Please read www.howardforums.com and www.ppcsg.com for more on Users reviews regarding the 02 atom.
I know allot of emotions are flying atm. And if this is the case I suggest you attention them to www.seeo2.com/support/template/ContactUs.vm
Email the support team in a professional manner and in full sentence detailing exactly the issue and not in point form. Trust me if enough of these complaints are forwarded, 02 management will be knocking on the heads of management at Quanta.
Fingers crossed updates come quickly by mid Jan (2006 looking rocky for 02)
Otherwise guys stick it out till the SE P990 comes out. SE must be grinning at the Atom reviews. SE please don't make me wait a whole quarter.
I got my Atom still hot from the store. I must say I was pretty amazed with it maybe because I'm a novice-user of Pocket PCs. But can't deny that I share the frustrations that Atom users now have:
1. The camera is really bad -- output blurry; you'd need to freeze on your shooting position for a few sec after hearing the 'click' of the camera to make sure that the photo was captured (otherwise you'd end up with a photo of the floor)
2. no decent ring tone included. if you use a cd quality' mp3 as your ringtone, the song breaks up as the phone rings. embarassing indeed especially if you're trying to impress others having a 'real music' as your ring tone. needless to say, sms tone below par.
3. keyboard not very user friendly. the tiny space bar is located just beneath the keyboard icon which you click if you want to disable or enable keyboard. hence, most of the time when you tap the space bar, you end up tapping the keyboard icon which makes the keyboard disappear...you would want to throw out the phone when this happens several times when typing long sms.
4. RAM not good enough: there's a few occassion I had to use the soft reset as the screen just froze while uploading stuff onto the device.
5. the Clearvue PDF program is hard to use: even if you have already the PDF file already saved/loaded, when viewing a file using the PDF program, you won't be able to see the file in one go, i.e. everytime you move the scroll bar to see the rest of the file, it feels like the file is beingloaded again and again.
6. Battery, memory status icons are nowhere to be seen on the 'today' screen.
In summary, yes the Atom was far below expectation. Although I have desired to have a Pocket PC, I realised I needed a decent phone in the first place. This is where the Atom has failed me.
Guys I was really disappointed with this phone. I was expecting "Sweet stuff" from it, but more and more it disappoints me. 2.0 mega pixels camera looks like a 0.3 megapixel camera on Nokia but magnified because of the screen size of "atom". Blur as hell and don't even think of taking pictures with it at night, cause all you see is dots and dots of crap. Performance... OOOH right! the specs sound good to everyone, but I was desperately trying to somehow overclock the CPU, cause it feels like a computer with 68mb ram running on Window XP. *lag lag lag*. No doubt O2 tried to put alot of multimedia entertainment program into this bug, but the speed just kills it all (instantly). If you have one billion go for this phone, because you got alot to spend on trash. But if you have quite tight with cash, this is a big NO NO, don't say I didn't warn you. If you are intereseted with the pix quality of this phone send me an email firstname.lastname@example.org and i will show you some.
Atom camera 2MP VGA Flash not as clear as others.Memory must have 128ROM-128RAM.Atom hardware sound notification even with stereo speakers produced bad quality sound than O2 mini.especially in a noisy place,ringtone sound very lower than mini.In my opinion O2mini overall stiil the best no doubt without WM5os.
I just checked out the atom in detail. My bro bought it a few days back. I almost bought my own Atom yesterday but changed my mind at the last minute because of several flaws/short comings that I found in my bros Atom. I list my analysis of Atom below :
- Touch screen is not as sensitive or soft as the IPAQ or some other touch screen devices
- Processor sounds good 400+ Mhz but after loading a few softwares the Atom runs at slower than snails pace. Need more RAM perhaps but O2 guys should do something abt it.
- Stereo speakers they say but when run at full volume sound like someone just pricked a hole in them
- Voice call clarity to hear is not good. My Nokia 3230 sounds like madonna after experience voice quality on O2
- Finally the camera, goodness gracious if this is wat 2 megapixels is like, i'd rather not have a camera on my phone. Night pics are so bad, i felt really bad for my bro.
-On the positive side the design and size is sleek, sexy and super. If they rectify these flaws with the next edition, O2 ATOM will be the King and sure shot winner.
The above opinion is without any bias or prejudice. I have been desperately waiting for the ATOM since last 6weeks and would have surely bought. I'll wait for the next update/ edition of Atom and surely buy it if all these flaws are sorted out OR else the Sony Eric P990 OR Nokia N80 are the ones to go for.
Is there anybody at gsmarena able to do a full technical review of O2 XDA Atom and post it here?
Ok I just bought this 02Atom 28/12/05 and been looking forward to it for a very long time(3mths). Anyway it fits very well in the hand and I love showing it off. It looks dam sexy. It had and I had a few teething problems (I am new to pda phone) they were easily fixed by asking the right people for help or advice. Only major problem seems to be the volume on the ringer very low hence the score i gave it. my SE k750 had same problem at first so like that I hope it gets fixed in its first firmware update. Why do they let this ph come out with low volume level I canít understand you think they would get that correct and as their first priority. Yes battery cover is not firm but can live with it. Overall good phone is packed with features. Camera is not as good as k750 . I have set up wifi to home even with wep. All this in one day use and no former pda experience. I plan on putting gps on it thatís why I chose this and not the SE990 (which is still coming and a very good phone too). Harvey Norman and Fone Zone have them but be quick as supply is low and demand is high. two hints about problems with 02 atom (1) pull the battery out and then restart it some programs donít load first time. (2) talk to people in Fone Zone or experts in 02 mini wink wink, or you could just read the manual grrr not for me.
bad 2mp camera + low ringer = 8/10
its black and sexy it will sell it self (bit like me hehe)
hi guys...i'm gonna get an atom soon.... i'm concern bout it's performance...can somebody advise me on it ? i don't wanna regret buying it... pls advise...
Just bought it 3 days ago. I have try using the default and MP3 ringtone but big problem! Now I have ringtone that is intermittent!! Can someone give some advise...need help!
The call quality is not good enough and I faced call drop several times with ATOM. I think Xda II & Mini is better than this.
I am using O2 Mini. I was waiting for Atom badly. Just today, I saw it. I think the camera clarity is not still good. The worst part is that the memory card is small SD, which is costly. Mini comes with a SD 256md card & a sweet pouch. But, Atom doesnt have a card nor a pouch. I felt that it is much slower than Mini. I think, Mini will rule the world of O2. The price that we pay for Atom is not worth. I think my wait was a waste.
i m very much excitement from past 2 mouths i bought Eten M500 it is gr8 phone in all smartphone but i m willing to buy O2 XDA ATOM i have some of urs guys opinion is it gr8 ringtone,camera,radio,speed etc i m buying it at any cost watever it should be...
I have it few day already.The performance was so so, because slow.... speaker...FM signal .. camera ...all..make me upset. I think the Mini is better than..now what i have...
Hello , is there a big different of the camera between mini and Atom ???
although the different is 1.3mp and 2mp ...
but the thing that i want to know is does the Atom's camera as blur as mini ??
this the thing im concern ......
I just got it yesterday, I used it for all night. I felt that is wasn't that good as i am expecting even compare with O2 mini.
First, It is very slow...
Second, The camera is very terrible.. Even O2 mini is better..
Third, The sounds is very low. if you turn the volume to the maximum.. the speaker quality become bad.
Forth, Not much programs support WM5.. lately.
Anyway.. no choice just brought it.. so hopefully next firmware would be better
can display some pictures (days & nite shot) captured by O2 Xda atom?? I believe its gonna get ppl's attention.
I just got a unit but it did not come with O2 Plus and the O2 connect did not have the O2 Plus download. Did anyone manage to have it on their unit?
Can a Smartphone software install into Atom ??
I found a Dictionary software for Smartphone and i dun know whether it can be installed into Atom ....
Can anyone tell me that actually what's the diferent of Palm , PDA , Smartphone and PPC ????