Sunil Edwin, 22 Apr 2014Guys,
1. I wish that the most important option in the dialer ie. to access the phone contacts... moreWho cares about your personal list :P
Overall, Microsoft has made a good effort in WP 8.1. it can only become better.
billy boy, 22 Apr 2014Much better than androidThis OS still needs much more work to catch up Android. But if I ever need a new dumb phone instead of a smartphone, I'll get a new Lumia then.
Oh I tought WP was dead already... Still holding on to that 3rd place eh?
kris., 22 Apr 2014The is still lacks a proper file manager, and really I wished for a mobile data on off toggle.... moregreat file manager can be found here
1. I wish that the most important option in the dialer ie. to access the phone contacts via the numeric keys Is VERY VERY BASIC AND IMPORTANT TO ME. Hope it's there somewhere even if it's not mentioned anywhere in the review nor been discussed by anyone here.
2. If I forward a mail to someone, I should have the option to delete unwanted texts or contact details of the original email writer, or the whole damn text if I want to.
3. The whole PDF mess......oh God, don't let me get started please. I still don't understand why I've to upload the PDF that I want to attach to my email, to Onedrive.....darnnnnnnn.....HELPPPPP... .. What's wrong with these guys??? Why are they treating pdf's as an unwanted, godforsaken filthy child.
4. How about an option in every app to choose whether it should go online or not. Maybe I don't need some of them to go online while I'm using mobile data. Or a kind of an option in the windows operating system, in settings, to choose which apps can access mobile data. It was a very useful feature in my ex android phone.
5. By the way let me decide the orientation of the video we watch, especially in YouTube. While I watch a video, maybe simultaneously I might wish to check the details of other videos available by scrolling down.
I feel frustrated when I type all this. It's as if the above is my right but, someone doesn't care. And here are my fellow users going gaga over a 8.1.
I think no one should buy a new windows phone unless these basic simple needs are sorted......at least points 1 to 3, otherwise I'll be one bloody frustrated user even if the version has flipped to 100.1
Am sure in reply to this, there'll be the wise of mankind in this room advising me to go to an other operating system. But the problem is am ain't rich like the wise men. Hence I'll be stuck here with a placard in my hands...demonstrating.
If i will use the preview(developer) version then in future will i able to the original version or not?????
mclarenfan1968, 22 Apr 2014Doesn't have the benefit of charging your phone at the same time as you use it via USB. Especi... moreYou can connect your phone and charge through USB and at the same time get Internet access through Wi-Fi.
Being only just still a developer preview, i must say that wp 8.1 is awesome already. I cant imagine how much awesome it would be when the final release is out. I feel like using an iPhone and android on a single phone. Above all, the OS is still so smooth, even on the low spec phone such as Lumia 520. That's the important one, no lag, just so comfortable even on a 512 RAM. Great job microsoft!
xeroxxxxxxxxx, 22 Apr 2014Those file manager ( ok i assume it as file manager althoght it doesnt worth the name ) you me... morePlz stop trolling,they are many file managers on store,like for example the pocket file manager which can not only do the basic tasks like cut,copy,paste,delete,rename but also has options like sharing through wifi,id3tag editor,playing folder,creating and unpacking of zip,rar,etc,it can open any,possible file if you have an app to handle it,like moliplayer to open every single format of audio and video,or office for documents,pdf files can be opened in the file manager or through adobe reader,archiver for .tar,zip,etc,wptorrent for torrent files, and so on.....so you have no idea what you are talking about...
You know even though wp8.1 is good, it really feels like microsoft screwed over nokia at first and launched a proper update only after they have purchased nokia...
Moody, 22 Apr 2014Because every 2 weeks android is updating their OS and its not that of a big deal, but windows... moreWrong mate... WP8 has had GDR 1, 2 and 3.
Please get tour facts right.
WP8.1 Developers Preview (emphasis on developers preview), is just that. It is not the final release yet it is quite a nice upgrade. There are another couple GDR updates planned for this year.
Finally downloaded this update and it was worth it!!! Window phone is now up to par with android .. IE11 is lightning quick as is the whole os. Everything is available if your prepared to look... Well done Microsoft.. I cant wait for the finished update
TheAgent, 21 Apr 2014You can do it through Wi-Fi, whether carriers like it or not.
http://www.wpcentral.com/wind... moreDoesn't have the benefit of charging your phone at the same time as you use it via USB. Especially when you are out about. Not easy to find near by plug points to charge both laptop and mobile at the same time in some hotels. USB is just so much easier, no excuse for MS to ignore it.
Wi-Fi sharing is adding extra cost by the carrier so the option is pretty much useless in the USA but outside the USA yes it can work but the problem I mentioned above makes it not worth the hassle.
axelbyte, 21 Apr 2014USB? Why?Because you can charge the phone at the same time. You don't have the luxury of having plug points when you are out about in the open or even some hotels. Too much of a hassle. It's really bad MS ignores this feature. They are losing big time to android in Asia because of this. I don't know about other markets like Europe but this has to be a big deal there too am guessing.
Parag satraange, 22 Apr 2014On what basis did you review Windows phone 8.1 ? Official version is not yet available this is... moreThose file manager ( ok i assume it as file manager althoght it doesnt worth the name ) you mention cant even open most of the file and most of the file cant be display / missing . And it cant even copy paste which is the point of having file manager .
You know, for all the advancements, it bemuses me as to why no windows phone will provide the user with a basic choice of keyboards. Eg: alphanumeric key pad for messaging. Not everyone wants to push and tap every single minuscule letter. Alpha numeric is much larger by nature and is very fast at messaging. Please do include this, then maybe we could buy.