I'll just list 'bad' points, for the 'good' points just look at product spec ;) If you can stand these issues then the phone is probably for you. :p
Speed: CPU not an issue. Runs smoothly (well there is still delay between screens, but that's normal for smartphone unless you have a nokia 3210)
* on-screen keyboard pops up unexpectedly sometimes -- even when I have slide-out keyboard open! (i found that tapping on Start menu solves this problem)
* not possible to do everything solely by keyboard (can't do context menu, can't turn off on-screen keyboard when it pops unexpectedly) or finger (OK is an important key, but unless you have extra small finger there is no way you can OK something without stylus or keyboard)
* When you slide out the keyboard, you'd expect the device to turn on itself (why else would you slide out the keyboard?) -- but you still have to manually power on.
* The volume slider should really be used as up/down wheel for one-hand operation. This is only possible in full-screen apps. Seems like a big waste to me.
* A 'confirm' button (ENTER) above the volume slider. Again useful for single-hand operation.
* Pressing the red button will return to Today, it always makes a noise even if the phone is on silent.
* Alarm clock will not ring if phone is on silent.
* Task manager can't 'Close all' programs -- MS is trying to push the concept that you don't need to 'close' apps, nice concept but the fact is device runs slower and slower as you have more apps open.
* Can't switch to other apps easily (alt-tab style), have to go back to Start menu->Programs (For ****** sake get rid of the Start Menu!!!)
* GPRS comes on automatically without asking! If you have IE open in the background and page tries to refresh itself every few minutes -- you won't even notice it's downloading until hours later...
* holding down red button doesn't always terminate GPRS connection.
Tasks: not possible to mark a task complete without stylus (unless you go into the task, Edit, scroll to status, drop down, change to complete… zzZ)
Camera: on-screen buttons too small for operation by fingers, so expect to hold your stylus in one hand when you're taking photos. Camera Quality: you don't buy this device to take photos, don't have high expectation for photo quality.
Handwriting: good but wish I could have the option to train it to suit my writing.
Conclusion: Powerful machine, UI takes time to get used to. You WILL need stylus at some point so don't expect smooth single-hand operation. Keyboard doesn't really speed up typing that much over T9, but is nicer to type than T9. Handwriting recognition is very nice but for some letters it just won't tolerate my writing.
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between this and the Orange SPV M2000?
I have just purchased the xda mini s, what tomtom software/product should i use? does the xda use its own gprs connection or do you need the external reciver as on the Tomtom website?
Also which memory cards can i use on the xda mini? i want the 1/2 GB cards.
to follow up on chris c. who states "the picture shows the keyboard missing the letters "Y" and "Z" - the reason - the model show is the "german" version. And the German alphabet doesn't contain the letters Y or Z." ... i'm german and believe me, the german alphabet has the letters "y" and "z". i use them regularly. ;-) if you look closely at the picture of the keyboard you will see them ... they've just been swapped around as usual on german keyboards. :-)
Could someone kinldy tell where can i get the english language manual of the O2 XDA mini S.
Also the keyboard had a problem with the Z and the Y i.e. when you tpye Y, Z gets typed and vice versa.
It a german phone that i bought so kinldy help me with any website etc...
thanks in advance
can anyone help me just got xda mini s and when unit has been on for about an hour or so or using it a lot I can not open the phone screen by pushing green phone button I have to soft start again to use phone
Shiftly : - dont install to many 3rd party programs..keep it simple..have u checked http://www.howardforums.com where u can do registry hacks to make it run faster. my qtek 9100 runs amazingly and i dont get ne freezes or ne thing...as far as Navigation systems, u can get them running on the Qtek 9100 but u need to tweak with the registry to get the gPS icon to show on the connections. I have TomTom 5 running on it even thou its not officially compatabile on the Windows Mobile 5.0...using forums like the one i mentioned above have guides to teach you. hope this helps
pls help me change the Language setting from German to English. I recently bought this XDA mini s in Germany, but i only noticed later that the handbook and settings were all in German. I've been trying without success to change the language setting in English.Is it even possible? if yes please telle me how? and Were can I download an electronic english manual for this phone?
Please help me. I'm sitting with a phone i can't use.
Him I am having one of these bad boys sent to me on thu... I would greatly appreciate any information with regards sat nav options for this phone and things i would need to buy in addition to the hand set.. Also if anyone knows of anything else like programs and games, then please please please email to let me know.... Finally, does anyone know where I can purchase a blue tooth hands free kit for one of these at a decent price?? Thanks :
TERRIBLE. I took delivery of this apparently capable gadget and I have rarely been so disappointed. Screen freezing, phone not working, menu lag, umpteen resets. It just isnt up to the job. This thing is over rated without sufficient memory and the phone lacks functionality and personalisation. For example. you cannot change the text message notification or indeed the volume of the message tone. The PDA switches itself off to save power which is great as you will still receive phonecalls. However, you do not get any notification when you recieve a text message. My XDA Mini has been put staright back into the box. I have a 3 year old PDA which is far superior and which I will start using again. PDA and phone in my eyes !!! never the twain should meet.
sorry,I want question? where address I can download free activesync 4.2 for o2 xda mini s ? thanks
I've just got the XDA mini S handset and I was happy until just recently has stop to play mp3 copied straight from the computer. It looks like the media player has forgotten the extension file. Can anyone help me to lisent again mp3 files please???
I just bought this phone in Hong Kong. I have the qwertz (german) version. I am using the phone in Canada and it works great. Can somebody please direct me to a website that would have the documentation and software (IN ENGLISH) for this phone?
the picture shows the keyboard missing the letters "Y" and "Z" - the reason - the model show is the "german" version. And the German alphabet doesn't contain the letters Y or Z.
Just thought you'd like to know!
Received by XDA mini S yesterday. All I can say is . . . WOW this phone really is something. Mine definitely has the QWERTY keyboard. The only slight criticism I have is that they don't supply a memory card with the XDA - no problem though, a 2gb card is only 50 pounds on ebay. Not bad as the handset was a free upgrade. I'd recommend this to anybody
Is this phone really has QWERTY keyboard...? I think it's QWERTZ. What's wrong with the 'Y' and 'Z' button?
Anyone know what the connection at the bottom of this devise is called, i know its usb but its not the standard usb cable you pug into your PC, its like a digital camera. Can i get a GPS receiver which will plug in the bottom, instead of using bluetooth and will it still need to charge from a cigaret lighter.
But is it stable? The old was kept hanging.. Windows 2003 was terrible.. Mobile 5 any better