
- Data Counter: Open call log and tap on right tab to view data transfer log.
- Disconnect all networks: longpress with red call key
- Edit Homescreen: longpress on anywhere on the homscreen changes to edit mode
- Faster Homescreen: turn of theme effects from Themes settings to make switching between homescreens instant
- Favorites Widget: you can scroll the favorites widget horisontally and add more than four contacts, unlike in N97 homescreen
- Forced Reboot: press power key for eight seconds simulating "battery removal"
- "Full" Reset: hold "Volume Down + Camera Key + Menu Key" and press power button until your phone shake (Warning! Will remove some apps permanently like Ovi Store and Qt!)
- Predictive QWERTY: predictive text and word auto-completion are also supported on QWERTY, not only in keypad
- Screen Saver Notification: Use 'Music Player' screen saver to show new sms and missed calls icon on screen. Time, Date, Profile and Music being played will also be shown if enabled.
- Silence Calls/Snooze Alarms: turn around your phone upside down to silence calls or snooze alarms (set it on from Settings > Sensor settings)
- Special Characters: longpress on '1*'-character on QWERTY keyboard to input special characters like õ, ü, etc.
- Torch (n/a in N8): hold down keylock to use LED flash as a torch
- Two way Charge: Both USB and regular thin-pin adapters can be used for charging
- Two way Keylock: open keylock by sliding keylock button on side OR by pressing menu key and then press on the screen where it says "Unlock"
- Two way TV-OUT: use HDMI cable to get digital TV Out (only N8/E7) with HD resolution or use 3.5mm cable for composite TV out
- Voice Command: hold Call button in homescreen (setup voice command first)
- USB OTG: you can directly connect almost any USB device to the phone (including USB mouse, -keyboard, -pendrive and -external HDD)
- Widget settings: in homescreen edit mode, press on widget (Notifications, Mail, Search and Shortcuts)
- Widgets Online/Offline: select Options > "Widget to Offline mode" from homescreen
- Calendar: browse through days by swiping through screen from left to right or vice versa to browse back
- Camera: use Pinch zoom to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios (9Mpix vs 12Mpix on N8)
- Camera: double press on screen to zoom (like with browser)
- Camera: you can also zoom by using volume keys
- Clock: switch between analog and digital clock by tapping the big clock shown on screen
- File Manager: connect to a network drive by choosing the setting from options menu (instead of Settings)
- File Manager: jump down on folder tree by pressing on one of the folder icons on top of the screen
- File Manager: open search bar by lightly pressing on camera key
- Gallery: Three ways to zoom pictures; by making a double press, a pinch zoom or by using volume keys
- Mail: Collapse and expand all days by doing longpress on a day
- Menu (App. Grid): instead of leaving it to background, choose Options > Exit
- Profiles: set profile (except general and offline) to change based on time of the day from profile settings
- Ovi Maps: share current (or favorite) location via MMS or E-Mail to any other Nokia device with Maps
- Task Manager: open Task Manager by doing longpress on (physical) menukey on the phone
- Task Manager: longpress on any of the apps to bring out option to close invidual or all running apps
- Lost Application (general): in case you accidently delete some of Nokia applications, like Communities or Midnight theme pack, use Software Update re-install it
it is the best and i am going to buy one.
it is a real deal.
Anonymous, 13 Dec 2010Have to agree that Iphone does a couple of things better than N8. But N8 does tons of things I... moreI totally do agree with you!!! I wish all the ones with bad comments with regards to the N8 will stop! I mean what are they actually doing here!!? If they hate the phone so much but cant seem to get away from it - Makes me wonder though!! HAHA..LOL
Anonymous, 13 Dec 2010Iphone is the best...luv u apple....n8 doesnt even stand near it...n8 is too laggy and slow an... moreHave to agree that Iphone does a couple of things better than N8. But N8 does tons of things Iphone cannot do AT ALL! In other words, your vehicle might be faster than mine on the road. But mine can drive fly and swim while you only drive. So objectively then, which is better? Hmmm? The N8 is the greatest thing yet!
oh wow! . . . .a 1 ghz processor . . ! at last i owned it . . except for its very lagish and crappy system(stupid crappy multi-touch ang rough kinetic scrolling) and only 360x640 screen resolution! . . oh c'mon nokia! . . i returned it to the retail store where i bought it . . I excanged it for a samsung GALAXY S . . .
Anonymous, 13 Dec 2010Iphone is the best...luv u apple....n8 doesnt even stand near it...n8 is too laggy and slow an... moreWell if you love your Iphone that much what are you doing on N8? You know what they say - Jealously makes you nasty!! Enjoy your Iphone and let the others enjoy the N8.. Taste differs you know.
Nuwan, 13 Dec 2010Dear all friends..,
Since I've given my personal idea regarding my personal experience with... moreFirst, let me clarify a few things. Higher pixel density doesn't mean better image quality. It's true that the images are much sharp on a higher resolution screen. But on AMOLED display it's much less noticeable (unless it's pentile matrix like Galaxy S). I honestly can't see any individual pixel when held at 30 cm from my eyes, and I don't think anyone can. You will see the difference if pitched against ip4, but that doesn't hinder real-life performance.
Regarding 5530 sounding better than N8, I must say it's total BS. Look at the freq. response graphs, check the audio quality review at mobile-review; it's proven that N8 is the best sounding mobile device. Perhaps you should try genuine audiophile tracks e.g. Killing in the name by Rage Against the Machine.
NFS, 13 Dec 2010 Yes. You are right.
Nokia might delay the launch of Meego OS.
That is why they... moreIt is almost impossible to make a phone that is loved by all, but it is certainly possible to make a phone that is loved by most of them and Nokia does it time and again.
Iphone is the best...luv u apple....n8 doesnt even stand near it...n8 is too laggy and slow and there are no apps available for it.........n8 is just waste money...dis fon is not worth it...iphone is the best fon ever built...;)
Nuwan, 12 Dec 2010Dear all friends,
I had the opportunity to hold Nokia N8 in my hand and to go through it fo... morehai mate..
feel sorry for you use only use it about half hour experienced..for you information i have and bought n8,c7 and c6-01...and now waiting for e7..you can check my post on c6-01 forum about those phone.with symbian^3 it totally magnificient compare to s60v3/v5...about music on n8...the default music you play is wma format...try play mp3 125kbs format..you will amaze..and you have gut to write review even you just play it around-taking other experience- for a while and never experience like we all do who have the phone...i know you love symbian..but sorry to say..you experienced with it is invalid..
the most annoying thing about this phone is when you send messages or typing, you will accidentally press the option button or the symbols options.
Sathish_Tom, 13 Dec 2010 I couldn't understand why Nokia introduced symbian*3 when Meego is going to be thei... more Yes. You are right.
Nokia might delay the launch of Meego OS.
That is why they have introduced Symbian*3.
Anonymous, 13 Dec 2010i really think you need to spend more time with the n8 to judge. the CONS that you mentioned a... moreDear all friends..,
Since I've given my personal idea regarding my personal experience with N8, I have been criticized that I had underestimated the phone... May be it's true because I only had about 45 minutes to play with it... So it's not at all to judge anything...
Let me tell you these...
I'm NOT a newbie to Symbian world... I have used several symbian phones (all are Nokias) and I have played with it up to the extremes... (For an example, my current mobile was hacked first.. Now I'm using a custom firmware with lots of ROMpatcher patches and Modds... If I were a Nokia newbie or Symbian newbie I will not be able to do those kind of stuff...)
Anyway, Nokia N8 is officially hacked now so there that is a positive news...!
However let me tell you certain things...
## First I did not want to compare Nokia N8 with Nokia 5530... (Both have their own specialties..) For an example I said "5530 resolution is better than N8.." when I said it, I didn't mean just the resolution... because any baby knows that both phones have the same resolution... (640 x 360 If remember correct..) But I didn't mean that.. I meant the density of the pixels... (5530 has 640 x 360 in just 2.9 inch display while N8 has the same in 3.5 big screen...) Do you get what I'm saying now...? (Still 5530 is the highest pixel density phone Nokia has made so far... and it's pretty noticeable... Just put both phones nearby and see by yourself... I did so...)
Nokia 5530 screen SUCKS when it comes to sun light legibility... In that apartment, N8 wins by miles due to its great AMOLED screen...!
(Very funny... Someone has tried to compare Capacitive and Resistive touch screen by its look...! Being capacitive or resistive has NOTHING to do with screen resolution or colors..! Some guys are using great phones like N8 but don't even know these simple stuff...!)
## When it comes to Music also, 5530 is way better than N8... (I repeat... 5530 Xpress music performed way better than N8...) But remember... I did not mean loudspeaker sound quality... I meant the sound out put from headsets... (I checked using same song and same headset jut to be reasonable...) However I have to agree even though N8 has mono loudspeakers, it's louder than stereo speakers of 5530...
I'm not a guy who hates N8 just like other Samsung or Apple fan boys... but I just said, Nokia would have done in the software department much better than this... (Plus introducing higher resolution display with Nokia clear black option like in C6-01)
I couldn't understand why Nokia introduced symbian*3 when Meego is going to be their flagship device-os in the near future.
Thus it means that arrival of symbian*3 is a clear indication that Meego is not going to be announced in 2011 ???...