The 15 tips are now 19:). The internet amazes me..these tips grew and spread and now people can help themselves..how did we survive before it!
regarding sound quality - N91 is in a class by itself. In Stuff magazine this summer N91 beat SE etc.
Note also that sw is upgradable via internet and it is available in India. I believe a regular poster Mangesh is from India and he has upgraded to 2.10 at home. Also I heard that in India they are supposed to set up an Nseries line at the service centres for special fast track service (they have it in singapore apparently) so people who paid alot for the high end devices do not have to wait in long lines...maybe just a rumor
15 Top Tips for N91
Most of these are available via web sites, user guides etc but here is a summary courtesy of our friends at Nokia.
1) PC suite: Always use the latest PC suite. They are always issuing improvements etc. The PC suite issued with the early N91's (6.80.22 SW versions 1.xx N91's) has issues with handling data over 1.5GB etc and should be replaced with 6.81.13 or later. You can get the latest PC suite from http://europe.nokia.com/A4144903, or other local regional sites.
2) PC suite , Nokia Audio Manager: PC suite was designed for phones with 64-512Mbyte cards, not mobile computers with 4GB of memory. It is good for managing contacts, calendar etc but not for managing the content on your HDD (Music, Images, Applications etc). Nokia audio Manager - same comment. Users should avoid using PCsuite/NAM to manage large amounts of content and keep it solely for managing the phones ROM (C drive). Note also when using PC suite do not start running applications (Gallery, etc) during the PC suite session. Use USB mass storage for managing your Music, Movies, Images etc and/or Windows Media Player (for Music). Note also that PC suite runs in the background on your PC so often when you plug in the N91 to use USB mass storage or WMP a pop up comes up saying " PC suite - N91 connected in non compatible mode please change from UI" ignore this (it is only applicable if you want to use PC suite).
3) SW update (refresh) at home: Always use the latest N91 SW (currently 2.00). Like your PC Nokia is always issuing improvements and even new features sometimes (ex: WDRM came with 2.00 sw). The update process is simple and can be done here : www.nokia.co.uk/softwareupdate . This is a UK site however it has all the languages, operator and country variants for the world. Read the "phone sw update FAQ's" there. The updater will recognize the version of your N91 (country, operator) and look for the sw. If there is a new version it will tell you, if not then you have the option of reloading the current sw (ie if you wanted to start "fresh" again) or try later. Do not disconnect, answer/make phone calls etc during the process. It has worked well for thousands of people so far :). I suspect other sites in other languages will roll out eventually if you are uncomfortable doing the process in English. Also if you sw is not there it may be that your operator or country has not approved it yet. Keep trying. You can check you SW version by typing *#0000#.
4) HDD Users Guide : Nokia has now issued a HDD maintenance guide. Go to europe.nokia.com http://europe.nokia.com/A4158095 and select - Get support then from the list of phones select Nokia N91 there select User guides and from the list of languages select English. Then download the PDF. It has data about backing up and restoring (ie when to use PC suite and when no to), SW updates (goes through how to prepare for a sw update ), Themes and other TIPs. Alot of the tips from before seem to be in here. Also copying contacts to HDD has issues with 1.xx sw on GSM only China units (from Blogs), not on WCDMA units. Note WDRM rights will not be saved with a backup-restore (MSFT rules) but usually when you buy a song you get multiple synchs so it is usually not a problems.
5) SMS accelerator : Nokia has issued an application that improves the speed of your SMS messaging. Heavy SMS users have complained about sms messaging getting sluggish over time. This fixes it and keep sms fast. Its recommended that everyone install this and re-install this after any sw update or user reset (e.g. use of *#7370). It is available at http://europe.nokia.com/A4158100
6) Battery Life: If you do not care about WCDMA then in tools/settings/network - switch from DUAL to GSM. Make sure your WLAN "show availability" in Tools/Connection is set to "never". Do not leave Bluetooth On unless you are using it for an accessory. Do not set the HDD as your "memory in use" for messaging (SMS, MMS). HDD is not optimised for messaging. Avoid these fancy 3D active screen savers,
7) Profiles : I just leave the keypad tones off. It seems people in the past had issues with this so just leave them off on profiles. Also using the vibra in profiles that had a short beep as the message or ringtone caused problems with 1.xx SW
8) Messaging Memory: Do not set the HDD as your "memory in use" for messaging (SMS, MMS). In addition to reducing battery life - its slow (HDD buffering is optimized for Video, Music playback), you have to switch back to the phone memory each time you want to use mass storage to connect to PC. In short why keep a bunch of messages on you phone anyhow?
9) Hard resets: If you get you phone into real trouble there are two resets available. Note these should be treated as a SW update (i.e. you will lose data on your phone memory so back it up). Follow the standard backup procedure for you phone before dong this (take a look at the HDD guide TIP section). The first one is *#7370# (Code 12345), it will restore the phones memory and clean it up. If you have managed to get the phone to a state where it will not even boot up then - Press and hold simultaneously Green, 3 and * and then press simultaneously power key.
10) Gallery - When you have loaded new content via USB, after a sw update, hard resets, after removing the battery or the occasional reset the Gallery takes a while to open up (if you have alot of content it could be ~ 5-10 minutes). This is a one-off thing so be patient let it update its database and then after that it should be alot faster. The progress bar is a barber-pole thingy that does not give a very good indication (just spins). Be patient it has not crashed or hung-up just let it finish.
11) "Out of Memory" - The Web browser is great but it does not handle its memory very well. At some point the web browser may issue an "Out of memory" message. This has nothing to do with the HDD memory but rather the RAM memory. Closing applications may help but it seems to work best if you simply power cycle the device (clean up RAM) before using OSS. Each Sw release seems to improve this situation so its another reason to always update to the latest SW.
12) Pausing while playing a song - This happens sometimes when the file has been corrupted somewhat (during ripping, download) etc. Some songs that will play on the PC may pause on the N91. It is rare however it requires the song be ripped again.
13) "HDD unavailable" etc - In older versions of sw it was possible to get this and even with 2.xx it can happen (more rare). Make sure the battery cover is on fully (and its magnet is not damaged - check the little box in the battery cover with a paper clip for the magnet). Make sure USB cable is not connected. Make sure you are not running any applications that are using the HDD. Sometimes 3rd party apps it seems have been found to leave a file open on the HDD even when closed and then this can happen - you may have to uninstall that app. Some apps screw up there databases and it look slike a HDD issue. Finally if none of this works then you may have to do a HDD format, or a SW update/refresh or hard reset to clean out any offending applications.
14) Gallery cant see data, content missing - PC suite can cause this if you were using this for content (PC suite looks like it finished the transfer but you have to look at the correct window in PC suit for progress..another reason why it should not be used for content management). In some cases you need to
15) Common sense and INFO - Some common sense things - do not disconnect USB cable in the middle of a transfer (disconnect properly). Dont try and pop the battery out while accessing the HDD. The HDD can survive drops (in testing dropped >300 times) but if you are determined to abuse the N91 something will break eventually. N91-1 (WCDMA device Silver with light blue for Europe, Dark grey for APAC). N91-5 (GSM for APAC - Silver with light blue), N91 (GSM for China Silver with dark grey). RM43 is a type number for WCDMA units, RM158 is the type number for GSM only units. Yes its a 3G device (with no front facing camera), you can do video calls but it requires some flipping back and forth...the device was not optimised for Video calls (its focus was/is music!). It has WLAN. It supports many different vide codecs etc (go to N91 FAQ and type in video) etc. Read you users Guide and also check:
Support (FAQ etc): http://europe.nokia.com/A4158095 , Support (UK): http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,91861,00.html , Tech discussion board at Nokia (type in N91 in search and sort by latest date etc) : http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discussions/board?board.id=swupdate and finally the N91 page http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.html?lang=en&country=GB#product,n91 . enjoy
Thx PappY !! U Doing Nice Job Here !!! ppl should say u thank u for dis... :)
one more que. abt HDD ? i heard Hard Disk Have lot off Prob. Too.. If Drope D Phone.. u will miss ur HDD 4ever lol is dat true ?
or any kind of Back Cover Prob. Do u knw ?
and i m frm India... Somebody told me u cant Upgrade SW via InterNet... bocz new SW not realesade for INDIA. if u Upgrade This U might have Prob.
thx Pappy :)
It is funny because only N91 has this new chipset that makes sound so good. None of other Nokia phones has it.
HEY Y'ALL, A couple of days ago I asked a question if there is still any music player that could beat in term of sound quality the nokia n91 on Yahoo Answers.
Today I got only one answer who wrote he think nokia 6131 is better than nokia n91!
Isn't that funny!
I know nokia n91 is one of few phones that do reach the high quality mp3 player like IPOD,ZEN etc.
So what do yall think about it?
Comeon,this is really interesting and funny!
To answer the question about N91-1 having the capability of video call...
I am from Philippines and 3G is available here. I used mine from time to time for video call. You can say that its quite awkward and funny flipping back and forth just for you to see the other and vice versa. But I can live with it because I bought it in the first place for music (and I was not disappointed in this area), other bonus features are all icing in the cake.
yes but you may forget what computers were like 5-6 years ago. very few had processors over 130 MHz and 64 MB RAM was standard. The cellphone industry is tracking the computer industry history. Hopefully avoiding most of the pitfalls. I think the comparison is pretty close and I expect them to follow the same pattern more or less so eventually you will get your wish
Love the look of this handset, want it soooooo bad but it is just so bulky, is it as heavy as it looks? Got N70 bit disappointed as it keeps turning off and freezing had software update but still struggling! Really would like to know how it peforms.
Your thought is welcomed.
But still ya cannot compare such a thing that has only 201-220 MHz processor with 4 gigabyte space to the computers.
So the point is Nokia should start making smartphones with over 350 MHz processor with sufficient storage and usage of RAM and ROM with class processor manufacturers (not that Texus Instruments!)
and then we the people will truly beat the hell of that devices with different kinds of applications with ease.
To kristian - Your product code 0535747
is the same as mine (UK) so I dont understand why you cannot upgrade.
To korngear- I do not want to defend Nokia or SE or MOTO or any Cell phone manufacture but i look at these devices now as computers. You can test the hell out of them in the lab but its not the same as having over a million people beat the hell out of them using them in all kinds of different ways with different applications. The computer industryt learned this. I bet 2.10 would not have half the improvements if people (like you) did not report them. What perhaps Nokia, Moto should do is more like the computer world launch a device with BETA software on it. It costs 200 euros less and people get a free upgrade when the BETA goes to the next level. They could even offer a reward for users who report back the most new bugs...free phone, etc. Just a thought :)
Note you can make a video call with the N91-1 but with only one camera you do a lot of flipping...is useful if you receive an incoming call or call up a video call serviuce that has a video feed.
The NOKIA N91's SW number could not be understood by having a look on the back of the phone!If anyone wants so plze flip it over and type *#0000# and then, I request if their sw version 1.xx.xxx or even 2.00.052 plz upgrade it to 2.10.043.I think nokia should have done this before they would have realese this set.And so pages over pages could not be wasted to discuss abnormally vastly about this sw issue.
There is no final sw version.It is aparent.So whenever a new sw is published plz upgrade to it.Becoz it is 100 times better than sitting alone to wait for the FINAL (!) VERSION.
Many try to compare N73 and N91.bUT LOOK,THISIS ANOTHER STRATEGY OF NOKIA TO HANDLE 2 PHONES AT A SAME TIME!According to the CEO of nokia the N7xs are ment to use for mass-who wants all the things in one device.
On the other hand the 9xs are for particularly different use.Such as N92's TV Broadcast,N93's VideoCam and finally TheN91's music.Infact the 9xs are more appropriate for thoze who have different purposes to use their phones.
So consider yourself-what ya want all in one of N73 or specially the music of The N91.
N91,I again tell you is capable of 3G but only for enhance the data transfer i.e. EDGE
but it does not make video call no matter what model number ya have,N91-1 or N91-5
Finally discuss something new that could enrich N91 at its highest capacity.
Hope the 8 Giga version could have more (over 300 MHz) processor rate.
Theze are just opinions by experiance,not to offend anybody.
Do YAr Best!!!!
I like this series Nokia n91
How many software are there for Nokia n91?
Can i download it?
or I must buy from you.
Which web site can i see it?
I hope i were heard from you as soon as possible.
Hey man, lately I've had some bugs using my device and I do believe the sw has something to do with them.
On the back of my phone it says:
FCC ID QEYRM-43
So can any of this help understanding why I can't upgrade my sw?
can tis phone make video call even it dun hv second camera?
i also consider either buy tis phone o N73...
Hello Pappy and everyone!
Actually I'm not going to upgrade my phone's sw yet at this point. I have collected and stored so many
stuff in my device and it's hard to do that all over again. Just want to know if 2.10 is the final version.. If not, well I guess I'll have to wait for the final version to be released or anything and maybe finally upgrade. And besides, my phone's "behavior" is getting better,,the frequent hangings are diminished.. There's something I noticed. I installed Y-browser (file manager) to explore N91's system files and it's almost entirely different from my S60 2nd edition phone. There are so many unfamiliar directories in the system and I noticed that the fonts in the drive z have a ttf file extension instead of gdr. The combination of fonts is terrific. However, the smallest are not so legible especially the ones used in browsing. Lastly, please tell me where do you get your themes for your N91 aside from mobile9.com? Thanks..
Can someone give me a link to a site where I might find the fimrware changelogs for N91?????
I would really appriciate it!! :D
To Haxor - I bet your friend had experienced an N91 with the 1.00 sw. Its a different device now so I say go for it! (with 2.10 sw. Also tell your freind that he can take the stock of phones we has and update them to 2.10 using his own computer and then sell them in his shop. (although he ust already know that)
To Mangesh - My friend things alway seem to be a struggle :). Ok first off did you reformat your HDD and reinstall all the applications from scratch (is did not just drag and drop installed files back on to HDD). You need to do that or you will have weird effects. Note that there was what they cann a "binary break" in 2.00 that prevented some applications from working but also allowed some that should not have been permitted to work work. This may explain your themes (also do not run theme from HDD see Tips). The hanging when pressing menu - I believe it is related to appliactions not be cleanly uninstalled etc. You may have to clan the devive with a 7370 soft rest and HDD format.
AAron - I believe the sms acclerator is the same for all models so it should be okay. Did you update to 2.10 yet? What sw are you on? (do *#0000#) As for thr RAM well the 2.10 browser was a bit better but yes the browser is a RAM pig and basically if you want to start a browsing session its best to power cycle the device. (you do not need to take the battery out unless maybe you are using very old sw)
Dee - Im not sure what you mean. I have no issues with songs howver note that the N91's soind is so clear that you can start hearing things that you could not hear on the PC or CD (On tears for Fears song you can here them knock over something while recording!)
Nitin - What do you mean. Do you mean plug your TV to the device? Only the N93 allows for that and its TV out
I want to know if i can use customized fonts on Nokia N91 like on N73. Can be font changed on n91 or not?
can anyone tell me that CAN we RUN video IN TV Via N 91 like N73??????if yes then is there any wire for it in market?
I Luv Dis Phone... Yesterday i Went Nokia Gallery... Owner is my Frds cousin he told me dnt buy dis phone bcoz its really bad, too many problem in dis phone n blah blah blah.. now i m thinking ill buy n72 or n73... is dis phone really bad ? i m music luver !! any suggetion for gud music phone who give lot off capacity for music etc. etc..