Top Tips for N91
1) PC suite: Always use the latest PC suite. You can get the latest PC suite from http://europe.nokia.com/A4144903, or other local regional sites.
2) PC suite , Nokia Audio Manager: PC suite is not really optimized for mobile computers with 4GB of memory. It is good for managing contacts, calendar etc but not for managing the content on your HDD (Music, Images, Applications etc). Nokia audio Manager - same comment. Users should avoid using PCsuite/NAM to manage large amounts of content and keep it solely for managing the phones ROM (C drive). Note also when using PC suite do not start running applications (Gallery, etc) during the PC suite session. Use USB mass storage for managing your Music, Movies, Images etc and/or Windows Media Player (for Music).
3) SW update (refresh) at home: Always use the latest N91 SW. Like your PC Nokia is always issuing improvements and even new features sometimes (ex: WDRM came with 2.00 sw). The update process is simple and can be done here : www.nokia.co.uk/softwareupdate . This is a UK site however it has all the languages, operator and country variants for the world. Read the "phone sw update FAQ's" there. The updater will recognize the version of your N91 (country, operator) and look for the sw. If there is a new version it will tell you, if not then you have the option of reloading the current sw (ie if you wanted to start "fresh" again) or try later. Do not disconnect, answer/make phone calls etc during the process. Also if you sw is not there it may be that your operator or country has not approved it yet. Keep trying. You can check you SW version by typing *#0000#.
4) HDD Users Guide : Nokia has now issued a HDD maintenance guide. Go to europe.nokia.com http://europe.nokia.com/A4158095 and select - Get support then from the list of phones select Nokia N91 there select User guides and from the list of languages select English. Then download the PDF. It has data about backing up and restoring (ie when to use PC suite and when no to), SW updates (goes through how to prepare for a sw update ), Themes and other TIPs. Alot of the tips from before seem to be in here.It outlines that you shoud not save themes, wallpaper on the HDD etc..
5) SMS accelerator : Nokia has issued an application that improves the speed of your SMS messaging. If you are using a Sw version earlier than 2.10 then Its recommended that you install this and re-install this after user reset (e.g. use of *#7370). This is a small backround application that you will not see on your desktop or by a long press on the menu key. You can see it in the app manager as installed. It is available at http://europe.nokia.com/A4158100
6) Battery Life: If you do not care about WCDMA then in tools/settings/network - switch from DUAL to GSM. Make sure your WLAN "show availability" in Tools/Connection is set to "never". Do not leave Bluetooth On unless you are using it for an accessory. Do not set the HDD as your "memory in use" for messaging (SMS, MMS). HDD is not optimised for messaging. Avoid these fancy 3D active screen savers etc.
7) Profiles : It is recommended that you leave keypad tones off. . Also using the vibra in profiles that had a short beep as the message or ringtone caused problems with older 1.xx sw.
8) Messaging Memory: Do not set the HDD as your "memory in use" for messaging (SMS, MMS). In addition to reducing battery life - its slow (HDD buffering is optimized for Video, Music playback).
9) Hard resets: If you get you phone into real trouble there are two resets available. Note these should be treated as a SW update (i.e. you will lose data on your phone memory so back it up). Follow the standard backup procedure for you phone before dong this (take a look at the HDD guide TIP section). The first one is *#7370# (Code 12345), it will restore the phones memory and clean it up. If you have managed to get the phone to a state where it will not even boot up then - Press and hold simultaneously Green, 3 and * and then press simultaneously power key.
10) Gallery - It may appear that the hard drive is running slowly when opening Gallery for the first time after loading a sizeable amount of content onto the hard drive or replacing the battery. Subsequent gallery access should be faster. The device has not hung-up so be patient. During this time frame, the phone may be slow to respond to user input or the phone may indicate hard drive is In use when connecting to USB Mass Storage mode.
11) "Out of Memory, Memory Full" - At some point the web browser may issue an "Out of memory" message. This has nothing to do with the HDD memory but rather the RAM memory. Closing applications may help but it seems to work best if you simply power cycle the device (clean up RAM) before using OSS or any other applications that give sthis message. Each Sw release seems to improve this situation so its another reason to always update to the latest SW.
12) Pausing while playing a song - This happens sometimes when the file has been corrupted somewhat (during ripping, download) etc. Some songs that will play on the PC may pause on the N91. Also this can happen if you have ripped your songs at a very high rate above (example MP3 VBR at 320 kbps).
13) "HDD unavailable" etc - In older versions of sw it was possible to get this and even with 2.xx it can happen (more rare). Make sure the battery cover is on fully (and its magnet is not damaged - check the little box in the battery cover with a paper clip for the magnet). Make sure USB cable is not connected. Make sure you are not running any applications that are using the HDD. Sometimes 3rd party apps it seems have been found to leave a file open on the HDD even when closed and then this can happen - you may have to uninstall that app. Some apps screw up there databases and it look slike a HDD issue but its not. Finally if none of this works then you may have to do a HDD format, or a SW update/refresh or hard reset to clean out any offending applications.
14) Gallery cant see data, content missing - PC suite can cause this if you were using this for content (PC suite looks like it finished the transfer but you have to look at the correct window in PC suit for progress..another reason why it should not be used for content management). In some cases you need to reload the sw or hard reset.
15) Common sense and INFO - Some common sense things - do not disconnect USB cable in the middle of a transfer (disconnect properly). Dont try and pop the battery out while accessing the HDD. The HDD can survive drops (in testing dropped >300 times) but if you are determined to abuse the N91 something will break eventually. N91-1 (WCDMA device Silver with light blue for Europe, Dark grey for APAC). N91-5 (GSM, No WLAN for APAC - Silver with light blue), N91 (GSM, No WLAN for China Silver with dark grey). RM43 is a type number for WCDMA units, RM158 is the type number for GSM only units. Yes its a 3G device (with no front facing camera), you can do video calls but it requires some flipping back and forth...the device was not optimised for Video calls (its focus was/is music!). WCDMA versions have WLAN. It takes about 60 sec to boot up. It supports many different video codecs etc (go to N91 FAQ and type in video) etc. Read you users Guide and also check: Support (FAQ etc): http://europe.nokia.com/A4158095
16) Full format - You can initate a full format from the HDD utilities and it is always recommended to use a charger. The full format process takes time and at the beginning the progress bar may appear to stopped but it is not. If you interrupt the full format by power cycling, battery going low then please ensure that you initiate a full format (not a quick format) and let it complete. Using quick format immediately after an aborted full format may cause unpredictable behaviour.
17) Managing Windows DRM protected songs - The sw update sequence is almost identical to what is outlined previously however the difference is that when restoring your songs on the device a user should not just copy them back but rather use MTP in order to synch the DRM rights properly. If this is not done then the song will be in the device but will not play.Re-synch WMDRM files using MTP (this is the only way to get WM-DRM licenses on to the phone)
18) File Management - The N91 , like a computer using FAT32, is designed to handle many files and folders. However like a computer there are performance issues related to having too many files within a single folder. Data and directory organization has an effect on performance. Windows Media Player by default typically divides songs up into folders by artist, album etc however when using other methods (eg USB mass storage drag and drop, or PC suite) a user should avoid having too many files in any given folder. Large numbers of files within a single folder can cause unpredictable behaviour in some applications. This does not mean the device cannot handle thousands of files and many Gigabytes of content in folders (eg in the Music, MyMusic folders etc) but rather within these folders users should manage their files using sub folders. It is recommended that no single folder by itself has more than 50 files/folders of content (Images, Music, Videos etc). Users should expect slight performance degradation when going over this number and severe performance degradation if they have an significant number of files in a single directory/folder.
Should i use the Earphones that came with my ipod for my N91.....would they be better than the included headset?
Go for W950i...it beeaattts N91 hands downn...I had a N91, lots of issues with it...sold it for 18000rs, got a w950i for 23000, brill phone...nokia do somethingggg
N91 Update User advice
Hi - Here is a link that works. This is a link to the 15 users tiops I posted that someone added som good info to (now there are 10 tips)
You may have ti copy and past this into your browser:
USER ADVICE (again)
Hi remember to update the sw to 2.10 (even if the sw for your country/operato was not there last time you tried - try again)
Here are the TIPS
Alex: You need to install the sms accelerator. user teh search box below and serach for User advice and it will bring up the post that has the link to the sis fila you can install to solve your problem (or just upgrade to 2.10)
Valentino: Actually there is nothing wrong with the HDD. If you format using the PC you mist ensure that it completes and that you use FAT32. If you would just fornat using the device it should solve the problem. Swapping the HDD i guess will "solve it" but if you format again using the PC and choose the wrong format it will just happen again. Note the companies Nokia hires to runs the service centres locally get paid a % on top of the repair. Its always in their favour to replace the expensive parts so they make more money . The problem is it takes a long time.
Yes pappy, i tryed to format the hdd from my computer, but it stopped at 80%... i was at my dealer for warranty, and looks like i`m one in a million, my hdd is not responing anymore, without any reason... they said that hdd can be changed... i heard a new version with 8gb is avaible... should i tell them to put me a 8gb microdrive? can i have problems if i change the hdd size?
why my n91 take over 1 minute to send a text message!!!!!!!!??????????????
1) Just curious - what cause you to use 7370?
Also why not move on to 2.10? If you stay on 2.00 then make sure ou re-install the sms accelerator application (see the user advice)
2) Yeah disconnecting it may have caused an issue (you may have an incomplete backup). I do however think you should always use the lates PC suite.
3) Forthe future - If you dont care about synching you outlook calander and you dont mind re-installing any apps you installed on the phone (whic you should do anyway) then I suggest backing up your contacts on the HDD from now on. That is in contacts just mark all and copy to HDD. In the folder "Other" on the HDD it creates a folder called contacts. You can then just drag and drop using USB MAss storage to the PC
I back up only phone memory, hardly its near about 8 to 10 mb.its taking longer time to restore as i said before,actyally i twicely disconnect the cable during the restoring the data.thats why its happening?.I reinstalled pc suit again but i face same problem. I just want to ask u can i use older version of pc suit which is supplied with the box?. I have 2.00 version of sw so is it any compulsion to use only latest pc suit 6.80 version?. thanks.
Mangesh did you backup your phone memory only or did you do the phone memory and HDD. Its not recommended to do the HDD memory. PC suite is pretty slow so if you did the whole HDD it could take longer than 30 minutes.
i m facing a new problem yesterday unfortunately i m trying to fix the bug of my phone memory thats why i hit *#7370# code 12345and my phone memory is cleaned up,i did a back up before but while restoring this all data its taking near abut half an hour to restore .is it anything wrong with pc suite 6.81 or with my phone?. thanks brother
hy all....i have an n91....the sound in headphoes is brilliant but without headphones the sound is very weak :(((...what can i do ??i need another mp3 player or what? i beg u all help me....
Can Anyone please tell me where can i DOWNLOAD N91 THEMES?!! those that have the .SISX file extension.. I even went to cellphone shops and stores that offer applications and downloads with charge and nothing happened..
PPS: Derrick remember install themes in the C drive (dont use a theme on the HDD as your active theme)
PS Derrick. About the video issue. Dos it work fine if you power the phone on and off (I bet it does). I think sometimes if a lot of things are happening in the backround etc Real player gets confused.
Happy Dilwali mangesh.
Derrick - Hi you can download theme using the service browser. Also just google S60 3.0 themes. There was actually nothing wrong with the sw before in this area - S60 3.0 requires SISX files (Symbian launched a secure O/S)
Valentino - Did you use the PC to format the HDD?
I already upgraded my N91 to Version 2.0 and its really working fine but after a while I noticed that some of the videos I have downloaded refuses to play / open? Its unusual It says " unable to play media clip " and sometimes when it does play / open, the video is distorted. What can cause this problem? I mean I dont have problems like this before
Also, I read somewhere that Nokia performed "Altitude Drop Tests" for the N91 and its HDD, can this units survive hard drops? do you have experience on this pappy.
One last thing, I have checked all the downloadable themes on Mobile 9.com and it didnt work on the N-91 since this unit doesnt support .SIS file extension.. where can I find themes for this unit? the pre-installed themes are boring. I was under the impression that after the upgrade, themes are more accessible and can be download easily.
Dude I need your advice. Thanks and More Power!