Anonymous, 29 Feb 2020It is not. Isocell is always weaker than exmor counterpart. Exmor costs more and still Hua... moreAbsolutely not. Show me one smartphone/competing smartphones that uses the Processor (SoC), and one Samsung and one Sony sensor with noticeable difference in quality. The difference in quality is mostly due to processing and also due to the Exynos processors' handling of image processing.
If Samsung is reading this, it needs to fix the following in the cameras:
1. The HDR is NOT using the complete capabilities of combining Tetracell HDR and Multi-Frame HDR well enough. It needs to use Both of them. Phones with lesser processing power can be forgiven for doing this, but phones with the Snapdragon 865 and 12Gb of RAM have absolutely no excuse for underutilizing the HDR capabilities.
2. The Noise reduction on Tetracell is not the same as on regular CFA Image Sensors. Samsung needs to tweak the Computational Photography Algorithms accordingly.
3. The issue with lowlight video not being better most likely has to do with poor management of the Tetracell exposure, and also relying solely on it. Samsung needs to sort this out.
4. The cameras are great, but very inconsistent, with exposure, focus, HDR levels, colour balance etc.
6. The S20 Series needs better customization and options in the camera app, much like the one on the Pixel 4 phones. It needs to have HDR sliders to adjust brightness and shadows when you compose. Also, there should 2-3 Strengths of HDR from Low, Medium to High, allowing more frames to be composed into the final image.
7. Like Panasonic's ILC PreBurst and a similar implementation on the iPhones, Samsung needs to start saving frames for HDR, as Soon and the Camera App is opened and, BEFORE the actual shutter is pressed. This should include Atleast 1 second of buffer frames (15-60 frames, depending upon the sensor's full frame readout speed). This will ensure that the quality of photos is even better and the processing is much faster.
I wish Samsung would reduce the price of the S20 Ultra by $149, if it meant NOT giving any freebies in the packaging
Have a superb trade-in plan program
have a 0% loan option for buyers.
Along with a 2 year updates roadmap (with another $50 paid one for 3 full years) and 100% damage protection for 1 time replacement of screen and back.
Anonymous, 29 Feb 2020Lol enabling camera2api is a 2 minute trick. Besides, I am using Custom ROM, so everything wa... moreHuh to enabling that mode on s10 Exynos version you have to root it. That is not safe.
The Last Oracle, 29 Feb 2020To save costs. The Samsung Image Sensor is as capable as the Sony ones, but its the Exynos pro... moreIt is not.
Isocell is always weaker than exmor counterpart.
Exmor costs more and still Huawei, Apple, OnePlus, Google, Lg and HTC choose to use exmor as main camera.
Iphones 11 series does not use them like 7, 8, X and Xs.
AnonD-914443, 29 Feb 2020I saw Samsung only uses Exynos processor and its own camera sensor for my country India. But f... moreTo save costs. The Samsung Image Sensor is as capable as the Sony ones, but its the Exynos processors, that have been slowly getting worse at Performance and Battery management. Samsung needs to push the Exynos to as few markets as possible, and mainly concentrate on the Snapdragon models.
AnonD-914443, 29 Feb 2020Then Exynos version of Samsung s10 doesn’t have camera 2api mode.Lol enabling camera2api is a 2 minute trick.
Besides, I am using Custom ROM, so everything was enabled out of the box.
The gcam may not work great for videos but it is superb for nighttime photos.
Some users have reported portrait mode not working, but I don't use that mode.
I use gcam for night time pics not for videos or anything else.
Really nice writeup. Makes one to stick with the reading.
The Last Oracle, 29 Feb 2020Rhe amount of hate here would make people believe it's a terrible phone. It really isn't. It h... moreNo problem with the Snapdragon version... everyone likes it...but Samsung pushes out their Exynos that everyone hates to all the markets except for US & South Korea...
Exynos is not capable and not on same level as Snapdragon chips...
This time they'll loose coz more ppl know the poor performance of their Exynos and there's more noise...a lot of ppl are not buying this expensive Exynos $hit...
I'll rather import there US version or buy a Sony with SD865 then get this poor Exynos phone...
They are already reporting low pre-orders & guess whose fault is it...lol
Anonymous, 29 Feb 2020Camera2api is available. Gcam fully functional. Can already click RAW images. Then Exynos version of Samsung s10 doesn’t have camera 2api mode.
AnonD-914443, 29 Feb 2020If there is camera 2api mode unavailable on a device. That mean gcam unable to access raw phot... moreCamera2api is available.
Gcam fully functional.
Can already click RAW images.
The Last Oracle, 29 Feb 2020Rhe amount of hate here would make people believe it's a terrible phone. It really isn't. It h... moreI saw Samsung only uses Exynos processor and its own camera sensor for my country India. But for other country they uses Sanapdragon and Sony camera sensor. Why ?
Anonymous, 29 Feb 2020Saw Micheal fisher and other youtubers review the phone. All of them report great battery life... moreRhe amount of hate here would make people believe it's a terrible phone. It really isn't. It has a much larger battery, great 5G, much faster refresh rate and even better screen, much better onboard speakers, and a lot more. It isn't perfect, to be fair. But it definitely leads the Android pack, albeit by a margin.
The only 2 complaints, IMHO, are:
2. It's not the absolutely best smartphone camera ever produced.
The proce is definitely a lot, but it does bring huge improvements. Samsung should throw in better freebies or have a better exchange program.
About the Camera, well its improving. I agree that Samsung rushed it. They need to tweak the algorithms to go easy on the noide reduction, digital sharpening and improve shadow details during daytime a little bit. Hopefully, once the Camera firmware comes out, testing will let us know the real picture. Also, if the Exynos version isn't capable enough, they should try to push out the Snapdragon to way more markets.
Flgshp2020, 29 Feb 2020Says the guy who never tweaked the HDR settings. You do realize that HDR settings can be twea... moreWhat ever you say I don’t believe in single frame HDR. Even dslr camera stakes at least 2 to 3 frames for HDR. So, don’t make me laugh.
Anonymous, 29 Feb 2020Lol gcam is widely available for s10 series. Every instruction including files and best confi... moreIf there is camera 2api mode unavailable on a device. That mean gcam unable to access raw photo of that device. So, gacm only can access processed jpeg file. JPEG Photo stacking means not so detailed photo.
AnonD-914443, 29 Feb 2020I don’t believe in single frame HDR. They looks huge noisy and unnatural.Says the guy who never tweaked the HDR settings.
You do realize that HDR settings can be tweaked right?
By default, different profiles for hdr modes also available.
AnonD-914443, 29 Feb 2020How you are using gcam on s10 ? There is no camera 2api mode on s10..so far I know. Lol gcam is widely available for s10 series.
Every instruction including files and best configuration settings are available all over YouTube.
Flgshp2020, 29 Feb 2020Single frame HDR is the best on S20 Ultra. I don’t believe in single frame HDR. They looks huge noisy and unnatural.