Please report the O/S build number in the review.
nokialover, 08 Dec 20151. Go to wpcentral thousands of WP fans hate the design
2. Are you fooling yourself...what do... more1. Beauty is relative (IMO it's not that bad - but yes, there are better-looking phones on the market).
2. If you think about it, that should be the app developers' responsibility. MS does have a job to make the market share bigger.
3. Well, yeah I guess the battery could be a tad better. That's why it's a good idea not to buy phones on launch day. Give it a couple of months - it can improve.
4-5. It performs pretty well. Maybe not class-dominating, but still fine. MS should step up its game next time. But don't expect SLR performance anytime soon.
And yes, there are people who love their phone, and will use it until the end of time. And those people think: why buy something new when your old one ain't broke?
I'll comment both on the device and on the review (adding) as I read it...
1) Indeed they could do better with the design. Mozo could be bundled (or buy the design). If this sounds weird, you people should check the customization options LG offers from the factory. Good move.
2) Plastic is not CONSIDERED more durable than glass and lighter than metal. It actually IS. Indeed there are expensive options that can bridge those differences, BUT although they want us to believe it, the other (major) companies have NOT done it. iPhone took a few generations to be more scratch resistant and I dare you drop your S6 without a case (else why talk about looks?) not from 1m height, but from coffee table height.
3) Microsoft should have a central policy concerning the dock gift.
4) The price is proper considering the HARDWARE specs. It is a flagship of a major company after all.
5) Sound should be better. Mono rear is yesterday news. They should go, face (or maybe top-bottom sides) stereo.
6) Iris-only is no good. Fingerprint scanners have evolved significantly this year and MSFT shouldn't risk with a system that is still slow AND awkward to use. You can turn on AND unlock a Z5 in under a second by just holding the power button, or the back of a Huawei Mate S (in which case it also has more uses), just taking it out of your pocket. No need for awkward "positioning in front of the face" and risk you don't even get recognized. They should opt for simple fingerprint or put it in addition (fingerprint sensors are not an expensive part of the device this is why they now move in mid-range and soon low-end devices as part of a biometric-enabled market).
7) I don't get why Continuum does not support native 4K since 4K *IS* supported by 810 in the secondary display. Yes it would possibly be slower, but it should give the option. For photo viewing it would be perfect.
8) I won't talk about the camera of the device, there are numerous tests that put it right there at the top (or along others at the top). But I will say I expected more modes that are supported by 810 natively. It should be able to do 120 fps in higher resolution and even 240 fps in some.
9) Focus needs improvement. I think it is a software thing though.
10) Multi-day standby performance is a statistic for statistics. Nobody leaves a phone with zero charging more than two days nowadays.
11) I expect side-by-side app running to come in a future update. It *IS* a feature that Win 8/8.1 and 10 have even for metro (now universal) apps.
12) Seems your review is rather complete and rather objective. That said I would expect the common rant about lack of apps. Microsoft must push harder.
Thank you. I am buying it.
AnonD-259899, 08 Dec 2015Seems like you are 'crying' because the phone actually massively beat your Debbie Downer expec... more1. Go to wpcentral thousands of WP fans hate the design
2. Are you fooling yourself...what do u think about istagram BETA (since 1 year), Facebook app (by microsoft, FB didnt bother make one LOL) etc etc
3. You have to agree bettery was muhc better on 8.1, windows 10 is unfished OS, and battery life is horrible for 3400mAh
4. Its 2015 LOL, panoramo was common in 2011.
5. I agree with the quality bit. But what about the auto focus? Problem with 4 k rcording. Nowdays there is phase focus (S6, Iphone 6) and laser focus (G4), Microsft is still on with old slow focus (which is worst in low light)
I am a windows phone lover, therefore, I know the in and out. Good luck with ur zero resale Lumia 950!
yann, 08 Dec 2015I'm very surprised by this review. Till now, I was though that gsmarena make fair reviews, but... moreSeems like you are 'crying' because the phone actually massively beat your Debbie Downer expectations.
1) Design - subjective, what is flawed to you is great for someone else, your argument is irrelevant and so is any other reviewer's
2) Limited app gap:, Almost any, ANY, popular and useful app found on android/iOS is on Windows phone these days, everything else on android is just the usual garbage like the rest of the apple store apps. It is the quality that counts not the quantity. The lack of quality apps on Windows Phone OS was a 2013-14 thing, not anymore. If you are peddling that today I'll label you as a shill for some rival firm like Apple or Google.
3) Battery life - is far from awful, it is better than average but I'll agree it is not as good as what you would expect given the battery size and Windows Phone OS's claimed battery efficiency. But in any case it isn't awful, far from it, the only thing that shows poorly is the stand by drain. Individual test show great performance, it even beats my Oneplus One.
4) Panorama: Sure, Chinese phones have it and their implementations look no better than horse excrement. So yeah , better to have it done right or not have it at all.
5) Camera review - dunno about your eyes but those shots are indeed class leading, though overall in some aspects like level of detail in shadows are low, no smartphone is perfect, but my goodness that edge consistency in the Lumia 950s is the best bar none (well maybe the CM1 Lumix which is several leagues above the rest)
For someone who claims to have a 830 it is not convincing given the poor reasons you came up with against the 950. You start out questioning the fairness of the reviewers but it turns out you are really more cross at the points made for the phone than anything else, which leads me to question your credibility.
All that said, am I going to rush out and buy one of the 950s? Nope, infact no phone on the market has a compelling upgrade factor right now over what I already own, a Oneplus One. But if I were to be in the market for a new phone because I have a Galaxy S2 or something like that then this phone is a like a very good option even compared to my Oneplus One. You get the picture, there will be plenty of takers for this phone family because it isn't all that you want to make it out to be.
There is an FM radio on the 950XL, I have it
I'm very surprised by this review. Till now, I was though that gsmarena make fair reviews, but after 950 and 950XL I'm not so sure anymore. Why?
1. Design flows - just mentioned, but in these days this is most of the time deal braker.
2. Limited app gap - not even mentioned and people from windows society still wait for Snapchat and lot of cool apps that are missing from the store. Not to mention the quality of current ones - Booking is just like website link.
3. Battery life is awful - another deal braker for most of the users.
4. Missing features like Panorama mode - in this days that every Chinese phone had it is at least strange.
5. Camera review - not sure for the conclusion - all other reviewers gave good, very good score, but no one give so high... will wait for dxomark to see their score.
I'm not against Lumia, in fact I've waited too long for this devices, but the design, not stable windows 10 and battery life broke my deal. Will stay with 930 for some time. With windows 8.1.
Amazing review as always but I have one question for GSMArena.
Why do you praise these phones so much but when you review other phones you never recommend windows phones???
nokialover, 08 Dec 2015Read any forum wpcentral to cnet etc etc all of them have given it a low score due to unfinish... moreWhere it is expensive. Other brands start price is about 100 up to 400$€ more. Also you can change back cover for it to be more premium, metallic/glassy look would also mean non-replacable battery. Also even without astoria/islandwood/centennial/westminster/Mpayment/Mpen/polishedOS/200GBsdcard-inside...that will come..... it is good price.
Loving it,so far so good. Thanks Microsoft .
Read any forum wpcentral to cnet etc etc all of them have given it a low score due to unfinished OS, poor design, expensive cost, sad state of apps etc. Im surprised about this review and the comments below.
For instance, who wouldn't prefer carrying a sleek surface pro, tablet, ultrabook and connect to TV via normal miracast. Or will u really use continuum and carry a big keyboard mouse while u travel or go to meeting....
Once the hype of over, and virtually no resale....enjoy ur 950 and 950 xl....lol
Anonymous, 08 Dec 2015You know, I always thought that it would be an excruciating experience moving away from my bel... morehow much Microsoft paid u...just check any windows mobile forum and they are all hating it, due to an unfinished OS, and uninspiring design. Most of Microsoft services are available with more features on iOS and Android....
I will totaly buy it with snapdragon 820 since i`m planning on using continuum.810 with cooling is ok but 820 will be the real deal..oh well...maybe next year
Design-wise, it's a mixed bag. But once you go past that, you get something pretty amazing. And it will get better over time, hopefully.
Anonymous, 08 Dec 2015You know, I always thought that it would be an excruciating experience moving away from my bel... moreI'm considering doing the exact same thing as there is no decent successor to the note 3 that I have. Sure I could get the note 4 but I wouldn't be able to get it on contract and the note 5 is a downgrade due to no removable battery/Micro SD card slot.
Good to hear about your experience.
I'm still waiting Surface phone to emerge next year. The "Surface RT" mode in Lumia 950 Continuum desktop is so limited and even useless. Surface phone will clear the way to make a real Windows phone. And I'm definitely sure to buy a Surface Phone not a Lumia 950. Intel is involved in the Surface phone development, I wish Intel could bring a highly modified Skylake processor to Surface phone.
it has FM Radio, just put earphones on, and if you've experienced it, most of the phone before don't work with FM Radio without earphones on :)
Great device, Really a device that look futuristic and a phone that comes with features same as Desktop ..
Really loving this new windows 10 ....