Guys I've bought an HTC One-X over a month ago and i have to tell you, its absolutely brilliant. i have absolutely no regrets about it. Let me give you a clear picture about this phone,
1)GREAT screen... absolutely crystal clear and it almost looks like the images are hovering a few inches above the actual screen itself. The viewing angles are so good that you wonder why phones weren't always built like this.
2) Built quality: this is one of the most beautiful phones I've ever put my hands on. I've had an iPhone 4 before this and let me tell you one thing, its as good or in some ways even better !!
3) Speed: this phone is almost stupidly fast, theres never a lag between tasks and ts absolutely responsive to every input you give it. all apps start up very briskly and run amazingly smooth.
4) Camera: I am a photographer and though i'd never use my phones cam to take really important shots, this ones camera is really good. its more than what you can ask for from a Mobile Phone.
5) HTC Sense: i kno a few of you might not like HTC Sense but its my first time and I've absolutely fallen in love with the interface. this is intact my first android phone and i am in love with the freedom this software gives when you compare it to the IOS.
6) very nice sound, the beats enhancement works for me whose a casual music listener, am not looking for the inch perfect audio quality that some people want and it is quite loud too.
there really aren't many cons here but ill try to nitpick and give you a few
1) Low light performance of the camera isn't as good as may the best camera phones out there. the phones a little too big to take landscape pics with one hand.
2) Now many people have been complaining about the battery but for me it comfortably lasts about 24 hours between charges. if i use it very heavily, it still lasts a minimum of 12 hours. it was bad initially but after a few charge cycles, it stabilized. i really don't think its bad for such a powerful device, i mean , what more do you want than a phone which under heavy usage , still lasts from 8 am to about 10 pm.(though for me it lasts much more than that coz i don't use it so heavily every single day)
3) the phone doesn't have a proper screen guard available coz the glass curves and all the scene guards available don't cover the entire glass area. I haven bothered getting one coz its gorilla glass anyway and doesn't get scratched unless you do something really stupid like put a knife across it.
4) though am happy with the battery's power, it takes a bit long to charge. it takes about 2 hours to fully charge and this might put off people who look to charge it during the day. i just plug it in at night when i sleep to get around this.
thats about it guys, i was really nitpicking with the cons though. its an absolutely brilliant phone and well worth the money. i know that the SGS-3 is out now and it has better benchmarks and all that but you do have to realize one thing, we buy phones for much more than just some synthetic benchmarks. Plus you will never run an app which might require all the processing power a beast like this has to offer.
Another reason why i would say this is better than the SGS-3 is that, the built is in many ways a generation ahead of the samsung. no offense to samsung fans but, theSGS-3 has a pathetic finish to it with all those silver grills and shiny plastic. this phone by comparison looks like a jewel (I've got the white one). people always asks me about it when i take it out of my pocket. Its an amazing phone guys, i would still recommend this over the Samsung Galaxy s-3. This phone might not have the raw processing power but it will more than make up for it with its looks and built quality. i give a lot of importance to the materials my fingers touch when i use a device and this one just doesn't disappoint. Fantastic Phone !!!!!
Denzo, 13 May 2012Ok you make some valid points, and I agree.. what does an extra 144,000 pixels mean for the sc... moreIts funny how every HTC fan has to keep stating benchmarks mean nothing and that it has better low light so sgs3 isn't worth it. Lmao. And then try and turn it around on us. You are silly to say benchmarks are meaningless, just the same as saying superior hardware is meaningless. Is it everything? Of course, but it sure accounts for something. And how on death does not features plus you liking design better make it better? Sure it takes better low light, but the sgs3 was all around way better. In good lighting the pictures were drastically better at first glance without zoom.
Video was far superior and in complete dark the flash is gonna do you much better. And the browser mark also means a heck of a lot. Means the sgs3 is almost guaranteed to load pages way more efficiently. USER NOTICEBLY. Also the more powerful gpu will definitely become apparent when thins get demanding. Especially in gaming.
So the s3 has a better screen, option for more than triple the memory, a vastly greater camera, longer lasting battery that can be replaced, much better in sun, stronger chipset, willalmost without a doubt have a much more fluid user experience, and just all around is better, but because HTC takes good low light and looks nicer in your opinion everyone can say everything about s3 is meaningless? No. PS everytime I see hox I think hoax. Lmao. Not in any of this to say that I don't think that hox isn't a good phone. It is. If you prefer it then get it. Just keep your jealousies to yourself.
I would like to know if SGS3 records high volume with no distorted sound. I don't see this kind of test in any review. I know that SGS1 sound recording can be optimized with Voodoo sounds and that SGS2 cannot use it because it has Yamaha chipset. What about the 3rd one? It is important for us to know if we are able to record the sound of a concert without being worried that the sound will be distorted. Apple 4 and 4s shines at this and for my SGS2 I have to use the mic from headsets to record a good sound.
sgs3 = better battery life,better sound quality/loudness,better video recording . definitely choose sgs3 even its look a bit ugly than one X..but one X price is suitable rather than previously overprice htc phone,congrats for that
[deleted post]I think you've meant "hillbillies" instead of "real men".
so tegra3 companion core for what?for playing math game,4+1=5?
the one s outperforms the s3 in some aspect,,it is only dual core..and it's brand is HTC..how is that copycat samsung..
True, we need to charge the phone at the end of the day. But the real problem is do you need to 'ration' the usage of your phone to keep it alive till you reach home??
Im a sg2 user and i have to preserve my phone till i get home. Luckily i can swap my batt anytime i want. And if the statistics is true on sg3, i will definitely buy it!
Lastly, i admit the looks on sg3 is a little dull. But hey, im not joining a fashion show. It. Is the TECHNOLOGIES that counts!
This review is pretty well except the biased camera test.
The OneX takes photos in the cloudy day, while S3 takes in the sunlight.While he states "You'll notice that the weather wasn't identical for the two contenders, but lighting conditions were similar enough to make the images comparable. ", It's hard to image "lighting conditions were similar" when one is filled with cloud and another one is under the sunlight.
The photos also shows that. Most OneX's pics are darker and not so appealing when comparing to S3 (even S2).
This defect makes this review not so convincing since taking photos in the same place at the same the should be easy. Are there some "reasons" that prevent you to doing so?
can't believe an already updated htc x got beat by a prototype sgs3.
i can't imagine what and updated sgs3 would do to htc x.
Dave, 14 May 2012I can't wait till we see the sales for the Galaxy S 3. The One X will fall. The looks of the p... moreIs it proven by research that the majority of people use cases with their phones? I can imagine that smaller phones, yes.. but the trend (as evidenced by the two best Android devices discussed here) is pointing towards larger mobiles.
IMO, part of the triumphs of both SGSIII and HOX (though I've never seen the SGSIII in real life) is that despite their huge screens, they're lightweight and thin, and don't seem cumbersome. Putting them in a case takes away from that. I have a HOX and I wouldn't dream about putting it in a case, as the phone is big enough already.
Interesting read and good review. I too am wondering why, although the Samsung wins almost all the battles, did GSMArena still call it a draw??
I was going to wait for the SIII before upgrading, but needed a phone quickly so got the One X 2 weeks ago. Don't regret it one bit - I'm thoroughly enjoying the phone and have not had any problems with it. The user experience is just great, and boy is it fast. The attractive design sold me when I tried one out in the shop. I got the white one, don't use a case because the phone is big enough already, and I love looking at it in all its glory.
I think the reason it's been called a draw is because benchmarks often don't really amount to much in real world usage. Obviously the reviewers felt that both phones are extremely fast and deliver great user experiences, and Sense seems to be generally better received than Touchwiz.
Anonymous, 13 May 2012I do agree the GS2 and HOX are both very fast with HOX getting the edge. Why? Nothing embarras... moreUI and many other features seemed quicker on the GS3 in every handson video than HOX. When we add web browser to the equation, gap gets even bigger