I will never understand what Sony is trying to achieve with their "bricky" phones, with hug bezels and substandard spec. Nor I will ever understand how they are not yet out of business... To start with .. SD820 + andreo gpu is already on it's last legs and being phased out.. not a great option. Flagship with 1080p LCD?! what is that 2014 for you? LED with 1440p is pretty much standard now.. but even more surprisingly is ~70% screen to body ration, that is including "soft" on screen buttons. That is rubbish .. the only point to have annoying on screen buttons is to minimise the bezel and increase screen to body ration, if Samsung can approach ~80% with dedicated hardware keys, ~ 70% with on screen keys is really poor engineering. What is most annoying is that Sony definitely has potential to develop great phone which could make flagship market mode divers.. but honestly guys SGS7 released in 6 month ago is superior in any measurable way, I would say even SGS6 (especially edge) is better than that, yet both are availabel much cheaper due to one being 6 month old, and later being 1,5 years old it is possible to pick up SGS6e at half price of this junk XZ..
My suggestion to Sony - "just go and hide in shame.. when with all that knowledge you deliver such flop"..
So disapointed at X compact.
I waited and expect it is small version of XZ, 820 Snipdragon, 3G Ram
How ever, what's better it is compare to Z5C?
Also is the problem of touch monitor of Z3C,Z5C failed after 1 year remains? Is it same?
Jumbo, 05 Sep 2016You know what, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced there will be an XZ Compact o... moreyes you are right my friend.this X compact is a midranger compact phone.and XZ compact is yet to be announced and i hope sony does announce it coz many sony compact fans are eagerly waiting for it
Jim Wangi, 05 Sep 2016EIS (Electronic Images Stabilization ) is new tech from Sony. It is better than OIS. And the ... morewell said and true.z5 already proved its video stabilisation capability and now in xz its even better.cant wait for a review.
You know what, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced there will be an XZ Compact on the way. Reasons?
- Compact has always meant, "smaller without change in specs". THis Compact is a compact of the X, not a compact of the XZ.
- But "Compact" has always been of the flagship. THere are two models above the 'X' in the range now, and that intermediate model was also the first "X" to be released.
- X was released 6 months before X Compact. It takes time to miniaturise... So XZ Compact to be released at MWC in 6 months.
- Sony needs a headliner product for MWC. A new X wouldn't make sense after just outing the XZ now, there's no space in the range for anything to fit in-between the existing models. The only other possibility would be an X(Z) Premium/Ultra. Perhaps both as both are quite niche markets and wouldn't really stand on their own at an event.
- The X Compact is missing a few crucial features - no 4K, no waterproofing, just like the X was; and it's a lot thicker too. Bezels, I dunno, but it's clear that there's a step backwards from their efforts on the Z5C. That makes me think that they've made the XC deliberately with some room to improve, just like the X - so that there is also a market for the XZ C.
- So I think they might have realised their Compact is an angle they can work, so are bringing out Compacts of both the standard --and-- flagship models. We've seen the pricing of the XC - it's pretty reasonable. Definitely room to slot in the XZ C without pushing any other product too far out of view. Or at least the XC will have had six months to garner buyers, like the X had before the XZ.
The alternative, of course, is also possible - that Sony has given up on compact flagships altogether. That would really be a tragedy.. for me personally as much as for the Android market as a whole. But I'm going to assume that Sony has at least ---some--- sense still left in there. Despite all the recent evidence to the contrary.
EIS (Electronic Images Stabilization ) is new tech from Sony. It is better than OIS. And the new one with 5 axis.
Anonymous, 04 Sep 2016I don't see anyone complaining about SD 820 intead of 821 like with note 7 and people talk abo... morehaha nice one but you know when it comes to build quality sony has one of the best.sony only got two probs in my view.pricing and camera software optimization prob.otherwise sony hardwares are the best
Sony xperia x compact are steal my heart....only deal breaker for me is not water resistant and dust proof...but it's okay...for that price it's okay for me
I don't see anyone complaining about SD 820 intead of 821 like with note 7 and people talk about Samsung doing the same desing on everyphone and now sony comes and have the same design and for me is not the best one it loos cheap :D note 7 and Iphone 6s plus are the best phones the are monster performance good design, high quality materials :D let see what apple bring for Iphone 7 Im pretty sure design will continue looking better than sony.
zanbay, 03 Sep 2016Another brick in the wall...Yep,just like another hater on the list.
vrvly, 03 Sep 2016Maybe when S8/others come out next year we can expect real flagship like that Z5Premium, inclu... moreIf they would simply use a much brighter aperture while working on the full quality of their sensor, use much better and upgraded speakers, and use a larger battery ...on top of everything else they have done they would be set.
Sony make good sensors, sell sensor camera to other companies in the mobile market and..they make better camera then Sony!
New Compact is a joke, no SD 820, no IP 68, Compact always was top phones in smallerv dimensions. Now is only mid, but overprieced.
Anonymous, 03 Sep 2016Thus Sony XZ is Beast of Flagships. If we're talking about its aesthetics then yeah, it's indeed a beast.
Any phone that works well (that means not exploding, catch fire, shutdown, makes calls, etc) it good if the price is right...
"The only issues on the horizon are related to the pricing - Sony seems to want above Â€700 for the Xperia XZ and Â€500 for the Xperia X Compact. And there are more capable phones in these brackets out there that Sony seems to have been ignoring for quite a while."
Yep... Assuming the Z series prices, around here it will be 900~1000Â€ for the XZ and 600~700Â€ for the X compact. Those prices (in the article) are around when the next model is about to be sold. Good luck Sony, you'll need it.
Peter, 03 Sep 2016Camera samples are really bad :(((more of them shoot at 8 mp i don't know whyy
i see the 23 mp camera samples !! they are good and noise is reduced. when you zoom on 23 megapixel u can zoom more than a 12 mp picture this cause some people think noise is more than others but when u zoom like a 12 or 16 megapixel u can see the noise is not more but details is more than them .. xperia xz is true flagship for 2016 i will buy it . i really like it without any hype !!! android is a application based os like ios and hardware and os is a base for run applications a one important note that some companys forgot it . but xperia x is good base in both hardware and software for best experience in application and android world.