this n91 has the best music and sound only problem is the picture quality. its so convienant and so luxury,,i get soo many complements compare to the 8800 or the n80
Hi friends u can clears everything off the phone memory!! Be sure to back up your contacts..
*#7370# then Yes
after using this CODE u will have fresh MObile back>>>
im having N91 That's good mobile but camera is not good >>>2 MP Sucks
anythin wanna know mail me>
royboy, you can have music for text and alarm, have to copy over to phone memory
there are a million problems with the n91 that i have, and as far as i know any one who has bought this handset is of the same openion.....
Please do not buy...
Its very simple if ur first priority is a music then surely go for n 91 becauze i strongly beleive that no any other music phone can produce great quality of music like n91. If ur priority is a photography then go for n73, it 's a very nice camera phone .as well as n91 have a good 2 mp camera.also have a wifi connectivity,all round n91 is a smartphone than n73
cannot believe you cant use stored music as your message alert tone or even your alarm clock tone - contacted nokia and they said we will talk you thru it and went "oh you are right ,you cant do it"
i love it,but!!,just!!!why there is no flash?like n90 or n93!,and,whyyyyyyy it take over 1 minute to send a sms!!!?
Is There A FREE Video player for the N91, because realplayer sucks and smartmovie isn't free?
And whats the proper settings to encode on the N91?
to dee. go here and download the sms program http://europe.nokia.com/A4158100
Thanks someone for posting the list. MTP is Media Transfer Protocol (Google it :)). It is what Microsoft uses to talk to devices and transfer Playlists, songs, DRM rights.
The out of memory is the RAM not the ROM or HDD RAM = Random access memory that teh phone uses in real time to run programs etc. The problem is that is some apps do not "give back their RAM' even after you closed them (which I am ceratin many do not - just open up every app and close it on the N91 or N80 and comare how fast it takes to hit "memory full" versus powering thedevice off and on then time it.
It seems its like a PC - If youleave your pC on form weeks and weeks you will start to see it may run slower etc. I think we need to poser cycle the N91 occaisionally and in particular before you start an APP (ege browser) that you notice runs into this problem.
I would suggest that if you do not plan to upgrade tp 2.10 yet then at least install the sms accelerator
1) Can Someone(or someone) explain item no. 17? (what is MTP?)
2) I have the 2.00.052 firmware version in my N91. Everything has worked as expected so far, except that I frequently get "out of the memory-please close some apps" pop-up. Even when trying to handle simple tasks, like using Quickword (and I haven't stored any of my music yet, just a few pictures on the HDD). At the same time, when I long-press the Menu button to see active apps, there's only two apps running : The Blackballer (call manager - 150 kb only!) and the Music player - (which BTW can't be cancelled at all - no matter what I try!!). Any tips how to resolve the memory issue?
3. The camera is a pleasant surprise! Far from perfect of course, but even in poor light conditions I managed to get reasonable stills (that can be additionally improved with some light editing with MPE)
Top Tips for N91
1) PC suite: Always use the latest PC suite. You can get the latest PC suite from http://europe.nokia.com/A4144903, or other local regional sites.
2) PC suite , Nokia Audio Manager: PC suite is not really optimized for mobile computers with 4GB of memory. It is good for managing contacts, calendar etc but not for managing the content on your HDD (Music, Images, Applications etc). Nokia audio Manager - same comment. Users should avoid using PCsuite/NAM to manage large amounts of content and keep it solely for managing the phones ROM (C drive). Note also when using PC suite do not start running applications (Gallery, etc) during the PC suite session. Use USB mass storage for managing your Music, Movies, Images etc and/or Windows Media Player (for Music).
3) SW update (refresh) at home: Always use the latest N91 SW. Like your PC Nokia is always issuing improvements and even new features sometimes (ex: WDRM came with 2.00 sw). The update process is simple and can be done here : www.nokia.co.uk/softwareupdate . This is a UK site however it has all the languages, operator and country variants for the world. Read the "phone sw update FAQ's" there. The updater will recognize the version of your N91 (country, operator) and look for the sw. If there is a new version it will tell you, if not then you have the option of reloading the current sw (ie if you wanted to start "fresh" again) or try later. Do not disconnect, answer/make phone calls etc during the process. Also if you sw is not there it may be that your operator or country has not approved it yet. Keep trying. You can check you SW version by typing *#0000#.
4) HDD Users Guide : Nokia has now issued a HDD maintenance guide. Go to europe.nokia.com http://europe.nokia.com/A4158095 and select - Get support then from the list of phones select Nokia N91 there select User guides and from the list of languages select English. Then download the PDF. It has data about backing up and restoring (ie when to use PC suite and when no to), SW updates (goes through how to prepare for a sw update ), Themes and other TIPs. Alot of the tips from before seem to be in here.It outlines that you shoud not save themes, wallpaper on the HDD etc..
5) SMS accelerator : Nokia has issued an application that improves the speed of your SMS messaging. If you are using a Sw version earlier than 2.10 then Its recommended that you install this and re-install this after user reset (e.g. use of *#7370). This is a small backround application that you will not see on your desktop or by a long press on the menu key. You can see it in the app manager as installed. It is available at http://europe.nokia.com/A4158100
6) Battery Life: If you do not care about WCDMA then in tools/settings/network - switch from DUAL to GSM. Make sure your WLAN "show availability" in Tools/Connection is set to "never". Do not leave Bluetooth On unless you are using it for an accessory. Do not set the HDD as your "memory in use" for messaging (SMS, MMS). HDD is not optimised for messaging. Avoid these fancy 3D active screen savers etc.
7) Profiles : It is recommended that you leave keypad tones off. . Also using the vibra in profiles that had a short beep as the message or ringtone caused problems with older 1.xx sw.
8) Messaging Memory: Do not set the HDD as your "memory in use" for messaging (SMS, MMS). In addition to reducing battery life - its slow (HDD buffering is optimized for Video, Music playback).
9) Hard resets: If you get you phone into real trouble there are two resets available. Note these should be treated as a SW update (i.e. you will lose data on your phone memory so back it up). Follow the standard backup procedure for you phone before dong this (take a look at the HDD guide TIP section). The first one is *#7370# (Code 12345), it will restore the phones memory and clean it up. If you have managed to get the phone to a state where it will not even boot up then - Press and hold simultaneously Green, 3 and * and then press simultaneously power key.
10) Gallery - It may appear that the hard drive is running slowly when opening Gallery for the first time after loading a sizeable amount of content onto the hard drive or replacing the battery. Subsequent gallery access should be faster. The device has not hung-up so be patient. During this time frame, the phone may be slow to respond to user input or the phone may indicate hard drive is In use when connecting to USB Mass Storage mode.
11) "Out of Memory, Memory Full" - At some point the web browser may issue an "Out of memory" message. This has nothing to do with the HDD memory but rather the RAM memory. Closing applications may help but it seems to work best if you simply power cycle the device (clean up RAM) before using OSS or any other applications that give sthis message. Each Sw release seems to improve this situation so its another reason to always update to the latest SW.
12) Pausing while playing a song - This happens sometimes when the file has been corrupted somewhat (during ripping, download) etc. Some songs that will play on the PC may pause on the N91. Also this can happen if you have ripped your songs at a very high rate above (example MP3 VBR at 320 kbps).
13) "HDD unavailable" etc - In older versions of sw it was possible to get this and even with 2.xx it can happen (more rare). Make sure the battery cover is on fully (and its magnet is not damaged - check the little box in the battery cover with a paper clip for the magnet). Make sure USB cable is not connected. Make sure you are not running any applications that are using the HDD. Sometimes 3rd party apps it seems have been found to leave a file open on the HDD even when closed and then this can happen - you may have to uninstall that app. Some apps screw up there databases and it look slike a HDD issue but its not. Finally if none of this works then you may have to do a HDD format, or a SW update/refresh or hard reset to clean out any offending applications.
14) Gallery cant see data, content missing - PC suite can cause this if you were using this for content (PC suite looks like it finished the transfer but you have to look at the correct window in PC suit for progress..another reason why it should not be used for content management). In some cases you need to reload the sw or hard reset.
15) Common sense and INFO - Some common sense things - do not disconnect USB cable in the middle of a transfer (disconnect properly). Dont try and pop the battery out while accessing the HDD. The HDD can survive drops (in testing dropped >300 times) but if you are determined to abuse the N91 something will break eventually. N91-1 (WCDMA device Silver with light blue for Europe, Dark grey for APAC). N91-5 (GSM, No WLAN for APAC - Silver with light blue), N91 (GSM, No WLAN for China Silver with dark grey). RM43 is a type number for WCDMA units, RM158 is the type number for GSM only units. Yes its a 3G device (with no front facing camera), you can do video calls but it requires some flipping back and forth...the device was not optimised for Video calls (its focus was/is music!). WCDMA versions have WLAN. It takes about 60 sec to boot up. It supports many different video codecs etc (go to N91 FAQ and type in video) etc. Read you users Guide and also check: Support (FAQ etc): http://europe.nokia.com/A4158095
16) Full format - You can initate a full format from the HDD utilities and it is always recommended to use a charger. The full format process takes time and at the beginning the progress bar may appear to stopped but it is not. If you interrupt the full format by power cycling, battery going low then please ensure that you initiate a full format (not a quick format) and let it complete. Using quick format immediately after an aborted full format may cause unpredictable behaviour.
17) Managing Windows DRM protected songs - The sw update sequence is almost identical to what is outlined previously however the difference is that when restoring your songs on the device a user should not just copy them back but rather use MTP in order to synch the DRM rights properly. If this is not done then the song will be in the device but will not play.Re-synch WMDRM files using MTP (this is the only way to get WM-DRM licenses on to the phone)
18) File Management - The N91 , like a computer using FAT32, is designed to handle many files and folders. However like a computer there are performance issues related to having too many files within a single folder. Data and directory organization has an effect on performance. Windows Media Player by default typically divides songs up into folders by artist, album etc however when using other methods (eg USB mass storage drag and drop, or PC suite) a user should avoid having too many files in any given folder. Large numbers of files within a single folder can cause unpredictable behaviour in some applications. This does not mean the device cannot handle thousands of files and many Gigabytes of content in folders (eg in the Music, MyMusic folders etc) but rather within these folders users should manage their files using sub folders. It is recommended that no single folder by itself has more than 50 files/folders of content (Images, Music, Videos etc). Users should expect slight performance degradation when going over this number and severe performance degradation if they have an significant number of files in a single directory/folder.
Should i use the Earphones that came with my ipod for my N91.....would they be better than the included headset?
Go for W950i...it beeaattts N91 hands downn...I had a N91, lots of issues with it...sold it for 18000rs, got a w950i for 23000, brill phone...nokia do somethingggg
N91 Update User advice
Hi - Here is a link that works. This is a link to the 15 users tiops I posted that someone added som good info to (now there are 10 tips)
You may have ti copy and past this into your browser: