Protocol, 03 Jan 2014Hi, I'm buying this legendary phone in just three days. So, I would like some professionals t... moreHi,
I'm an amateur (professionals do it for money, haha) but I'll try to help. ;-) Keep in mind that Nokia has been treating Symbian like an orphan for the past few years so some things need to be worked around. But if you look at it like getting a vintage BMW of your dreams instead of a brand new Hyundai for the same money, you'll be fine. I got mine last March and never regretted it. Actually I wish I had one more...
1. No, only Xenon. For photography, it's infinitely better, but there's no video recording light. If you need a flashlight there are apps to turn your display into one.
2. No, video recording goes up to 1280x720 so I guess it's the maximum it can play. Codec support was good back in the day, but never updated. If you stick with mp4 or 3gp there should be no problems.
3. There's Swype. It expired on January 1st but there's a solution for that. I only tried it briefly, but as I need two languages and couldn't find one of them I kept using the default keyboard. It's pretty good once you're used to it.
4. The camera menu isn't too intuitive but for casual shooting and mostly "auto" with small corrections it's fine. Some options need a few more taps to access but once you learn what is where it's easy. I can really recommend getting Harald Meyer's CameraPro for serious shooting. The interface is infinitely better and there are way more options. Also, default camera doesn't save your settings on exit unless you make a preset. It's just a little slower to start (4-5 sec for CameraPro vs 2 sec for default).
Exposure can't be configured as in "exposure time" but there's an exposure setting from -2 to +2. The rest... you have flash, grid, timer, colour tone (normal, sepia, b&w, vivid), white balance, exposure, ISO, contrast, sharpness and additional settings (geo tagging, capture tone, memory in use, image name, image size etc).
Aperture is 2.8, focal length is 28 mm. It's a wide angle lens and the only problem is macro, can't get closer than 10-15 cm. But on the 808 it's twice that, so...
5. 100-800. With default camera you get Auto, Low, Medium and High, and with CameraPro it's Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800
I can recommend this interview with Damian Dinning on GSMArena: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n8_camera-review-476.php
6. By default, no. I'm using Lancet QuickCam for that, works like a charm. There's also QuickApp and you can assign any app to the menu key when the phone is locked. Both support "long press" and "double tap" so I have QuickCam configured to launch either default camera or CameraPro when the phone is locked.
7. Yes. VGA front camera.
8. No, more like 14-15 with nothing installed.
9. If you mess something up you can reinstall it with Nokia Suite (hopefully). If it completely dies you can use Phoenix. It's Nokia's service software but you can get it off the internet, as well as custom ROMs and a lot of factory ROMs.
10. Default: You can "pinch to zoom" on the camera interface to quickly change between 12 (4:3) and 9 (16:9). In the settings there's also 3, 1.3 and 0.3 (all 4:3). With CameraPro there's 0.3, 0.78. 1.22, 1.92, 3.14, 3.77, 5.03, 5.97, 7.99, 8.99 and 12 MP.
I hope this helped a little. I had some free time. If you have any more questions, just ask. Good luck! \m/
hey guys! i know that the Symbian is aLready dead. but, what if, and WHAT IF Nokia revive the dead OS and upgrade our beLoved N8.
i have suggestion of what i want:
General 4G Network
Display type AMOLED capacitive touchsceen
Size 768x1280, 4.5inch (350 ppi)
Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 3
-Nokia Clear Black Display
Memory Card Slot up to 64GB
Internal 16/32GB, 2 GB RAM, 1 GB ROM
Speed HSDPA, 42.2mbps; HSUPA, 5.76mbps; LTE, Cat3, 50mbps UL, 100mbps DL
WLAN Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual band, DLNA, Wifi Hotspot
Bluetooth Yes, 3.0 with A2DP
USB Yes, Micro USB v2.0
Camera Primary 16MP, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, XENON & LED flash
Features 1/1.2 sensor size, Pureview Technology, geo tagging, face detection, Panorama
Video Yes, 1080p, 4x loss less digital zoom, LED light
Secondary Yes, 1.2MP, 720p@30fps
Features OS Nokia Belle FP2
Chipset Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon
CPU 1.5 Ghz dual core Krait
GPU Adreno 225
Radio Stereo FM Radio with RDS; FM transmitter
Colors Dark Black, White
GPS Yes, with A-GPS support, Ovi Maps 3.0
Java Yes, MIDP 2.1
-TV out (1080p) via HDMI with Dolby Digital plus sound
-Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
-document viewer (word, excel, powerpoint, PDF)
-predictive text input
Battery Standard battery Li-ion 2000mAh
this is my New Years Wish. i hope theres any chance to revive the Symbian.
SimpLy because its the best OS up to now base on my experience on using ALL LEADING OS.
Hi, I'm buying this legendary phone in just three days. So, I would like some professionals to assist me.
1. Does it have a LED flash?
2. Can I play 1080p full HD videos with this phone?
3. Can we use SwiftKey like keyboard on this phone?
4. How is the camera menu like? I mean, what's is the F stop? Do we have options in the settings to configure exposure, sharpness, ISO, vividness
5. What is the lowest and highest ISO level in this phone?
6. Does pressing the shutter key releases the camera even if the phone is locked?
7. Can we make native video calls?
8. Does it have full 16 GB Internal memory?
9. Is there any softwares to flash the software if the phone dies?
10. At what resolutions, we can take pictures?
I know that's a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate their answers. Thanks and have a nice day. ^^,
deepak, 03 Jan 2014in this mobile how to download viber and skype From Nokia Store. They are still there, and free.
Carol, 01 Jan 2014I have the same problem, it is not heavy enough. Excellent reply........ Ha Ha Ha
Anonymous, 24 Dec 2013hello friends, since many months, i am facing issues while logging in skype. Till i insert my ... morefirst of all, u do uninstall the skype apps from mobile, then reinstal skype
I am facing problem in signing in skype. Whenever i insert my name & password & press sign in, skype exits automatically & directly comes the home screen. Its not getting opened. Is any1 else having the same problem? Plz let me know the solution. Thanks in advance.
Kohinoor, 01 Jan 2014my friend have this mobile and she is not satisfied at all beacuse of the weightI have the same problem, it is not heavy enough.
Stupid me, 31 Dec 2013Happy New Year everyone! Here is wishing only wonderful things for you in 2014. May all your w... moreHey, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU TO. God Bless.
So, still don't like the new interface?:)). That's funny....:)). A great new year with all good stuff. Till next time, bye bye.
Kohinoor, 01 Jan 2014my friend have this mobile and she is not satisfied at all beacuse of the weightawesome mobile. i have been using this since nov 2010. Camera is too good.
my friend have this mobile and she is not satisfied at all beacuse of the weight
Stupid me, 31 Dec 2013Happy New Year everyone! Here is wishing only wonderful things for you in 2014. May all your w... moreWow. :-) I just went to the window... Light rain, firecrackers, rather cold, but hell didn't freeze over and yet you upgraded your firmware. Wow again. Now I'm thinking everything and anything is possible, you made my day! :-)
Well, some day you might feel like playing with your N8 again. The way things are going, phones like the N8 will be a prized possession, something to go back to and remember the good days when phones were interesting, charismatic, had personality and attitude and you were able to tell them apart... Don't worry, I had mine for a couple of weeks before I was finally sure of what I was doing, then I inserted my SIM card and it stayed inside ever since. ;-) Just take it easy.
Have a great 2014, and if you ever need any advice, you know where to go. See you! :-)
Carol, if you're reading, all the best to you too, man! :-)
Happy New Year everyone! Here is wishing only wonderful things for you in 2014. May all your wishes come true and may you enjoy good health, happiness and a vibrant spirit throughout 2014.
Just dropping by express the above sentiments and to let you know that I have finally installed Belle after much indecision and fear. Special thanks to Carol and MdN8 :-))) for their assistance, patience and encouragement. I followed Carol's instructions to a T. Can't say that I am raving about it yet :-D. Where I'll go from here? I am not sure. My poor N8 spent most of its life parked up in a drawer. Maybe it will be back to the drawer. Blessings to all.