An honest final statement about Nord as perceived by me...
1. Many talk about the goodness of OLED displays. But, my answer is, I always personally prefer IPS LCD over OLED. IPS LCD displays produce realistic colours over OLED displays. For comparison, one might consider Apple iPad displays over OLEDs. There WERE plenty of mobiles with IPS LCD displays which bests today's OLED displays. Another example being Dell Ultra Sharp computer monitors and their S/P series monitors which employs good quality IPS LCD displays. Moreover, IPS LCD displays have greater life span and are more robust and reliable than OLED displays. The QUALITY factor of the LCD displays used, is accountable for good quality images. Moreover, the quality of LEDs used for lighting the displays also plays a significant role. Today, quality is being compromised for cost cutting. Today most of the LCD display mobiles employ LTPS LCD displays. These LTPS displays are cheaper to manufacture and produce weird colours.
2. Coming to the refresh rate, is it really necessary and to whom? Refresh rate is nothing but writing the entire screen again and again pixel by pixel at a particular rate in one second. A 60 Htz refresh rate display refreshes the screen 60 times in one second. Higher the refresh rate, higher the amount of current consumed. Though this refresh rate is controlled by software, the display itself (Hardware) should have the capability to refresh itself without which it will get spoilt. This refresh rate cannot be observed or noticed by normal human beings. Everyone prefers and wants it because it exists. Display lags have nothing to do with refresh rates because it is the Operating System and Hardware that takes the accountability. If a game lags, it is because of the failure of graphics acceleration of the graphics processor or the failure of the processing capability of the processor or due to the poor memory management of the Operating System with their corresponding UI/Skin. Moreover, most of the mobiles do run lot of bloat ware at the background which can also be accounted for this lag. Above all, some hard core gamers prefer high refresh rate for want of fluidity in gameplay. This refresh rate smoothness which is subtle is noticeable only if the frame rate of these games are higher than 60 FPS. If the game employs only 60 FPS there will be no difference between 60 Htz, 90 Htz or higher hertz displays. Assuming a video employs 144 FPS, again, the refresh rate is noticeable only if we play the video in slow motion. To be honest, my eyes aren’t capable to catch the refresh rate differences. Assume catching the flickering of AC incandescent bulbs which flickers 50 times a second. If you can’t catch it, which is lesser than 60 Htz, how can one notice the difference between 60 Htz and 90 Htz displays. Higher the refresh rate higher the cost of the display which amplifies overall cost of the mobile itself. Coming to Nord, this is definitely NOT a gaming device. Then why a 90htz display?
3. According to Material Science, a hard material sandwiched between two soft materials makes the product stronger but, whereas a soft material between two hard materials makes the product weaker. This is the reason why Nord is brittle. A GOOD plastic back like Google's Pixel 4a would've served the purpose.
4. Counting on 3.5 mm jack, why people still prefer them is a very excellent question. Today, most of the consumers handles ear phones roughly which makes its life span shorter. Since a 3.5 mm ear phone is cheaper than a USB ear phone, most of the consumers would always prefer a 3.5 mm ear phone over USB ear phone. Moreover, plugging a 3.5mm ear phone is simpler than plugging a USB earphone (which has to be handled with care) since, an ear phone is a device which is plugged and unplugged many times in a day, more than any other USB device. Above all, a wired ear phone always produce better sound quality than a Bluetooth earphone. Though some might argue that there are good quality Bluetooth earphones, they are not pocket friendly. USB to 3.5 mm adaptor is just a compromise made by manufacturers and they provide one with their device. If they can provide an adaptor why can’t they provide a 3.5 mm jack.
5. Coming to the processor, 765G processing capabilities are more or less equal to 730G's. The only difference being 765G is 5G capable which makes the processor costlier. What is the use of a 5G mobile when the technology hasn’t arrived yet. It simply makes the device costlier and manufacturers are forced to compete to make their device superior which increases the cost of the device. A 5G variant of the mobile could have been introduced in selected 5G enabled countries.
6. To discuss on the camera front, every manufacturer know that a quad Bayer camera is nothing but gimmicks, the reason why Sony, Apple and Google don’t employ them in their devices. A simple 24mp or a 12mp Sony camera can do wonders. Moreover, the addition of a mediocre macro and depth sensing cameras just murders the overall quality of the device.
Issues like light bleeding of the display, speaker getting hot during audio playback, plastic sandwiched body, omission of 3.5mm jack, mediocre macro and depth sensing cameras are nothing but errors of Design and Product Management of the company.
Irrespective of the above facts, I honestly admit that their OxygenOS-UI is really good and which is the only Good thing in Nord. There is a rumour that their future budget devices would employ bloat wares. If it is so, it would be nothing but an approach to murder OxygenOS-UI by OnePlus.
Oneplus nord 12gb ram 5g or oneplus 8 12gb ram 5g? want to use it for more than 2 year and what about the performance,display and camera which one is better?
1. Built quality - instead of glass back they should have put plastic back since the frame is plastic and they could have reduce the weight.
2. Display - its GOOD enough with oled 90hz refresh rate.
3. Chip set - SD765g with adreno 620 is very good combination for a midrange phone.
4. Camera - in this price main camara and selfie camera is perfect
5. Battery: its good enough and 30w warp charger can give 60-70% charge within 30 min
6. Speaker: its just okay.
Note: people are still not going in next level. They are still asking for a memory card option , 3.5 mm jack. Oh come on use adopter for that and cloud for memory.
Macron camera is still not good please solve
Anonymous, 12 Sep 2020So do u really expect ois and an aluminium frame at this price point? It has ois
Udi, 12 Sep 2020Thanks for your review. Overall doesn't sound like the kind of phone worth investing in. ... moreI think you should base your decision on more professional reviews.
The frame does not feel cheap at all in fact it fooled many experienced reviewers into thinking it was metal, but people like they always do accused oneplus of paying those reviewers to say that. Yes it is indeed less durable that metal... but at this price point and considering all the other things this phone has it's absolutely normal to have plastic instead of metal.
Display quality is good, not great but good, like everything in this phone other than the software. The display is smooth and there is no sign of lags or stutters but i guess it depends on what you have installed on your phone and what you have running in the background. As long as you keep all the apps instaled from play store and don't have stuff constantly running in the background eating battery life and resources( battery indicator apps, notification apps for example) i'm sure you will not encounter those lags and stutter that this "reviewer" is talking about.
The brightness of the display is great as long as you keep it in auto it can almost double it's max brightness( 323 nits if you max it out manually 756 if you keep it in auto ) and it will be great to use outdoor and you will absolutely be able to see what is on the screen. I guess our "reviewer" did not know that ;)).
Yes it probably is not the same display as on the 200 to 300$ more expensive phones. Nord has settings to change colour reproduction to your absolute liking. So if you don't like colour accuracy you can change it to suit your need ( i have mine on vivid i like the bright colours) i guess this is another thing our "reviewer" did not consider.
Speaker-- well it's just good nothing to write home about it get significantly louder than my other phone. I can't speak about the base and sounding of the vocals it's not my strong suit, so in this case, I will not argue the review.
I don't need max volume on the phone as i said it gets pretty loud so i can't confirm or deny the heating issues either.
Network- nothing to say here either it does what is supposed to.
Battery: - is good/great for me i get 7-8 most of it streaming netflix/youtube and some gaming (clash royale ) but it can easily get up to 10 if you are an average user.
Charging is fast 100% in aprox 1h, 60-70% in 30 min
Cameras- Well the main sensor is good in daylight and in nightscape. Macro and depth are next to useless they just added them for marketing purposes. The wide is good enough it could be better.
Selfie cameras I really don't know, I never used them other than to set face to unlock. I would have liked just one instead of 2, it makes that punch hole look ugly.
And finally the best part of this phone that puts it above so many others the software.
The optimization and support for this phone is only surpassed by apple (google does not count they don't have any added extra features so in my opinion, they have to put no effort in optimizing and updating the software) it the 2 weeks i had this phone i already received 2 updates that aim to fix any complains the community raised and mostly succeeded in fixing them. So i believe that only the software with the 3 years support adds 100+$ to the value of this phone .
And others are just preferences I use wireless anyway there are many good and cheap truly wireless buds and i just can't get back to having a wire attached again.
Micro Sd i really don't see the point of that anymore with all the cloud base storage to transfer stuff and the huge 128GB space on the phone ( i had a 32 Gb phone before and i barely managed to reach it's limit )
You could wait for the 8t but I'm not sure it will be wort that 200-300$ extra over this phone, but it's absolutely your choice.
This is my honest re, 10 Sep 2020Built quality:- the front and back glass feels good I wish they had given matt finish to the b... moreThanks for your review. Overall doesn't sound like the kind of phone worth investing in. I think I'll wait for the oneplus 8t and pay a little extra.
Anonymous, 11 Sep 2020And yet the vast majority of phones survive the bend test. Fancy that.Not to mention that half of the phones that failed had a metal construction too. Take the HTC One m9 or iphone 6 full metal body but it bent. So a big guy putting all his force into a phone does not represent a viable real life structural benchmark.
Anonymous, 11 Sep 2020And yet the vast majority of phones survive the bend test. Fancy that.Yep they do, they are made of metal. There is no denying that the frame is weaker it's normal to be like that is plastic instead of metal, but from that to say the phone is structurally compromised and it will bend in real life use is a long shot at best. I come from a metal and glass phone had a full metal before that and other than the other 2 having that nice cold feeling in the morning I could not tell the difference.
Anonymous, 02 Aug 2020If you place a headphone jack in a phone these days you automatically make it a lower end phon... moreThat's very grim prognosis my friend!
Adn it pains me to admit ot myself your kinda right :( , maybe I am ol school, maybe I can't stand recharging another device or using dongles, for that matter.
However my headphones are top-notch piece of tech it supreme clarity and price can't be compared to anything wireless nowadays !!!
ragacaffe, 10 Sep 2020OnePlus Nord or Samsung S10 lite?
Thank youDepends on what you like: S10 lite has a better processor and maybe faster charging ( My nord charged faster that the 40watt charged huawei p40 lite)
Nord has faster screen and 5g and the other 2 stuff depends on preference nord is smaller which is a must for me and the software is less bloated and faster to update
SAIRAVI999, 11 Sep 2020Recently bought - I am sorry paid 30000 - to Reliance Retail for booking ONE PLUS NORD phone ... moreJust give a try to text or mail them that you are cancelling the order. Retain a copy of your cancellation. Hope this should work out since the device hasn't arrived at your door step yet.
Anonymous, 10 Sep 2020DON'T get the Nord. It's littered with display issues. You might be lucky and win th... moreOh come on just stop with the display issues spam, i have the phone it's barely noticeable in complete dark at lowest brightness and they already have an update that fixed half of the "issue" for half of the users
And the bending stuff it's so dumb you watched a video with a huge fuking dude that goes to the gym regularly exert all his force on an 8mm phone and it broke WOW imagine that. In real-world use it will never happen.
Mike Coxlong, 11 Sep 2020This overrated overhyped overpriced POS is $400 with mediocre speaker, mediocre processor, med... moreYep, the old Xiaomi comparison a phone that comes with ADS like really ADS imbedded in the os that tells you all you need to know about and i'm not even counting the os itself full of bloatware slow to updates( if it updates at all). I prefer to pay more and to have a stable package that is smooth and optimized with no ads and that gets updates 3 years from now
But i guess if you are on a budget it's a great phone for the price.
Recently bought - I am sorry paid 30000 - to Reliance Retail for booking ONE PLUS NORD phone on 5th Sep. The order mentions delivery by 8th. Even till 11th late evening as of now, the same is not delivered. Apart from this, the Tracking Details on their site keeps on changing retrospectively for the order, which is highly suspicious. We have posted 2 pictures of how they keep on changing their Tracking details. Repeated complaints, calls, mails to head of customer service of Reliance (B.M.BADE) has no response. Anyone has suggestions to save my hard earned money?
No Aluminum frame, No Headphone jack, No Telephoto lense. No deal with OnePlus Nord! Otherwise specifications are appreciated.
ragacaffe, 10 Sep 2020OnePlus Nord or Samsung S10 lite? Thank youI think galaxy s10 lite is better phone in my openion or go fr oneplus 7t ull save some money
This overrated overhyped overpriced POS is $400 with mediocre speaker, mediocre processor, mediocre battery, mediocre camera (with depth and macro lense lol) and full of issues. I couldn't remember when the last time I've seen a phone with speaker overheating issue lol. No headphone jack, bleeding display. Don't forget, this is a $400 phone by a company who claimed to be flagship killer. So much hype for this phone. Yet such a letdown.
Meanwhile Xiaomi nonchalantly releases Poco X3 with specs rivaling $1000 phone, at $190 where I live lol.