Less than a month has passed since the Nokia N97 hit the shelves and here comes its first official firmware update. Bringing a whole load of bugfixes this new firmware should have a pretty positive impact on user experience.
The new version of the N97 firmware is already available in several countries with worldwide availability coming in the following days. So if you are a proud owner of a shiny N97 you might check out if it's already available for you.
According to Nokia, the most significant fixes that the new firmware brings are in the software stability, especially email, imaging, USB detection, widget stability and display transitions. We also noticed that the Ovi client is automatically installed to encourage users to use Nokia's side project.
You can get the new firmware as a FOTA update or you can rely on the good old Nokia Software updater and download and apply it through USB connection.
Here goes the changelog of the Nokia N97 latest firmware:
New applications added
- Ovi store client now embedded in the core system image
USB detection error fix
- PC does not detect N97 or USB charging connection not detected.
- Home screen online/offline widget crash fix
- Fix for "Alphabetical and Number input are mixed in facebook until end key is pressed.
- Widget UI improvement - New facebook widget fixes a problem of Home Screen background visible on soft-key area.
- Browser fixes to improve widgets stability.
MfE related fixes
- Partial fix for Messaging/calendar entry lost.
- Mail for exchange calendar entry synchronization error fix.
UI transition error fixes
- UI transition (Slowness and bad effects)
- Slow Touch UI response
- Picture of the device lock appears half of the screen when transitioning the UI sometimes
- Landscape: in some cases the soft buttons on touch (right hand) show the Home Screen in background (install maps.google.com)
Photos thumbnail performance and stability improvements
- Device performance deteriorates when lots of content in the device - especially photos
- Partial fix no display backlight illumination when unlocking lock-key - CAP Genius reported already
- New version of AccuWeather to improve the "Connection error" situation
- Device reset when browsing with high speed packet access (for Malaysia )
- "Browser soft key UI doesn't work after putting Chinese character with qwerty keyboard"
- Java fixes (TCK, Pre-install app disappearing, *#7370#*)
- Operator fixes (CMCC, Hutchson and Telefonica, Vodafone )