Naima Cheikh, 15 Dec 2013I have had Nokia N8 for a month ,But it requires charging every time.When I charge energy goes... moretry to close all open application Naima, open application that you do not use drain your battery so fast thats why it always drain your battery. try to press the home button until you saw pop up from your screen and close all open application.....
Protocol, 03 Jan 2014You're really a pro, no doubt about that. Thanks for answering my questions in such a detailed... moreNo problem, where else could I annoy people by talking about my phone? :-)
1. 4000x3000 pixels, usually 1-3 MB. Nokia chose 85% jpeg compression to keep file sizes smaller and because "nobody could see the difference". With CameraPro you can go up to 100% and 9 MB files and try to find the difference. :-)
2. It says 5.898438 so I suppose 28 mm is a 35 mm equivalent. Just don't ask me to calculate anything from this number and the sensor size. :-)
3. Yes. Also a red light indicating video recording in progress.
4. No, it's one-piece aluminum with same-colored plastic caps on top and bottom. Battery is supposed to be "non removable" but if you loosen the two Torx screws at the bottom you can basically shake it out. I have the screwdriver (in case my phone gets wet or something, didn't need it yet) but I don't see the size on it. Anyway, if some stupid app freezes the phone (not very likely but it can happen) you can force shutdown by holding the power key for 8 seconds ("simulated battery removal"). But for carrying an extra battery you need a screwdriver with you too. The AllAboutSymbian guy used to do that.
5. I'm not too much into bokeh but there's way more of it than I used to get with a fixed focus camera for sure. ;-)
MdN8, 03 Jan 2014Hi,
I'm an amateur (professionals do it for money, haha) but I'll try to help. ;-) Keep in mi... moreYou're really a pro, no doubt about that. Thanks for answering my questions in such a detailed way.. :-) Now, I've decided to get this phone.
1. What is the pictures size at full resolution?
2. If you take a picture and then check the EXIF data, does it show focal length as 28mm or some other numbers?
3. I heard there's a red autofocus assist LED right behind the Xenon flash, is that true?
4. Is the back cover removable and is it easy to swap the battery?
5. The F stop is 2.8, doubt it can offer blur levels as an aperture of f2.4. That's all the questions going through my mind right now. Can't wait to get this phone. Much appreciated :-)
Protocol, 03 Jan 2014Hi, I'm buying this legendary phone in just three days. So, I would like some professionals t... moreHi,
I'm an amateur (professionals do it for money, haha) but I'll try to help. ;-) Keep in mind that Nokia has been treating Symbian like an orphan for the past few years so some things need to be worked around. But if you look at it like getting a vintage BMW of your dreams instead of a brand new Hyundai for the same money, you'll be fine. I got mine last March and never regretted it. Actually I wish I had one more...
1. No, only Xenon. For photography, it's infinitely better, but there's no video recording light. If you need a flashlight there are apps to turn your display into one.
2. No, video recording goes up to 1280x720 so I guess it's the maximum it can play. Codec support was good back in the day, but never updated. If you stick with mp4 or 3gp there should be no problems.
3. There's Swype. It expired on January 1st but there's a solution for that. I only tried it briefly, but as I need two languages and couldn't find one of them I kept using the default keyboard. It's pretty good once you're used to it.
4. The camera menu isn't too intuitive but for casual shooting and mostly "auto" with small corrections it's fine. Some options need a few more taps to access but once you learn what is where it's easy. I can really recommend getting Harald Meyer's CameraPro for serious shooting. The interface is infinitely better and there are way more options. Also, default camera doesn't save your settings on exit unless you make a preset. It's just a little slower to start (4-5 sec for CameraPro vs 2 sec for default).
Exposure can't be configured as in "exposure time" but there's an exposure setting from -2 to +2. The rest... you have flash, grid, timer, colour tone (normal, sepia, b&w, vivid), white balance, exposure, ISO, contrast, sharpness and additional settings (geo tagging, capture tone, memory in use, image name, image size etc).
Aperture is 2.8, focal length is 28 mm. It's a wide angle lens and the only problem is macro, can't get closer than 10-15 cm. But on the 808 it's twice that, so...
5. 100-800. With default camera you get Auto, Low, Medium and High, and with CameraPro it's Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800
I can recommend this interview with Damian Dinning on GSMArena: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n8_camera-review-476.php
6. By default, no. I'm using Lancet QuickCam for that, works like a charm. There's also QuickApp and you can assign any app to the menu key when the phone is locked. Both support "long press" and "double tap" so I have QuickCam configured to launch either default camera or CameraPro when the phone is locked.
7. Yes. VGA front camera.
8. No, more like 14-15 with nothing installed.
9. If you mess something up you can reinstall it with Nokia Suite (hopefully). If it completely dies you can use Phoenix. It's Nokia's service software but you can get it off the internet, as well as custom ROMs and a lot of factory ROMs.
10. Default: You can "pinch to zoom" on the camera interface to quickly change between 12 (4:3) and 9 (16:9). In the settings there's also 3, 1.3 and 0.3 (all 4:3). With CameraPro there's 0.3, 0.78. 1.22, 1.92, 3.14, 3.77, 5.03, 5.97, 7.99, 8.99 and 12 MP.
I hope this helped a little. I had some free time. If you have any more questions, just ask. Good luck! \m/
hey guys! i know that the Symbian is aLready dead. but, what if, and WHAT IF Nokia revive the dead OS and upgrade our beLoved N8.
i have suggestion of what i want:
General 4G Network
Display type AMOLED capacitive touchsceen
Size 768x1280, 4.5inch (350 ppi)
Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 3
-Nokia Clear Black Display
Memory Card Slot up to 64GB
Internal 16/32GB, 2 GB RAM, 1 GB ROM
Speed HSDPA, 42.2mbps; HSUPA, 5.76mbps; LTE, Cat3, 50mbps UL, 100mbps DL
WLAN Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual band, DLNA, Wifi Hotspot
Bluetooth Yes, 3.0 with A2DP
USB Yes, Micro USB v2.0
Camera Primary 16MP, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, XENON & LED flash
Features 1/1.2 sensor size, Pureview Technology, geo tagging, face detection, Panorama
Video Yes, 1080p, 4x loss less digital zoom, LED light
Secondary Yes, 1.2MP, 720p@30fps
Features OS Nokia Belle FP2
Chipset Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon
CPU 1.5 Ghz dual core Krait
GPU Adreno 225
Radio Stereo FM Radio with RDS; FM transmitter
Colors Dark Black, White
GPS Yes, with A-GPS support, Ovi Maps 3.0
Java Yes, MIDP 2.1
-TV out (1080p) via HDMI with Dolby Digital plus sound
-Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
-document viewer (word, excel, powerpoint, PDF)
-predictive text input
Battery Standard battery Li-ion 2000mAh
this is my New Years Wish. i hope theres any chance to revive the Symbian.
SimpLy because its the best OS up to now base on my experience on using ALL LEADING OS.
Hi, I'm buying this legendary phone in just three days. So, I would like some professionals to assist me.
1. Does it have a LED flash?
2. Can I play 1080p full HD videos with this phone?
3. Can we use SwiftKey like keyboard on this phone?
4. How is the camera menu like? I mean, what's is the F stop? Do we have options in the settings to configure exposure, sharpness, ISO, vividness
5. What is the lowest and highest ISO level in this phone?
6. Does pressing the shutter key releases the camera even if the phone is locked?
7. Can we make native video calls?
8. Does it have full 16 GB Internal memory?
9. Is there any softwares to flash the software if the phone dies?
10. At what resolutions, we can take pictures?
I know that's a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate their answers. Thanks and have a nice day. ^^,
deepak, 03 Jan 2014in this mobile how to download viber and skype From Nokia Store. They are still there, and free.
Carol, 01 Jan 2014I have the same problem, it is not heavy enough. Excellent reply........ Ha Ha Ha
Anonymous, 24 Dec 2013hello friends, since many months, i am facing issues while logging in skype. Till i insert my ... morefirst of all, u do uninstall the skype apps from mobile, then reinstal skype
I am facing problem in signing in skype. Whenever i insert my name & password & press sign in, skype exits automatically & directly comes the home screen. Its not getting opened. Is any1 else having the same problem? Plz let me know the solution. Thanks in advance.
Kohinoor, 01 Jan 2014my friend have this mobile and she is not satisfied at all beacuse of the weightI have the same problem, it is not heavy enough.
Stupid me, 31 Dec 2013Happy New Year everyone! Here is wishing only wonderful things for you in 2014. May all your w... moreHey, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU TO. God Bless.
So, still don't like the new interface?:)). That's funny....:)). A great new year with all good stuff. Till next time, bye bye.
Kohinoor, 01 Jan 2014my friend have this mobile and she is not satisfied at all beacuse of the weightawesome mobile. i have been using this since nov 2010. Camera is too good.