yann, 08 Dec 2015I'm not "crying", but objectively said complains from major consumers.
1. Design is a BIG flo... moreSo MS is stuck in a vicious positive feedback cycle?
Bad sales -> less incentive to make apps -> less apps -> worse sales -> even less incentive to make apps -> even less apps -> even worse sales... you get the idea.
How do you think MS can break free of the cycle? Considering the money comes from the sales (and maybe apps) - which it doesn't have much of in the first place.
Kyle K., 08 Dec 2015Sure. The Lumia 950 XL - OS build - 10.0.10586.0, firmware rev: 01078.00017.15452.59014 There... moreThanks Kyle. It would be great if this information can be added somewhere in the reviews. Maybe look at adding it on the first page of each review going forward.
MHanz, 08 Dec 2015Seems like you are 'crying' because the phone actually massively beat your Debbie Downer expec... moreI'm not "crying", but objectively said complains from major consumers.
1. Design is a BIG flow. Everyone complains and even biggest fans said "It's ok." - That means acceptable, but acceptable doesn't sell phones which will make users from Android or Apple to jump into Windows - that means same pity market share. That means LACK of apps.
Who will write code for 1,7% or even 3% of the whole market?!?
2. - AppGap is still here. Will not even try to convince you. If you do not see it, then you're blind.
3. Panorama on Huawei P8 is one of the best. I can't reach even closer with my 930.
4. I'm using 930 - not 830, so please read carefully and then write.
I'm a windows user, but not blind fan. Will stay for a while, but if Microsoft didn't come up with new flagship - I do not care will they name it Lumia or Surface, till April, I'll join to the group that jump the ship and will go to something else.
And please, do not tell me "go jump", because if people like me jump, then the market share will shrink even below 1,7%.
That is my opinion and I do not convince anyone else to accept it.
Also in my opinion, this review is not unbiased.
Dodo, 07 Dec 2015One potential major issue is the lack of fingerprint scanner and the multiple user recognition... moreDid you actually read that part ? It is not tricked in an unsecured way. Bascially they ask it to improve the same recognition with different person's eyes. The the phone merged both data into one. This is NOT a security flaw. You can clean previous data and restart from the beginning if you want to. then it will work for 1 person.
ICE, 08 Dec 2015Hi Kyle, please provide the build number in the review for reference.Sure. The Lumia 950 XL - OS build - 10.0.10586.0, firmware rev: 01078.00017.15452.59014
There are currently no new updates for the phone in its update section.
Kyle K., 08 Dec 20151. I've installed this app on the first Lumia 950 and 950 XL units we got and it clearly said ... moreSorry if i was offensive, It's that i don't want my favorite Phone site end up like Phone Arena with the stupid reviews from John V and Victor H.... I know i shouldn't use the word "idiots", my mistake, anyway, the review was great and honest, unlike others.
[deleted post]1. I've installed this app on the first Lumia 950 and 950 XL units we got and it clearly said "Your phone doesn't have FM hardware".
2. Upon the users' requests we got new units from Microsoft, but for a different region. Today I installed the app and it works, thus will correct the reviews.
3. No need for offences!
One reason I might not buy this is that I'm too used to android and it's many apps now. That said this new windows flagship is very tempting just for its unique features... If I had enough money I would definitely give it a try as it certainly appeals to the geeky tech side of me. Nice to hear that Snapdragon 810 didn't overheat but even at full performance it doesn't match the latest exynos chipset so Samsung obviously chose their own chipset for more than just the overheat issues.
nokialover, 08 Dec 20151. Go to wpcentral thousands of WP fans hate the design
2. Are you fooling yourself...what do... more1. Beauty is relative (IMO it's not that bad - but yes, there are better-looking phones on the market).
2. If you think about it, that should be the app developers' responsibility. MS does have a job to make the market share bigger.
3. Well, yeah I guess the battery could be a tad better. That's why it's a good idea not to buy phones on launch day. Give it a couple of months - it can improve.
4-5. It performs pretty well. Maybe not class-dominating, but still fine. MS should step up its game next time. But don't expect SLR performance anytime soon.
And yes, there are people who love their phone, and will use it until the end of time. And those people think: why buy something new when your old one ain't broke?
I'll comment both on the device and on the review (adding) as I read it...
1) Indeed they could do better with the design. Mozo could be bundled (or buy the design). If this sounds weird, you people should check the customization options LG offers from the factory. Good move.
2) Plastic is not CONSIDERED more durable than glass and lighter than metal. It actually IS. Indeed there are expensive options that can bridge those differences, BUT although they want us to believe it, the other (major) companies have NOT done it. iPhone took a few generations to be more scratch resistant and I dare you drop your S6 without a case (else why talk about looks?) not from 1m height, but from coffee table height.
3) Microsoft should have a central policy concerning the dock gift.
4) The price is proper considering the HARDWARE specs. It is a flagship of a major company after all.
5) Sound should be better. Mono rear is yesterday news. They should go, face (or maybe top-bottom sides) stereo.
6) Iris-only is no good. Fingerprint scanners have evolved significantly this year and MSFT shouldn't risk with a system that is still slow AND awkward to use. You can turn on AND unlock a Z5 in under a second by just holding the power button, or the back of a Huawei Mate S (in which case it also has more uses), just taking it out of your pocket. No need for awkward "positioning in front of the face" and risk you don't even get recognized. They should opt for simple fingerprint or put it in addition (fingerprint sensors are not an expensive part of the device this is why they now move in mid-range and soon low-end devices as part of a biometric-enabled market).
7) I don't get why Continuum does not support native 4K since 4K *IS* supported by 810 in the secondary display. Yes it would possibly be slower, but it should give the option. For photo viewing it would be perfect.
8) I won't talk about the camera of the device, there are numerous tests that put it right there at the top (or along others at the top). But I will say I expected more modes that are supported by 810 natively. It should be able to do 120 fps in higher resolution and even 240 fps in some.
9) Focus needs improvement. I think it is a software thing though.
10) Multi-day standby performance is a statistic for statistics. Nobody leaves a phone with zero charging more than two days nowadays.
11) I expect side-by-side app running to come in a future update. It *IS* a feature that Win 8/8.1 and 10 have even for metro (now universal) apps.
12) Seems your review is rather complete and rather objective. That said I would expect the common rant about lack of apps. Microsoft must push harder.
Thank you. I am buying it.
MHanz, 08 Dec 2015Seems like you are 'crying' because the phone actually massively beat your Debbie Downer expec... more1. Go to wpcentral thousands of WP fans hate the design
2. Are you fooling yourself...what do u think about istagram BETA (since 1 year), Facebook app (by microsoft, FB didnt bother make one LOL) etc etc
3. You have to agree bettery was muhc better on 8.1, windows 10 is unfished OS, and battery life is horrible for 3400mAh
4. Its 2015 LOL, panoramo was common in 2011.
5. I agree with the quality bit. But what about the auto focus? Problem with 4 k rcording. Nowdays there is phase focus (S6, Iphone 6) and laser focus (G4), Microsft is still on with old slow focus (which is worst in low light)
I am a windows phone lover, therefore, I know the in and out. Good luck with ur zero resale Lumia 950!
yann, 08 Dec 2015I'm very surprised by this review. Till now, I was though that gsmarena make fair reviews, but... moreSeems like you are 'crying' because the phone actually massively beat your Debbie Downer expectations.
1) Design - subjective, what is flawed to you is great for someone else, your argument is irrelevant and so is any other reviewer's
2) Limited app gap:, Almost any, ANY, popular and useful app found on android/iOS is on Windows phone these days, everything else on android is just the usual garbage like the rest of the apple store apps. It is the quality that counts not the quantity. The lack of quality apps on Windows Phone OS was a 2013-14 thing, not anymore. If you are peddling that today I'll label you as a shill for some rival firm like Apple or Google.
3) Battery life - is far from awful, it is better than average but I'll agree it is not as good as what you would expect given the battery size and Windows Phone OS's claimed battery efficiency. But in any case it isn't awful, far from it, the only thing that shows poorly is the stand by drain. Individual test show great performance, it even beats my Oneplus One.
4) Panorama: Sure, Chinese phones have it and their implementations look no better than horse excrement. So yeah , better to have it done right or not have it at all.
5) Camera review - dunno about your eyes but those shots are indeed class leading, though overall in some aspects like level of detail in shadows are low, no smartphone is perfect, but my goodness that edge consistency in the Lumia 950s is the best bar none (well maybe the CM1 Lumix which is several leagues above the rest)
For someone who claims to have a 830 it is not convincing given the poor reasons you came up with against the 950. You start out questioning the fairness of the reviewers but it turns out you are really more cross at the points made for the phone than anything else, which leads me to question your credibility.
All that said, am I going to rush out and buy one of the 950s? Nope, infact no phone on the market has a compelling upgrade factor right now over what I already own, a Oneplus One. But if I were to be in the market for a new phone because I have a Galaxy S2 or something like that then this phone is a like a very good option even compared to my Oneplus One. You get the picture, there will be plenty of takers for this phone family because it isn't all that you want to make it out to be.
I'm very surprised by this review. Till now, I was though that gsmarena make fair reviews, but after 950 and 950XL I'm not so sure anymore. Why?
1. Design flows - just mentioned, but in these days this is most of the time deal braker.
2. Limited app gap - not even mentioned and people from windows society still wait for Snapchat and lot of cool apps that are missing from the store. Not to mention the quality of current ones - Booking is just like website link.
3. Battery life is awful - another deal braker for most of the users.
4. Missing features like Panorama mode - in this days that every Chinese phone had it is at least strange.
5. Camera review - not sure for the conclusion - all other reviewers gave good, very good score, but no one give so high... will wait for dxomark to see their score.
I'm not against Lumia, in fact I've waited too long for this devices, but the design, not stable windows 10 and battery life broke my deal. Will stay with 930 for some time. With windows 8.1.