this phone is wicked though i wish it had something like 32gb internal memory and a 12mp camera with flash and video
Anonymous, 25 Jul 2009I got a Palm Pre and kept it for a little over a week and returned it. In general the phone is... moreExcellent review, based in your comments i dont buy this Phone. But what phone do you choice now? tks
another thing. I see a lot of people complaining about screen size. The bigger the screen size the bigger the device. This thing works close to perfect with the screen it has and can fit anywhere. 99.9 percent of the time i don't feel i am carrying this device in my jeans pocket. I am on sprint now and can;t wait for the GSM version to come out. You guys will love it...
guys this phone has soooo much potential it is crazy. My n95 8gb got stolen so i decided to give this phone a try just because sprint did not anything else. I thought it was going to suck. Boy, it only does not suck but is unbelievable. After a few updated and more apps in their store it will be better then the Iphone. And did i say i already forgot all about my n95, in a way glad i lost it.
I had a Palm 600 and a 650 a long time ago and loved them, awesome phones. Moved on a while back to various HTC and Samsungs among others but was interested in trying the Pre.
Has anyone out there actually got first hand experience of it yet rather than just recycling already posted opinions?
Another question, along with many other sites, GSM Arena lists Palm phones but has never reviewed them fully in the same way as they do with other phones. Why is this? Are Palm phones particularly despised by those in the know or do they just not spend as much on advertising?
hey i c the features but is this phone java enabled? and whats the battery stand by time?
I got a Palm Pre and kept it for a little over a week and returned it. In general the phone is great. But, I'm a traditional Palm OS user. I've been through the i330, i500 and now the Treo 700p. There is a downloadable, PURCHASABLE ($30 I think) app called "Classic" to allow you to run classic Palm apps .... until the developers make a webOS version. The demo to test Classic is only 7 days. Plus, why didn't Palm just include that for free??
Ok. So here is my list of annoyances that caused me to return the phone. Almost none of them are deal-killers. But put them all together then add the fact that I will end up paying $200 and have to commit to 2 more years with Sprint, it just wasn't worth it for me at this time.
1. The sync options are ridiculous.
- Google sync
- Facebook sync (WHAT?)
- Microsoft Exchange
----------That is IT. The only way to sync to your PC is via a purchased version of the Outlook sync and I'm not a Windows PC user. So my Palm sync tools in Linux will not work.
2. Palm backup - nice idea. You can have all your data backed up and wipe the phone remotely. But, why did they not make a way to get information out of the Palm backup website?
3. My Treo 700p has an awesome calculator. The Palm Pre has a basic math calculator
4. Bluetooth will ONLY sync with speakers (presumably a headset or stereo speakers). No option to link to PC that way. You have to use the USB cable to copy music too/from the phone.
5. You cannot specify general ring tones for phonebook/non-phoneboook entries. Again, in the 700p, I can have one ring tone that is for anyone NOT in my phonebook. In the Pre, you have to assign ring tones to each contact to have any modification from the main ONE ring tone.
6. You cannot ignore a call when the phone is locked. If it's unlocked there is an option to answer or ignore. But when it's locked, all you can do is slide up the unlock button and answer the call or turn off the ring by pressing the on/off button at the top right corner. The guy at Sprint asked what difference it makes. Well, if you're about to do something with the phone and all of a sudden it rings before you get it unlocked, you have to wait for it to go to voice mail before you can unlock unless you just want to answer it.
7. I'm not crazy about the slide open case or the way the keyboard is recessed after it's opened. I would prefer to have a longer phone that has the keyboard at the bottom all the time without needing to slide it open. I think the slide will eventually get sloppy. It seemed to a little in the week I had it.
8. There are hardly any options on most apps. If you don't like the default overall font and how it looks in an app, too bad. If you want to chance anything about the look and feel of a specific app, most of the time, you cannot.
9. There is NO way to export calendar and contacts. With my 700p I can export either to vcards as an attachment to email if I want to move them somewhere. Since they only give you a way in the Pre to sync with Google, Facebook or Exchange (which I do NOT have and do NOT want), you have no way to get your information out of the phone. You are forced to create a Google or Facebook account to have any data exchange without an MS Exchange server. Another option might be to include at least SyncML capability so it could sync to any SyncML server. Maybe a 3rd party app will come from Funabol soon.
10. I wasn't impressed with the speed. The card idea and sliding from app to app, closing apps, etc. was all very easy to use and enjoyable. But I expected it to really fly. Sometimes it would pause a bit and once I thought it was totally hung.
11. I have an IMAP email server with a self-signed certificate. I managed to get my email to work with SSL. But I had to find someone else's idea of how to get the SSL cert to work. Sprint was no help. And there is really not any help about that with the phone or from Palm that I found. What I had to do was get my SSL cert file and attach it to an email (using my PC) so I could click it from the email app in the phone. Once I did that, it prompted me to accept the cert and then I could use SSL in my email with my self-signed certificate. Supposedly you can get to the Cert app and add it that way. I just had not figured out how to do that. Maybe with more time and more tries I could. But the other way worked, once I found the idea from someone else.
11. Email is pretty nice. But there is no way to deal with multiple messages from what I found. If you want to move, delete more than one message, you must open the message, then do the deed. The exception is if you want to delete. You can slide messages to the right and they go to the Trash. That's nice but there is no place that tells you what the different slide operations are from what I saw. You have to find out trial/error.
To be fair: Someone that does not have some of my specific needs will find this phone to be quite enjoyable I suspect. It's a beautiful screen and most of the functionality it DOES have works well.
am i the only on that has come to tho conclusion that this phones, regardless of all it's tech stuff feels cheaply made with it's plastic sharp edges
I played with the CDMA version today for about 4 hours. I cannot stand Palm devices but I must say that I was blown away. It is an excellent device. There are pros and cons...but a lot more pros. Its very responsive and I would switch from my current PDA as soon as possible
It will be the phone which we set a mark. I am waiting for it to happen... I have been a Plam user since years but this phone is something which I can't resist.
I heard that this is going to be the iphone killer. Saw the video to this and its an iphone and blackberry united into one. You can also zoom into a picture by using your 2 fingers like the iphone. Might be palm is copying apple and blackberry. Who knows.
Bobby , 16 Jul 2009Enough with 'comming soom' staf, can we have it now. what the fish, every time cool phone is o... moreCalm down. It's only a phone, which you will either end up losing or it will ultimately fail on you.
Anonymous, 14 Jul 2009Any news about the GSM unlocked Pre?you'll have to wait until the end of the year
This looks looooooverly. Was going to go for LG Arena but now think I will wait & get one, as I've already got a Palm Treo 650 at present, & had Palm 600 before! Can't wait.
Enough with 'comming soom' staf, can we have it now. what the fish, every time cool phone is on the market i have to wait forever.
nice.. web OS is the best! u can leave everything behind and just carry your pre.. u can never go wrong with this phone...