What is Symbian^3?
Symbian^3 is the first fully open
source version of the Symbian
platform, and the second release of
the Symbian platform by the
Symbian Foundation. It extends
Symbian^2 in many ways, including
graphics support for advanced
layering and effects, full HDMI
support for a great television
playback experience and improved
data performance - ideal for
streaming high definition audio and
Anonymous, 07 Jun 2010Nokia N8 vs Motorola Milestone XT720
n8 is t... moreWhy not…..Nokia N8 vs Samsung Galaxy S l9000..
clearly N8 only edge is its Camera?? Hhhmmm and I heard that Galaxy S is downloadable to Androd 2.2 Froyo., according to news Galaxy S os the monster phone this year…
mothman, 08 Jun 2010The ARM11™ processor family provides the engine that powers most smartphones in production ... moreYet again, no matter what a marketing presentation for an ARM 11 would say I still think they might have been in a better position upping it a bit.However if we consider the graphic accelerator it might be ok. The RAM I think is def low. it will have to handle 12 MP images, plus up to 48GB of combined storage.... that's a lot of computing... Plus all the updates that hopefully will be coming up...
virtually every portable device now
uses USB for PC connectivity. As
these products increase in
popularity, there is a growing need
for them to communicate both with
USB peripherals and directly with
each other when a PC is not
available. There is also an increase in
the number of other, non-PC hosts
(Embedded Hosts) which support
USB in order to connect to USB
The newly published Revision 2.0 of
the USB On-The-Go and Embedded
Host Supplement addresses these
scenarios by allowing portable
devices and non-PC hosts to have the
Targeted host capability to
communicate with selected other
Support for direct connections
between OTG devices
A small USB connector to fit the
mobile form factor
Power saving features to preserve
Compliance testing for low-speed,
full-speed and high-speed USB
Embedded Hosts and On-The-Go
products is available now. An
updated compliance program for
Revision 2.0 of the USB On-The-Go
and Embedded Host Supplement is
The ARM11™ processor family
provides the engine that powers
most smartphones in production
today; it is also widely used in
consumer, home, and embedded
applications. It delivers extreme low
power and a range of performance
from 350 MHz in small area designs
up to 1 GHz in speed optimized
designs in 45 and 65 nm. ARM11
processor software is compatible
with all previous generations of ARM
processors, and introduces 32-bit
SIMD for media processing,
physically tagged caches to improve
OS context switch performance,
TrustZone for hardware-enforced
security, and tightly coupled
memories for real-time application
If only nokia would add a faster processor and 512 RAM. Its just putting it physically at a disadvantage now... What happens if you filled up all memory with random stuff (as some ppl would)? Even if they had to add 50 bucks it would've been worthy.. ugh....
iphone 4 is out and it will get beat by n8 when n8 will be released, but for now let the isheep enjoy their toy as it brings nothing new to the world...
nokia respects it's customers by giving them as more features possible to get with less money than apple charge for nothing new...
comparing n8 with iphone 4, shows how apple are so behind...
Evoss, 07 Jun 2010now immediatelly nokia fails in display resolution against iphon 4ya but thats too high on same sized screen that of N8. I dont know technically but read lot of people stating diffience can not be noticed by naked human eyes.. If its true then high resolution hardly makes sense..
IMHO, this is an epic fail from Nokia. I wanted very much to like this phone, since it is the first true 3G WORLD phone, but that's where it stops. Nokia falls short on the rest of the specs on a phone that had real potential to sweep the global market thanks to its compatibility around the world.
1) Physical design: aluminum casing or not, users will quickly find out how fast the corners of this phone will wear out constantly being moved in and out of the pocket with such defined corners. And overall, it looks nowhere as sleek or stylish as some of the other phones out there. Who at Nokia decided tapered ends still looked good?
2) ARM 11 680 MHz processor...really Nokia? All the big players have implemented 1GHz processors in their flagship phones, and you still choose to stick with 680 MHz. I don't care how refined Symbian ^3 is, any current Nokia user knows how dated the current Symbian OSs are, and a slow processor never helps.
3) Symbian ^3: Say whatever you like about it, the reality is it's not going to win over anyone on the fence. SE did something smart and decided to start following the Android OS, and Nokia should have followed suit to reach a bigger market. By stubbornly choosing to stick to their own coding, they're just continuing to narrow their market.
4) 12MP camera: Sure, it might fool the most basic consumer, but that's not who this phone is geared towards. Nice to see Nokia try to work on the sensor size and even put in a ND filter, but 12 MP is completely unnecessary on a phone and will never be needed. Stick to 8 MP max, and work more on improving the sensor.
5) Release date: others have already mentioned this before. The smart players know when to release their phones. By delaying release, Nokia is missing out on many potential customers. Sure, I'm all for delaying for the purpose of working out the kinks on the phone, but if you need to delay that long, that means there's been some major hiccups, and that's only going to raise eyebrows.
That's all I needed to say. I'm not a fanboy of any one company. I'm a smart consumer (or at least try to be) and do all my research before buying into anything. I'm not saying tis will be a bad phone, but I'm just saying it had the potential to be so much more than it will be. Nokia once again dropped the ball.
but with another features what this nokia has iphon 4g totally fails !!! 12 mpx xenon flash definetly buying this but first iphon 4g ? :DDDDDDDDD
Its really historical day! Apple brings something like magic..! video calling.. introduced by others many years ago except this fruit company.. BUT apple has something more to offer in this department.. something really historical..!
its a iPhone to iPhone video calling over wi-fi (ya, over wi-fi only n allowed between two iSheets only)
Be ready to experience!
ROLF! now can anyone tell me how this phone will compete against already grown compelition? Bluetooth functionality is still restricted.. wtf? people now undertand whats restricted licenced burden stuff is and whats wide open sourced is. N8 surprice us at the same departments iphone disappoints. Nokia just need to set symbian right and to push meego extensively. Hopefully they are heading in right direction.
the iphone 4g doesn't bringing nothing revolutionary !!
evrerything what is now in iphone 4 there was long time in other mobiles such SE or Nokia !!
iPhone 4 is coming on 24th June, and Nokia is still pending :@ COMONNNNNNNNNNN
Anonymous, 07 Jun 2010no, there's no stylus. This phone has a CAPACITIVE touch screen, not a resistive one. hence it... moreAccording to this http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-n8/specifications N8 will come with capacitive stylus in some market (dont remember but some sources says only in china). But you can buy it seperately.
Anonymous, 07 Jun 2010is coming with stylus?I think only in china. By the way you can also buy seperate capacitive stylus online.
Anonymous, 07 Jun 2010no, there's no stylus. This phone has a CAPACITIVE touch screen, not a resistive one. hence it... morebe fair n tell the advantages as well..! people would have cried if N8 comes with resistive.. thats it..
Anonymous, 07 Jun 2010is coming with stylus?no, there's no stylus. This phone has a CAPACITIVE touch screen, not a resistive one. hence it recognizes touch signals through charge's in ur finders rather than a physical push. that is one of the disadvantages to capacitive--no hand writing recognition. also, you can't be wearing gloves or using ur fingers to use this phone even if ur finger has a bandage on.