I purchased my last Nokia phone approximately 1.5 years past time for an upgrade. I this N8 will be it. I just want to make sure that the battery will last at least one day, with all the tweeting and Facebook updates that i do on a daily basis. If that will not be the case then it makes no sense.
Tom-Helge, 29 May 2010Hahaha, your trying pretty hard to make your self to look very dumb.
The phone i was really... moreWhat do you need 1GHz of proccessing power for???
..its always better to have a graphics chip for gaming than raw cpu power ..and i am not dumb i was being skitty or taking the mick..
Tom-Helge, 29 May 2010Hahaha, your trying pretty hard to make your self to look very dumb. The phone i was really... moreSo youre saying that 3d hw accelerator has n0 use? BuT i saw in my old n82 with hw accelerator too. Just like the ones post n95 8gb and n97 on viewing 3d graphics
brynn, 29 May 2010Your unhappy because you had no willpower to wait for N8 so you bought an x10 instead,, thats ... moreHahaha, your trying pretty hard to make your self to look very dumb.
The phone i was really waiting for is this phone: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8520_beam-3150.php
But because i got the money to buy a new phone 2 weeks ago, then i had to buy a new phone when i had the money.
And because both the Samsung I8520 Beam and Nokia N8 wasn't released, then i went for the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10.
And also, i haven't bought a Nokia phone since i had the Nokia 7110: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_7110-15.php
I have only had Ericsson / Sony Ericsson and Samsung mobiles after that. And all of the Ericsson / Sony Ericsson and Samsung mobiles i have bough in all those years have been rock solid phones.
And since i only buy Sony Ericsson and sometimes Samsung phones now, then i didn't want to wait on the N8. I wanted a much much better phone than that. And i don't want a camera phone, i want a fully multimedia phone with alot of CPU power.
So in my case, the Nokia N8 would be junk for me. So that's the reason i went for the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10.
And celladik. When it's about running something that require ALOT of CPU power, then try to run a 720p movie with 10k kbps in bitrate on the Nokia N8 and then run it on the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10.
Who do you think will lose here?. I know who will lose badly here. And it's not the XPERIA X10, but the Nokia N8.
And not only that, but think about the future. It will come programs and games and other stuffs out after some times that needs more and more CPU power and that. So i rather have a phone that i can use for many many more years without worrying anything about the programs and games that will come out later that require more power out of the phones.
Sony Ericsson have said that the XPERIA X10 will have lifetime support to, so that alone is a good enough reason to have a phone like X10.
XPERIA X10 is a very powerfull phone and because the phone wont get outdated in the near future, then it's a nice thing to have lifetime support on a phone that will last for many years.
Now i'm not sure on how it is with the Nokia N8, but after what i know, most of the Nokia phones are getting forgotten after just 1 year and sometimes lesser time than that. So they wont get any more updates after that.
So will Nokia N8 have support for 1+ years then?. If not, then it will be a waste to buy this phone.
Tom-Helge, 29 May 2010The HTC Desire have Android 2.1 and multi touch, and that's the only 2 things that is better w... moreHow bout running heavy application on both? Who do you think can perform well?
hmmm! i was wondering how much would be the introductory price here in the philippines. nokia phones here usually comes out high-priced but dives down very fast like for example nokia n97 came out like more or less 30k philippines peso but as of today you have this phones for 20k++
Tom-Helge, 29 May 2010The HTC Desire have Android 2.1 and multi touch, and that's the only 2 things that is better w... moreYour unhappy because you had no willpower to wait for N8 so you bought an x10 instead,, thats not our fault its yours..Just sell x10 and wait to buy the smartfone you initially wanted,,,,,the N8..
Tom-Helge, 29 May 2010The HTC Desire have Android 2.1 and multi touch, and that's the only 2 things that is better w... moreStill anything is better than buying an x10 for sure ,update due 2011 more likely.
Respected Gsmarena Team . Nokia N8 has Document Editor . Please correct the specifications . It is posted on Nokia Uk website. Thanks
celladik, 29 May 2010So what is x10 can do that htc can't do for example desire?The HTC Desire have Android 2.1 and multi touch, and that's the only 2 things that is better with the Desire over the X10.
X10 have bigger screen with higher resolution, it have a much much better screen when your outside in sun. XPERIA X10 have 5 times better camera than HTC Desire. Just look at the quality some of the users here can squeeze out of the XPERIA X10 camera here: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=195111
The movie recording on the HTC Desire is a complete joke with 15 fps @ 480x800 resolution on the recording. Here XPERIA X10 have 30 fps @ 480x800 resolution with much much better quality.
XPERIA X10 have double the storage space in the phone memory over HTC Desire.
XPERIA X10 is a bit bigger than HTC Desire, but still it weight the same as the Desire, also 135g.
And this is why i'll take the XPERIA X10 any days over the HTC Desire.
phones fan, 29 May 2010you forgot this:
amoled vs TFT
12 MP vs 8 MP
xenon &led vs led
and the both phones are... moreWhen you have a good camera phone like Nokia N8, you will for sure use the phone outside ALOT to take pictures. And because of that, then AMOLED is a BIIIG BIG disadvantage over normal TFT screens.
TFT screens anydays over AMOLED screens when it's about being outside in sun.
12 mpix vs 8 mpx. Don't fall for this and think that 12 mpix is better by default than 8 mpix. All that matters is that the phones have very good optics. And in this case Nokia N8 seems to be very good. Not because it have 12 mpix camera.
Xenon blitz helps when it's dark and nothing more. But believe me when i say it that the XPERIA X10 can still take insanly good pictures both when it's light and when it's dark outide. You just have to use the right settings. Just look here as an example: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=195111
Multi touch was never one of the reasons for me to buy the iPod Touch. The reason i bought it was because it was a very easy mp3 player to use. And because you could get alot of programs on it when you jailbreaked it. And that was just really cool back when the iPod Touch was released for the first time.
And how much do you think i have been using multi touch on my iPod Touch since i bought it some years ago?. Almost never. Maybe some very few times.
Yeah the lack of multi touch made some X10 owners angry, but after they saw how the new one hand touch thing is going to work, then most of those was happy anyways. Just look here: http://www.xperiax10.net/2010/05/09/sony-ericsson-confirms-no-multitouch-for-x10-mini/
XPERIA X10 will get the same feature as the X10 Mini in that video clip in that link.
Please go away from , 29 May 2010Tom,
I think, the whole comparison of X10 with N8 is not quite that we should be doing.
... moreOk, i'm gonna answer you to.
1. The price on the N8 will be more than 320 pound when it's released, that's for sure.
2. If the programs in the background that isn't used are in idle modus, then they wont use more battery. If they are loaded into the RAM, they will stay there and be idle until you goes back to the program. So the program you went from then will then go into idle modus.
As far as i have seen, i haven't got any longer battery life on my X10 by killing idle programs in the background. It's the brightness when it's on full that really kills the battery.
The reason why we get told to set the brightness on the XPERIA X10 to automatic is because there is a bug that drains the battery quite alot. This will be fixed in the upcoming firmware update in some few weeks. And this firmware will gives us double battery time.
And not only that, but look here: http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/19/googles-larry-page-says-theres-something-wrong-if-your-andro/
3. This comparsion is far from being in the same case as we are talkiing about. When it's about the CPU that are in the N8 vs the CPU that are in the XPERIA X10. I see what you mean, but you can't compare it that way. Because going from an Intel Atom CPU to an Intel Core I7 CPU is an extremely big / jump difference. And it's not that big difference between the CPU in the N8 to the 1 GHz Snapdragon CPU that are in the XPERIA X10.
4. Yes, there are some disadvantages with that, but in Android 2.2 you get a task manager with the OS where you can kill apps and that. Some programs have an option to exit the application in Android so it closes completely. But not all applications have that. And it's those who are sitting in the background and running.
5. When i say bulky, i mean like this phone: http://www.gsmarena.com/i_mate_ultimate_9502-pictures-2158.php
It means that the phone doesn't have straight lines or looks very clean or have round edges.
XPERIA X10 have a 4 inch screen that is just really amazing if you watch movies on the phone, or if you use it to surf the web or if you use the GPS. 4 inch over 3.5 inch there any days then. And if your into gaming on phones, then 4 inch -> 3.5 inch any days to. No questions about that.
I know 3.5 inch screens works okish for that to, but when you see the difference from 3.5 inch to 4 inch, you will never go back to 3.5 inch ever again then.
I know how big the difference is, since i have the iPod Touch to that i can compare to the side of my XPERIA X10.
I'm also gonna tell you this, but no, i don't hate the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10. Because first of all, i own it my self, and secondly, it's a lightning fast phone. And it's design is just pure awesome / sexy. The XPERIA X10 is really really powerfull. Nothing is lagging on it except for TimeScape and MediaScape some very few times.
And since you asked, yes i have also been in the XPERIA X10 opinions chat alot of times, so i already knows about that link.
Please go away from , 29 May 2010Tom, I think, the whole comparison of X10 with N8 is not quite that we should be doing. ... moreit seems to be that you are a mobile expert,i've noticed screen splitting on n8 review video what do think causes that ?
Tom-Helge, 28 May 2010First off, this reply will get pretty long.
This is to you Anis.
You better check your ... moreTom,
I think, the whole comparison of X10 with N8 is not quite that we should be doing.
The reason being,
1. Price of N8 320Pounds, SE on its official site 499Pounds (I donít care if you get it for less in other places.) Thatís almost 35% less than X10.
2. You see, no phone applications should be build around using more RAM. Simple fact is more the active hardware, more drainage on battery. Why do you think it is advised to keep lesser brightness on your mobile to save battery or on your laptop?
3. Being an IT professional, we always try to optimize code to run with less memory usage and minimum overload on system resources so we should be having less device overload. On one side we have core i7 processor but the other side we have Intel Atom processor which are used in netbook. Why donít we use Intel core i7 in netbook? What if there is an application which needs more processor speed with more RAM. The hardware goes along the device and portable should be something that should last for hours without draining the battery much.
4. The concept of killing applications which are running in background to regain memory Ė I request you not to talk about that functionality. Garbage collection (GC) is a form of automatic memory management. It is a special case of resource management, in which the limited resource being managed is memory. The garbage collector, or just collector, attempts to reclaim garbage, or memory occupied by objects that are no longer in use by the program. Please visit wiki page to understand disadvantages of this principle and disadvantages are higher than advantages. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_collection_(computer_science)
5. What really do you mean by looks bulky Ė 4inch phone will bulky or 3.5 inch phone will look bulky. And weight of both phones is 135 gms.
I mean I can go on but I am tired and looks like you hate your X10 (Sorry, you are in deep Sh*t man that you canít come out), all the time saying X10 is better. It might be. WE DONíT CARE. We love N8 and no matter how you try to convince us, we wonít.
And if you really Love X10, I am going to provide with GSMARENA link for X10 if you donít have it, you can paste whatever we want and we donít care.
So please go away from N8 and post your comments on X10.
Niraj, 28 May 2010Answer to your questions
#1 have you see the current video of N8 presented by Nokia's product... moreyou forgot this:
amoled vs TFT
12 MP vs 8 MP
xenon &led vs led
and the both phones are bulky but the xperia is much bulkier .
the multitouch is what made iphone so popular and what made a lot of X10 fans disappointed.