- Very good phone overall. Has more features than almost all phones. May lose out on quality of camera pictures especially those taken under not so bright lighting. Quality is above average. Take a look at samples uploaded at http://www.mobile88.com/mobilegallery/camerashots.asp?phone=philips_960&Cat=7&Prodid=781&pg=camerashot&Malaysia=
- Video is 30 frames per second. It makes playback smoother but not necessarily clearer.
- No autofocus and macro camera mode.
- Camera can be used as webcam when chatting using Yahoo Messenger. Think other chat software can also use the camera as webcam.
- Can set many different shortcuts, using navigation buttons, voice commands and number buttons.
- MP3 playback is good when using earphone.
- Can set default storage to memory card for picture and video, and voice recording. Video capture can be unlimited, as long as memory card space allows, but maximum guaranteed memory card access is 512Mb altho some people have used 1Gb before.
- Voice recording is limited to 3.32 min per recording. No limit to number of times if default saving to memory card.
- Cannot listen to mp3 and do other things at the same time.
- Backlight can be set to stay on up to 1 minute. Shortest time is 15 sec.
- Has flight mode, meaning can make the phone stop scanning for call signals when on a plane. Allows to play games and do other things besides calling and sending msgs.
- Call quality and reception ok. Depends on location and service provider.
- Lets you save sms that is typed half-way so that you can continue. Also saves the sms or mms when sending fails.
- Multiple subfolders can be created in internal and external memory to let you organise your files.
- WAP browser not that great but if used only occassionally is good enough. Not a smartphone anyway.
- Reading of memory card can be slow when there are alot of pictures, videos, mp3s and other files.
- Can use memory card to store notes prepared and transfered from PC. Notes prepared in the phone is limited to 10 and can only contain up to 50 characters.
- Does not automatically clear expired appointments set in phone and there is a limit of 50 only. Have to delete manually.
- Have 2 types of alarms; one time only, and repeat for each day of the week that can be selected.
- Has option to set once, daily, weekly, monthly and annually for schedules but only works for once. Think Philips missed this bug.
- Can download Java applications and games to phone but will reduce shared phone memory.
- Good battery life, average about 3-4 days with normal calls, camera use and game play.
- 350K file transfer limitation if cut and paste between memory card to phone memory.
- A little slow in response, especially when pressing key to open phonebook, and pressing the first few characters to search a name. The 1st character tend not to appear.
- Sensitive with Kingston memory card but OK with Sandisk.
- Memory card can be accessed as USB drive when connected to PC using USB cable.
- Short SMS alert ringtone.
- Battery charging is about 2 hours after the 1st time.
There you go. The real Philips 960. Its good enough for me. Is it a perfect phone? Of course not. I have reviewed most phones and almost all that I have read got some form of problem that irritates the owner.
aiyaa! i tot of buying dis hp oledi. ubt since dis hp got a lot of complains, i need to know more b4 i made up my mind.
i just love this phone.. for a phone price as RM1199 ...this is a good phone..
The keypad is slow during sms.
Short sms alert.
2mp camera not that fine.
Another negative comment on this phone. Tot of buying it. Care to elaborate the bad points.TU
does anyone have a hack or something to overcome the bluetooth 350k limit? I might buy one and I dont want the bluetooth to be crappy...
Hi Miquel, does it support the dutch language and where can I buy this beautiful phone online for a good price ?
I got my phone two days ago. I had to buy it online cause it's still not availeble in The Netherlands. I love this phone. It's great. The only negative thing is:
- The Message ringer is too short
But it's a very good mobile phone!!!!!!!!!!
Wheres the headphone plugin to hear to the mp3 like a mp3 player?! Or isnt it possible?! Thanks...
This is a very good phone with all the features that you need short of radio and 3G which may not be necessary at this point in time. In other words, very good value for money.
Pros: Form factor, light and small. Cool when sliding to answer call. Fits nicely and grips well in hand. Acceptable 2Mp camera tho may not match some cameras of other brands. Smooth video playback. Camera can be used as webcam. Supports SD/MMC that double up as thumb-drive. MP3 plyback is good.
Cons: Response may seem slow for some people. There are problems with my phone where MMS cannot be sent at times. The problem is solved by switching off and on altho not practical. My phone also has problems with recognizing the SD/MMC and needs to be taken out and put back in. Think the above 2 problems can be resolved by the service centre. Overall, very good all rounder. Some of you may ask if the phone is durable, like will it still work when you drop it...well, I won't try and you will want to make sure that you take good care of a device like that. They don't make things to last nowadays.
hi...I'm Alex...now I wan to switch my old Siemens M55 to Philips 960...But I dun Really know about it...is Philips 960 phone easy to use and have lot of function???I wan to have this phone Bcus it can take nice photo and have memory slot...and It is jus only at RM1100 cheap and nice...but I scare that the phone easy to break(slide phone is weaker(mayby))...cus I always drop my phone...I olso scare that the phone is not long lasting...cus I wan to use the phone up to 2 years(my Siemens is tough...if the motocycle din hit me...My phone will survive...haiz...2years&2month edi I used it...)
Setting voice dial:
- Condition: must use internal phonebook.
- Select contact, view and choose edit
- Scroll down until you see 'Voice command'
- Select 'Voice command'and you will be prompted to record
anyone using the voice dial function on the 960? How do i go about doing it? The manual syas nothing on this
can you tell me if your phone cahrger lights up when plugged into the wall with power on. The seems to be a small bulb on teh charger.
I noticed that my 960 phone charger, although it has a light bulb in the charger, it does not light up when I plug in into the wall socket and power on. Is this normal?
I found out i'm not used to it.
It is only because i sms very frequent.
To slide up & down to sms is very not convenient.
If anyone interested pls let me know.
I from M'sia. Melaka.
I bought this about RM1190.
I'm going to sell it at RM1120.
with everyday consider i borrowed with RM10/day.