AnonD-202558, 29 Jan 2014You think 2 simple, minute detail can kill an almost perfect smartphone?
Is there any, any ... moreAlmost perfect is your own preference of opinion and not factual...Probably because you like the size.
And they mention factual things that are important to them.
Um...S4 Active?? So yes.
Now you will defend a weak feature someone has a complaint about for it being weak? Jealous fanboy much?
There is plenty rooms for the buttons so that does not even make logical sense.
Anonymous, 29 Jan 2014I actually came back just to read this comment again, so utter nonsense, its amazing? It will ... moreThat was their opinion and it actually holds many truths. Don't be a rude ridiculous fanboy.
Non removable battery advantages??? HA!
Physical button inefficient???LMFAO
That might be your opinion... however:
1. Removable battery was important to me years ago, though I never bothered to buy an extra battery for any of my Android devices... Instead I bought an external battery which I occasionally use with my current Acro S. And having a great build + IP58 is much more important to me than removable battery, specially if this one last long, which translate into less charging cycles thus longer battery lifetime.
2. I agree because also my Xperia Acro S have a very small LED light and it is hard to see.. But I somehow have gotten used to this too, so not very important.
3. I also agree with you here... I am used to my capacitive buttons and I think On-Screen buttons are only good if you take advantage of the bottom bezel of the phone and make a bigger screen (alas XZL) but I think I can also adapt to this.
I disagree that the XZR is a better choice for a mini. With Z1C you get better cameras (hoping for improvement in future upgrades), you also get double the internal memory which is very important for installing apps and huge games, the screen is probably the best screen put on a Xperia device (even at this ppi), the magnetic port for charging seems to be better...
What I do think are cons for either one of those Xperias and probably future ones is this:
- MHL port instead of separate microHDMI. I know this is the way of the dinosaur but I still find separate ports better. So you can use both at the same time (USB OTG + TV Out) and you also reduce the wear by using only the one you need...
- Current microUSB port location on Z1 Compact, meaning that if you use the magnetic charging dock, plugging a MHL cable or USB OTG is annoying even if they are "L" shape... Solution for me might be use the EC21 Magnetic cable instead of dock for these situations (or raise the dock, on top of a book or something)
Anyway I respect your opinion and this was mine, but we know that everyone can not be pleased.
This is still a killer phone and I will get one as soon as I can
Gr8est device ever.I wonder how Sony managed to put everything in this device.giant 20 mpx sensor,water proof body and this big battery life that is on par with phablets like Lumia1520 in some stuff like web browsing.
AnonD-168288, 29 Jan 2014Good thing they didn't go with that Triluminos. A normal TFT performs better than their hyped ... moreI thought the ZU had an amazing screen? The Z1c actually has a triluminos display, but it is IPS this time around. Look at how it easily beats the HTC one!
Great timing of this review, my pre-order was dispatched earlier today... just hope it gets here (UK) quick, shipping from the Czech Republic.
AnonD-202558, 29 Jan 2014You think 2 simple, minute detail can kill an almost perfect smartphone? Is there any, any ... moreWell, actually, the Xperia ZR has a removable battery. Also the old Samsung B2100.
Mr Grumpy, 29 Jan 2014Two things kill this stone cold dead:
1. No removable battery. Sony continues the trend of ... moreYou think 2 simple, minute detail can kill an almost perfect smartphone?
Is there any, any phone which has waterproofing with removable battery? I have used an xperia acro s, its water proof and non-removable battery. I found no hardship using that phone. In fact it was a great device to me and I still adore it.
Xperia Z1 Compact is also the same size, water proofing and non-removable battery so as per my experience I am sure many would love it.
Do you really want such a LED light big ? the reviewers state that its barely visible not invisible. The LED lights are required only for notification purpose, it out it doesn't mean without it the phone wont work!
most of the xperia devices have restrictive touch or physical buttons, but it doesn't hurt anyone to have on-screen touches. Plus they went for the size to be small.
Make sure you do not count to much on the "water resistant" point.
The phone is "water resistant" at the time of purchase.
After some time this gets lost, as you have for example to load the battery and therefore you need to open the "cover" of the power plugIn.
Swiss TV did show an example: Someone dropped an Z1 into the bath. It did not survive it. Sony did not cover this with guarantee!!
Really nice device, but sony was too slow. Now I already got myself a Nexus 5 for Christmas.
Mr Grumpy, 29 Jan 2014Two things kill this stone cold dead: 1. No removable battery. Sony continues the trend of ... moreI actually came back just to read this comment again, so utter nonsense, its amazing? It will kill stone dead because of tiny notification led? Who cares about the size of the led? Noone, thats who. And nonremoveable battery and onscreen buttons have big advantages as well, i dont know how to use a samsung anymore, the home button is utterly inefficient, and longpressing it is even worse and why on earth do they have menu buttons, a leftover from android 2.3 thats been long dead, its the most useless thing ever.
Had the phone demoed to us the other day (work in a mobile call centre) I have the Z1 andi now wish I had the compact!
Very very nice phone, excellent screen and video playback. Camera is great also, the size is just about perfect. Much better than my 5" version I have now! If only I could turn back time or get a decent price for my z1 to buy out and upgrade.
This is a very very nice phone and I see them all (uk based)
I am very most glad to have pre-ordered this Compacted Z1. Canot wait for the arrival!
Good thing they didn't go with that Triluminos. A normal TFT performs better than their hyped flop that they used to ruin two good phones, the Z1 and ZU
Excellent review, this is what an ideal smartphone should be for me, im not a big fan of big smartphones larger than 4.4 " anymore(after using a galaxy note and an S3 for almost two years),makes me thinking to get rid of my iPhone 5 and my S4 mini 4G, and get this one for me, tough choice...congratulations Sony... you just made a great smartphone in a compact size.
Anonymous, 29 Jan 2014nokia is not able to make their own camera because the camera sensor in 808/1020 is made by to... moreughhh.. this again.. the components of any phone belongs to the brand/company that owns it.. these companies just OUTSOURCE the manufacturing of these components
think of it like this.. you made a cake recipe for your home business but you dont have a suitable kitchen tools, so you pay your neighbor to make it for you under your name. this neighbor works for you but they have no right to declare that the recipe is of their own