to all the n91 user
what equaliser are u all using?i m using the pop mode now but it does not seem good.any suggestion to make it perfect.thanks a lot.
How long does the software update procedure take at home .....i am from india and i have frequent light going off problems ...also i want to know when i turn my cell phone on it shows power saving mode . as in 6-7 icons lines up not the full menu mode . how to change it
@ PAPPY ... @ MANGESH
i just switched over from N73 to N 91 .....i just opened the fone from the box ..i am from india mine is N91- 5 without 3g and wifi ......
my software is v1.10 ..is it safe for me to upgrade to latest version at home ???? should i need o format my hard drive before use ????where shud i get a full version of smart movie player ??? also cud u give me some tips for using the fone ???? as in any additional softwares hat i need to install ??
To Adrian Koh
Well to watch movie longer than 1 hour i think u need to upgrade to 2.10.013 firmware.
if that doesnt work try Divx Player (Freeware) for Symbian 9.1 3rd Edition & convert all movies to Divx format saving u space. Also Real Player is crap
USA resident here. I was all ready to buy N912 until I read here about all the technical problems. I figured, "How can a non-techie like me cope?" But now that I hear that the 8gb is coming out, that extra space gives me an extra incentive to work through/live with the bugs. Does anyone have any idea when the 8gb will be available in the USA? I haven't noticed even the 4gb version around here yet. Thanks for your help!
There are also a few tricks to improve batterylife see the tips
thx for the tip Shayn, but i just order a high power 1000mAh bcl-5 battery from us..its CE approved so hopefully it will provide longer life
i have another problem though..i been watchin videos continuosly and i notice after an hour, the video stops and the hard disk cant read files anymore..i have to restart the phone den its ok again
Go to www.series60v3.com and you will get smartmovie cracked with other applications.
I bought N91 last week its realy cool..
I love its sound.....But i am searcing smart movie for my mobile but i didnt got yet plz help me........
TO Adrian koh
If u want better battery life heres a tip from me. Use a BL-6C battery. This battery gives more power n fits into the n91 battery slot without any problems at all.
I get up to 4 - 5 days...
compared to normal BL-5C battery...
oh yea..about the battery problem..n91 battery life is not really good..i haven really tested how long it can run on videos continuosly or music but i think every night u definitely have to charge or maybe one day twice..so i suggest have a few spares
hey haxor, firstley n91 no doubt is a great phone if fully use its capabilities and features..if u are just the guy that uses a phone extensively for calls or sms..this is not an ideal phone..this for me mainly for videos,music,wifi,camera..and guys don forget its a phone!! so for a phone with 4gb and so many features, its just outstanding
some n91 may have problems like hard disk malfunction,etc..so really see your luck really if u happen to get a faulty one den have to send it back ro sumthing..but i can say majority of n91 are just working fine..for the price that i got it from, it just worth it !! i got for brand new one like 160 pounds from ebay including shipment
the price of 4gb n91 is much cheaper now due to it upcoming 8gb n91 which i heard provide better screen resolution and sound i guess
so some might consider the 8gb one if buyin n91 but of course the price would be hefty
nokia n95 is also coming out which is awesome..i bet also a few problems..haha..
but all this smartphones cant really be perfect do they?
as for the w950,w850i vs n91, i would still prefer n91 because of the 4gb,better design and superb sound on the headphones..nokia to me is more user friendly and more convenient to use...i like the full screen feature on n91 when watchin video!! i been using nokia for like the last 8 years..no problem..smartphone really do freezes but what the heck..so? just get use to it..its just a few times a week to me..its normal..even computer freezes sumtimes
to, Adrian Koh
wottt battery Prob. ???????
wow ! evrybdy ! say something bad abt N91 !!
i really wanna buy this... but evrthing is jst confusing me.....
god help me :P
i just got my n91 as well..a few comments of cos..no doubt the battery drain blardy fast so i suggest stock up a few battery and change when it finish..ebay selling cheap
About the firmware thing,it really doesnt matter actually..to me best just stick to the original..Lastly i knoe alot ppl have the problem with the video formats as i have earlier..guess what, i got good news after hours of searching..there is a porgram call super v2000 build19 (search on yahoo)that can convert mp4 files which will play easily on real player...try below to get decent quality
600-800kbps, mpeg4 as codec, 352X260, full stretch, 15-23fps, 128kbps (sound)
u can examine urself for better quality
tips - try increasing the video kbps and
lower the fps..for action type videos
Cheers...the above info will be great for video lovers like me (i have 1000+music videos waiting to put in my 4gb n91 !!)
The 15 tips are now 19:). The internet amazes me..these tips grew and spread and now people can help themselves..how did we survive before it!
regarding sound quality - N91 is in a class by itself. In Stuff magazine this summer N91 beat SE etc.
Note also that sw is upgradable via internet and it is available in India. I believe a regular poster Mangesh is from India and he has upgraded to 2.10 at home. Also I heard that in India they are supposed to set up an Nseries line at the service centres for special fast track service (they have it in singapore apparently) so people who paid alot for the high end devices do not have to wait in long lines...maybe just a rumor
15 Top Tips for N91
Most of these are available via web sites, user guides etc but here is a summary courtesy of our friends at Nokia.
1) PC suite: Always use the latest PC suite. They are always issuing improvements etc. The PC suite issued with the early N91's (6.80.22 SW versions 1.xx N91's) has issues with handling data over 1.5GB etc and should be replaced with 6.81.13 or later. You can get the latest PC suite from http://europe.nokia.com/A4144903, or other local regional sites.
2) PC suite , Nokia Audio Manager: PC suite was designed for phones with 64-512Mbyte cards, not mobile computers with 4GB of memory. It is good for managing contacts, calendar etc but not for managing the content on your HDD (Music, Images, Applications etc). Nokia audio Manager - same comment. Users should avoid using PCsuite/NAM to manage large amounts of content and keep it solely for managing the phones ROM (C drive). Note also when using PC suite do not start running applications (Gallery, etc) during the PC suite session. Use USB mass storage for managing your Music, Movies, Images etc and/or Windows Media Player (for Music). Note also that PC suite runs in the background on your PC so often when you plug in the N91 to use USB mass storage or WMP a pop up comes up saying " PC suite - N91 connected in non compatible mode please change from UI" ignore this (it is only applicable if you want to use PC suite).
3) SW update (refresh) at home: Always use the latest N91 SW (currently 2.00). Like your PC Nokia is always issuing improvements and even new features sometimes (ex: WDRM came with 2.00 sw). The update process is simple and can be done here : www.nokia.co.uk/softwareupdate . This is a UK site however it has all the languages, operator and country variants for the world. Read the "phone sw update FAQ's" there. The updater will recognize the version of your N91 (country, operator) and look for the sw. If there is a new version it will tell you, if not then you have the option of reloading the current sw (ie if you wanted to start "fresh" again) or try later. Do not disconnect, answer/make phone calls etc during the process. It has worked well for thousands of people so far :). I suspect other sites in other languages will roll out eventually if you are uncomfortable doing the process in English. Also if you sw is not there it may be that your operator or country has not approved it yet. Keep trying. You can check you SW version by typing *#0000#.
4) HDD Users Guide : Nokia has now issued a HDD maintenance guide. Go to europe.nokia.com http://europe.nokia.com/A4158095 and select - Get support then from the list of phones select Nokia N91 there select User guides and from the list of languages select English. Then download the PDF. It has data about backing up and restoring (ie when to use PC suite and when no to), SW updates (goes through how to prepare for a sw update ), Themes and other TIPs. Alot of the tips from before seem to be in here. Also copying contacts to HDD has issues with 1.xx sw on GSM only China units (from Blogs), not on WCDMA units. Note WDRM rights will not be saved with a backup-restore (MSFT rules) but usually when you buy a song you get multiple synchs so it is usually not a problems.
5) SMS accelerator : Nokia has issued an application that improves the speed of your SMS messaging. Heavy SMS users have complained about sms messaging getting sluggish over time. This fixes it and keep sms fast. Its recommended that everyone install this and re-install this after any sw update or user reset (e.g. use of *#7370). It is available at http://europe.nokia.com/A4158100
6) Battery Life: If you do not care about WCDMA then in tools/settings/network - switch from DUAL to GSM. Make sure your WLAN "show availability" in Tools/Connection is set to "never". Do not leave Bluetooth On unless you are using it for an accessory. Do not set the HDD as your "memory in use" for messaging (SMS, MMS). HDD is not optimised for messaging. Avoid these fancy 3D active screen savers,
7) Profiles : I just leave the keypad tones off. It seems people in the past had issues with this so just leave them off on profiles. Also using the vibra in profiles that had a short beep as the message or ringtone caused problems with 1.xx SW
8) Messaging Memory: Do not set the HDD as your "memory in use" for messaging (SMS, MMS). In addition to reducing battery life - its slow (HDD buffering is optimized for Video, Music playback), you have to switch back to the phone memory each time you want to use mass storage to connect to PC. In short why keep a bunch of messages on you phone anyhow?
9) Hard resets: If you get you phone into real trouble there are two resets available. Note these should be treated as a SW update (i.e. you will lose data on your phone memory so back it up). Follow the standard backup procedure for you phone before dong this (take a look at the HDD guide TIP section). The first one is *#7370# (Code 12345), it will restore the phones memory and clean it up. If you have managed to get the phone to a state where it will not even boot up then - Press and hold simultaneously Green, 3 and * and then press simultaneously power key.
10) Gallery - When you have loaded new content via USB, after a sw update, hard resets, after removing the battery or the occasional reset the Gallery takes a while to open up (if you have alot of content it could be ~ 5-10 minutes). This is a one-off thing so be patient let it update its database and then after that it should be alot faster. The progress bar is a barber-pole thingy that does not give a very good indication (just spins). Be patient it has not crashed or hung-up just let it finish.
11) "Out of Memory" - The Web browser is great but it does not handle its memory very well. At some point the web browser may issue an "Out of memory" message. This has nothing to do with the HDD memory but rather the RAM memory. Closing applications may help but it seems to work best if you simply power cycle the device (clean up RAM) before using OSS. Each Sw release seems to improve this situation so its another reason to always update to the latest SW.
12) Pausing while playing a song - This happens sometimes when the file has been corrupted somewhat (during ripping, download) etc. Some songs that will play on the PC may pause on the N91. It is rare however it requires the song be ripped again.
13) "HDD unavailable" etc - In older versions of sw it was possible to get this and even with 2.xx it can happen (more rare). Make sure the battery cover is on fully (and its magnet is not damaged - check the little box in the battery cover with a paper clip for the magnet). Make sure USB cable is not connected. Make sure you are not running any applications that are using the HDD. Sometimes 3rd party apps it seems have been found to leave a file open on the HDD even when closed and then this can happen - you may have to uninstall that app. Some apps screw up there databases and it look slike a HDD issue. Finally if none of this works then you may have to do a HDD format, or a SW update/refresh or hard reset to clean out any offending applications.
14) Gallery cant see data, content missing - PC suite can cause this if you were using this for content (PC suite looks like it finished the transfer but you have to look at the correct window in PC suit for progress..another reason why it should not be used for content management). In some cases you need to
15) Common sense and INFO - Some common sense things - do not disconnect USB cable in the middle of a transfer (disconnect properly). Dont try and pop the battery out while accessing the HDD. The HDD can survive drops (in testing dropped >300 times) but if you are determined to abuse the N91 something will break eventually. N91-1 (WCDMA device Silver with light blue for Europe, Dark grey for APAC). N91-5 (GSM for APAC - Silver with light blue), N91 (GSM for China Silver with dark grey). RM43 is a type number for WCDMA units, RM158 is the type number for GSM only units. Yes its a 3G device (with no front facing camera), you can do video calls but it requires some flipping back and forth...the device was not optimised for Video calls (its focus was/is music!). It has WLAN. It supports many different vide codecs etc (go to N91 FAQ and type in video) etc. Read you users Guide and also check:
Support (FAQ etc): http://europe.nokia.com/A4158095 , Support (UK): http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,91861,00.html , Tech discussion board at Nokia (type in N91 in search and sort by latest date etc) : http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discussions/board?board.id=swupdate and finally the N91 page http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.html?lang=en&country=GB#product,n91 . enjoy
Thx PappY !! U Doing Nice Job Here !!! ppl should say u thank u for dis... :)
one more que. abt HDD ? i heard Hard Disk Have lot off Prob. Too.. If Drope D Phone.. u will miss ur HDD 4ever lol is dat true ?
or any kind of Back Cover Prob. Do u knw ?
and i m frm India... Somebody told me u cant Upgrade SW via InterNet... bocz new SW not realesade for INDIA. if u Upgrade This U might have Prob.
thx Pappy :)
It is funny because only N91 has this new chipset that makes sound so good. None of other Nokia phones has it.
HEY Y'ALL, A couple of days ago I asked a question if there is still any music player that could beat in term of sound quality the nokia n91 on Yahoo Answers.
Today I got only one answer who wrote he think nokia 6131 is better than nokia n91!
Isn't that funny!
I know nokia n91 is one of few phones that do reach the high quality mp3 player like IPOD,ZEN etc.
So what do yall think about it?
Comeon,this is really interesting and funny!